• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe coming to Nintendo Switch

That's not an Option in a LOT of Countries. Also what WiFi you mean? Like the ones at a Starbucks? You can barely send an email with those shitty connections I don't think you can play a videogame properly with low ping.
University and highschool wi fi is great for students. Malls. Business places of work. Many public places. Plus bed play for a half an hour before sleep is the best thing ever.

TV is one of the last places I want or have time to play.

Especially with performance like on PS4.

Last edited:
Looks like Crossplay is coming. Tisk tisk Sony.

“Since announcing Warframe coming to the Switch, we've received an incredible amount of positive reception from both our community and Nintendo players,” says Digital Extremes Studio Manager Sheldon Carter in an email to TechRadar. “We’re exploring all options for people to play on and with the Nintendo Switch.”

While a PR representative at Digital Extremes couldn’t tell us when, exactly, that crossplay functionality might happen, they did ensure us that it was currently under investigation and said it's something the company would like to do​
https://www.techradar.com/news/warf...-developer-says-its-exploring-all-the-options

Mr Hyde

I played around 100h of Warframe when it first released on PS4 and seeing this new footage on Switch it looks like a whole new game. It looks barely nothing like I remember it. Gonna dive back in to this when it drops on Switch. The updates the dev team has done has taken it to another level.

ultrazilla

I've played Warframe on the PS4 Pro and while fun, just couldn't "get into" the lore/style of the armor designs.

That being said, the footage of the un-docked Switch Warframe looked pretty damn impressive! Hopefully Panic Button will make the docked/tv version pleasant on the eyes as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PB are absolute pros. Day one here.

Codes 208

I played around 100h of Warframe when it first released on PS4 and seeing this new footage on Switch it looks like a whole new game. It looks barely nothing like I remember it. Gonna dive back in to this when it drops on Switch. The updates the dev team has done has taken it to another level.
Tbf to PB, theyve made a lot of overhauls and major updates even with the xbox launch. This is definitely not the same game as the vanilla release

EDarkness

This is my most anticipated game of the month. Can't wait to play it. I had to free up some space on my SD card, but I think I'm set for next Tuesday!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I tried this game day 1 on my launch ps4
It was shit.
But everyone says the game got amazing

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

This is gonna be so much fun to play again. Panik button does incredible wonders with the Switch. Need an SD card though.

Last edited:

EDarkness

I haven't really followed the game that much, but seems like there's actually some story and crazy plot stuff going on. That's good. Gonna try to get my wife to join me in the game as well. I hope she can get into it.

AntsaK2

Neo Member
This looks once again a great Switch port. I played Warframe about a year ago for some 60-70 hours but I did not quite get the loop. If I understand it correctly your progress is tied to your weapons and Warframes so you are supposed to level up your gear in order to make progress in the game itself. This however means that once you level up your weapon to its max you should make a new one and start leveling it from zero. In comparison to loot driven games like Diablo or Division I get the feeling I am constantly been pushed back instead of making small leaps forward.

I know that million flies can't be wrong so I am interested see hear how do you guys see Warframes loop and what I should think differently in order the once again enjoy this game?

VertigoOA

Banned
This looks once again a great Switch port. I played Warframe about a year ago for some 60-70 hours but I did not quite get the loop. If I understand it correctly your progress is tied to your weapons and Warframes so you are supposed to level up your gear in order to make progress in the game itself. This however means that once you level up your weapon to its max you should make a new one and start leveling it from zero. In comparison to loot driven games like Diablo or Division I get the feeling I am constantly been pushed back instead of making small leaps forward.

I know that million flies can't be wrong so I am interested see hear how do you guys see Warframes loop and what I should think differently in order the once again enjoy this game?

I’ve felt similar. Thought it had the most grindy mechanics I’ve ever encountered as well. I hate the combat and the overall art direction is atrocious imo. I didnt play the open world update tho. I stopped once before it launched. I’m still of the impression it’s one of those f2p games that people say is good on GAF and reset but in the real world no one plays it (on console at least).

Switch release should do wonders tho. I kinda expect it to be a hit. There’s nothing like it on the console. Actually the switch is starving for hardcore content so I’m actually quite optimistic about warframe in switch.

I would love to see what a complete Destiny 1 would do on switch. It ran on 360 and PS3 until year 3.

Last edited:

AntsaK2

Neo Member
I’ve felt similar. Thought it had the most grindy mechanics I’ve ever encountered as well. I hate the combat and the overall art direction is atrocious imo. I didnt play the open world update tho. I stopped once before it launched

I liked combat very much, but yeah the art style is quite polarizing. Good thing though that every game won't look the same.

Barnabot

Downloading now. Hello Warframe, my long lost friend. And bye Fortnite. You just got beheaded by the rule of Highlander.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I've got to say, from that video the port looks pretty good. I won't be playing it on my switch because I am too invested in my PS4 version and since there isn't shared progress, I'm not interested in restarting. But I'm glad the game is even more accessible now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've got to say, from that video the port looks pretty good. I won't be playing it on my switch because I am too invested in my PS4 version and since there isn't shared progress, I'm not interested in restarting. But I'm glad the game is even more accessible now.
Boot it up and give us your impressions, pretty-please. Since you're already invested in the PS4 version, you'll have a sharper eye for the differences and whether or not the compromises are "worth it".

Fbh

Pretty impressive port. Was expecting it to look and perform much worse.
It's a shame it hasn't cross play though. Would love to play the nicer looking Ps4 or PC version when playing on the TV and then use the Switch for portable only

Is the online free or do you need a nintendo sub?
It's free. I think just like on ps4 all F2P games don't need a sub

EDarkness

Been playing this for a while. Game runs fine, but I hate how the gyro is implemented into the game. They REALLY need a "recenter" button. All gyro games should have it. Other than that, I think it's better to run missions solo if you haven't played the game before. I couldn't really get the story because the group I was with kept running ahead.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Other than that, I think it's better to run missions solo if you haven't played the game before. I couldn't really get the story because the group I was with kept running ahead.
?

Neverwas

Only played the opening mission so far. It's gonna take me a minute to get used to the feel of the Switch, but other than that, it seems like good quality. Visuals are actually better than I expected.

ultrazilla

Freaking Panic Button does it again! It's a pretty amazing port. Played some of the first missions in docked and handheld mode
and the performance is there. It *doesn't* appear to ever go under 60fps in both docked/undocked modes.

For comparison, I also downloaded Warframe for my Xbox One X and I gotta tell you, the Switch port is damn, damn good.
Sure, in full screen mode you lose some resolution but the frame rate and game is there. The levels, enemies, dialog, weapons,
it's all in the Switch version as well with the added bonus of it now being portable.

The undocked/portable mode looks better because of the 720p display IMO(it looks crisper and clearer compared to "blowing it up" fullscreen tv) and runs at a blazing 60fps.

Panic Button even gives Switch owners graphics options to check on or off like brightness, contrast, field of view, enabling screen shake, adaptive exposure, glare, ambient occlusion, GPU particles, depth of field, motion blur, bloom, bloom intensity, color correction, constant weapon trail, weapon elemental fx.

Didn't play around with gyro/motion controls as those control methods aren't my cup of tea so I can't comment on that.

Can't wait to see Digital Foundry's tech break down of Panic Button's Warframe port!

Even if you're not a fan of shooters, it's still a fun game to mess around with and it's FREE.

I honestly think Warframe for the Nintendo Switch can be used as a killer app/reference title for just what the little machine can do!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. I been playing since the beta 5 years ago on pc(? feels like it's been longer than 5 years ago, definitely before launch of current consoles...maybe 6 years ago then?)

At any rate, the gameplay is fun, but repetitive. It's basically a glorified horde mode that is deep for almost no reason. I say almost because min/maxing plays a huge role but isn't required to be sufficiently powerful to do quests and for general progression through the story.
Its the power fantasy that keeps you coming back. Grinding to become a little bit more efficient, to be a bit stronger, to make a lil bit more platinum, to deck out your ship with a little bit more bling.

I'm glad Switch users are getting to experience this kind of game in a mobile environment. Its probably the best way to play game like this because you can hop in for a mission or two, put some gear in the foundry to craft and log out.

zenspider

Looks cheeks compared to PC, but is more fun to play on Switch. I tried multiple gyro-enabled Steam Controller layouts and nothing felt right. Panic Button nailed the feel.

Mr Hyde

EDIT: You couldn´t enter blank space. What a load of crap. Wasted half an hour picking a name just because of that. How bout explaining shit?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Been playing this a lot now for the last couple of days. I can´t believe this is actually free. I have played for about 20 hours and I never once, felt any pressure to pay any money. There is loads of content, good content, that just keeps on giving hour after hours. If nothing else, it actually makes me feel guilty for not paying for such an awesome game. It is so much fun to play, both with a team of players, or going solo. Hats off to Digital Extreme for an amazing experience free of charge.

Panic Button has also done a solid job with the porting. It runs really well on the Switch and it looks phenomenal. The graphics are incredible, especially in handheld mode looks god tier, and it feels great to play. The only place so far that the framerate has seen some serious dips is in Cetus. Everything else though runs like a charm. The community is live and kicking it, and I have had no issues teaming up with a bunch of people all around the world. I hope this game continues to grow on Switch, it´s a great addition to the game library and it demonstrates the consoles strengths in the best of ways.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It is so much fun to play, both with a team of players, or going solo. Hats off to Digital Extreme for an amazing experience free of charge.

Interesting impressions. I've had it on my PS4 hard drive before but never actually played it. Is it easy to drop in / drop out?

Mr Hyde

Is it easy to drop in / drop out?

Yes, it´s very easy. People come and go on missions all the time. You can do invites or get invited. You can play public, solo or with friends only. I have been playing all evening on Switch and there is loads of people to play with. PS4 should have an equally active community as well. The only downside is that it can get overwhelming at the beginning with all the content (it´s 5 years worth of updates) but it does ease you in somewhat gently with a tutorial and some easy missions.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The only downside is that it can get overwhelming at the beginning with all the content (it´s 5 years worth of updates) but it does ease you in somewhat gently with a tutorial and some easy missions.

Nice. The perceived complexity is why I never really gave it a go, but I'm going to try it on Switch.

jadedm17

Been playing this a lot now for the last couple of days. I can´t believe this is actually free. I have played for about 20 hours and I never once, felt any pressure to pay any money. There is loads of content, good content, that just keeps on giving hour after hours. If nothing else, it actually makes me feel guilty for not paying for such an awesome game. It is so much fun to play, both with a team of players, or going solo. Hats off to Digital Extreme for an amazing experience free of charge.

Panic Button has also done a solid job with the porting. It runs really well on the Switch and it looks phenomenal. The graphics are incredible, especially in handheld mode looks god tier, and it feels great to play. The only place so far that the framerate has seen some serious dips is in Cetus. Everything else though runs like a charm. The community is live and kicking it, and I have had no issues teaming up with a bunch of people all around the world. I hope this game continues to grow on Switch, it´s a great addition to the game library and it demonstrates the consoles strengths in the best of ways.

The love here is amazing, I'll definitely be throwing [more*] money at them. (*Spent $15 on the Ps4)

The exact bold reasons are why i love Fortnite : Fun, lots of content, heck better constant free updates that are better than some AAA games. The $50+ I've given Fortnite is a testament to making a good game that I want to give money to support, and Warframe looks to be the same way.

Nice. The perceived complexity is why I never really gave it a go, but I'm going to try it on Switch.

The posted video by BeatEmUps covers a little that there is a big learning curve, something that kept me off making this a daily game for me like Fortnite. That said I've heard great things of the community so if you're interested there are people who will help on Warframe's forums.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

So. All boss fights are "fun" like the one against Jackal ? Game was okay for me until I reached there. Weird stuff are happening, like, shoot one leg, he bows down and I hit him with the sword and I am not able to see if it is causing damage. Hit another leg and he bows again, and shoot with the pistol / rifle and I could see some damage. And them I thought, just need to be patient and he will kill in 20 minutes, but no, the weirdest thing happen. He just stay still and I hit one leg, nothing happens, two, three, four and nothing. So I go close to him and he start with that explosive stomp, like there is no tomorrow, and nothing happens. No "health" for the legs and the guys just refuses to bow.

And I must say that, Jackal's machine gun is formidable. The guy is able to kill me in one seconds, like all shield and health are gone, even if I am jumping.

Anyway, am I missing something here ?

Did someone faced this, like, I am able to hit two times,hit the legs two times, he "fell" and them he become immortal.

Top Bottom