• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning! Official VRR unsolvable problem in oled TVs!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Oled C9 with real 120hz panel don't have this issue, right ? The problem is CX panel, no ?
wtf you talking about lol.

CX has a "real" 120hz panel too lol. also it's nothing to do with the reduced bandwidth on the CX. HDMI 2.1 is specced to run at 48Gbit/s but the CX is capped to 40 which is enough for 4K 144Hz HDR10 content (requires 39.2) or 5K 60Hz (27.7) but of course the TV doesn't have a 5K 144Hz panel. To run the panel at max of 4K 120Hz HDR10 it only needs 32.3Gbit/s.

the issue with VRR is related to the gamma curve profile which adjusts based on displayed refresh rate. as the frame/refresh rate adjusts so does the gamma. it's not exclusive to the CX as the C9 has the issue too.

angelic

Banned
i keep seeing people listing brightness as a negative for OLEDS but my CX is more than bright enough for me. i only have it set to 40 for SDR content and even that feels too bright at a times

same, mines bright as hell, brighter than my excellent plasma, and im only on about 70 to 80% at most. When the full screen goes white, its insane.

I was initially worried about it being dull, i watched the videos showing the pink sky on forza on LCDs (the samsung qleds in particular), and in the end decided I wanted the blue sky colour accuracy of the oled, I can live without crazy brightness. Turns out thas all bullshit, its super bright, ultra accurate, super low input lag, its bloody great. And im just using a ps4 pro on it, nevermind my ps5 which is still in the box.

The gamma issue can be well not fixed but massaged to be less noticeable, a german guy who posts on avsforums made a video showing how to mitigate it on SDR output with PC. His English is not great so I've copied the settings out.

This is only for SDR output.

first method
brightness = 48
side effect is black crush, this is a simple one to try if your on a PC/console.

second method uses calman calibration software and probe and has no black crush.
using settings below may not help your TV.
gamma = bt.1886
brightness = 50 (default)
white balance
IRE
25 = -2
20 = -3
15 = -4
10 = -5
7.5 = -12
5 = -11
2.5 = -4

According to him it helps with games around 60fps which raise the gamma on 120hz output. He also has another video covering HGIG/HDR output on PC.

LG may not be able to fix this but they could add something like the above as an option to enable with VRR in picture settings, just call it VRR gamma mode.

Not everyone will see these things, there are a lot of underling variables in how games perform and the display reacts, LG's fixed 120hz gamma curve means basically the more solid 120fps or near to it the less likely you will see gamma shift.

D.Final

Banned
The gamma issue can be well not fixed but massaged to be less noticeable, a german guy who posts on avsforums made a video showing how to mitigate it on SDR output with PC. His English is not great so I've copied the settings out.

This is only for SDR output.

first method
brightness = 48
side effect is black crush, this is a simple one to try if your on a PC/console.

second method uses calman calibration software and probe and has no black crush.
using settings below may not help your TV.
gamma = bt.1886
brightness = 50 (default)
white balance
IRE
25 = -2
20 = -3
15 = -4
10 = -5
7.5 = -12
5 = -11
2.5 = -4

According to him it helps with games around 60fps which raise the gamma on 120hz output. He also has another video covering HGIG/HDR output on PC.

LG may not be able to fix this but they could add something like the above as an option to enable with VRR in picture settings, just call it VRR gamma mode.

Not everyone will see these things, there are a lot of underling variables in how games perform and the display reacts, LG's fixed 120hz gamma curve means basically the more solid 120fps or near to it the less likely you will see gamma shift.
It is a standard shift?

Top Bottom