• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. wins lawsuit against screenwriter of Gravity... Kind of messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2008, Warner Bros acquired New Line Productions. The takeover was rumored to be brutal, with numerous New Line employees losing their jobs overnight.

Sometime around 2008 – 2009, Alfonso Cuaron wrote his original screenplay “Gravity” about a female astronaut who is the sole survivor after her colleagues are killed by satellite debris destroying their spacecraft. She is left adrift in her space suit, and is later stranded aboard the International Space Station. I noted the similarities, but I had no evidence of any connection between Cuaron and my project. Without proof, I could not publicly accuse him of theft, so when asked about the similarities by fans and reporters, I told them it could be coincidental.

In February 2014, my literary agent was informed of Cuaron’s attachment to my project back in 2000. Now the similarities between my book and Cuaron’s movie could no longer be dismissed as coincidence. I sought legal help, and we filed a Breach of Contract complaint that April. Please note: this is not a case of copyright infringement. Warner Bros., through its ownership of New Line, also controls the film rights to my book. They had every right to make the movie — but they claim they have no obligation to honor my contract with New Line.
http://www.tessgerritsen.com/gravity-lawsuit-affects-every-writer-sells-hollywood/

So let's go over this because in my opinion this lady deserves the money that she's entitled to.
Put aside the opinions of the story not being that strong in the first place, a contract is a contract and if one company inherits another they should also take honor all of their current deals with screenwriters and such.

This doesn't change the fact that Gravity is one of the best movies I've seen in recent years.
It's emotionally captivating and atmospherically claustrophobic.
But c'mon WB. What Would Bugs Do?

Yesterday, the court granted Warner Bros’s motion to dismiss my lawsuit against them. While Warner Bros crows victory, the judge has in fact left the door open for me to pursue my claim, allowing my legal team twenty days to revise our complaint and address the single issue of concern: the corporate relationship between Warner Bros. and New Line Productions.

worth pointing out that it was already thrown out once, and the new attempt will hinge on that last line.

that said: whoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom