• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 announced

Gamezone

Gold Member
Bought this game, not knowing it was always online. I used to play offline split screen in Left for Dead.

cripterion

Better have orcs or chaos or anything else to fight in there. I know it's called Vermintide but why the need for the sequel if they won't change things up?

Better have orcs or chaos or anything else to fight in there. I know it's called Vermintide but why the need for the sequel if they won't change things up?
Yeah, that's all I want. More enemies / new factions and the one or other new hero class. Better loot-system can't hurt.

First game was great overall.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. First one was a great game.

Hopefully there's more enemy diversity and less jank this time.

Also fix the horrible loot system right off the bat.

Dervius

Dabbled in this on Xbox, massively enjoyed it but haven't really found the group I was hoping to smash through it with.

Should probably use LFG.

Philxor

Really happy Fatshark are getting the opportunity to do this (mainly because it goes some way to re-balancing the Games Workshop-licensed game good/bad ratio). I didn't get stuck into Vermintide as much as I wanted but what I did play was tremendously fun. I hope they get to build on the solid foundation and manage to refine it and introduce some variety too. Can't wait.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Yeah, should be good - hope they improve the absurdly punishing loot system this time though. Also, the Platinum trophy is bordering on impossible on PS4.

To this day i've never understood why the original vermintide has a downright f2p loot system. If they fix that, i'm interested.

Fury451

Banned
Awesome. Vermintide is a shamelessly excellent clone of L4D and I had so much fun with it. The Inquisitor was the best

Drop that loot shit though please or at least make it less crappy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vermintide was really good overall, but the loot system was beyond terrible, and all their attempts to fix it were terrible, so hopefully they actually address that this time.

MUnited83

For you.
Will wait a while before picking it up. The community for the first died really quickly, barely ever managed to find people to play with anything that wasn't the first few levels.

cyress8

Banned
You guys should thank me. I bought WH: Verm last night on the Humble Bundle and my dollars made this happened. So "Thanks, cyress8!"

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Will wait a while before picking it up. The community for the first died really quickly, barely ever managed to find people to play with anything that wasn't the first few levels.

Terrible loot and progression system to to blame for that. The game itself offered a good amount of levels and diversity that would have helped it survived had the rest been fine.

Nazo

Just watched the trailer and the bestial roar during the logo reveal sounds suspiciously like an Orc "WAAAAGH!"

Hopefully they'll make changes to the loot system and add some more in depth character customization. I really didn't like how that was loot based in the first game.

Also a new character class. I really wanna play an Orc. But that's just me.

The game really needs a versus mode like Left 4 Dead. It'll do wonders to keep its online community alive and well.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I won the first one and still have it in my backlog to play on XB1 - I really do want to play it but I really don't know when I'll be able to do so time-wise. The good thing is that it's on the XB1X enhancement list so that might be an incentive.

Surprised by this sequel announcement since I would have imagined this game being super-niche. Glad to read about it though.

Lord Phol

I had fun with the first one when it was free on steam for a weekend. Seemed a bit grindy and was quite unoptimized but the gameplay was fun and there aren't a lot of good L4D type of games out there. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

Rymuth

Vermintide was really cool. Excited to see this.

Still, I'm rather curious when this occurs since Vermintide 1 happened during The End Times.

Just watched the trailer and the bestial roar during the logo reveal sounds suspiciously like an Orc "WAAAAGH!"

Hopefully they'll make changes to the loot system and add some more in depth character customization. I really didn't like how that was loot based in the first game.

Also a new character class. I really wanna play an Orc. But that's just me.

The game really needs a versus mode like Left 4 Dead. It'll do wonders to keep its online community alive and well.

Tbf, given that the skaven are hated by.... pretty much everybody, including other skaven, they could get away with nearly all other species working together just long enough to to escape them.

Failing that, can always go with orcs, chaos, dark elves, tomb kings, vampire counts.

And lizardmen. I wants my goddamn lizardmen.

Nazo

Tbf, given that the skaven are hated by.... pretty much everybody, including other skaven, they could get away with nearly all other species working together just long enough to to escape them.

Failing that, can always go with orcs, chaos, dark elves, tomb kings, vampire counts.

And lizardmen. I wants my goddamn lizardmen.

An Orc character would probably be the easiest to justify since he'd just be looking for a good fight. lol

They could rationalize that the rest of the party allows working with an Orc because of how dire a situation the end times/the vemintide is.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Good to see. The first game was great, but worried the flailing community left its fate uncertain for future games.

Vashu

For those who do not own Vermintide, the latest Humble Jumbo Bundle has it!

And yes, I am very much looking forward to the sequel. ^_^

Get rid of the loot system entirely. It was mindboggling in how poorly conceived it was from the get-go, it added nothing of value with how shallow it actually is (like most action-oriented 'hybrid games' these days) and it's painstakingly clear that Fatshark has no idea whatsoever on how to implement such an idea, given how multiple rebalances ultimately fell flat. Cut the pretence and rip it out without ever looking back.

Get rid of the loot system entirely. It was mindboggling in how poorly conceived it was from the get-go, it added nothing of value with how shallow it actually is (like most action-oriented 'hybrid games' these days) and it's painstakingly clear that Fatshark has no idea whatsoever on how to implement such an idea, given how multiple rebalances ultimately fell flat. Cut the pretence and rip it out without ever looking back.

fwiw, fatshark also showed that it had pretty much no idea how to handle dlc either

"oh hey, how can we improve our dwindling player base? Oh i know! Let us fracture the shit outta it with paid dlc maps!"

Cels

fwiw, fatshark also showed that it had pretty much no idea how to handle dlc either

"oh hey, how can we improve our dwindling player base? Oh i know! Let us fracture the shit outta it with paid dlc maps!"

there was the half-measure of "only one person in the party needs to own the DLC" but it didn't help because it is extremely rare to see anybody queuing for any of the DLC maps

The loot system existed as an incentive to play higher difficulties. If you had every weapon and item you wanted, there would be no point in playing the game on Hard or Nightmare other than bragging rights, since there's no PvP, leaderboards or competitive aspect. I'm not defending it (since I dislike it as well), but there's a reason it's there.

I think that's why they just straight up started working on a sequel. The way the first game was structured, FS really didn't have any option short of a huge overhaul of most of the games' systems, and they probably preferred to just start with a clean slate with all the lessons learned (and much larger budget).

IIRC they stated a few times if Vermintide didn't succeed, the studio wouldn't have survived. It's one of my favorite coop games of recent years so this news makes me happy.

Others here already voiced my thoughts on the loot system and DLC, hopefully that gets addressed. I bought the game on PS4 at first and the performance was... less than adequate, event post patches. Connection issues also plagued it at first (no pun intended).

Looking forward to what they can do in the sequel on a clean slate,

The loot system existed as an incentive to play higher difficulties. If you had every weapon and item you wanted, there would be no point in playing the game on Hard or Nightmare other than bragging rights, since there's no PvP, leaderboards or competitive aspect. I'm not defending it (since I dislike it as well), but there's a reason it's there.

I'm not following you here. Why does loot incentivise higher difficulty? Lots of games have difficulty levels without loot and work fine. If anything, loot strips out a lot of the meaning of difficulty the way I see it. RNG gear drops having a significant influence on my ability to clear higher difficulties just isn't fun. Why not just give everyone the tools, and let them see if they have the skills to beat a level on normal/hard/nightmare etc.?

dan2026

For almost a straight ripoff of L4D, the first game was pretty damn good.
And as Valve don't make games anymore, fuck it.
Verminitide is the new L4D now.

Top Bottom