• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Land on DS? Nintendo Wants YOUR Opinion

jesusraz

I posted up an interview with Nintendo's Takahiro Harada and Nobuo Matsumiya yesterday related to Wario Land: The Shake Dimension on Wii. At the very end there is quite an interesting snippet:

Cubed3.com's Adam Riley: Whilst still a good game, many long term fans will agree that Wario: Master of Disguise was just not the Wario Land game they were looking for. With this Wii version completed now, can gamers expect to see the money-loving fiend again in 'Wario Land DS'?

Nintendo: "Wario Land DS" - oh I just want to develop it! Maybe, if many of your readers' opinions are gathered and sent to us, it might be an idea that will be realised in the not too distant future. Everyone, do you want to play "Wario Land DS"?
Would you all like to see a true Wario Land 5 on DS, and if so what would you want to see from such a project?

The full interview is here and the official poll is here.

bumpkin

I just started playing Shake It and the game is an absolute blast. It's old school platforming at its finest. I'm all for a new DS installment with a similar gameplay style; either that or a sequel to Shake It on the Wii.

iddqd

nintendo will look at a fanboy board and invest money because of it?
shit, lets do polls for metroid and zelda here as well!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Of course I do! What kinda question is that Nintendo

Love the poll options btw :lol

Gazunta

YES FUCKING YES DO IT NOW AAAAAGH

I was writing my Christmas want list today and I realised there was no new Wario Land game and now Christmas is RUINED.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gazunta said:
I was writing my Christmas want list today and I realised there was no new Wario Land game and now Christmas is RUINED.

Wait, did the magical land of Australia get Warioland yet?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ehhh, I suppose I'd want Wario Land on DS, but I'd also be plenty happy with new IPs or sequels to other IPs. I'm always wary about fan-driven development because it really hurts the ability of a company to come up with out-of-left-field surprise gems.

I don't think anyone would have asked for Ouendan or Metroid Prime Pinball or Rhythm Tengoku or Magnetica, but they're all neat games/franchises and I'm happy Nintendo came up with each of them.

I'd love a few of the Nintendo franchises that haven't made it to the DS to get a shot more than I'd like a second Wario game (even if the first is a dude). 1080 would be great--SBKDS is the only competition and that was a low-print run launch game. Detective Club, obviously, would work very well on DS. F-Zero. Golden Sun. Kid Icarus. Kururin. Mario Paint (although it looks like we're getting something similar in the form of the new WarioWare). Mario sports titles. 2d Metroid. Mother (although Itoi said he's not planning to do one). Pikmin (this might be a little tough technically, although D3 did a DS version of their PS2 Pikmin clone). Pilotwings. Smash Bros--great choices for the DS, all.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Metal Gear?! said:
Wasn't Master of Disguise pretty awful?

Master of Disguise is a puzzle game disguised as a platformer, much like:

* Kirby's Air Ride is a snowboarding game disguised as a racer.
* Professor Layton is a interactive book of puzzles disguised as an adventure game.
* Some other example here that is escaping me at the moment.

(Oh, yeah, it's awful, too.)

I only want it if it is developed internally, Wario Land Shake It sucked balls. If it is developed by IS/SPD1 like Wario Land 1-4 then OH GOD YES I WANT IT BADLY!!!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nuclear Muffin said:
I only want it if it is developed internally, Wario Land Shake It sucked balls.

RvYSrwp.gif

I want Mother 3 in the US.

:D

PS : Nintendo if you read me, even if there is an amateur translation, I'd still buy an official translation, especially if it's done in French :p

RockmanWhore said:
I want Mother 3 in the US.

:D

PS : Nintendo if you read me, even if there is an amateur translation, I'd still buy an official translation

This. I agree with it immensely.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nuclear Muffin said:
I only want it if it is developed internally, Wario Land Shake It sucked balls. If it is developed by IS/SPD1 like Wario Land 1-4 then OH GOD YES I WANT IT BADLY!!!
I wouldn't say Shake It sucked, but it certainly lacked a certain soul the rest of the series had. Needs that WarioWare Team wackiness back.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
[Nintex] said:
A Wario Land DS is fine with me, but I want a new 2D Metroid first!

True, there are many games Nintendo should do before this.

But if you do this Nintendo, remember how great WL 2 was... please.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked Shake but give Wario a rest for now.

Zerodoppler said:
Poll needs a "No, make a 2d Metroid instead." option.
This or a new IP... I can't believe the DS will go its entire life without a 2D Metroid.

[Nintex]

Alaluef said:
I liked Shake but give Wario a rest for now.

This or a new IP... I can't believe the DS will go its entire life without a 2D Metroid.
And I can't believe both the Wii and DS will go their entire life without an F-Zero

Yes Boss!

[Nintex] said:
And I can't believe both the Wii and DS will go their entire life without an F-Zero

To be fair, the Amusement Vision game is gonna be pretty hard to top and the GBA games weren't exactly setting the world on fire. Personally I'd like a break till the next cycle.

Bring me some Pilotwings, that is needed.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Yes Boss! said:
To be fair, the Amusement Vision game is gonna be pretty hard to top and the GBA games weren't exactly setting the world on fire. Personally I'd like a break till the next cycle.

Meh, just make a port of F-Zero X with the track editor; still, Trackmania DS is coming.

KevinCow

Banned
Of course. What the hell kind of question is that? I don't even care if they reuse the Wario Land 4 engine and sprites. That game still looks great.

And include Waluigi dammit.

Hive

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Meh, just make a port of F-Zero X with the track editor; still, Trackmania DS is coming.

You could just have Trackmania on the DS and I wouldn't need another racer ever!

Although I still love playing Mario Kart 4-player~ The best is playing battle mode on top of a DS Phat.

Give me the real Wario Land 5 (although Nintendo doesn't want to use numbers anymore so maybe Shake It was that) and don't farm it out.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Hmmm, I don't think any of the WL were developed by Intelligent Systems?

ace harding: private eye said:
They're definitely up there. Wario Land for Virtual Boy is surprisingly the best one.

Only one I haven't played in the series due to not owning a VB.
Is there a good VB emulator with gamepad support? Can't play with the keyboard (if it's not ok to ask this here, just ignore)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If it is developed by IS/SPD1 like Wario Land 1-4 then OH GOD YES I WANT IT BADLY!!!

Yeah like already mentioned Intelligent Systems has nothing to do with Wario Land. R&D1 (now SPD1) developed Wario Land 1-4 and Wario land VB.

Takahiro Harada has programmed a few Metroid and Wario Land games. Harada also programmed the famous Rhythm Tengoku series.

To answer the question: Yes, I want Wario Land 5! Preferably from R&D1's remnants... though Shake sounds mostly good, low difficulty aside (though the first Wario Land game really wasn't very hard either, it was just amazingly fun), that team could perhaps do a good job as well, especially if they go back and use WL:SML3 and VBWL as their model.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Give me the real Wario Land 5 (although Nintendo doesn't want to use numbers anymore so maybe Shake It was that) and don't farm it out.

Hmmm, I don't think any of the WL were developed by Intelligent Systems?

Only one I haven't played in the series due to not owning a VB.
Is there a good VB emulator with gamepad support? Can't play with the keyboard (if it's not ok to ask this here, just ignore)

There are emulators, but they have no sound, limited compatibility (though Wario Land does work) and cannot emulate the system's 3d positional features which are its most interesting, and most unique, feature. Don't bother, emulation just cannot properly represent the games (and yes, I think the 3d effect is cool). Nothing can except for a Virtual Boy...

I got a Virtual Boy earlier this year with VB Wario Land
, it was absolutely worth it. Amazing, amazing game! I don't think it's my favorite Wario Land game (the first one is still my favorite), but it is definitely my second favorite. It's the only other Wario Land game that plays like the original one, and that's a very, very good thing... if it was longer (it takes under five hours to finish) it might even have been the best game in the series, in fact. The way that the levels are all tied together is interesting, treasure hunting is as fun as ever, classic Wario Land gameplay returns but with the cool new two-layer twist... outstanding game.

But yes, even so, I do like the first game best. It's just so much longer than VBWL, while being about the same in overall quality, gameplay-wise... when two games are about equally great but one has a lot more game to it, I'll go with the longer one, I think.

Going from VBWL to WL2 or 3 really shows how huge a step down the GBC was compared to the Virtual Boy, power-wise... but their main problems are the really annoying no-die system, not graphics (which are good, for the system). I did like WL2, but it was almost much annoying frustration as it was fun, unlike the first two.

Teknoman

Yes please. More Wario Land. Shake it was just great. Awesome "saturn era" esque soundtrack, amazing graphics, and fun gameplay. Plus Wario is actually a cool character.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wario and the ds are both shit. here's the thing we need: new smb2 for wii with sprites by production ig

...or as long as i'm asking for things i can't have, do it in hd on ps360

edit: or wait i've changed my mind: yoshi's island 2 for ps360 with hd sprites by production ig and game design by ead and for its launch party they should fill artoon's offices with fireworks and unsold copies of wii music and blow the whole thing up

Top Bottom