• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

HariKari

Side question:

Are the Orks going to end up winning the war against Tyranids for everyone? :p I have never really followed their books/stories.

Likely to produce more dangerous Orks with all that fighting and more numerous Tyranids with all that biomass to nom on.

Nazo

So, does anyone have any experience with Forge World's/GW's customer service? I got my replacement Gabriel Angelos in the mail and it came broken. I emailed them the other day but still no word from them except of the auto reply saying they got the email. Should I just call them the old fashioned way or wait for a proper reply?

So, does anyone have any experience with Forge World's/GW's customer service? I got my replacement Gabriel Angelos in the mail and it came broken. I emailed them the other day but still no word from them except of the auto reply saying they got the email. Should I just call them the old fashioned way or wait for a proper reply?

Call them.

Apologies for the Double Post but Warhammer TV just posted a really awesome trailer for Necromunda!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=xwD6Z7GzGxI

Also a video detailing the Citadel painting app! (which looks incredibly useful): https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=dJCpm2WvTWE

That video is making me do a major head scratch. The tiled portion looks like Space hulk but there is also shots of the gangs fighting over terrain? My interest is piqued.

That video is making me do a major head scratch. The tiled portion looks like Space hulk but there is also shots of the gangs fighting over terrain? My interest is piqued.

If I had to guess there's a "board game" version a la Deathwatch Overkill or Execution Force Assassinorum, and then the full rules for Necromunda as it was.

I'm super fucking stoked either way, because those Escher models look goddam amazing. That video also makes me feel better about the model scale, they won't look super out of place next to my ... 70 odd old metal Escher models.

More Necromunda infos:
The new core set for this game is absolutely packed with content to get you started: a full board representing the sewers and confines of the underhive, a rulebook, character cards, templates, dice and of course, your gangs.

There are two full gangs in the box – one set of nimble warrior-women from House Escher and one set of gene-crafted brutes from House Goliath. Each of these miniatures is detailed, characterful, and true to the classic spirit of Necromunda – hairstyles and all! We’re very pleased to say that both these gangs will be full, multi-part kits, with an enormous level of customisation.

One of the best things about Necromunda is building a gang and equipping your gangers with wargear, and each kit is absolutely packed with options. There are weapons for any situation, from classics like the stub gun to more esoteric choices like the repurposed industrial equipment of House Goliath or the chem-weapons of the Eschers.

As well as these, you’ll be able to arm your gangers with grenades, gas masks, additional armour and even modular hairstyles. Whichever gang you build, each member will be a character in their own right – perhaps a lumbering Goliath bruiser equipped with a rudimentary stub-cannon, or a fast moving Escher assassin wielding twin duelling laspistols.

The set’s gaming tiles and simple bulkhead scenery allow you to play games very quickly and easily, and make the game very portable.

As well as the underhive style of play covered by the boxed set, there will also be ways to play Necromunda with the multi-level skirmishes that defined the classic version of the game. These work great on tables using the Sector Mechanicus terrain sets released earlier this year (great news for anyone who built a Shadow War Armageddon board).

Both ways to play are tense, tactical games that recreate the no-holds-barred brutality of underhive war – you’re going to have a blast.

We’ll be taking a closer look at Necromunda nearer to its release, including what you can expect from the rules, how you’ll be able to build your gang and much more – in the meantime, let us know what you’re most excited about on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

The battle for the underhive starts this November.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/a-closer-look-at-necromundagw-homepage-post-2/

Chapter Approved 2017:
- An expansion for Apocalypse games of Warhammer 40,000
- Guidelines on running a planetary invasion campaign
- Updated matched play points for dozens of units and weapons across every army
- Loads of new Missions for open, narrative and matched play.

We are also bringing a whole new feature to Open Play. Designing and building your own vehicles (!!! :D) is a feature that hasn't appeared in Warhammer 40,000 since 5th Edition. We are going to trial some new rules to allow you to design your very own Land Raider variants and field these behemoths on the battlefields of the 41st Millennium.

Finally Chapter Approved will also give Factions that have not yet received their codex some expanded rules while they wait, allowing these factions to make use of some of the cool new mechanics available in Warhammer 40,000.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/

More codexes confirmed for this year:
We also heard what the next three codexes will be following the release of Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus in September. Before the end of November, xenos fans will be pleased to see some of the galaxy's alien races get their codexes for the new edition with Codex: Craftworlds and Codex: Tyranids, while Codex: Astra Militarum lets fans of the Imperium's vast human armies create thematic armies from their favourite Regiment

Pics are working again:
gamenecromunda.jpg

3d-terrain.png

goliath-gang.png

escher-gang.png

I'm honestly a little surprised it's not codex: Aeldari. I mean, okay, put Dark Eldar into a different book if you must, but what about Ynnari lists?

Bradach

Templates are back for Necromunda. Interesting.

I still have a bunch of old goliaths, Escher and orlocks in a shoebox. Must dig them out before November.

Mindwipe

Oh GW. Literally nobody who remembers the 5th Ed design your own vehicle rules wanted them back. Nobody.

They existed only for idiots to glue 75 stormbolters to a Rhino.

On Necromunda, I wasn't a huge fan of the new plastic terrain so in a way I'm glad the box will be a bit more board game like and cheaper, as long as the "3D terrain" rules are a proper ruleset. The models look pretty good, but it's a shame there's no juves. Hopefully they'll be available separately.

Keasar

Finished Helsreach (Armageddon big book with Blood and Fire as well) this week.

I liked it a lot. I like that Space Marines in this book, despite putting themselves above humans as being more developed, still had many of those "flaws" humans have. They are still deep down the humans they were before being slapped full with geneseed and sent out screaming with bolters in hand.

Also, Celestial Lions were awesome,
glad that they survived by a small margin so that people can make armies based on them

Now on to finishing the last Ciaphas Cain book (saddens me that Sandy Mitchell has stopped writing these) and then onward to finishing all available books of Gaunt's Ghost.

Oh GW. Literally nobody who remembers the 5th Ed design your own vehicle rules wanted them back. Nobody.

They existed only for idiots to glue 75 stormbolters to a Rhino.
The concept of custom vehicles isn't a bad one though, it'll come down to the implementation which will hopefully be better than allowing 75 stormbolters on a Rhino lol. I'm sure it won't be a copy paste from 5th edition, and it's for Open Play too where things are a bit more loose anyway.

I don't see how something like that doesn't fit with Open Play, as Open Play is easily open to abuse already if people want to play it that way. Are you thinking of Matched Play?

Custom vehicles could be fun, I'd rather see the rules before deciding they're bad, and they could allow for more creative freedom when creating custom Chapters etc too which might be fun for the fluffy players. Either way, they're not mandatory rules in all 3 main ways to play 40K so I don't see any reason to worry.

Leunam

Where the hell are the shotguns?

I'm getting the feeling there won't be any conventional heavy or special weapons. Just whatever weirdness each house brings to the party.

That's kind of what I'm fearing now. I know multipart kits are expensive but a massive draw for Necromunda was the customization and growth for your gang. Maybe this means that each gang will have more variation besides weapon lists and ability tables but I'm not so sure that's where I'd like to see this go.

Nazo

Got my Gabriel Angelos model sorted out. Took like 2 minuets on the phone with Forge World to get a replacement.

Mindwipe

I don't see how something like that doesn't fit with Open Play, as Open Play is easily open to abuse already if people want to play it that way. Are you thinking of Matched Play?

No, I just mean if you want to create a fluffy interesting vehicle for some open play format then you probably don't need a GW blessed starting point in the first place since it's a mutually agreed house rule format anyway.

In other news, I'm definitely a bit surprised we're getting Codex Nids before Codex GSC, given the 7th ed version probably got developed with 8th ed in mind anyway.

I'm also grumpy because the errata keep meaning the points values for GSC are going up and down all over the place and it's making it really hard to build an army tbh.

barik

That's kind of what I'm fearing now. I know multipart kits are expensive but a massive draw for Necromunda was the customization and growth for your gang. Maybe this means that each gang will have more variation besides weapon lists and ability tables but I'm not so sure that's where I'd like to see this go.

I was worried about the same thing but they did post this:

We're very pleased to say that both these gangs will be full, multi-part kits, with an enormous level of customisation.

One of the best things about Necromunda is building a gang and equipping your gangers with wargear, and each kit is absolutely packed with options. There are weapons for any situation, from classics like the stub gun to more esoteric choices like the repurposed industrial equipment of House Goliath or the chem-weapons of the Eschers.

As well as these, you'll be able to arm your gangers with grenades, gas masks, additional armour and even modular hairstyles.

So weapon-wise I'm staying positive, even though a lot of them do look like single-part models from a distance. Maybe the hands are separate?

Leunam

I was worried about the same thing but they did post this:

So weapon-wise I'm staying positive, even though a lot of them do look like single-part models from a distance. Maybe the hands are separate?

That's very good news. And yeah I'd guess that the points for customization will be at the hands/wrists. And also a good but of news there that explores unique weapons. I'm definitely feeling more at ease now.

I had no idea that there had sprung up a sort of unofficial market now for WH40K miniatures, didn't such endavours usually get shut down within 5 minutes by GW before?

I think this company (or a guy in his garage, don't know) and some others, like the one that makes basically Sister's of Battle (Krisnak miniatures or something) are operating in Russia and generally aren't too bothered with what GW or they lawyers have to say.

I had no idea that there had sprung up a sort of unofficial market now for WH40K miniatures, didn't such endavours usually get shut down within 5 minutes by GW before?

I love in particular their "Heroic Commissar and Officer Aide" (wink wink nudge nudge).

And they have a Gabriel Angelos or "Chapter Master" figure that looks really good.

Especially compared to the official Forge World one.
The Forge World model main problem is with the face, but the armor in the knock off is really bad.

I haven't dabbled with miniatures for over 14 years so I can't really tell from experience anymore but it looks alright? What's wrong with it (the knock-off one that is)?

Maybe I need to see it painted but it looks plain and almost bigger than the other model by looking at it. Maybe I shouldn't say it's a downgrade or bad.

Well, his armor is pretty oversized.

But I'm talking about the model itself being bigger not the armor itself. One of the things that I noticed was the head area. The knock off one seems to be more opened up than the Force World one.
EDIT: It seems like the knock off one is more inspired by the bigger model that you posted than the forge world one.

Mindwipe

Am i getting something wrong with the article title, or does that mean Forge World are going to be making Necromunda models?

Well, for Blood Bowl the main kits are plastic and the star players are FW resin, so my reading is that the Necromunda gangs are plastic and additions like the upgrade kits will be FW resin too.

Still, additional goblins for BB were plastic, and I really, really hope we're getting plastic Juves.

I just heard Fritz40K's Youtube channel was shut down for policy violation, though I have no idea what that policy could be (and he doesn't know yet either!).

If you're not familiar with his channel he basically just chats wargaming topics (mainly 40K) by himself, with just a picture of his models as the video. He doesn't use music, he's not a controversial Youtuber, and his content is family friendly. He's been around for years, he posts videos regularly, and he'd built up a lot of subscribers compared to most other wargaming channels.

Its just bizarre! Hopefully he can get it straightened out, though wargaming channels are comparatively niche on Youtube so who knows if Google will pay him any attention at all...

Google shut down my YouTube account for violation of TOS. Exactly what and why they won't say and I can't talk to anybody real about. All the stuff with my google account is gone- g+ my blogger stuff and my youtube channel. I'm trying to find out more but from googles help section and talking to a few other youtubers I know who had this happen I'm not feeling so good.

Hey folks, just discovered 40K due to the promotion that happened a while back where you could get I think 12 books of the Horus Heresy for dirt cheap - instantly fell in love with the setting and characters (well some of them anyways) - and was wondering, as someone who lives in the U.S. (Midwest to be specific) - is the tabletop game still worth getting into at this stage? I know 8th Edition was recently released, and it seems like a great hobby (if nothing else the minatures look fun to pain and collect).

I was looking at starting with a Tau army of all things (I know, filthy heretic, greater good communist space lover) - but wasn't sure how to begin. Any advice for a potential newbie?

Honestly this is pretty much the ideal time to get started with the tabletop game. The new edition is easier to get into with less rules bloat, interest among the wargaming community is super high so there are plenty of games and tournaments going on, the release schedule is packed with new codexes coming faster than ever, lots of new stuff is happening in the setting, there's decently priced starter sets providing good discounts, and GW as a company has been changing for the better in terms of communicating with their fans and supporting their games with FAQs etc.

Hey folks, just discovered 40K due to the promotion that happened a while back where you could get I think 12 books of the Horus Heresy for dirt cheap - instantly fell in love with the setting and characters (well some of them anyways) - and was wondering, as someone who lives in the U.S. (Midwest to be specific) - is the tabletop game still worth getting into at this stage? I know 8th Edition was recently released, and it seems like a great hobby (if nothing else the minatures look fun to pain and collect).

I was looking at starting with a Tau army of all things (I know, filthy heretic, greater good communist space lover) - but wasn't sure how to begin. Any advice for a potential newbie?

Honestly this is pretty much the ideal time to get started with the tabletop game. The new edition is easier to get into with less rules bloat, interest among the wargaming community is super high so there are plenty of games and tournaments going on, the release schedule is packed with new codexes coming faster than ever, lots of new stuff is happening in the setting, there's decently priced starter sets providing good discounts, and GW as a company has been changing for the better in terms of communicating with their fans and supporting their games with FAQs etc.

What Garth said.

Also is there a FLGS (friendly local gaming store) or a Games Workshop store near where you live? Go hang around! I'm sure they have a game night and you could probably see how it's played and check some of the armies people have for some inspiration.

There are Start Collecting sets for various armies and it's not a bad place to start.

I know some might say Tau are not great rule-vise at this point (they got nerfed a bit in the 8th edition), but my advice is to not care too much about the rules when picking your army - instead pick what you think is cool and resonates to you (even if it's filthy space fish commie xenos lol). The rules always change.

Echoing what Staffy said, choose your army based on what draws you in. Lore, models, whatever. You can branch out and build from there. You will be spending so much money/time with the miniatures themselves that it makes sense for that to be your highest priority IMO.

A big plus will simply be that you're not yet another space marine army. I can only imagine that most local clubs are over saturated with marines and anything elde would be a welcome sight on the table.

Also, like Staffy mentioned, entire armies get buffed and nerfed as time goes on. While Tau got a nerf with the mini xenos army book at launch, I would imagine they'll get a nice boost when their official codex hits. Many agree they needed a slight nerf anyway. As a launch time player of a druid in WoW, I've seen my class and those around me rise and fall in the buff/nerf cycle countless times. I never stopped playing my druid though. Love the class too much!

Thanks for all the replies. There is a comic store near me that sells them, so I might pick up a starter set this weekend after watching a game. I am planning to go Farsight Enclave (functionality makes no difference but I like the aesthetic) so at least I'm not full-blown space communist.

HariKari

Thanks for all the replies. There is a comic store near me that sells them, so I might pick up a starter set this weekend after watching a game. I am planning to go Farsight Enclave (functionality makes no difference but I like the aesthetic) so at least I'm not full-blown space communist.

Most stores will usually have house armies that they can demo the game for you with (guide you through a full game). Just ask. Tau is a gunline army that's pretty straightforward to play.

Top Bottom