• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarCraft III Patch 1.29 Widescreen Included |OT| Lok'Tar Ogar Edition!

Velius

Banned
u8ASvAV.jpg

WarCraft III: Patch 1.29

Facts:
-Widescreen Support
-Hero Balance Tweaks
-Map Updates

-24 Player Support (Experimental)

Battle.net patch notes. Kind of sparse right now but the big thing is that WarCraft III, also known as the greatest RTS ever, is getting some special treatment including a Widescreen option and, in all likelihood, higher resolutions.

A long, long time ago this little game called WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos came out and blew my mind. The music, graphics, characters, everything were simply irresistable. I remember I'd been waiting to upgrade for Doom III but when I saw this I had to splurge and give my rig the necessary accommodations for this monster.

I don't think I've ever gotten more value out of a single game. I have poured probably months of play time into this guy. The map editor allowed us to make charming campaigns and diversified multiplayer in an unprecedented fashion. I'll never forget the first time I played "Werewolf". Gotta hand it to Blizz and indeed the entire battle.net community-- there is a fountain of creativity to be plundered.

Just make sure no tainted blood is pouring forth from said fountain.

FOR HONOR! Some screenshots of our beloved WarCraft III, filled to the brim with meaty gameplay, excellent voice acting and a story unmarred by homogenized, cookie cutter MMO's!
0wO1s4m.jpg

QwDAJyk.jpg

eTIrLWM.jpg

uN0rD4G.jpg

DHzz3WC.jpg

9WEt7Uw.jpg

---Balance Notes---

Mountain King (See how stonefaced you are now that your hammer's smaller!)
-Base Speed increased from 270 to 290
-Stormbolt: Level 2 damage reduction from 225 to 210
-Stormbolt: Level 3 damage reduction from 350 to 325
-Thunderclap: Level 1 damage increased from 60 to 65 and radius from 25 to 30
-Thunderclap: Level 2 damage increased from 100 to 125 and radius from 30 to 35
-Thunderclap: Level 3 damage increased from 140 to 175 and radius from 35 to 40

Paladin (We now have to wait five seconds less to FF you)
-Attack Speed: default changed from 2.2 to 2.0
-Divine Shield: Level 2 duration decreased from 30 to 25
-Divine Shield: Level 3 duration decreased from 45 to 35

Blade Master (BAHAHAHAHA YOU GOT BORKED!)
-Mirror Image Mana cost reduction from 125 to 115
-Critical Strike: +Damage item interaction with multiplier has been removed
-Current, 40avg+10 from items, so (40+10)*3=150
-Change, 40avg+10 from items, so (40*3)+10=130
(This might not seem like a big deal but it will greatly reduce the brokenness of of a BM collecting say, 3 Claws of +12)

Far Seer (Clearly one of the balance directors is a Stark fan)
-Feral Spirit: XP granted to enemy has been reduced
-Feral Spirit: Increased Unit Level 1 and 2
-Feral Spirit: Increased Level 1 HP, from 200 to 250
-Feral Spirit: Increased Level 2 HP, from 300 to 350
-Feral Spirit: Stats Level: Level 2; Stats: Level 4 to Stats Level 3
-Feral Spirit: Stats Level: Level 3; Stats: Level 5 to Stats Level 4
-Chain Lightning: All Levels, damage reduction decreased per target from 0.15 to 0.10 (This is a buff)
-Far Sight: No Mana cost- Cooldown set at 60, 45 and 30 seconds respectively for levels 1, 2 and 3.

Tauren Chieftain (There's a lot at steak here)
-Base Speed: Increased from 270 to 290
-Reincarnation occurrance: reduced from 7 to 5 seconds
-War Stomp: Level 1 damage increased from 25 to 30
-War Stomp: Level 2 damage increased from 50 to 60
-War Stomp: Level 3 damage increased from 75 to 90

Dread Lord (He really sucks. Get it? He SUCKS! ...Sorry)
-Carrion Swarm: Mana cost for all levels reduction from 110 to 100
-Carrion Swarm: Can now target mechanical units
-Sleep: Cooldown for all levels reduction from 6 seconds to 4
-Sleep: Mana reduction 100, 75 and 50 to 80, 65 and 50
-Sleep: Duration reduction from 20(5), 40(10) and 60(15) to 15(4), 35(8) and 55(12)
-Vampiric Aura: Bonus increase for DL
--Level 1: 15% to 25%
--Level 2: 30% to 35%
--Level 3: 45% to 50%

Crypt Lord (Here to avenge every spider you've crushed. They keep count. Seriously)
-Carrion Beetles: Level 1 HP Increased from 140 to 170 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Carrion Beetles: Level 2 HP Increased from 275 to 330 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Carrion Beetles: Level 1 HP Increased from 410 to 490 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 50 to 75
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 80 to 120
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 110 to 165

Lich (The ancient evil can try)

Priestess of The Moon (Now with more (less?) lingerie!)
-Attack Speed cooldown: From 2.46 to 2.33

Keeper of The Grove (We're rooting for him)
-Starting Attributes: Intelligence increased from 18 to 19
-Tranquility: 3 seconds of invulnerability have been added to the start of the casting of this spell
-Tranquility: Duration reduced from 30 seconds to 15
-Healing: Increased from 20 to 40 per second
-Entangling Roots: Unit Root: Level 2, from 24 seconds to 18; Level 3, from 36 to 30
-Entangling Roots: Hero Root- Level 2, from 3 seconds to 5; Level 3, from 5 seconds to 7
-Entangling Roots: DPS- Level 2, 15 to 20; Level 3, 25 to 30
-Force of Nature: Treants Damage increased from 14 to 16

Warden (Pissy ex with a knife and a grudge)
-Blink: Level 2, cooldown reduction from 10 seconds to 7
-Blink: Level 3, cooldown increase from 1 second to 4 (Ouch)

Naga Sea Witch (So much fun she'll make you forget your safeword)

Pandaren Brewmaster (Don't try the fire spewing thing. Just don't do it)

Goblin Tinker (Some witty comment)
-Cluster Rockets- This ability can now target air units
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 1: From 8.75 to 11.25
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 2: From 16.25 to 18.75
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 3: From 25.00 to 27.50

Last edited:

Allandor

Wow, never thought they would add a 24-player support even it is experimental in an such old game.
official Wide-screen support is really a great feature. Now I need a Warcraft 2 Patch, too :)

Bolivar687

Banned
Nice. I remember having to make resolution edits almost every time I tried to play when a friend of mine and I started messing around with it again.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I dont need this now ffs :(

I returned my 34" 21:9 monitor 1 year ago.
It broke after 8 months (no lg for me)
Got my money back tho.
And tried 3 monitors returned em all.
I want to get a good one :(
I have my old dell ultrasharp 27"1440p ips
And so far nothing comes close to this screen 😐.

But i miss 21:9 its the most immersive way besides vr to play pc games 😑

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Looking forward to complete my education next Friday and pass the tests so I can install this!

Damn I hoped for so long that we would see a remake, and instead they make a patch for the game holy hell I wanted to revisit war 3 for so long.

How’s the playerbase now, and what about custom maps are they still well alive?

Azathoth

Neo Member
With the effort they're putting into this I think we have to expect some form of a remaster, likely similar to SCR where the old game is overlayed with graphics updates that can be turned off. But even if not, I'm very excited. WC3 is an outstanding game and it's good to see Blizzard update it 15 years later.

SirNinja

WarCraft IV when?
World of Warcraft picked up where The Frozen Throne left off and has continued to tell the story of that universe ever since. Warcraft IV will only become a serious possibility when WoW stops printing several Everest-sized mountains of cash for Blizzard on a daily basis.

Jon Neu

Banned
Warcraft III is one of my favorite games ever, one I still play today.

I think I'm not the only one agonizing for a Warcraft IV game. It doesn't even need to have much better graphics, just be bigger and have more races.

Velius

Banned
World of Warcraft picked up where The Frozen Throne left off and has continued to tell the story of that universe ever since. Warcraft IV will only become a serious possibility when WoW stops printing several Everest-sized mountains of cash for Blizzard on a daily basis.
I know it's wishful thinking at best but I'm hoping that they completely ignore everything in WoW in terms of narrative, and pick up with Arthas becoming the Lich King.

Arthas Menethil is perhaps the greatest character in video game history. He deserves better than to be killed by 40 nameless teenagers on a Saturday night.

With the effort they're putting into this I think we have to expect some form of a remaster, likely similar to SCR where the old game is overlayed with graphics updates that can be turned off. But even if not, I'm very excited. WC3 is an outstanding game and it's good to see Blizzard update it 15 years later.
Honestly I think unfortunately it's more likely the opposite. Why would they go through this trouble if a new version was coming soon?

I was never the biggest fan of WC3, but I do hope they remaster it soon.

Allandor

I wonder why they did not integrate it into their battle.net "Downloadmanager". Automatic download and installations via this launcher should not be that hard.

I wonder why they did not integrate it into their battle.net "Downloadmanager". Automatic download and installations via this launcher should not be that hard.

I think they will eventually, however I think the major reason we haven't seen an official remake/remaster of the game is because of the elephant in the room which is Dota. As long as Blizzard continues supporting Hots I just don't see it happening, which is why I believe we won't despite all the rumors lately of a WC3 remaster happening.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
---Balance Notes---

Mountain King (See how stonefaced you are now that your hammer's smaller!)
-Stormbolt: Level 2 damage reduction from 225 to 210
-Stormbolt: Level 3 damage reduction from 350 to 325
-Thunderclap: Level 1 damage increased from 60 to 65 and radius from 25 to 30
-Thunderclap: Level 2 damage increased from 100 to 125 and radius from 30 to 35
-Thunderclap: Level 3 damage increased from 140 to 175 and radius from 35 to 40

Paladin (We now have to wait five seconds less to FF you)
-Attack Speed: default changed from 2.2 to 2.0
-Divine Shield: Level 2 duration decreased from 30 to 25
-Divine Shield: Level 3 duration decreased from 45 to 35

Blade Master (BAHAHAHAHA YOU GOT BORKED!)
-Mirror Image Mana cost reduction from 125 to 115
-Critical Strike: +Damage item interaction with multiplier has been removed
-Current, 40avg+10 from items, so (40+10)*3=150
-Change, 40avg+10 from items, so (40*3)+10=130
(This might not seem like a big deal but it will greatly reduce the brokenness of of a BM collecting say, 3 Claws of +12)

Far Seer (Clearly one of the balance directors is a Stark fan)
-Feral Spirit: XP granted to enemy has been reduced
-Feral Spirit: Increased Unit Level 1 and 2
-Feral Spirit: Increased Level 1 HP, from 200 to 250
-Feral Spirit: Increased Level 2 HP, from 300 to 350
-Feral Spirit: Stats Level: Level 2; Stats: Level 4 to Stats Level 3
-Feral Spirit: Stats Level: Level 3; Stats: Level 5 to Stats Level 4
-Chain Lightning: All Levels, damage reduction decreased per target from 0.15 to 0.10 (This is a buff)
-Far Sight: No Mana cost- Cooldown set at 60, 45 and 30 seconds respectively for levels 1, 2 and 3.

Tauren Chieftain (There's a lot at steak here)
-Reincarnation occurrance: reduced from 7 to 5 seconds
-War Stomp: Level 1 damage increased from 25 to 30
-War Stomp: Level 2 damage increased from 50 to 60
-War Stomp: Level 3 damage increased from 75 to 90

-Carrion Swarm: Mana cost for all levels reduction from 110 to 100
-Carrion Swarm: Can now target mechanical units
-Sleep: Cooldown for all levels reduction from 6 seconds to 4
-Sleep: Mana reduction 100, 75 and 50 to 80, 65 and 50
-Sleep: Duration reduction from 20(5), 40(10) and 60(15) to 15(4), 35(8) and 55(12)
-Vampiric Aura: Bonus increase for DL
--Level 1: 15% to 25%
--Level 2: 30% to 35%
--Level 3: 45% to 50%

Crypt Lord (Here to avenge every spider you've crushed. They keep count. Seriously)
-Carrion Beetles: Level 1 HP Increased from 140 to 170 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Carrion Beetles: Level 2 HP Increased from 275 to 330 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Carrion Beetles: Level 1 HP Increased from 410 to 490 and movement speed increased from 270 to 290
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 50 to 75
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 80 to 120
-Impale: Level 1 damage increased from 110 to 165

Lich (The ancient evil can try)

Priestess of The Moon (Now with more (less?) lingerie!)
-Attack Speed cooldown: From 2.46 to 2.33

Keeper of The Grove (We're rooting for him)
-Starting Attributes: Intelligence increased from 18 to 19
-Tranquility: 3 seconds of invulnerability have been added to the start of the casting of this spell
-Tranquility: Duration reduced from 30 seconds to 15
-Healing: Increased from 20 to 40 per second
-Entangling Roots: Unit Root: Level 2, from 24 seconds to 18; Level 3, from 36 to 30
-Entangling Roots: Hero Root- Level 2, from 3 seconds to 5; Level 3, from 5 seconds to 7
-Entangling Roots: DPS- Level 2, 15 to 20; Level 3, 25 to 30
-Force of Nature: Treants Damage increased from 14 to 16

Warden (Pissy ex with a knife and a grudge)
-Blink: Level 2, cooldown reduction from 10 seconds to 7
-Blink: Level 3, cooldown increase from 1 second to 4 (Ouch)

Naga Sea Witch (So much fun she'll make you forget your safeword)

Pandaren Brewmaster (Don't try the fire spewing thing. Just don't do it)

Goblin Tinker (Some witty comment)
-Cluster Rockets- This ability can now target air units
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 1: From 8.75 to 11.25
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 2: From 16.25 to 18.75
-Cluster Rockets- Damage increased- Level 3: From 25.00 to 27.50

Last edited:

Lucumo

Widescreen let's you see way too much.

w3a.png

patch_129.png

Change to minimum movespeed is pretty bs as well (270->290), as is no mana cost for Far Sight for Far Seer. Apart from that, there are some more minor issues like overbuffing Firelord and 3-seconds invulnerability when casting Tranquility. Meh.

llien

-Thunderclap: Level 1 damage increased from 60 to 65 and radius from 25 to 60
Is this a typo?

I used to do nice meat wagon + necro build with him (don't remember if 30 food or 40 food), facerolling even over people who clearly outskilled me (my micro is terrible), even in situations when they have survived the first hit AND built the (in theory) perfect counter, dispelling the skellies.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Is this a typo?

I used to do nice meat wagon + necro build with him (don't remember if 30 food or 40 food), facerolling even over people who clearly outskilled me (my micro is terrible), even in situations when they have survived the first hit AND built the (in theory) perfect counter, dispelling the skellies.
Uh... yeah, thanks. Hahaha now that I think about it that's pretty funny.

They REALLY want you to put one point and one point only into TC

Velius

Banned
Widescreen let's you see way too much.
Change to minimum movespeed is pretty bs as well (270->290), as is no mana cost for Far Sight for Far Seer. Apart from that, there are some more minor issues like overbuffing Firelord and 3-seconds invulnerability when casting Tranquility. Meh.

When you say way too much, do you mean it raises concerns about visibility thus changing the gameplay? Or just the way it looks?

Also curious to know your thoughts on the speed increase for every hero I guess. What problems do you forsee?

llien

What about the Blood Elf hero (I loved banish + griffon FF combo), OP, was it you or Blizzard forgetting him?

Lucumo

When you say way too much, do you mean it raises concerns about visibility thus changing the gameplay? Or just the way it looks?

Also curious to know your thoughts on the speed increase for every hero I guess. What problems do you forsee?
It changes the battle dynamics. Warcraft 3 is a micro game. And since there are tons of small skirmishes, you would want your camera closer to the action as it's better for control etc. Apart from that, it makes large fights (which happen a lot more rarely due to how the supply penalty works) easier since proper positioning can be done more easily (which is bad, you always want a high skill ceiling for your game - one reason Brood War was played as much before Blizzard helped kill off the professional scene in South Korea). (Also, if you see more, you might not miss some air units or such barely passing by your general vision which would be a shame.)

There are several aspects. Death Knight's "Unholy Aura" becomes less useful. The economy changes a lot since players won't invest in Boots of Speed anymore (or a lot less at least). And most important of all, units such as Raiders who are used to catch slow heroes and other units are losing a decent amount of their usability. And don't forget the Blademaster snacking Saga Sea Witch (which was already a pretty decent hero) because someone skipped buying boots for her.

sp00byplz

Neo Member
Hey guys! I was so happy knowing this patch was out that I made a video of myself thinking in coming back.

PS: I did and they really made me cry remembering how bad I am with undead.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Tried it a bit this weekend. Was fun but sadly the online is more or less dead.

1-2 custom games, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 was dead, 1v1 takes around 20 seconds to get into a game, but I prefer 4v4.

Allandor

Well, just played it again a few minutes ago. It is quite a culture shock to just play this old game again after so many years :)
First thing ... the german version has horrible voices. I need to download the GB version again (thanks blizzards that you have downloaders for all languages :) ).

Rodolink

One of the few RTS I really liked and endured finishing. "Endured" because I don't like RTS they give me frustration while playing instead of pleasure, so they feel more like work than game. But this one had so beautiful CGIs that it was worth it just to be able to watch those few minutes of joy!

ilfait

One of the best multiplayer games ever made. Not sure about those balance changes; the hero speed changes especially seem like they could be a bad idea. I'd have to put some time in to fairly judge, but I haven't played in about 2 years, and wasn't really planning to go back.

The only thing that actually needed patching was the cheating. The game's best played full retro on a soft 4:3 CRT anyway. I don't trust Blizzard to make good decisions anymore.

Last edited:
Because if it's like SCR, the remaster overlays the original game. It's not two separate clients.
Well, SCR is literally a separate client, which is what I was getting at. Put in other terms, I don't know why they'd give the original Warcraft 3 release a spiffy widescreen update if they were soon then going to try to sell everybody a new version where that would be an obvious improvement. (I suppose it could just be Blizzard being nice, but I play Hearthstone so I have little faith in any generosity on the part of Blizzard.)

But thinking about it more, it is possible the rest of the updates would be so significant that widescreen isn't that big of a deal in comparison. We'll see, I guess!

No, it isn't. The remaster is a toggle in the game. Original SC and SCR are the same client.
Uh, then why did all of us original Starcraft owners have to rebuy the remastered version? You might be confusing client with something else, but Starcraft Remastered is a separate, new product. It's broadly compatible with the original Starcraft in many ways, but it's by definition a new client.

llien

But this one had so beautiful CGIs that it was worth it just to be able to watch those few minutes of joy!

Curiously, Blizzards's team working on cinematics was 85 people, entire dev team for WoW was 45 (not counting quest designers of course), it was years ago when this info was revealed (don't remember where it was :(), could be more today.

I doubt any other company on this planet invests so much effort into it.

Reminder: 2002

They got better later on, WoW 2017:

Last edited:
Top Bottom