• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

NekoFever

After spending way too much time reading the Lexicanum I went ahead and bought the Horus Rising ebook. I thought about it a while back but couldn't see it on Amazon, and it didn't occur to me to see if GW itself was selling them.

Now I'm this close to buying a random squad of Space Marines and a set of paints again. I thought I was past this!

Is there an archive of White Dwarf covers anywhere? I used to love them and it would be great to look up the ones I had in the early 90s.

Vhalyar

Do the enemies of the imperium reason like this as well? I could probably see some worlds holding value to all involved but there must have been a couple of cases where a big battle ended with a nuke going of from the losing side as there clearly isn't any rules of war in this world.

It doesn't work all that well depending on the enemy, to be honest.

Tyranids are known to survive an exterminatus by digging down (the small ones) or just plain bunkering down like a baws and surviving (Carnifex). They don't have any mass-destruction weapons since their goal is to consume everything.

Orks also survive almost anything because of the spores they spread. All it takes is a single spore and in time it will multiply and a new Ork army is born, since any spore is capable of growing into any ork. Orks use Roks and sometimes Space Hulks to blow the shit out of things.

Necrons teleport their casualties out and their Monoliths can withstand a lot of damage, especially when dug down. Their most powerful weapon is owned by a faction of snowflakes and can basically snuff out stars, though the owners give no fucks about petty Necron overlords.

Since a lot of, if not most, Imperial battles involve defending their own territory from encroaching aliens and said territory is usually a planet dedicated to a single task (agriculture, production, mining, etc.)... it's kind of silly to blow the shit out of it when other planets rely on each other to such a high degree. Except Kriegers, because they love it.

Now I'm this close to buying a random squad of Space Marines and a set of paints again. I thought I was past this!

Unless someone was just wanting a few models to display, it's getting really hard to recommend the 40k game to any newcomers. The prices now are just insane and GW keeps shifting things a bit each edition so armies require more and more models. Currently this seems to be working for them but at some point it's all going to fall apart. If that doesn't put you off, at least don't get the GW brand paints and brushes if you can help it.

NekoFever

Unless someone was just wanting a few models to display, it's getting really hard to recommend the 40k game to any newcomers. The prices now are just insane and GW keeps shifting things a bit each edition so armies require more and more models. Currently this seems to be working for them but at some point it's all going to fall apart. If that doesn't put you off, at least don't get the GW brand paints and brushes if you can help it.

I thought it was bad when I was a kid in the early 90s. I could see my dad dying inside when I started getting into it and he saw the prices I was asking him to pay.

f0rk

GW keeps shifting things a bit each edition so armies require more and more models.

This is why I don't really understand the people asking for an exact computer game port like MTGO, the game is shaped too much by business. In the last 5+ years since I've stopped playing they've introduced flyers and big robot dudes which are powerful just to sell the big expensive kits.

Darklord

Banned
I hope we get a Warhammer 40k: Total War game. It could be on one planet or several and the series would be incredible on that scale. Sega has the 40k license now right? And Relic, and Total War. Make it happen!

Or at least resurrect Dawn of War 3.

Keasar

Its been years since I did anything related to the miniature game of the Warhammer universe, but I still actively read the books. Specifically my two favorite series about Commissar Ibram Gaunt and Commissar Ciaphas Cain (True Hero of the Imperium of Man!).

Meteorain

Can you elaborate? I barely know anything about 40k and was just commenting on how similar the "Hell" in Event Horizon is to the Warp. Was there an official relationship at some point?

Nah, nothing official.

It was just a very uncannily similar representation of what travel in the Warp would look like in the 40k universe (without a Gellar field).

By changed it he meant that someone originally posted Event Horizon, but then someone else quoted him and changed it to a Red Dwarf pic.

Man, I really wish GW would do something like Warmachine Tactics with 40k: just take the tabletop game to the PC/PS4/XB1. Seriously, with how good that MTG game is doing, I imagine GW could basically just print money with all that DLC.
Slitherine is doing a turn based strategy game (hex based and modable) for the PC. It's supposed to come out early next year. It's called Warhammer 40k Armageddon. That'll likely be the closest thing we ever get to the table top game.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Slitherine is doing a turn based strategy game (hex based and modable) for the PC. It's supposed to come out early next year. It's called Warhammer 40k Armageddon. That'll likely be the closest thing we ever get to the table top game.

oyCpApz.jpg

Scirrocco

I hope we get a Warhammer 40k: Total War game. It could be on one planet or several and the series would be incredible on that scale. Sega has the 40k license now right? And Relic, and Total War. Make it happen!

Did DoW 3 ever die? Sega didnt just get the license, they got Relic too. Theres no doubt in my mind their making DoW 3, even if they might have to rebrand it to another name.

Mindwipe

Did DoW 3 ever die? Sega didnt just get the license, they got Relic too. Theres no doubt in my mind their making DoW 3, even if they might have to rebrand it to another name.

Sega DIDN'T get the licence. They just got Relic. The licence reverted to GW, and they appear to be approving and disapproving specific projects on a case by case basis rather than selling a "40k" licence to a publisher as they used to.

zoukka

How well did CoH2 do? That's a huge telling whether they even try at DoW3 (which would become my most anticipated game right now lol)

Tacitus_

We don't talk about Matt Ward in this thread.

I googled his name and this came up:
Matt Ward is GW's lead marketer in charge of the kid demographic, as such he is charged to change armies to make them have less depth and be more understandable and "cooler" to obnoxious fat kids. Necrons and Blood Angels alliance? Check! Grey knights + Daemonhosts? Check! Matt Ward is the embodiment of GW's greed and non-respect of veteran and mature players. You'd expect them to answer something like: "That's retarded" to "Dude, I'm gonna make Grey Knights carve their names into the heart of daemons they kill!", but no, instead they say things like: "Sure! And why don't you create one that puts the Emperor's work to shame too?". Fortunatly, they can't put him to work on every codex.

Ouch :lol

Inversive

I don't think they can do 40k, only fantasy which would be better anyway.

Fonds

This OT is like a cruel temptress to me. Recently a new Games Workshop opened up in my hometown as well.

Warhammer 40k is fighting it's way back into my system again soooo bad.
I spent so much money on painting those mini's....

.... but it was sooo gooooood.

This OT is like a cruel temptress to me. Recently a new Games Workshop opened up in my hometown as well.

Warhammer 40k is fighting it's way back into my system again soooo bad.
I spent so much money on painting those mini's....

.... but it was sooo gooooood.
6th edition is the best the game has been IMO, unless you like assault armies.

Meteorain

I love Assault Marines. They are the heart of the BA.

What has the bastard done to them?

Although I did hear you can deep strike Land Raiders....LOL

I love Assault Marines. They are the heart of the BA.

What has the bastard done to them?

Although I did hear you can deep strike Land Raiders....LOL
Right now, the volume of fire a lot of armies can put out, combined with things like overwatch, means that even a Terminator's 2+ save is easily bypassed with a pile of dice. You can't assault out of a transport even if it hasn't moved that turn (unless it has the Assault Vehicle rule), and charge distance is now 2D6".

We still have yet to see Orks, Tyranids, and Blood Angels, which are the most assault-y armies out there, and there's no reason why they can't make some changes in those books that will make assault armies work better.

The meta, and what works in each book, has continually changed in relation to whatever new shiny thing has come out of the latest code . Those 3 books I mentioned could make other existing assault lists more viable if they act as deterrents against what opponents are taking that chews them up so badly right now. The Chaos Heldrake became less of problem for Dark Angels, for example, because the new Tau book dealt with them so easily that they were no longer spammed in every CSM list. Whatever happens, Khorne Berserkers will continue to suck as always.

Meteorain

What sucked last I saw was that every fucking Tom Dick and Harry had Furious Charge. That was kinda a "thing" I liked that was unique for the BA. Nope now everyone had it. Plus rending became insane. Assault Cannons were raping everything.

Alucrid

Banned
So I started reading some Ciaphas Cain now...

Does the Imperium actually negotiate with aliens? I thought their protocol was to just wipe them out...but apparently not?

NeOak

OT and no mention of the Adeptus Custodes? Heresy!

Sega DIDN'T get the licence. They just got Relic. The licence reverted to GW, and they appear to be approving and disapproving specific projects on a case by case basis rather than selling a "40k" licence to a publisher as they used to.

Noooooooooooo

I want DoW3 D:

Does the Imperium actually negotiate with aliens? I thought their protocol was to just wipe them out...but apparently not?

Trouble is some of those pesky xenos are quite good at fighting back. The Imperium once tried to take down an eldar craftworld and ended up losing an entire sector fleet.

SmartBase

My first and only experience with 40k has been the original Dawn of War series, more specifically;

SiNsrFN.jpg

I love that game, didn't care much for Soulstorm.

Same here, though I played all of them a fair bit.

I always played Imperial Guard and rush-constructed a Baneblade and artillery while the other side were still building their pathetic armies.

Karakand

Sad we probably wont get a follow up. I want to know what happens to Titus, dammit! Dat ending :(

He
falls to Khorne
. Sorry. :(

I don't even know why I'm defending this point so much, I don't even like the GK's :(

Someone asked me on Mumble last night what I was doing and I was too ashamed to reply, "arguing lore with someone on NeoGAF in the Warhammer 40K official thread," so I closed the reply I was working on to you and decided that I hate Grey Knights too. Group hug?

Hm, maybe it's just space marines that are more hesitant to make dealings with them then.

The Imperium's #1 concern is self-perpetuation, xenos are ultimately a threat to that, but in the short-term it can be expedient (and further the goal of self-perpetuation) to deal with them.

e: In the Horus Heresy era I wouldn't really say this is the case, however (as it pertains to cavorting with xenos).

Tacitus_

Oh wow. I just looked at the Games Workshop site and a pack of CSM is 30 euros? I could've sworn I bought a pack a couple years ago for 20....

Enosh

it really depends on who is in charge more or less, plus mission objectives, chances of actually winning a confrontation etc etc

Top Bottom