• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARIO LAND: THE SHAKE DIMENSION

Anyone still want to compare this to Wario Land 4? Thought not.

Baconbitz said:
Nintendo is making a big mistake by letting this be retail

Nonsense. They'd be making a bigger mistake slicing it down to fit WiiWare.

Baryn

Banned
This should probably have been a DS title.

It's not like the hand-drawn art will really pop at 480p :/

In any case, I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Baryn said:

Serious? It'll look really good 480p. Much better than on the DS. Console 2D games ftmfw!

Link Man

Banned
Baryn said:

Wat.

This is high above anything the DS can do.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Everything about this looks like a throwback to Warioland and/or Warioland 2. I'm actually rather astounded.

Twig

Banned
sevenchaos said:
Serious? It'll look really good 480p. Much better than on the DS. Console 2D games ftmfw!
It's okay. He clearly hasn't played Odin Sphere or GrimGrimoire.

Or, hell, any number of 2D fighting games.

[Nintex]

sevenchaos said:
Super Paper Mario also looked amazing and this game isn't ruined by sub-par 3D gameplay!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm amazed this was given the green light.

Maybe its the first of many to come...

In the background neon, on the right, is that Booster from Super Mario RPG? I doubt it, but it does resemble him.

booster.gif

Edit: I know it's not now, I saw some of the original pictures that showed the character it's supposed to be.

botticus

Baryn said:

This is why we don't get 2D console games anymore.

What the hell? It doesn't use the entire screen in `16:9 mode!

Come on Nintendo, don't give me those stupid side-bars like those XBLA remakes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CassSept said:
Damn, do want. I just hope it will be playable with freeloader (i haven't updated wii yet, thank god)

I believe its coming to PAL regions like 3 days earlier.

Designing 2D games around one definitive play area can be a Good Idea. Shunting off some sort of iconery to the sides is a decent compromise, though I kinda don't mind putting the TV in 4:3 mode for 4:3 games, for best pixel density over the part that's actually being used.

Dascu

schuelma said:
I believe its coming to PAL regions like 3 days earlier.
He might want to import the Japanese version, which is releasing next month already. It's not as if the Japanese text would hinder gameplay in any way.

Jetku

I may import this one from japan to give me something to do mid summer. Also, I wouldn't want to have to share time with Kirby DS

Ranger X

This game better be good. It better be good.

I hope it sells and could show that "side scrolling" or "2D" isn't "the old technology" but only a style, an artistic approach.

One day this industry will be mature enough that we will see 2D work resurface.

dk_

Buttonbasher said:
look at the screens
Well, I thought these sidebars are just temporarily sliding in, for instance when you collect coins or something.

Ok, this is BULLSHIT.

Twig

Banned
dk_ said:
Well, I thought these sidebars are just temporarily sliding in, for instance when you collect coins or something.

Ok, this is BULLSHIT.
Why?

Why does it matter?

If the game's fun to play... seriously? Why the fuck does it matter?

schuelma said:
I'm amazed this was given the green light.

Maybe its the first of many to come...

I don't see why it's amazing, exactly.
Nintendo saw what a failure a 3D version of this was, and decided to give fans what they wanted.
2D glory.

Twig

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nintendo saw what a failure a 3D version of this was, and decided to give fans what they wanted.
2D glory.
Yeah, but Nintendo didn't make Wario World and isn't making this. Just publishing.

NeonZ

AceBandage said:
2D glory.

Wario World wasn't really a 3d version of Warioland. It was an action game with barely any platforming, closer to old 2d "beat them up"s like Final Fight than any Wario game.

TheOneGuy said:
Why?

Why does it matter?

If the game's fun to play... seriously? Why the fuck does it matter?
My only concern is burn-in for plasma TV owners like myself. I don't see any reason why all that stuff needs to be on-screen anyways. It seems a little unnecessary and cluttered. Otherwise the game looks brilliant and I can see some impressive level distortion effects.

Twig

Banned
evilromero said:
My only concern is burn-in for plasma TV owners like myself.
Ah, yeah, that's fair.
I don't see any reason why all that stuff needs to be on-screen anyways. It seems a little unnecessary and cluttered. Otherwise the game looks brilliant and I can see some impressive level distortion effects.
Well it's not going to be on-screen on the 4:3 mode, I imagine.

If I had to guess, they're sticking with a clearly defined playfield to make the gameplay identical for everyone and with a 4:3 aspect ratio in mind, rather than two different aspect ratios.

Jacobi

Banned
evilromero said:
My only concern is burn-in for plasma TV owners like myself. I don't see any reason why all that stuff needs to be on-screen anyways. It seems a little unnecessary and cluttered. Otherwise the game looks brilliant and I can see some impressive level distortion effects.
Hasn't the burn-in problem resolved? Afaik you don't ahve to be afraid of it after like 200 hours of use

Top Bottom