• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Land: Shake It! Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ThreadLogo01.png

Information01.png
Names:
Wario Land: Shake It! (NA)
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (PAL)
Wario Land: Shake (JP)
Wario Land 5 (Fans)​
Developer:
Good-Feel, Co. Ltd.​
Publisher:
Nintendo​
Platform:
Wii​
Release Dates:
July 24, 2008 (JP)
September 22, 2008 (NA)
September 25, 2008 (AUS)
September 26, 2008 (EU)​
Price:
$30 @ Best Buy (Feb 8 through 14)!!!
$49.99​
Features:
Two-dimensional platforming
Gorgeous visuals courtesy of Production I.G. (Ghost in the Shell, FLCL)
Huge "old-school" feel in the controls and design​
Websites: Boxarts:
WarioLandShake-Boxart02.png
WarioLandShake-Boxart03.png
WarioLandShake-Boxart04.png

(1. North American, 2. European + Australia, 3. Japanese)​

Gameplay01.png
Controls:
The super-tuned controls of Wario Land: Shake It are perhaps the biggest thing you notice when you have stopped drooling over the art and actually start playing. You would think with so many frames of animation, there would be some lag between the controls and action on-screen, but this is not the case with this game. Wario is controlled exactly like in his GameBoy outings, and the elbow-charge still is incredibly satisfying in Shake It.​
Levels:
Not counting the ten or so hidden bonus levels, there are five continents each with approximately four stages and a boss battle. In addition, each level has three treasures for you to find that unlock bonus media such as songs.​
Missions:
Missions are basically Shake It's version of Xbox Live Achievements, requiring you to complete certain tasks before earning them. Completing the missions yields a gold star for that level on the stage select screen, as well as more unlockables.​
Items:
Shake It boasts a quaint pirate ship shop run by none other than Captain Syrup. It sells new maps, which are unlocked to start with but steadily increase in price, heart containers (which are equivalent to the Zelda series' heart containers), plus the opening and closing movies.​
Secrets:
The game also features a variety of secret levels, which is where the game's true fun lies. Each continent has approximately two secret levels, and while you can find them on your own, it would be difficult. Beating the game once allows you to see more easily how to unlock these levels.​

Characters01.png
Wario:
The titular anti-hero of the Wario Land series of games, which has its roots in the Super Mario Land Series, Wario is back for his seventh platforming adventure. After being sent a mysterious package from Captain Syrup that turns out to be the Ancient Globe, which holds the Shake Dimension, Wario is about to split it open with a sledgehammer when Merfle emerges. Merfle tells Wario the sad tale of his world, before offhandedly mentioning the Bottomless Coin Sack, which sets him off an unstoppable warpath for riches.​
Captain Syrup:
The antagonist of Wario Land 1 and 2, Captain Syrup is back this time to aid Wario in his quest for treasure, but obviously, she has her own reasons for giving Wario the Ancient Globe to access the Shake Dimension and Yuretopia.​
The Shake King:
The king of a band of pirates, the Shake King disturbs Yuretopia's peace by stealing the Bottomless Coin Sack and imprisoning Queen Merelda and many of her followers, locking them in each of the world's stages.​
Merfle:
Merfle is one Queen Merelda's most trusted friends, and manages to escape the clutches of the Shake King. After finding Wario and pleading with him to help out his people, it is only by informing him of the Bottomless Coin Sack that he becomes interest and they both enter the Shake Dimension.​
Queen Merelda:
The lovely queen of Yuretopia, she is unfortunately captured by the Shake King along with her followers. Saria's theme can be heard for a moment when she appears in the opening movie.​

Media01.png
Screens:

* shots 7 through 14 are slightly blurrier​
Videos:

(1. E3 2008 Trailer, 2. Hand-drawn 2D Platforming Action, 3. Run for it, Wario!)​

Reviews01.png
Magazines:
4 / 5 (GamePro)
8 / 10 (NRevolution)
8 / 10 (Nintendo Power)
31 / 40 (Famitsu)
76.67 / 100 (Electronic Gaming Monthly)​
Websites:
C+ (1up)
4 / 5 (X-Play)
4 / 5 (GameSpy)
3.9 / 5 (Cheat Code Central)
8.3 / 10 (IGN AU)
7.5 / 10 (GameSpot)
8.4 / 10 (IGN | Video Review)​
Aggregate:
78% (MetaCritic)
78% (GameRankings)​

Bebpo

Banned
Is the trick to the year of the Wii that all the already released games are counted again as new release titles?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bebpo said:
Is the trick to the year of the Wii that all the already released games are counted again as new release titles?

Hopefully. Hopefully this time around it gets more advertising and sales as well.

There may be trouble ahead
But while there's music and moonlight and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill and while we still have the chance

Soon we'll be without the moon, humming a different tune and then
There may be teardrops to shed
So while there's moonlight and music and love and romance

While I definitely admired the hand-drawn sprites I found everything else about the game to be significantly subpar. I'm glad that Nintendo released a fully 2D game on a console but just wish that it would have been better. My most disappointing game of last year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Flying_Phoenix said:
While I definitely admired the hand-drawn sprites I found everything else about the game to be significantly subpar. I'm glad that Nintendo released a fully 2D game on a console but just wish that it would have been better. My most disappointing game of last year.

I really enjoyed the platforming (obviously), it just sent me back to the GB/A games that I loved but with a few interesting additions. I liked the mission system and even the race-back-to-finish mechanic.

This game gave me a much, much stronger "retro" vibe than even MM9 did.

what the

i

huh

at first i thought this was some ancient yet strangely overlooked thread that you had bumped in sadness but

then i looked to see if it was only now coming out in australia or europe or something but

what

Andrex said:
I really enjoyed the platforming (obviously), it just sent me back to the GB/A games that I loved but with a few interesting additions. I liked the mission system and even the race-back-to-finish mechanic.

This game gave me a much, much stronger "retro" vibe than even MM9 did.

I just found the game to be lackluster with it's ridiculously tedious level design. It didn't feel old-school, modern school, or future school. Just mediocre to me. I'm sorry that I sound so pessimistic but I just really didn't enjoy the game. I guess I should stop posting in this thread because it sounds like I'm trolling. I'm sorry Gaf. :(

Guybrush Threepwood said:
You are NEVER safe from ridiculous official threads.

does this mean we can make another official thread for twilight princess and mario galaxy

quick, to the 100-post OP machine

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jonnyram said:
Probably because it came out last year.

Eh? I played both at around the same time when they came out.

EmCeeGramr said:
does this mean we can make another official thread for twilight princess and mario galaxy

Shake It didn't have an official thread, though. And as I replayed the missions it just ticked me off more and more.

This game deserves better, damn it.

Jonnyram

EmCeeGramr said:

Pretty much.
If this is allowed, I dread to think what we're gonna see in the coming weeks.

cakeman19

Banned
At first I read that thread title as "Wario Land Shake it off" and I was like "huh"?

I still need to get this game. I probably will at some point.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jonnyram said:
Pretty much.

Seriously guys, I bet it's been less than 22 weeks since it came out in the West. :lol Cool your jets.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
EmCeeGramr said:

It's the "Worst Official Thread Show!" Featuring:

Gears of War 2
BruceLeeRoy's Threads
and now... Wario Land Shake It!

Who will win! Commentators?

Commentator A: "Well Joe, BruceLeeRoy is the clear front runner here with not 1, not 2 but 3 multi-post official threads. However I am worried about his performance since his post/thread count has dropped significantly as the contest has raged on"

Commentator B: "Yeah I wouldn't count the Xbox fans out my friend. True they only have 1 small multi-post image fest but they are a dedicated bunch. By the time Gears of War III comes out I'm sure they will be regularly dishing out 100+ post official threads"

Commentator C: "Both of you guys are focusing too much on quantity. Sometimes it takes true style to win the race and that is what Andrex has shown us here. It takes balls to make an official thread 5 months after a game has come out"​

Well there you have it folks! Stay tune next time for the "Worst Official Thread Show!"

Nabs

Flying_Phoenix said:

same here

Linkup

Still haven't played it yet, but I'm guessing half the people in this thread haven't either

also

It's the "Most Recent Annoying Poster Show" Featuring:

grandjedi6!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Andrex said:
Seriously guys, I bet it's been less than 22 weeks since it came out in the West. :lol Cool your jets.
Com'n Andrex. Why didn't you just make a LTTP thread? This is the sort of thing they are for.

Linkup said:
Still haven't played it yet, but I'm guessing half the people in this thread haven't either

also

It's the "Most Recent Annoying Poster Show" Featuring:

grandjedi6!

oooo, I hope I win :)

Picked this game up at Best Buy for $29.99 on Sunday! It's a steal at that price, can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I'm loving it so far, yay for 2D platformers!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
Com'n Andrex. Why didn't you just make a LTTP thread? This is the sort of thing they are for.

But I wasn't late to the party, I was there the first week. :(

Having no place to hold the actual party was too much of a downer.

grandjedi6 said:
oooo, I hope I win :)

Surprised I'm not nominated. :p

kitchenmotors said:
Picked this game up at Best Buy for $29.99 on Sunday! It's a steal at that price, can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I'm loving it so far, yay for 2D platformers!

*high five*

See this person, people? Part of the solution. :D

Jonnyram

Andrex said:
But I wasn't late to the party, I was there the first week. :(

Having no place to hold the actual party was too much of a downer.
Well so far it's like a party with one drunk dude dancing naked in the middle of the room and loads of passers-by popping in to laugh at him.

kitchenmotors said:

And this is why there's an official thread that begins with today's date. All of us cheapasses have finally gotten around to buying the game. :lol

Yes, it's awesome. Especially at that price. Go get it, GAF!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DaBargainHunta said:
And this is why there's an official thread that begins with today's date. All of us cheapasses have finally gotten around to buying the game. :lol

Yes, it's awesome. Especially at that price. Go get it, GAF!

It's $30 retail? I should put that in the OP.

pilonv1

Jonnyram said:
Pretty much.

Wait till you see the Offical Thread for ELITE I'm working on, it is going to blow your mind.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Cool thread, but I gotta say at first I was all like "When the fuck did the sequel get announced?"

stuminus3

Banned
I was sad to see so few posts on the official thread of one of my favorite games from last year. Then I noticed it was only made yesterday. :lol

-Eddman-

Kind of short and empty worlds but the platforming was excellent. Graphics and characters were very cool. A very solid 8/10 in my opinion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Adding the $30 deal thing to the OP. Become part of the solution people!

GDGF said:
Cool thread, but I gotta say at first I was all like "When the fuck did the sequel get announced?"

Don't play with my heart. :(

I expect Wario Land 6 on DS3 in ten years.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Well it was a valiant effort Andrex but I don't think GAF is buying it. :lol

Unfortunately there's a right way and a wrong way to play this game and most of GAF chose the wrong way. I don't blame the players, though, I blame the developers. It's a major design flaw with the game that it doesn't make you complete the missions to advance.

If you force yourself to complete all (or at least most) of the missions and collect all the treasures then the game is absolutely fantastic. It took me over 30 hours to get 100% completion and it was quite challenging to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom