• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk (PS3): State of Play 2021

Sybrix

Sweet, gonna try tomorrow, thanks

A remake of this game or reboot F2P would be so perfect for Sony

Last edited:

ManaByte

I loved the PSX original. Seriously one of my favorite early PSX games (the soundtrack is AWESOME). I want a new one of those.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you didn't type "(PS3)" you literally would have killed me K Kerlurk

Any theories why Warhawk (and Starhawk) never really took off for Sony?

Last edited:
i miss this game, so y sleeps on its most pote tial games

socom
Warhawk
Fkn Syphon filter ( they have kojima on ther side give him syphon filter and let him do his magic

I loved it, zones was my favourite mode. I’m not a big fan of PS3 however Warhawk and the amount of hours and fun I had, I’m glad I bought one.

I wish even a remaster for PS4/PS5 would happen :-(

BreakOut

When Sony is blind and deaf to even see there is a community for their IPS...

the management at Sony right now is actually worse than the arrogant Sony back in the PS3 days.
Lightbox interactive made this right? Wasn’t there some controversy involving them? I’m sure Sony owns the IP and they definitely should revive it. But the OG studio not being involved may have caused their apprehensions. Only took 37374728 years for demons souls, so this should be next.

BreakOut

I loved it, zones was my favourite mode. I’m not a big fan of PS3 however Warhawk and the amount of hours and fun I had, I’m glad I bought one.

I wish even a remaster for PS4/PS5 would happen :-(
This and MAG. Sony doesn’t have a whole lot in the way of 1st party multiplayer.. but actually they do if they’d just use it. They had Socom too.. kind of on them for lack of multiplayer. I’d love to see the trio back. Socom , Warhawk and mag. Would put the lack of online gaming issues to bed.

MaKTaiL

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

I was going to say Warhawk on PS5? My ass is too old for this shit. I'm like that old man talking about Unreal Tournament, Warhawk, Quake and others where my hands aren't what they used to be.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This is delusional. This is the most successful Sony has ever been. Remixing failed games doesnt move any needle.
I agree and am surprised people offer up that kind of low quality criticisms given the recent warning on console warring.

With regard to Warhawk, I always thought the concept was cool, but couldn't get into the gameplay personally. I think this is so awesome when people manage to foster a community against the odds.

ElCasual

Sony giving shit for all the legacy of Playstation Games. Kudos for the community

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This was one of the first games I played on PS3. Good thing I tried a few others.

//DEVIL//

So much worse that they make record of profit instead to lose bilions. So worse that they make many games instead of mediocre games like infamous or ps all stars.
Those midcore games are what made the Playstation 3 and PlayStation 4 sky rocket in sales later on. And the ps5 is just riding that train hype. Come next year when there is no shortages and you will see how it will trend down. It’s already doing like shit in Japan and below the ps4 sales in europe if I am not mistaken.

Don’t be short sighted. Games like twisted metal. IOC, Sotc. Infamous, kinitica, Warhawk and plenty of other IPs are what gave the PlayStation a unique style of different games for everyone to enjoy.

what do we have now ? Couple of marvel games and uncharted or last of us ?

is it possible to get any more boring than this ?
I can already see next year PlayStation event games without having to guess too much .
It’s the above games lol.

Sometimes a company has to make a loss in games sales to establish a unique user base. It’s called investment. Those high profit numbers are because of the brand name.

It’s not like MS is any better. If anything they are worse. 2 years into a new generation of the consoles and not a worthy exclusive ? They can fuck off too. But at least they have 2 big games coming in the next 2 months so eh. That’s good.

Whatever it was during the ps2/ ps3/ps4 release window. Sony always had some games to show the potential of their system .
The bouncer and tekken tag 2 during ps2 days/ Warhawk resistance and ridge racer during ps3 days. / infamous, killzone and drive club during the ps4 games.
All those games while not super amazing by today’s standard, they made you feel like owning an next gen system.
Do you know what It feel with the ps5 ? A ps4 pro + . (Unless a remake of a corridor ps3 game impress you lol)

All this is because Sony isn’t talking chances. They are becoming boring.
The fact they are arrogant too and becoming an SJW shit company is just icing on that piece of shit they are becoming.
It’s really sad. Which is why I hope Sony Japan takes over again from those idiots running the company right now.

Don’t get me wrong. I love PlayStation and I love their exclusives. But they are not enough and it’s becoming boring. Just partner with new studios with your established IPs. Make something new ffs.

the best ps4 game IMO was ghost of Tsushima. BecUss it was new and unique. Even the sound track on that game rocks. Main while last of us 2 I didn’t buy it when it was 20$ Canadian.

Last edited:

NewYork214

I rarely ever get into multiplayer games. But I absolutely loved Warhawk. Dont have a ps3 (stolen) but would jump on this if I did

JoeBudden

Warhawk was so ahead of its time. I just wish it had double the player count for each map. I would throw $70 at a remaster / remake.

Starhawk was a complete L tho.

Last edited:

leo-j

Those midcore games are what made the Playstation 3 and PlayStation 4 sky rocket in sales later on. And the ps5 is just riding that train hype. Come next year when there is no shortages and you will see how it will trend down. It’s already doing like shit in Japan and below the ps4 sales in europe if I am not mistaken.

Don’t be short sighted. Games like twisted metal. IOC, Sotc. Infamous, kinitica, Warhawk and plenty of other IPs are what gave the PlayStation a unique style of different games for everyone to enjoy.

I can already see next year PlayStation event games without having to guess too much .

Sometimes a company has to make a loss in games sales to establish a unique user base. It’s called investment. Those high profit numbers are because of the brand name.

It’s not like MS is any better. If anything they are worse. 2 years into a new generation of the consoles and not a worthy exclusive ? They can fuck off too. But at least they have 2 big games coming in the next 2 months so eh. That’s good.

Whatever it was during the ps2/ ps3/ps4 release window. Sony always had some games to show the potential of their system .
The bouncer and tekken tag 2 during ps2 days/ Warhawk resistance and ridge racer during ps3 days. / infamous, killzone and drive club during the ps4 games.
All those games while not super amazing by today’s standard, they made you feel like owning an next gen system.
Do you know what It feel with the ps5 ? A ps4 pro + . (Unless a remake of a corridor ps3 game impress you lol)

The fact they are arrogant too and becoming an SJW shit company is just icing on that piece of shit they are becoming.
It’s really sad. Which is why I hope Sony Japan takes over again from those idiots running the company right now.

Don’t get me wrong. I love PlayStation and I love their exclusives. But they are not enough and it’s becoming boring. Just partner with new studios with your established IPs. Make something new ffs.

the best ps4 game IMO was ghost of Tsushima. BecUss it was new and unique. Even the sound track on that game rocks. Main while last of us 2 I didn’t buy it when it was 20$ Canadian.
Uh ? So what happened with Returnal? How about Horizon? The gen just started….. it’s actually easily the best start to any PS gen. Kena, Returnal, Souls, ratchet, and GoT all just came out.

EDMIX

So i don't know what to say. I love Warhawk more then the next guy, but Sony not doing a sequel or not continuing it has nothing to do with hating fans and more to do with logic and business.

They always put out new IP, try it out and if nothing happens, they move on. That is business. They have no ode to keep making failures. If its not working out, they move on.

To pretend that they don't do this or that anymore is just silly and I think you haven't really thought about this and more so triggered about something else. For example, you state "Don’t be short sighted. Games like twisted metal. IOC, Sotc. Infamous, kinitica, Warhawk and plenty of other IPs are what gave the PlayStation a unique style of different games for everyone to enjoy.

what do we have now ? Couple of marvel games and uncharted or last of us ?"

So..no, we don't just ONLY have Marvel games, Uncharted or The Last Of Us, for fuck sakes...you ignored WE GOT InFAMOUS SECOND SON! lol You even ignored that we got a remake of SoTC and we got The Last Guardian. You are literally asking for games that already got Sequels on PS4 and remakes lol

Sooooo not sure what to say.

We got Dreams, Resogun, Sound Shapes, Knack, The Playroom, Driveclub, Tearaway, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, Drawn To Death, Ghost Of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. They put out many new IP, they tried many new things...VR.

I'm sorry but to really try to force this shit like they only do Marvel, Uncharted, The Last Of Us sounds like a forced argument to force a narrative. I don't see any evidence of this.

So not getting another MAG or Warhawk isn't that shocking. If a game doesn't do well, they don't return with sequels or reboots etc, it also likely has to do with titles like PubG, Call Of Duty, Fortnite, Battelfield etc already fill that void in the cataloge, they literally move some of the most units with those games anyway, as to my understanding, the majority of COD sales are from Playstation.

So they have a logical reason why they might not put out Warhawk, on top of low sales, on top of already doing lots of new IP that move more units.

So.....I don't see anything about them not wanting to take risk, or hating MP games or the community etc
Warhawk (1986 video game) (Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit/ST) (Not this one)
Warhawk (1995 video game) (PS) (Not this one)
Warhawk (2007 video game) (PS3) <- this one :)

Trophies: YES, even though PS Trophies were introduced in 2008, but update ver 1.5 included them with this game.

For those that don't know, this is an online only game, and Sony shut down the servers on January 31, 2019. :(

The Warhawk/Playstation community has been hard at work keeping this game alive, and that was done via an Android app "Warhawk Reborn", which I've tried, but was not too crazy about, as it took me a long time each time I played to get it to recognize my router, before I could begin playing.

Now, there is a new way to get connected:

The community has done an outstanding job, and you just have to configure the DNS on your PS3.

I've tested it, and played quite a few sessions, and it works brilliantly!

It's very simple, and by setting the Primary DNS only, you still have full access to the internet for your other games/etc., via the Secondary DNS settings.

Completely functional in-game lobby implementation, ability to create dedicated and peer-lobby servers. Full stats, ranking and customizations. It also works using RPCS3/RPCN (PS3 emulators on PC) with some graphical issues.

Here are the instructions:
https://www.psone.online/getting-started

So if before you found it too much of a hassle to play, now you have no excuse. :)

This is a consolation to Sony not announcing PS4/PS5 version of Warhawk in it's recent game broadcast (PlayStation Showcase 2021, Sept 2nd).

As much as I love the IP, I just don't see much being done with it. It would be nice if it was rebooted, but it would take a lot of work to bring it up to todays standards. With so many MP titles by 3rd party already doing wild sales, i just don't see that Sony feels they NEED a Warhawk and imho...they are correct.

GG could do a Warhawk reboot, swap 3rd person and first person on the fly, have a VR mode for the new VR headset coming out, throw in a classic BR mode for the newbies lol Could work, but I see why Sony moved on from those types of games, a massive market already exist where they already move the most units in it on PS anyway. As to my understanding, most people who play Fortnite and Call Of Duty, do so on PS systems. Sony likely doesn't see what they are gaining from a market they already have the majority in. So who knows, maybe that new team they have thats making some new FPS is a MP focused thing and they want to leave room open to re-enter that market.

edit.

So who knows, maybe this means that door is still open for MP titles and a reboot to Warhawk isn't 100% out of the picture.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Lightbox interactive made this right? Wasn’t there some controversy involving them? I’m sure Sony owns the IP and they definitely should revive it. But the OG studio not being involved may have caused their apprehensions. Only took 37374728 years for demons souls, so this should be next.
Lightbox made Starhawk, Incognito made Warhawk.

The game was fantastic but must have had some serious politics going on in the backend as a number of staff left before Warhawk even released, including davidjaffe davidjaffe

Shame, it is the best multiplayer I have ever played.

//DEVIL//

So i don't know what to say. I love Warhawk more then the next guy, but Sony not doing a sequel or not continuing it has nothing to do with hating fans and more to do with logic and business.

They always put out new IP, try it out and if nothing happens, they move on. That is business. They have no ode to keep making failures. If its not working out, they move on.

To pretend that they don't do this or that anymore is just silly and I think you haven't really thought about this and more so triggered about something else. For example, you state "Don’t be short sighted. Games like twisted metal. IOC, Sotc. Infamous, kinitica, Warhawk and plenty of other IPs are what gave the PlayStation a unique style of different games for everyone to enjoy.

what do we have now ? Couple of marvel games and uncharted or last of us ?"

So..no, we don't just ONLY have Marvel games, Uncharted or The Last Of Us, for fuck sakes...you ignored WE GOT InFAMOUS SECOND SON! lol You even ignored that we got a remake of SoTC and we got The Last Guardian. You are literally asking for games that already got Sequels on PS4 and remakes lol

Sooooo not sure what to say.

We got Dreams, Resogun, Sound Shapes, Knack, The Playroom, Driveclub, Tearaway, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, Drawn To Death, Ghost Of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. They put out many new IP, they tried many new things...VR.

I'm sorry but to really try to force this shit like they only do Marvel, Uncharted, The Last Of Us sounds like a forced argument to force a narrative. I don't see any evidence of this.

So not getting another MAG or Warhawk isn't that shocking. If a game doesn't do well, they don't return with sequels or reboots etc, it also likely has to do with titles like PubG, Call Of Duty, Fortnite, Battelfield etc already fill that void in the cataloge, they literally move some of the most units with those games anyway, as to my understanding, the majority of COD sales are from Playstation.

So they have a logical reason why they might not put out Warhawk, on top of low sales, on top of already doing lots of new IP that move more units.

So.....I don't see anything about them not wanting to take risk, or hating MP games or the community etc

As much as I love the IP, I just don't see much being done with it. It would be nice if it was rebooted, but it would take a lot of work to bring it up to todays standards. With so many MP titles by 3rd party already doing wild sales, i just don't see that Sony feels they NEED a Warhawk and imho...they are correct.

GG could do a Warhawk reboot, swap 3rd person and first person on the fly, have a VR mode for the new VR headset coming out, throw in a classic BR mode for the newbies lol Could work, but I see why Sony moved on from those types of games, a massive market already exist where they already move the most units in it on PS anyway. As to my understanding, most people who play Fortnite and Call Of Duty, do so on PS systems. Sony likely doesn't see what they are gaining from a market they already have the majority in. So who knows, maybe that new team they have thats making some new FPS is a MP focused thing and they want to leave room open to re-enter that market.

edit.

So who knows, maybe this means that door is still open for MP titles and a reboot to Warhawk isn't 100% out of the picture.
Maybe you are right . But all the games you mentioned were pretty much early life of the PlayStation 4. Aside from returnal ( which is actually a good new IP), nothing Sony has announced that is new and developed by Sony ( not including third party deals )

the current Sony isn’t taking risks. Unlike MS where they pretty much say “ go wild “ .

again, I love the PlayStation brand but to me, PlayStation isn’t really a PlayStation without games I grew up with . And press x to climb a tree games like uncharted isn’t what I have in mind.

EDMIX

Maybe you are right . But all the games you mentioned were pretty much early life of the PlayStation 4. Aside from returnal ( which is actually a good new IP), nothing Sony has announced that is new and developed by Sony ( not including third party deals )

the current Sony isn’t taking risks. Unlike MS where they pretty much say “ go wild “ .

again, I love the PlayStation brand but to me, PlayStation isn’t really a PlayStation without games I grew up with . And press x to climb a tree games like uncharted isn’t what I have in mind.

My god, Ghost Of Tsushima is a new IP...released last year, for PS4.

Just stop man.

To say Sony is not taking risk, 1 year after putting out a new IP that moved millions of units and won many GOTY awards and is admitted by you of being your favorite game is the finest shit.

Sony is not doing risky shit? The company that announced they have a new VR device ready for PS5?

ok pal.

Good luck with that weird ass argument lol

but no risk at all, just VR....

yup, no investment in anything new or "risky" going on here

nothing Sony has announced that is new and developed by Sony

Nothing at all? Zero new IP, zero studios and zero new devices?

Sure my guy. This is where we put you on that ignore list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom