• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Maledict

I

I've only read that from online discussions but I don't think I've stumbled across it in any of the codices. I'll have to take another look through the books. I think it could have come from that one old book that was meant to be an Imperial scientists observations on Xenos that he gleaned from his own research and autopsies. Never did pick up a copy.

The original lore had the Ethereals appearing in one single night, following a series of strange lights being seen in the air at night. They took control of Tau society instantly as Tau instinctively followed them. There was also an autopsy where they discovered the difference between ethereals and other Tau was the presence of a gland in the brain that came from another animal from a planet a long way away, which couldn't possibly have naturally evolved.

There was other stuff as well - it was never directly spelt out, but it seemed to be clear that the Tau were artificially supported in some way, and the Eldar fit better than anyone else.

(Remember,. their entire society in the original lore appeared basically overnight. They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible).

Tau aren't warp/chaos immune, they just have dim souls.

There was a novel that dealt with a water caste tau being possessed by a Deamon, and wrecking havoc.

(possession can happen to anything, even a rock)

- ethereals ate heavily hinted at mind controlling tau around them through the gland in there head.

- the gland is not of natural origin, and is suspected to be a creation by the eldar, but that hint is vague. It to me was worded in such a manner that it could be a old one, man of iron, or some yet unknown force in the galaxy, even once of the mysterious ctan. As the tau supposedly resemble the necrons original form before there bodies were wracked with disease by there star.

- farsight seeks to be rebelling due to his realization of the ethereal mind control, plus he uses either a Deamon weapon or a necton weapon

Ohnonono

Black Library has started to show up on Audible. Some REALLY good stuff up. No Horus Heresy stuff yet, but lots of 40k stuff. Even the newest novel Watchers of the Throne that is apparently pretty AMAZING. As someone who spends a fortune on these audiobooks this is going to save me a ton of money.

Also if you want suggestions ask cause I have listened to a frigging ton of this stuff.

Keasar

Black Library has started to show up on Audible. Some REALLY good stuff up. No Horus Heresy stuff yet, but lots of 40k stuff. Even the newest novel Watchers of the Throne that is apparently pretty AMAZING. As someone who spends a fortune on these audiobooks this is going to save me a ton of money.

Also if you want suggestions ask cause I have listened to a frigging ton of this stuff.

That is great.
Good of them to open up a bit and stop being so exclusive about their stuff. No sign of the Ciaphas Cain audio dramas but all three Eisenhorn books have my attention, will look into it.

Speaking of Warhammer 40K fiction, currently reading through the Gaunt's Ghost novels again to revise and catch up with the series. Was also wondering, is The Beast Arises series any good?

Tacitus_

Speaking of Warhammer 40K fiction, currently reading through the Gaunt's Ghost novels again to revise and catch up with the series. Was also wondering, is The Beast Arises series any good?

YMMV, the series is pretty divisive.
I enjoyed the politicking (ie, fucking everything up) between the High Lords. Bunch of stuff will make you go "uh what", but whether those hamper your enjoyment will depend on how sacrosanct you view the fluff that came before the series.

Keasar

Fluff inconsistencies isn't the entire world for me, even though some question marks will pop up, more concerned about if the story and writing is good. Not in a hurry though to get them as I am already busy with other series, just saw it mentioned and thought it sounded like a interesting event.

Bradach

Any strategic tips for dealing with astra milatarium armies? Mostly a lot of tanks bubble wrapped in cheap infantry.
(I'm using either space wolves or chaos)

Hex

Banned
Any strategic tips for dealing with astra milatarium armies? Mostly a lot of tanks bubble wrapped in cheap infantry.
(I'm using either space wolves or chaos)

You need to close the distance quickly.
Terminator can opener units can take advantage of non scatter and drop in and drop in some Blood Claws in a pod at the same time.
Let the BC charge the infantry and yeah you will lose some to Overwatch but they can assault in and pull them when they pile in, and you can get your terminators in.
Worse case your termies are locked in combat with infantry and they can't be shot at unless they withdraw.
Longfangs in cover throwing Las or rockets will make them have to take them out.
But all and all, go old school Wolves and drop in a couple suicide squads and you can shake things up (dice gods willing).

Bradach

You need to close the distance quickly.
Terminator can opener units can take advantage of non scatter and drop in and drop in some Blood Claws in a pod at the same time.
Let the BC charge the infantry and yeah you will lose some to Overwatch but they can assault in and pull them when they pile in, and you can get your terminators in.
Worse case your termies are locked in combat with infantry and they can't be shot at unless they withdraw.
Longfangs in cover throwing Las or rockets will make them have to take them out.
But all and all, go old school Wolves and drop in a couple suicide squads and you can shake things up (dice gods willing).
Thanks for that. I like the idea of a couple of suicide squads!

Ohnonono

Finished my 14 Plague Marines and bought myself Typhus as a reward! Should get here next week. Gonna assemble and paint him next before I move on to doing my Poxwalkers. No matter how much I want Mortarian I just can't justify spending the money when I feel like I need more basic options in my forces.

The stuff I have is
Dark Imperium Box
10 extra plague marines
Typhus

Is there a decent vehicle to add to this? The new tank seem like a good thing to throw in there? Either Unit of the new Terminators? It will be a bit before I pull the trigger but I want to plan ahead for my reward for finishing the Poxwalkers.

What are you mainly up against? That will be a big part of choosing the right vehicle.

Congratulations on getting so much painted!

Edit: converting some heldrakes to look like flies would be a fun project! Are they as bad ass in 8th or did they get toned down a bit?

Google image search nurgle heldrake for inspiration!

Finished my 14 Plague Marines and bought myself Typhus as a reward! Should get here next week. Gonna assemble and paint him next before I move on to doing my Poxwalkers. No matter how much I want Mortarian I just can't justify spending the money when I feel like I need more basic options in my forces.

The stuff I have is
Dark Imperium Box
10 extra plague marines
Typhus

Is there a decent vehicle to add to this? The new tank seem like a good thing to throw in there? Either Unit of the new Terminators? It will be a bit before I pull the trigger but I want to plan ahead for my reward for finishing the Poxwalkers.

I suggest checking Ebay for a Helbrute from the Dark Vengeance box. I believe they are strong and the mini is great. Just add some green stuff nurgledom.

Rumor came back about sisters of battle.

First army of 2018

- Celestine grey gax, yvrsine were showcases. To show investors that there was interest in female models.

- sisters were supposed to be the last 7th ed codex, but shipping/supply problems caused delay.

- that's why releases have been a bit weird and drawn out, as It messed up the timeline.

-expect a full line revamp +.

Also.
-an additional rumor about new species, might be a standalone or new allied tau species or both

DLchW04WkAA63mF.jpg:small

Good to see IMO.

Greyfax is a great model. If she is taste of what’s to come, color me excited.

The female representation news is good to hear. Women are fun to paint!

Ohnonono

That sisters rumor is cool. I don't have the budget to be starting new armies all the time, but I could see picking up a model or 2 just to paint. Also to show some support for some female focused stuff. That message is nice if what comes of it making more awesome models like Greyfax and stuff.

Ohnonono

As expected, the lawsuit for $62 million brought against GW by the bitter recaster they ceased trading with has been dismissed.

I only remember this stupid lawsuit cause some miniatures youtubers tried to play it up like it was some actual thing that mattered. It was hilarious listening to them try to act like it was an actual real thing that GW had to worry about.

Maledict

Given that they say Greyfax doesn't have boob plate, I think some people will be disappointed. The other two characters they mentioned do lack it however.
ybygafH.jpg

So now we have come full circle. That’s such a blatant copy of vampire hunter Valla from Heroes of the storm I’m surprised they aren’t talking copyright. Blizzard copied from GW, and now GW copies from Blizzard.

The original lore had the Ethereals appearing in one single night, following a series of strange lights being seen in the air at night. They took control of Tau society instantly as Tau instinctively followed them. There was also an autopsy where they discovered the difference between ethereals and other Tau was the presence of a gland in the brain that came from another animal from a planet a long way away, which couldn't possibly have naturally evolved.

There was other stuff as well - it was never directly spelt out, but it seemed to be clear that the Tau were artificially supported in some way, and the Eldar fit better than anyone else.

(Remember,. their entire society in the original lore appeared basically overnight. They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible).

That isn't quite true. The original Codex said there was a legend among the Tau where those things happened like that, not that it was inherently true and all that actually happened as the story says. The "Greater Good" and running their Empire relies on the Ethereals being viewed as supreme and utterly neccesary by the Tau, so if their unquestionable, infallible leaders had a typical backstory in Tau culture didn't elevate them about the others, they'd seem a bit too "normal".

Something else to consider, it's unlikely they'd say the Ethereals didn't fix things (E.g. they arrived but it took centuries to stop all the wars) in their legends because then they don't look perfect.

As for the information in Xenology, that was from an in-universe source that gets information wrong, speculates heavily and ultimately is not a reliable narrator.

They're In-universe speculation and centuries old legends from Tau Culture, from what i've seen there is no actual evidence for it that's reliable. They suggest the possibility, but that doesn't mean it's actually true.

With "They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible" though, isn't that what happened with us? From the discovery of blackpowder (the Tau were said to have Cannons when they Ethereals arrived) to spaceflight in around 1000 years, which from what i remember isn't that much different a time-frame than the Tau achieved it in (Up until a few hundred years before the current W40K time they were still using Fossil Fuels, even). The Ethereals allowed the Tau to work together, so there was no period with lots of wars and such after that, supposedly.

So now we have come full circle. That's such a blatant copy of vampire hunter Valla from Heroes of the storm I'm surprised they aren't talking copyright. Blizzard copied from GW, and now GW copies from Blizzard.

Am i missing something? This is the character you mean, right?

372px-Valla_Vampire_Slayer.jpg

The only similarities i can see are single-handed crossbows (which aren't unique to either of them), the hat and high-heels. Both of them have a typical daemon-hunter theme, which that hat is associated with. I don't see how Greyfax's slightly steampunk-gothic ornate witch/daemon hunter armour matches that character.

Leunam

Don't know how old this image is but John Blanche and many other artists have been using the colonial fashion/witch hunter trope for years.

With "They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible" though, isn't that what happened with us? From the discovery of blackpowder (the Tau were said to have Cannons when they Ethereals arrived) to spaceflight in around 1000 years, which from what i remember isn't that much different a time-frame than the Tau achieved it in (Up until a few hundred years before the current W40K time they were still using Fossil Fuels, even). The Ethereals allowed the Tau to work together, so there was no period with lots of wars and such after that, supposedly.

The Tau home planet was also isolated from the rest of the galaxy because of a warp storm. The passage of time for them could have been very different.

Ohnonono

Watchers of the Throne, holy shit. I am just a few chapters in and it is already up with some of the best books in 40 or 30K.

Ohnonono

Chris Wraight has put out some excellent books. I think it's fair to say he's reached the Abnett/A-D-B tier.

Yeah. I own the audiobooks for his White Scars HH stuff and havent listened yet. I am now very very excited. John French and Chris Wraight write some good stuff. The have a very strong writing team as far as genre fiction goes.

Ondor

Banned
Bought kharadron instead of some tau like I planned. Can't decide on basing. Have any of you ever experimented with a sky base?

barik

I've seen a lot of basing methods but I can honestly say I've never seen a sky base. Maybe something similar to this:

but with some cloud-like material on top, like cushion filling or something? Might end up looking like snow though.

Ondor

Banned
I've seen a lot of basing methods but I can honestly say I've never seen a sky base. Maybe something similar to this:

but with some cloud-like material on top, like cushion filling or something? Might end up looking like snow though.
Looking like snow was one of my big worries. That and looking like ocean.

This is an interesting example, thanks for this.

jesus the fuck is this

22310243_749655458578312_2976235789650935901_n.jpg

primaris super heavy: Forgeworld

Mastadon + repulsor glued together

I'm not sure what to think of that. While it looks cool, doesn't it defeat the point of what Space Marines are supposed to be all about? I don't know too much about Primaris Marines but aren't they still chapter-sized? If that's the case i don't see why they'd need a super-heavy.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm not sure what to think of that. While it looks cool, doesn't it defeat the point of what Space Marines are supposed to be all about? I don't know too much about Primaris Marines but aren't they still chapter-sized? If that's the case i don't see why they'd need a super-heavy.

The direction Gulliman is pushing towards is more legion style. Not immediately, but gradually.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So Cadia has fallen, Roboute Guilliman has returned, and we now have new class of Space Marines. I've missed so much.

Nazo

Wasn't Guilliman the one who said Space Marines shouldn't have legions anymore so no one has control over that much power at once?

I believe he’s been quoted in the Dark Imperium book saying that he was starting to think breaking up the legions may have been a mistake. Or so I’ve been told. I’ve not read it myself.

That tank looks cool but it’ll undoubtedly be like thunderhawk level expensive.

Tacitus_

XDx0FEL.jpg

+

rvuDbVj.jpg

(and primaris are just souped up marines, they plug into existing Chapters or make new ones)

I believe he's been quoted in the Dark Imperium book saying that he was starting to think breaking up the legions may have been a mistake. Or so I've been told. I've not read it myself.

Correct.

Xis

I believe he’s been quoted in the Dark Imperium book saying that he was starting to think breaking up the legions may have been a mistake. Or so I’ve been told. I’ve not read it myself.

Just rechecked - he only implies it.

“I should never have set the Five Hundred free,’ he said suddenly.
‘My lord?’ said Ventris.
‘I should not have done it,’ repeated Guilliman, gesturing expressively as he spoke. ‘I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I was following the Emperor’s wishes, letting men rule the affairs of men.’ He gave a rueful smile. ‘After I implemented the Codex Astartes and split the Legion, I thought it impossible for a force of one thousand battle-brothers to effectively govern such a large realm and perform their primary duty as guardians of the Imperium. My Legion was gone, and I did not want the Chapter that continued their traditions to become insular. They would have been distracted, perhaps never left Ultramar, had they Five Hundred Worlds to govern.”

Excerpt From
Dark Imperium
Guy Haley
This material may be protected by copyright.

And later others accuse him of building a new de-facto Legion; he stations a full ten chapters to guard Ultramar, but he denies that was his intent.

He is also accused of building up the Unnumbered Sons as a Legion, as they are a much larger force than a single chapter, but they are eventually broken up into a bunch of chapters.

XDx0FEL.jpg

+

rvuDbVj.jpg

(and primaris are just souped up marines, they plug into existing Chapters or make new ones)

Correct.

I get what it's based off, but it's still a Super Heavy tank based on appearances, and that doesn't fit with how Space Marines are used in the current setting. The first of those images (the fellblade) is from the Great Crusade when Space Marines operated as more traditional armies with thousands and thousands of Marines available, it fit in with them there. That isn't how chapters of around 1000 Marines operate in the 41st millenium, so having a super heavy available doesn't make much sense. There aren't going to be forces of Space Marines large enough to warrant the user of super heavy vehicles as they're aimed at more for quick strike missions.

Maybe if it was some sort of super-heavy transport for a full company of Marines that wouldn't be too bad, though.

Top Bottom