• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare Twisted is the best WarioWare game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
XGF5tPb.png

EjWCGyE.png

ohivhZX.png

V7wt1h7.png

I recently dug out my copy of WarioWare Twisted (along with my GameBoy Micro), which I probably haven't played for five years. Holy crap, that game is absolutely packed with content. Not only are there over 200 microgames (223 according to Giant Bomb), but then there are 140 unlockables.

These include toys, figurines, instruments, and even soundtrack records (which you can "scratch" by twisting the GameBoy). Just a huge amount of content to unlock, and unlike most game unlockables, these were actually super fun and interesting.

The only problem with this game is that, over the years, the gyroscopic sensor in the cartridge becomes less and less accurate. I have three physical copies of Twisted, and all three of the gyros have gone bad. After a few minutes of play, they'll get "stuck" twisting in one direction. It's a huge bummer.

Today, I found out that an Android emulator (called My Boy) actually supports gyro motion for this game, so you can successfully emulate Twisted on any Android device with a gyroscope. The real cart also has a rumble pack built in, which (I think) can be emulated, but my Nexus 7 and Nvidia Shield don't have rumble, so I'm not sure if that actually works.

But man, I started playing this game from the beginning, and it's just so incredible. They really don't make games like this anymore, and that's a huge shame. All of the WarioWare (and stuff like Game & Wario) have fallen way short in terms of both content and gameplay, compared to Twisted. This game is an absolute mini-game masterpiece.

Bust out your GBA.

Rodaballo

Banned
Had to import one from ebay (PALeto aquí .__·)

Most fun you can have in a GBA .

HEck, plug it into a GBA Micro even. The game is bigger than the screen then :p

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'd say that Smooth Moves is the best, but Twisted is fine.

Out of the WarioWare games I've played, Touched! was without a doubt the most fun.

The original GBA game was a good start. Smooth Moves lost my interest after a while.

Shame I never got to play twisted.

This is still my favorite unlockable game.

Marjar

Banned
I always liked Touched the best. Twisted was alright, but some minigames were infuriating to me (that goddamn dancing one). Never really liked that gyro stuff.

noobasuar

Banned
I am sadden that I never got a chance to play it. Actually the only WarioWare I've played is this original which I loved a whole lot.

Hopefully they end up making a new one for the Wii U or 3DS.

theman5141

Neo Member
Game and Wario could have been a sublime, micro-game centered hybridization of the dual screen/touch functionality of Touched! paired with the gyroscopic elements of Twisted.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
WARIO DE MAAAAAAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
So good. I love this game.

I think Pyoro R was my favorite unlockable. Wish there was more variety instead of the level loop though, it gets tedious if you try to get a highscore.

PokéKong

The amount of content made every other WarioWare since feel so disappointing, the multitude of great little dumb toys and minigames to unlock were very satisfying, the presentation made Touched look so lazy and sloppy, the responsive controls proved motion could be a viable method before the Wii was even known to exist, and it has some of the best microgames in the series, including my favorite:

tumblr_mprcjf2pPn1ryurmdo1_250.gif

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
PokéKong;77233883 said:
The amount of content made every other WarioWare since feel so disappointing, the multitude of great little dumb toys and minigames to unlock were very satisfying, the presentation made Touched look so lazy and sloppy, the responsive controls proved motion could be a viable method before the Wii was even known to exist, and it has some of the best microgames in the series, including my favorite:
If I remember right, in an Iwata asks they say the inspiration for the Wii concept was Twisted.

Parallacs

Just a reminder to everyone:

The SP will make twisted upside-down. It will still work but it doesn't seem to be as responsive as the GBA.

Edit: I was wrong about the gyroscope containing mercury

Crub

Most of the extra were pointless toys without purposes.

The extras of the original on the other hand was as good as the game itself. It even included a full version of Dr. Mario, appropirately named Dr. Wario.

Edit:

The SP will make twisted upside-down. It will still work but it doesn't seem to be as responsive as the GBA.

Not true; GBA SP is even part of the boxart. It is true for Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble however.

Edit: I was wrong about the gyroscope containing mercury

I definitely remember an SP option. In any case I played it on my SP with zero problems.

Genius game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I seriously wish this was on the 3DS eShop, considering the system has a built-in gyro. Also, have a story related to this game.

I was 14 or 15 and got the game, played it for quite a few months. I was playing it in a car ride to a friend's house or something, so I left the game & GBA in the car's glove department when my dad dropped me off. I was picked up by a mom in her car & when I got home, I only saw my GBA on the counter. Dad had NO idea how he lost the game, despite it being with my GBA, which made me seriously depressed.

About 4 or 5 months later, I was helping him in the garden out in our backyard & out of all the things to find out there while getting the soil ready for planting, THE CARTRIDGE FOR THE GAME. I was completely speechless as to how the hell it got out there, but I cleaned out some of the dirt, stuck it in my GBA, and amazingly enough, IT STILL WORKED, GYRO AND ALL. Label was pretty much worn off, but I still can't believe it lasted out there in the yard for all those months.

GooeyHeat

I played Twisted interchangeably on an SP and a phat DS, both seemed to work fine.

It is the best WarioWare, in my opinion, with Smooth Moves and the original tied for second. I still have it somewhere, but I don't have anything to play it on. How much harder is it to find a backlit SP than a frontlit one?

Also, I hope we get a button-based sequel to WarioWare DIY. I don't keep it in the running for "best WarioWare" because it's kind of its own thing, but I love it so much. Hell, a 3DS sequel that could do buttons (and maybe even simple parallax 3D effects) would make me burst with happiness.

EDIT:
wario ware gamecube, bros, sorry
I loved Mega Party Game$ as well. This series needs to try multiplayer more often. (Actually, it just needs to come back. Screw you, Game & Wario.)

JoeFu

Banned
I never got to play this game... Saw it at Toys R Us one day for 5 bucks and didn't pick it up. Regret it big time. Hopefully Nintendo manages to get this on the Wii U VC.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Game and Wario could have been a sublime, micro-game centered hybridization of the dual screen/touch functionality of Touched! paired with the gyroscopic elements of Twisted.

Seriously. This makes me so sad. I remember being so stoked to try Game & Wario at PAX, and when I finally did and realized what it was (doesn't it have only like... 12 minigames?) I was heartbroken. The WarioWare team needs to go back to their roots.

Topic title is false. D.I.Y. is the best WarioWare game.

I could never really get into this. It always seemed like the games people made, while impressive, lacked any sort of real depth.

Man, I loved this series of games, I never actually played twisted.

Do it. Now.

Mzo

MEOWTROID

I can agree with the OP. The series peaked early and has just been ok ever since.

Now it's been sullied by shoehorning it into that Wii U atrocity.

popyea

Still can't beat this on the ultra hard difficulty...it unlocks the last prize thing for me too............

I remember spending so many hours trying to beat it. And then the last prize was a total slap in the face (in a cool way I'll admit).
It was a Wario Ware Twisted cartridge that essentially just reboots the game, as if you were playing the game inside the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To OP and anyone else who might be trying this out on Android using My Boy! emulator, let me recommend something.

Go into video options and disable Linear Filtering. It gives the visuals a really blurry blown up look. By using the regular method the game looks much, much better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Funny, I've heard that before, yet it was the only one I didn't like. Go figure.

I think I like Touched the best...maybe.
Touched was.....okay, but I couldn't shake the fact it felt like a tech demo for the DS, probably due to how close it came out near release. At least some of the gifts you unlocked were okay.

I still need to play the Wii one. I passed on D.I.Y because creation-based games aren't my thing.

gryz

Banned
Seriously. This makes me so sad. I remember being so stoked to try Game & Wario at PAX, and when I finally did and realized what it was (doesn't it have only like... 12 minigames?) I was heartbroken. The WarioWare team needs to go back to their roots.

game and wario is awesome.

you realize one of those 12 minigames is basically a traditional warioware game right?

Dacvak

game and wario is awesome.

you realize one of those 12 minigames is basically a traditional warioware game right?

Does it have new games? I haven't played that one.

Top Bottom