• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k : Space Marine E3 Trailer

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Eh, doesn't look too interesting.

But on the other hand I do live WH40K universe and I do love Relic so I guess I will keep my eye on this.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Amazing, definitely looking forward to it (loved Dawn of War 2 and all their other games). Looks to be the same engine but really digging the art style (this and the MMO both share very similar graphics. Nice)

Decado

I should be stoked about this, but Relic isn't a good console developer and the video was underwhelming. The idea is awesome, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Looks utterly generic, uninspired and completely derivative.

...on the other hand, it's Warhammer 40K. Day 1.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How do you not release this on PC, Relic? The console market doesn't even know W40K.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
K.Jack said:
How do you not release this on PC, Relic? The console market doesn't even know W40K.

What? Not on the PC? Un-day one'd.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I was really impressed by Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising, so this will probably be day one for me. DoW II was my first intro to Warhammer 40K though, so I have some novel reading to do.

WanderingWind

luxarific said:
I was really impressed by Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising, so this will probably be day one for me. DoW II was my first intro to Warhammer 40K though, so I have some novel reading to do.

I thought the same thing. But apparently, there is no first Warhammer 40K book. They all assume you know what the fuck is going on - at least, as far as I can tell.

WanderingWind said:
I thought the same thing. But apparently, there is no first Warhammer 40K book. They all assume you know what the fuck is going on - at least, as far as I can tell.

The Horus Heresy books are pretty good, it's where I started anyways.

Definitely check them out.

I believe it's the beginning of the Chaos Marines, or so I gathered when I read it.

JWong

Banned
If those are really ingame gameplay and graphics, then I think it looks better than Gears.

I never liked Unreal's dirty and intense specular look.

K.Jack

This looks to be following the Ultramarines, so you can start with their lore as well.

tl;dr - They're badass Space Smurfs.

Narag

All you need is the tvtropes description to jump in to WH40k funtimes.

tvtropes said:
Thirty-eight thousand years in the future, the mighty Imperium of Mankind has spread across the galaxy, to discover that the galaxy is a hell that would make Hieronymous Bosch **** himself in terror, and that it has a hell. From without, the Imperium is assailed by alien monsters from the depths of space, nightmare death-machines and soulless daemons; from within, treachery, heresy, mindless incompetence and the festering taint of Chaos threaten to tear it apart.

Warhammer 40,000 is not a happy place. Rather than just being Darker And Edgier, it paints itself black and hurls itself over the edge. The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do until you die, but something to do until something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way - quite probably someone on your own side. The Messiah has been locked up on life support for the past ten millennia, laid low by his most beloved son, and an incomprehensibly vast Church Militant commits hourly atrocities in his name.

The problem is, as bad as the Imperium is, the other forces in the galaxy are generally far, far worse. Death is about the best you can hope for against the vast majority of the other major players in the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. The basic premise of 40k is as a constant, impossibly vast conflict between genocidal, xenocidal and in one case omnicidal civilisations, with every single weapon, ideology and creative piece of nastiness turned up to eleven. (The basic sidearm of a Space Marine is a fully automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher. The Astronomican, a navigation aid, has the souls of thousands of psychic humans sacrificed to it every day, dying by inches to feed the machine. The faster-than-light travel used by most factions carries with it a good chance of being eaten by daemons.) There is no time for peace, no respite, no forgiveness; there is only war.

WanderingWind

SpinningFrog said:
The Horus Heresy books are pretty good, it's where I started anyways.

Definitely check them out.

I believe it's the beginning of the Chaos Marines, or so I gathered when I read it.

Guess I'll start there. I guess there is no Warhammer 40K: Year One type thing? I understood the general idea of the universe from the Dawn of War games, but I assumed there were books explaining the start of all that. Like, Orks. Are they aliens from space, or a mythological race that are alien to mankind? Same with the Chaos Marines and Daemons. Eldar are obviously alien. Who is the Emperor? (thanks TvTropes!) Why are they actually warring?

Basically, the "why" of WH40K. I guess it boils down to "cause explosions are cool?"

The other thing you could do is buy some of the Warhammer RPG books, they typically have quite a bit of story about the Warhammer universe in them.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
WanderingWind said:
Guess I'll start there. I guess there is no Warhammer 40K: Year One type thing? I understood the general idea of the universe from the Dawn of War games, but I assumed there were books explaining the start of all that. Like, Orks. Are they aliens from space, or a mythological race that are alien to mankind? Same with the Chaos Marines and Daemons. Eldar are obviously alien. Who is the Emperor? (thanks TvTropes!) Why are they actually warring?

Basically, the "why" of WH40K. I guess it boils down to "cause explosions are cool?"

Ooh there's a good wiki up. Very informative.

Still don't get the demons/Chaos. Aliens from another dimension?

deadairis

The entire backstory/reason to be is that it's cool to see elves and men fight, but in the future.

Daemons are basically aliens from another dimension, if you like. Really, they're daemons. They possess people, they have hell planets, time moves differently around them, to look upon them is to know madness or death, they have orders and ranks...they're daemons. Grant Morrision would call them aliens from another dimension, basically a dimension of darkness-themed chaos.

It's so ridiculous it's great. Day 1.

WanderingWind

Ah. I think I'm beginning to understand. This is like a more successful, sci-fi version of Dragonlance.

"Why? Because it was cool in a RPG. Now stop asking questions and watch as this chick in blue armor rides a dragon."

I'm buying this game. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
deadairis said:
The entire backstory/reason to be is that it's cool to see elves and men fight, but in the future.

Daemons are basically aliens from another dimension, if you like. Really, they're daemons. They possess people, they have hell planets, time moves differently around them, to look upon them is to know madness or death, they have orders and ranks...they're daemons. Grant Morrision would call them aliens from another dimension, basically a dimension of darkness-themed chaos.

It's so ridiculous it's great. Day 1.

Both the Eldar and Orks are workable as aliens, but the Chaos gods in DoWII and Chaos Rising threw me a bit. But both games were the best RTS's I've played this gen and they impressed me enough to make this new game a day one for me (even though it's not an RTS). I love that the Humans are not the good guys in this universe. I don't think there even are good guys in this universe. :lol

I've been reading the "Gaunt's Ghosts" series. Space Marines are cool but right now I'm in an Imperial Guard frame of mind.

Probably day 1 though.

Llyranor

Isn't this an action RPG of sorts, and not just an action game?

DoW2/Chaos Rising has shown that Relic has their RPG elements down pat. That + co-op makes me pretty interested in this.

WanderingWind

luxarific said:
Both the Eldar and Orks are workable as aliens, but the Chaos gods in DoWII and Chaos Rising threw me a bit. But both games were the best RTS's I've played this gen and they impressed me enough to make this new game a day one for me (even though it's not an RTS). I love that the Humans are not the good guys in this universe. I don't think there even are good guys in this universe. :lol

I have to say, the games are so much better when fighting the Orks. I love their design. Is there a mission pack or expansion where you can play as them?

K.Jack

WanderingWind said:

The closest you'll get to "Year One", is by looking up the Old Ones and the Necrontyr. From there, you have the origins of the Orks and Eldar.

Dude Abides

Banned
I could see this being pretty good if the melee combat has a reasonable amount of depth and you can fluidly switch between melee and shooting.

WanderingWind said:

Dan Abnett is probably the best writer of the fiction imo. Start with him. He's done a couple of Horus Heresy books.

Enosh

WanderingWind said:

short version

-old ones, long time ago created a lot of shit
-the C'tan (Gods, said to be the oldest things in existance) find the Necrontyr, give them immortality by transforming them all into space robot zombies, they are now called necrons
-old ones vs necrons + C'than, why? Beacose they can and something about souls, C'than eating them or something in that way
-old ones start loosing create the Eldar (space elves) to help
-old ones still loosing, create the Orks to help
-doesn't realy help old ones dead, necrons purge the galaxy of allmost everything, elslavers emerge and force them to go to sleep
-eldar and ork defeat the enslavers
-fast forward a bit and we come to around NOW (2010) them emperor* is somewhere in the world guiding mankind
-the first 3 Chaos Gods also emerge somewhere around now, give or take
-golden age, humanity begins to expand, colonize the starts, is preaty down with the aliens, all is peachy
-Eldar fuck everything up, quite literary, due to their constant fucking (again, quite literary) they awaken the 4th Chaos God, who causes the Eye of Terror to open, thus fucking over warp travel (primary method of humans moving around the galaxy, communication etc), which causes human colonies to be lost, everything goes to shit, earth looses all contact, dissolves into a lot of small states rules by warlords yadayadyada [insert grim dark]
-emperor comes out from behind the scenes, starts building an army, get followers and starts kicking ass all around Earth (lets call it terra, better that way), build the first Space Marines, unites Terra, signs a treaty with mars (basicly our solar systems forge) and starts building a lot of military shit and I mean A LOT, since well, there is a Crusade he has to lead
-at this point he also gives his own genes to build the first Primarchs (20 of them), his sons, who are suposed to become the leaders of his armies, but they scatered by the Chaos gods all around the galxy, he finds them all, some sooner than others
-great Crusade, yay, warp calms down and humans start to kick ass all over the galaxy, they are preaty shocked when they see that a lot of human colonies have been enlsaved by aliens while earth was cut off, so they start a radical policy called fucking genocide of everything that isn't human-ish (note: applies more to some species than others)
-humanity conquers almost the whole galxy, but given that this is WH40k we are talking about the GRIMDARK ins't far away, so there is the horus heresy, Horus, the first and most beloved son of the Emperor rebels against him, takes half of the forces of the imperium with him and starts a civil war, he looses is killed and the remaining forces retreat through they Eye of terror into the warp
-which brings us to now in the 40k universe, tyranids invading, necrons wakin up, motherfucking tau, well there was another civil war thingy in betwen, but that one wans't realy that important

why they fight:
-Orks, beacose they want to, seriously, they love a good fight
-Eldar, beacose they are racist xenohobic dicks, who would rather kill a trillion humans than let one Eldar 1 month old die
-Chaos, well they are chaos, total destruction etc etc
-Necrons, destroy all living in order to destroy the warp
-Tau, beacose they are fucking space communist, they don't fight as much as they get beaten down by everyone and then saved by a fucking deus ex machina in the form of "oh shit we have a bigger fish to fry, see you latter"
-Tyranids, well space locust, they don't fight, they just want to eat and it's easyer to eat thigs when they are dead
-Dark eldar, meh space pirates, not realy a threath to anyone
-Imperium, beacose everyone above wants them dead for the above mentioned reasons, well that isn't to say that the IoM doens't start war of agressions, they are quite good at them given that they are also racist xenophobic dicks

half of this is probably wrong

*the Emperor (emprah :lol ) is the greatest human ever, he was created somewhere around 10000 BC in modern day Turkey when some shamans sacrificed their souls and gave all their powers to him, beacose they forsaw the chalanges manking will face, in the ultimate irony he was preaty anti religion, destroying all religious buildings, monuments etc on earth when he took over, promoting science and reason, but in the 41st millenium he is worshiped as a God

luxarific said:
What's the bolt thing in their heads? Control device?
you get one when you have 100 years (iirc) of service as a SM under your belt

no seriously, I am not kidding

WanderingWind said:
Wow. Thanks for the info dump guys.

I have my reading homework cut out for me, apparently. :lol

With just basic background summary of the universe setting and races, you can easily get into anything 40k, it's a pretty expansive universe but also to get into with no real starting spot.

Binabik15

kingmong-02.jpg

Yes, please.

Just make sure that the bolter rounds actually detonate inside the enemies, they´re ROCKETS filled with EXPLOSIVES.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
BattleMonkey said:
With just basic background summary of the universe setting and races, you can easily get into anything 40k, it's a pretty expansive universe but also to get into with no real starting spot.

Yeah but, I feel like I should be reading a hundred books about it. Mainly due to all the crazy shit we hear about it.

Top Bottom