• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Not sure if this is new but GW just posted this on Warhammer Community

Warhammer Community Article

I'm really happy they're selling Custodes and Sisters of Silnce in plastic by themselves now. Instead of buying The Burning of Prospero box. (or buying from Forge World)

Kind of Bummed that the Contemptor Dreadnought is just the regular one and not the cool forgeworld one and that either of the vehicles aren't grav tanks but I digress.

(Also, from a lore perspective shouldn't their armor be black if it's meant for 40k, since they changed the color in mourning of the Emperor and their failure to protect him?)
I would think it's because this is Games Workshop making these models and not Forge World.

so my friend wants to get into warhammer 40k,

I was into 40k 10 years ago. I do have a chaos army. Do they still 'work' in the current game(Link below)? Can I fetch good ebay prices on them?
(Album here: http://imgur.com/a/Xf34k)

I ask because I'll prolly get back into it if my friend does, but I want to start fresh.

I was into 40k 10 years ago. I do have a chaos army. Do they still 'work' in the current game(Link below)? Can I fetch good ebay prices on them?

I ask because I'll prolly get back into it if my friend does, but I want to start fresh.

If you want to start there are bundles on the GW site that might be a good start.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102352+1792822988+3354146367&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat

Thanks! Me and my friend actually ended up looking through there. We were playing vermintide, then I mentioned I played in high school, so we got into this whole discussion of how it plays(Well, played based on my knowledge) and he's interested in doing Warhammer because it'd be a hobby lol.

Thanks! Me and my friend actually ended up looking through there. We were playing vermintide, then I mentioned I played in high school, so we got into this whole discussion of how it plays(Well, played based on my knowledge) and he's interested in doing Warhammer because it'd be a hobby lol.

If you want to get crazy, you can get some Horus Heresy stuff.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Betrayal-at-Calth-Book

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Burning-of-Prospero-ENG
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102352+1832288922&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat

manfestival

Try joining up with the greater good
Kappa.png

Tacitus_

The models on the round bases are all still in the Chaos Space Marines Codex, minus the Dreadnought which got a new name and a new model but that shouldn't stop you from using it as the rulers are mostly the same.

Thats about right for a bolter.

So my friend found a hobby shop called Games Empire in Pasadena, they do trade ins. Ill prolly trade in my chaos army and start fresh, yeh? Also I heard the 7th edition ruleset were complicated and bloated. Also rumors of an 8th edition this year?

Hmm...

My first thought was the bolter is comically long, but looking over it, it does seem pretty legit.

Nope, it's fake. Ignoring that it's a terrible quality picture taken on someones table next to their other barely-painted out of production miniatures, there's this picture i've seen posted which shows it's fake:
e78Z7hx.png

Obviously though that model has been converted slightly as well.

Also the feet seem to be resin, they look a different colour to the legs.

Tzeentch

Uhm, no. The parts that are called out are actually NOT the same. And they don't even bother to try and explain the legs (which are not Stormcast).

Could be a kitbash, but not from the pieces that 4chan pic says.

Thats about right for a bolter.

So my friend found a hobby shop called Games Empire in Pasadena, they do trade ins. Ill prolly trade in my chaos army and start fresh, yeh? Also I heard the 7th edition ruleset were complicated and bloated. Also rumors of an 8th edition this year?

From what I heard it's coming out this year, maybe closer to Q3.

So I went to the shop

Walked out with the Dark Vengeance set(I got the Chaos warriors , friend go the dark angels which he will convert into blood angels, we went 50/50.)

I also did not sell my Chaos Army, and figure I will continue it. So I brought the Chaos Codex.

I'm excited.

Any paint recommendations? I heard Krylon paint is pretty good for the primer/foundation instead of using the overpriced Games Workshop spray paints...

So I went to the shop

Walked out with the Dark Vengeance set(I got the Chaos warriors , friend go the dark angels which he will convert into blood angels, we went 50/50.)

I also did not sell my Chaos Army, and figure I will continue it. So I brought the Chaos Codex.

I'm excited.

Any paint recommendations? I heard Krylon paint is pretty good for the primer/foundation instead of using the overpriced Games Workshop spray paints...

Looks like you may need to pay a visit to the mini painting thread!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=389064&page=1

Nazo

Got a new laptop the other day and decided to buy Dawn of War 1 and oh man is it shit tons of fun. I'm really looking forward to playing more.

Orks are an absolute blast to play. :)

Finished up my first Dire Avenger.

This is the first mini I have painted in over 5 years so I am pretty happy with the results!
da1yfx41.png

da291xeo.png

Now just to paint the other 4 and maintain the quality.. if not improve it. It should be doable this time around since I am only grabbing myself a reasonable amount of models at a time and not buying in bulk and trying to masse paint them.

Also, does anyone know where this key art for Guilliman comes from? It is wonderful.
rop-guilliman-horzogx91.jpg

OMG GW's new game sounds awesome, like Necromunda crossed with Kill Team:
Shadow War: Armageddon is the spiritual successor to Necromunda and due out VERY SOON. Comes in a MASSIVE (stressed a lot) box full of multilevel terrain, Space Marines, Orks and of course rules. The rules cover 16-17 different factions, so most/all 40k armies are covered.
New Game Announced at Gama Trade Show

Breaking news from the Gama Trade Show, a brand new boxed game has just been announced – Shadow War: Armageddon.

Some of the Warhammer Community team are currently at the huge trade show in Las Vegas, and are showcasing some of the exciting new releases on the way over the next few months. The first of these is Shadow War: Armageddon.

GAMA-SWA-BoxArt-Content.jpg

Right now we don’t have a huge amount of detail on this set (though we will, very soon), but what we do know is that it is a squad-level game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The specific setting is the hive cities of War Zone: Armageddon, and the two forces pitted against each other are Space Marines Scouts from the Blood Angels Chapter and ferocious Ork Boyz.

We think the idea of close-range combat amongst the sprawling ruins of Imperial industry sounds pretty ace.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

I will be all over this!

I'm guessing this is GW's attempt to draw people in who've been put off by the cost of buy-in for the main game these days. That's probably why there using 40k models instead of going the gang route again. It could be the perfect gateway to new players.

I can't see it having the customisation and progression that Necromunda had which was a big part of the fun for me. Still, if it has something similar to Necromuda's rules and it's mostly grunts vs grunts with the overpowered characters and vehicles kept out, then I think it could be pretty interesting.

Edit:

Impressive as that terrain piece looks, it would be a pretty bare Necromuda table if that's all that's on it. Hopefully there's more that we haven't seen yet. Same with the source/rule books as the one in the background doesn't look substantial enough for my liking. Not if it's supposed to cover all the rules and factions.

On paints-
Any acrylic painter is fine with models right? did a paint run today and my god those little bottles are expensive

(Shoot, forgot this wasn't the paint thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwIsQQEa4o

GAMA-SWA-Scenery-Content.jpg

Those veteran gamers out there will be keen to learn that much of the ruleset is based off of the classic Necromunda game, including some in-between game advancements and earning experience that can see your small recon-force grow to become an elite unit of honed killers.

The terrain is perhaps the star of the set though. Never before has the tangled structure of an industrial hive been better represented. Your warriors can hide behind chimneys, sprint along walkways, gain higher ground, duck under arcane mechanisms, and generally make full use of this great new set.

The kits are, of course, also suitable for Warhammer 40,000 games, and it is fully modular, meaning you can combine kits in all sorts of unusual ways to create some truly huge and awesome terrain pieces.

You’ll be able to expand your game with extra models for the two squads in the box, or even add whole new races. The Kill Teams are all designed to be built around squads in an army you might already have, or can pick-up in a single boxed set. Here are a few of the units that you will be able to use, in case you wanted to get started building and painting now:
Skitarii Rangers
Chaos Space Marines
Cultists
Dark Eldar Wyches
Dire Avengers
Eldar Guardians
Harlequin Troupe
Grey Knights Strike Squad
Necron Immortals
Necron Warriors
Tau Empire Pathfinder Team
Tyranid Warrior Brood
Neophyte Hybrids
Scouts
Scouts with sniper rifles
Cadian Infantry Squad
Ork Boyz
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/war-returns-to-armageddon/

Yeah, clear to see that this new game definitely has it's roots in Necromunda.

Thinking of modelling a Xenos Inquisitor and retinue or a Rogue Trader and crew for it...a new steampunk pirate Duardin from Age of Sigmar would make a perfect Squat crew member...

Finished up my first Dire Avenger.

This is the first mini I have painted in over 5 years so I am pretty happy with the results!
da1yfx41.png

da291xeo.png

Now just to paint the other 4 and maintain the quality.. if not improve it. It should be doable this time around since I am only grabbing myself a reasonable amount of models at a time and not buying in bulk and trying to masse paint them.

Also, does anyone know where this key art for Guilliman comes from? It is wonderful.
rop-guilliman-horzogx91.jpg

latest

You have to click on the link to get a bigger image.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images

IMO Shadow War: Armageddon is a rush job, ala the new Warhammer Quest expansion.

They didn't have the inclination or resources to do a proper Necromunda reboot with all new miniatures for the various gangs, so instead they altered the rules a bit, included existing miniatures, put in the new terrain, and called it a day. This new game will benefit from GW's end goal of synergizing their base and having entry level units to jump start larger armies. It's not bad, but it's not as good as it could've, no, should've been. Necromunda was worthy of a Space Hulk/Deathwatch Overkill/Bloodbowl styled boxed set.

Also, I hate the included terrain and it bothers me to no end how much that will be jacking up the price of the box. There isn't nearly enough included for a proper game either. It makes the box game seem incomplete.

EYEL1NER

I just finished Nightbringer. I had started it a while back and then stopped after the first two chapters in favor of starting the GG series. I returned to it though and wrapped it up a few moments ago. It had some pretty good imagery and descriptions in it, like when they dock their Thunderhawk to the D.Eldar ship. It was nice to read some fluff that actually had a lot of importance to what is going on in current 40K; the Nightbringer and Necrons awakening is kind of a big deal. Overall I liked it, which I didn't expect (because Ultramarines, ugh). I'm not sure if I'll start the second story or bounce over to Book 2 in the GG series but I really wanna get to the third story "Dead Sky Black Sun" because of its great title.

IMO Shadow War: Armageddon is a rush job, ala the new Warhammer Quest expansion.

They didn't have the inclination or resources to do a proper Necromunda reboot with all new miniatures for the various gangs, so instead they altered the rules a bit, included existing miniatures, put in the new terrain, and called it a day. This new game will benefit from GW's end goal of synergizing their base and having entry level units to jump start larger armies. It's not bad, but it's not as good as it could've, no, should've been. Necromunda was worthy of a Space Hulk/Deathwatch Overkill/Bloodbowl styled boxed set.

Also, I hate the included terrain and it bothers me to no end how much that will be jacking up the price of the box. There isn't nearly enough included for a proper game either. It makes the box game seem incomplete.

I don't think a true Necromunda is off the table yet. I've heard they even have some sculpts done for a new Necromunda. I would agree this seems a little rushed but it'll be nice to have a proper skirmish level 40k game again, and I don't see how they can go far wrong if they just crib the Necomunda rules.

I feel like I'm going to have to pull out the old gang and give it a fresh coat of paint. Even if we don't get a new Necromunda, they'd probably work well as guardsmen in this new game.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Have you actually played it?

I think Forge World could still bring out another edition of Necromunda to sit alongside this. I've wanted to see GW expand on the Kill Team stuff for an age though (it makes great business sense for them to do it too!) so this is really right up my street.

manfestival

I cant ever seem to decide on a play style when playing as tau. I know they are gunline but I am always itching to run around or do some sorta feints. Honestly I never imagined that I would be so into 40k and the tactics surrounding the game either. Even more than I do on my video games aside from total warhammer. That gets me way to sucked in

Nazo

I just realized how kinda fucked up it is that Sisters of Silence get plastic models before Sisters of Battle do.

Like, are Sisters of Silence really that popular that they warranted plastic models?

Don't get me wrong I like them, but Its just odd that a group with such a minor presence and with basically no rules up till now in both 40k and 30k would get plastic models. Where as the Sisters of Battle have been around far longer than the former but is still stuck with metal models.

Also GW's crap about them not being very popular is kinda wrong in a way since nobody want's to buy Sisters because they're so damn expensive. I have a friend that would totally get into 40k if they had plastic sisters but nope.

It's all just very odd to me...

Nazo

I thought Sisters of Battle have had models for nary 10 years now?

They do, but they're made of metal. So they're a lot more expensive than other models (not to mention hard to kitbash and other modeling woes). A squad of Sisters is nearly double the price of a squad of Space Marines. It's a real turn off for people.

It's why I find the Sisters of Silence getting plastic models before them odd.

They do, but they're made of metal. So they're a lot more expensive than other models (not to mention hard to kitbash and other modeling woes). A squad of Sisters is nearly double the price of a squad of Space Marines. It's a real turn off for people.

Weird! I remember 10 years most squads got plastic models. Weird if they haven't switched sister production to plastic either.

I would assume that they made them plastic because that is what the rest of the models in the Prospero set are made out of. GW hasn't made a model out of metal in years.

Nazo

Weird! I remember 10 years most squads got plastic models. Weird if they haven't switched sister production to plastic either.

It's very weird, the only Sisters of Battle models that are plastic are the new Celestine with her jump pack body gaurds. There are also just really random models that they sell that are still metal like the Eldar Striking Scorpions and Imperial Guard Ratling Snipers.

I would assume that they made them plastic because that is what the rest of the models in the Prospero set are made out of. GW hasn't made a model out of metal in years.

Fair enough I guess, I just think It's lame that the Sororitas are being snubbed over the "new" all female order.

Reading the blood angel codex

And alot of units have things like "may take items from melee/ranged/relics" but none of those gears have points associated with them within the blood angels codex. At all. So many models say "may take a special weapon" but when you go to special issue wargear or ranged weapon there are no point values listed.

Like...whats the deal with that?

And alot of units have things like "may take items from melee/ranged/relics" but none of those gears have points associated with them within the blood angels codex. At all. So many models say "may take a special weapon" but when you go to special issue wargear or ranged weapon there are no point values listed.

I think you just take the wargear for free then. That is what I was lead to understand.

It's very weird, the only Sisters of Battle models that are plastic are the new Celestine with her jump pack body gaurds. There are also just really random models that they sell that are still metal like the Eldar Striking Scorpions and Imperial Guard Ratling Snipers.

Fair enough I guess, I just think It's lame that the Sororitas are being snubbed over the "new" all female order.

Scorpions and ratlings are resin. Literally the only metal models they sell anymore are when they do those weekends of old made-to-order stuff, and they seem to be done with that for now.

I could understand the SoS complaint if they'd made an entire army, but this is just a single kit. They couldn't even be bothered to come up with bits to stick on their rhinos to individualise them. The fact they still haven't updated the SoB yet is ridiculous, but they do still have a complete army. There's literally not enough variety to amongst the SoS to have them replace the SoB.

Nazo

Scorpions and ratlings are resin. Literally the only metal models they sell anymore are when they do those weekends of old made-to-order stuff, and they seem to be done with that for now.

I could understand the SoS complaint if they'd made an entire army, but this is just a single kit. They couldn't even be bothered to come up with bits to stick on their rhinos to individualise them. The fact they still haven't updated the SoB yet is ridiculous, but they do still have a complete army. There's literally not enough variety to amongst the SoS to have them replace the SoB.

I could've sworn Scorpions and Ratlings where metal, my memory fails me.

That is definitely all true about SoS. I just have this worry that SoS are going to be far more fleshed out in the future and SoB will be left in the dust.

Hopefully with the release of Celestine and that new Cannoness I forgot about till just now are indications that they'll move their line to plastic sooner or later.

Whoops, I'm the one that's wrong! Both ratlings and the entire SoB range never underwent the change to resin. I thought they'd shifted everything over by now. I don't think there's a bigger sign that GW has forgotten about an army than it not even bothering to switch any of it to finecast. As you say, let's hope Celestine and the anniversay model are signs that things are going to start happening for the Sisters soon.

manfestival

Blood ravens are a second founding blood angels chapter confirmed

Top Bottom