• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k; Download it now, not much time left. (reasons why you should inside).

Ferrio

Banned
Making a new pimping thread since the otherone was getting a bit to cumbersome, and now that I'm a bit more accustom to the game I can give more accurate information.

Before I start you can sign up for the open beta here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/dawnofwar/signup/

and download the client (600 megs) here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/142833.shtml

So what is warhammer 40k

Warhammer 40k is a Real Time Strategy game based on a Table Top game. The game is mostly remenisent of Starcraft when compared to other RTSes.

It features 4 races.

-Space Marines
A bunch of humans ready to blow crap up. Space Marines have a lot of customization. When you create a unit (units are actually squads) you can then equip them on the fly with various weapons mattering on the sitation (such as sniper rifle, flame thrower, rocket launcher ect). Marines eventually also get the ability to drop marines or vehicles from space anywhere on the map for a nice suprise attack.

-Chaos Marines
They're marines, but even crazier.

-Orks.
Imagine if orcs figured out space travel, now you have orks. Orks are different than the other 3 races as they have an additional "resource" needed to build units. Orks must build WAAARRG Banners (which raise unit limit) in order to produce higher tier units. The higher your unit limit, the better units you can create. Orks also have insanely high numbers of units per squad (16).

-Eldar
Space Elves. Psychic powered elves with flowery language that really hate anything not Eldar. Eldars have quite a lot of powerful options, such as being able to teleport buildings to different places on the map, or being able to summon huge electrical storms to knock squads flat on their ass. Currently they're a bit too powerful, and even I as a Eldar player say they need to be toned down.

So it's like Starcraft, does it actually have any differences?

Yes here's a few nifty things that starcraft don't do.

-Squad based combat. Units are actual squads and when created come out with an initial number of units in the squad. You can then purchase more units to be in the squad on the fly, even while in battle. Even if you have one person left in the squad, you can queue up a bunch more to join the squad so you'll be back in buisness.

-Great weapon effects. Big explosions, scorch marks, and seeing 20 soldiers being flung outward from a blast radius is awesome.

-Great animations. All the animations are top notch. Like for example the Ork building animations. instead of just walking up and building a structure, a drop ship comes by and slams the foundation of the building on the ground. Then the peons finish the rest up the rest.

Fighting animations are top notch too. Watch as units do hand to hand combat... or as giant walking mechs pick up soldiers and shake them like a rag doll while blood flies everywhere.

-Economy. The economy is quite different from your average RTS. Unlike most RTSes you don't collect resources with peons for economy. In Warhammer there's two resources, acquisition and power.

Aquisition is obtained by claiming various strategic points on the map. You tell a squad to go to a capture point and they'll plant a flag and take a moment to capture the point. Once you capture a point you'll start to gain more aquisition income. You can also place buildings onto captured points to gain even more income. Beware though, captured points start to decay and start producing less income so you either have to make better towers ontop of them or capture new points.

Power is the easier resource to get. To get power all you do is build a power making building. There's two kinds, one is a basic building that'll just produces +10 power. The other requires a special place on the map (slag deposit) and produces more power than the regular (forget how much)

-Custom unit coloring, banner and badges. In warhammer 40k you can custom color your units to give it your own personal touch. You can also create pictures to be displayed on your flags you plant in strategic points, or badges to wear on your armor.

There's a lot more neat things in the game, but I'll let you find those yourselves.

Also remember the game is still in beta, and there's still a lot of balancing being done and bug squashing. So don't get upset if for some reason a skill doesn't seem to be working, or the Eldrich Farseer keeps electrical storming you every 2 seconds. Well you can get upset over that last thing, people shouldn't exploit known bugs.

Here's some pictures of my multiplayer adventures.

warhammer.jpg

warhammer2.jpg

warhammer3.jpg

warhammer4.jpg

warhammer5.jpg

warhammer6.jpg

warhammer7.jpg

warhammer8.jpg

warhammer9.jpg

IJoel

Is there any place else where to download this? I was going to download it until I had to fill out a form where I almost had to fucking sign in blood my first newborn.

What the fuck is up with these applications these days?

Ferrio

Banned
IJoel said:
Is there any place else where to download this? I was going to download it until I had to fill out a form where I almost had to fucking sign in blood my first newborn.

What the fuck is up with these applications these days?

To download it you need a gamespy account, you need a gamespy account to play online... so might as well do it.

IJoel

Ferrio said:
To download it you need a gamespy account, you need a gamespy account to play online... so might as well do it.

I do have a gamespy account already. That's why it pisses me off.

Address, DOB, etc. I'm surprised they didn't ask me for my SS#.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Bugmenot seems to work on fileplanet (look on the OT forum if you dont know what that is) that'll save you filling stuff in.

Im really liking this game too, the resource system is straight out of TA, its downright thievery, but its perfect so im not complaining.

I love the 'ultimate units' like the avatar and stuff, they look great and the animations they produce are great.

The squad system is probably one of the best in an RTS too, reminds me of Kohan so that should please a lot of people here :)

I dont like the Stategic Points win rule (for those that havent played, on the map theres a series of "critical points" which really do nothing but represent what are apparently important places to hold, if you hold 75% and the enemy cant regain a point before a short timer ends its game over. Its not a bad system but if they are supposed to be important to hold they should actually offer strategic advantages, like bottleneck points or hills, seems like they are just normal points spread evenly across map (this might be different in the full game maps, and you can always turn the option off)

Ferrio

Banned
Ghost said:
Bugmenot seems to work on fileplanet (look on the OT forum if you dont know what that is) that'll save you filling stuff in.

Im really liking this game too, the resource system is straight out of TA, its downright thievery, but its perfect so im not complaining.

I love the 'ultimate units' like the avatar and stuff, they look great and the animations they produce are great.

The squad system is probably one of the best in an RTS too, reminds me of Kohan so that should please a lot of people here :)

I dont like the Stategic Points win rule (for those that havent played, on the map theres a series of "critical points" which really do nothing but represent what are apparently important places to hold, if you hold 75% and the enemy cant regain a point before a short timer ends its game over. Its not a bad system but if they are supposed to be important to hold they should actually offer strategic advantages, like bottleneck points or hills, seems like they are just normal points spread evenly across map (this might be different in the full game maps, and you can always turn the option off)

I personally like the strategic point rule, it gets people off their asses more often.

AeroGod

Hey Bish. If you guys do an expansion, and im sure you will, are you going to add new races. I need my fucking Tyranids NOW! :p

WarPig

AeroGod said:
Hey Bish. If you guys do an expansion, and im sure you will, are you going to add new races. I need my fucking Tyranids NOW! :p

Supposedly there are mod teams working on new races already. When the THQ guys came by to demo it for us, they mentioned that some group has a Tau army already modeled and ready to go...

DFS.

AeroGod

Fuck the Tau! :p

Tyranids people...tyranids.

And hell, if they are doing that. Maybe we will get some real talented people to do a mod for this with traditional fantasy Warhammer. OMFG that would rule. Skaven vs Dwarfs mutha!

Top Bottom