• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning: Don't buy Binding of Isaac Rebirth on 3DS

beril

It's Nicalis. Dodging responsibility is what they do.

"The 1 year+ delay in EU is because of ratings and cert!"
"The patch isn't out in EU because SCEE wanted to delay it until after new years even though SCEA region got it in December" (We never got the patch btw, they skipped right to the one after that)

the EU rating excuse is another thing I don't really get. it's a couple of weeks and a couple of thousands euro to get all the ratings. If you're desperate you can easily skip Germany and/or Australia and the cost will be negligible, plus without USK and OFCL it'll be a lot faster. Admittedly on the 3DS eShop the EU market is a lot smaller than the US market, but still, if you don't think you'll be able to earn back 250 euro for a PEGI rating I'm not sure what you're doing. Yet we still see lots of respectable developers skip out on a EU release or delay it for many months. I just don't get it.

ChrisDM

That's very disappointing to hear considering my friend was quite excited for this and buys the game on any platform it comes out for to 100%. I have faith that it will be fixed though.

the EU rating excuse is another thing I don't really get. it's a couple of weeks and a couple of thousands euro to get all the ratings. If you're desperate you can easily skip Germany and/or Australia and the cost will be negligible, plus without USK and OFCL it'll be a lot faster. Admittedly on the 3DS eShop the EU market is a lot smaller than the US market, but still, if you don't think you'll be able to earn back 250 euro for a PEGI rating I'm not sure what you're doing. Yet we still see lots of respectable developers skip out on a EU release or delay it for many months. I just don't get it.
Please don't skip Germany ;_;. We don't like the USK either

And yeah, whenever (US) publishers justify delays with EU ratings and extra cert I present Gunman Clive (2 at least, not sure about 1) as an example of how to do it. If a small dev like you can do it I'm sure someone like XSEED (digital titles of course) or Nicalis can do it as well.

It's very frustrating. I also think a simultaneous release is very important because of word of mouth and hype and with a delay you pretty much ruin your chances at greater success.

Jito

Banned
I was thinking of double dipping and getting a portable version of the game, then remembered I'd need the new new new new 3DS just to play this one game. What a joke Nintendo. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out seeing as it doesn't work.

Novocaine

It's Nicalis. Dodging responsibility is what they do.

"The 1 year+ delay in EU is because of ratings and cert!"
"The patch isn't out in EU because SCEE wanted to delay it until after new years even though SCEA region got it in December" (We never got the patch btw, they skipped right to the one after that)

1001 Spikes never even got released in EU on PS4/PSV. It's almost like they don't want money.

Berordn

So it's having these problems on the new 3DS just to be clear?

The game was already out on PC, PS4 and Vita and had none of these issues. PC and PS4 are virtually flawless and run the game just fine. Vita is missing some graphical effects and prior to recent patches had a lot of hitches in gameplay, nowadays it runs alright though there's still situations which can cause FPS dips.

It recently came out on Xbox One, Wii U and new 3DS, and was never released on the original 3DS. No major issues have been reported for the console versions, the new 3DS version seems to be having a lot of issues including complete system lockups and certain gameplay elements just failing to work.

Jharp

I bought it and have had largely no problems outside the game hanging a few times and crashing, forcing a reset, once.

Some of the horror stories I've heard are pretty bad though, so yeah. Buyer beware. Hopefully it's all fixed soon, but as for now, I'm enjoying an hour or so of it every day. Glad to finally have a portable version of the game.

Robin64

Yeeeea....

MlWA771XUoIP1jbru_
MlWA771XA8UAGTTNcJ

beril

Please don't skip Germany ;_;. We don't like the USK either

And yeah, whenever (US) publishers justify delays with EU ratings and extra cert I present Gunman Clive (2 at least, not sure about 1) as an example of how to do it. If a small dev like you can do it I'm sure someone like XSEED (digital titles of course) or Nicalis can do it as well.

It's very frustrating. I also think a simultaneous release is very important because of word of mouth and hype and with a delay you pretty much ruin your chances at greater success.

don't worry I won't.
To be honest I don't really mind USK. It's expensive because they don't have a low budget/casual category but charges the same for every game (except ports and compilation releases), but they're kindof nice in that they don't really require any documentation or footage but just plays the game. The standardised forms that PEGI and ESRB use are pretty arbitrary and not always very representative of a games content. And USK is a lot less annoying to deal with than the Australian classification board; and they usually send me a christmas card.. which is kindof weird...

don't worry I won't.
To be honest I don't really mind USK. It's expensive because they don't have a low budget/casual category but charges the same for every game (except ports and compilation releases), but they're kindof nice in that they don't really require any documentation or footage but just plays the game. The standardised forms that PEGI and ESRB use are pretty arbitrary and not always very representative of a games content. And USK is a lot less annoying to deal with than the Australian classification board; and they usually send me a christmas card.. which is kindof weird...

That's cute. I hope the IARC rating method for digital games catches on soon so most/all of this will be a thing of the past.

DangerMan

Banned
How does that work? If you release a game for a console with fixed hardware everything is on your end.

I have a rare crash bug in Gunman Clive 2 that's a legitimate GPU hardware bug and an absolute pain to work around, and while I've admittedly still haven't fixed it I'd never dodge responsibility for it.

Great work on GunmanClive 2 man and its pretty sad that they release hardware with a GPU bug in 2015 that every developer has to work around.

As for the hard-reboot vs soft-reboot I would have called pressing power briefly then home a soft-reboot. After changing System Settings the system seems to actually fully turn itself off then back on.

Communication is my weak point.

beril

Great work on GunmanClive 2 man and its pretty sad that they release hardware with a GPU bug in 2015 that every developer has to work around.

As for the hard-reboot vs soft-reboot I would have called pressing power briefly then home a soft-reboot. After changing System Settings the system seems to actually fully turn itself off then back on.

Communication is my weak point.

I'm sure most hardware have some bugs in them. This specific issue is just a lot more serious and harder to work around with the highly customised rendering techniques used in Gunman Clive

DangerMan

Banned
I'm sure most hardware have some bugs in them. This specific issue is just a lot more serious and harder to work around with the highly customised rendering techniques used in Gunman Clive

Still unfortunate that the bug exists and that people are stuck working around it.

Overall I disagree with this thread's title and still feel that plenty of people will not encounter these issues before they patched.

I play the game on the bus to work very often and occasionally at home and have been very happy with it and have had no issues aside from acceptable framerate drops. Also the arguably false advertising on the eshop claiming it "Displays 3D Visuals".

backlot

Still unfortunate that the bug exists and that people are stuck working around it.

Overall I disagree with this thread's title and still feel that plenty of people will not encounter these issues before they patched.

I play the game on the bus to work very often and occasionally at home and have been very happy with it and have had no issues aside from acceptable framerate drops. Also the arguably false advertising on the eshop claiming it "Displays 3D Visuals".

Based on my experience I couldn't recommend this game to anyone. It is basically unplayable in its current state. I don't understand how you can make the judgement that most people won't encounter these issues. GameFAQs and Reddit both have threads full of people complaining about these issues. It's not just me.

DangerMan

Banned

Based on my experience I couldn't recommend this game to anyone. It is basically unplayable in its current state. I don't understand how you can make the judgement that most people won't encounter these issues. GameFAQs and Reddit both have threads full of people complaining about these issues. It's not just me.

Don't spin people's words man, and besides, I just played the game for an hour without issue. Made in to Mom in a standard run and lost to her sadly but switched to a challenge and played through half of it then saved and quit.

Edit: Maybe a communication issue again, to me "plenty" means enough and "most" means the majority.

backlot

Don't spin people's words man, and besides, I just played the game for an hour without issue. Made in to Mom in a standard run and lost to her sadly but switched to a challenge and played through half of it then saved and quit.

My bad for assuming you weren't recommending people spend $15 for a small chance of not getting a buggy mess.

Illucio

Banned
Isn't this game New 3DS exclusive... So why and how did you download with game to the 3DS?

(Unless you meant New 3DS then disregard my post.)

DangerMan

Banned
My bad for assuming you weren't recommending people spend $15 for a small chance of not getting a buggy mess.

I'm recommending people make the decision themselves, I'm happy with it and I'm sure plenty of others are.

I suspect the people who are happy with it don't make as much noise as the people who are unhappy so it distorts perspective on the issue.

I dunno..

Firehead

Alright, the game locked up the exact moment I killed that boss with Cain on hard.

I'm gonna have to take a break until the patch is out. I was down to half a soul heart and I had a really wonky build going. blah.

Isn't this game New 3DS exclusive... So why and how did you download with game to the 3DS?

(Unless you meant New 3DS then disregard my post.)

Clearly meant N3DS. :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I hope you never come to see the errata* of some "everyday hardware" that most people around, most likely yourself included, use on a daily basis ; )

* In electronics, a document containing all known bugs of a piece of hardware.

DangerMan

Banned
Yoo Edmund you reading this? Get Nicalis to fix your game even though I've still only had it crash once for me(before and after patch included), lots of others are having more crashes.

As much as it is good enough for me, you still need to fix it for the others. Just because it is "good enough" for an indie game port doesn't mean you shouldn't be bringing it in line with the other versions of the game in terms of stability.

It shouldn't take this long... Also the eshop still falsely advertises this as having 3D.

Sajjaja

Yoo Edmund you reading this? Get Nicalis to fix your game even though I've still only had it crash once for me(before and after patch included), lots of others are having more crashes.

As much as it is good enough for me, you still need to fix it for the others. Just because it is "good enough" for an indie game port doesn't mean you shouldn't be bringing it in line with the other versions of the game in terms of stability.

It shouldn't take this long... Also the eshop still falsely advertises this as having 3D.
You're better off tweeting at him

Shoebox

Such a shame-it's a joy to play with second screen. I'm guessing the Afterbirth DLC will never see the light of day on the 3DS...

DangerMan

Banned
Such a shame-it's a joy to play with second screen. I'm guessing the Afterbirth DLC will never see the light of day on the 3DS...

Has this ever been commented on? I would feel cheated by lack of option to get Afterbirth content on 3DS more than the crashes.

I'm too lazy to make a twitter to try and get answers so I'm going to hope someone here is in the loop.

backlot

Has this ever been commented on? I would feel cheated by lack of option to get Afterbirth content on 3DS more than the crashes.

I'm too lazy to make a twitter to try and get answers so I'm going to hope someone here is in the loop.

You'd rather that an unplayable game has theoretical access to more content than have a playable game? Weird priorities.

DangerMan

Banned
You'd rather that an unplayable game has theoretical access to more content than have a playable game? Weird priorities.

Dude, how is it unplayable? I have like 10 hours logged on Isaac 3DS with only one crash which happened taking my 3DS out of sleep mode.

Seems like you have weird priorities to me, you just straight up lied in your last post.

Akai__

All the talk about Afterbirth was for the Steam version, so far. It's because Steam actually lets you release your DLC with more freedom, if I understood Edmund correctly.

I'm not even sure if Rebirth is out on all platforms and in all regions yet? Maybe they are also holding back the DLC, because of that on other platforms?

backlot

Dude, how is it unplayable? I have like 10 hours logged on Isaac 3DS with only one crash which happened taking my 3DS out of sleep mode.

Seems like you have weird priorities to me, you just straight up lied in your last post.

Glad you're having a good time. It crashes for me every other floor more or less. But yeah, they should totally focus their efforts on DLC for the handful of people that can play the game without issues.

DangerMan

Banned
To both above posters, thanks for the reply/information.

I don't know if I angered the Pikmin living my 3DS by claiming someone was lying but I went to play Isaac 3DS and after beating the boss of the second floor the game crashed when I went to pick up the Green Needle reward (I believe that one is Steroids). I also had got the Bum Buddy earlier who flies around and picks up coins and stuff for me. I had 5 health (one half covered with the white heart that would have turned into a 6th health had I gone to the next floor) and two and a half armor.

This remains only my second crash with the game after a good amount of playing. Also might be worth noting neither of the crashes happened while doing a challenge. I've managed to complete a handful of challenges and normal difficulty runs without crashes so I don't know if any of this info is useful.

EDIT: Well my first crash happened after taking 3DS out of sleep mode and this crash happened in a run where I had opened the home menu and changed the brightness. It might be best for now to not use Sleep Mode in Isaac 3DS or open the Home Menu and return to the game. Again, no idea if these actually are part of the cause of the crashes.

EDIT 2: Rebooting my 3DS, opened the game again, chose continue, started at the start of second floor again, beat it again (was identical to my second floor I completed the time of crash), and got the needle without it crashing. While edit again if it crashes.

Peltz

It's such a shame. I think Nicalis really has its heart in the right place but just doesn't have the ability or experience to consistently execute bug-free releases.

I think it's a company that wants to be good and wants to appeal to a very core base, but is just struggling hard. I don't know why, but I kind of feel for them.

I'm not usually the type to "feel" for other publishers. But if you look at the type of games Nicalis tries to sell, you can tell that they are selecting such games with a passionate eye that they want to see succeed not only as publishers but possibly as fans too.

DangerMan

Banned
Made it to Mom
's Heart
in a Normal Run and got a game over. No crashes this time and I played it without using Sleep Mode or opening the Home Menu(until I quit the game).

drgambit

Banned
Still glad nicalis didn't touch La Mulana... one of the best games out there in the past few years without their shitty name on it.

Mega

Banned
Is this really still not fixed? It stopped me from playing the game entirely because I was always anxious it would freeze at any moment and I kept quitting/continuing every few rooms. Impossible to enjoy the game.

Top Bottom