• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors: Legends of Troy -- Why didn't anyone tell me?!?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-warriors-legends/50215

It's an all CG trailer, sure but... oh my f*cking god you have no idea how long I have DREAMED of a Dynasty Warriors game set in ancient Greece. We're talking years here, people, ever since the day I was sitting there playing DW3 and thinking about how awesome it would be if they went Greek. They've shown practically nothing and I am so pumped.

Hope it doesn't suck. :(

Decado

Spike Spiegel said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-warriors-legends/50215

It's an all CG trailer, sure but... oh my f*cking god you have no idea how long I have DREAMED of a Dynasty Warriors game set in ancient Greece. We're talking years here, people, ever since the day I was sitting there playing DW3 and thinking about how awesome it would be if they went Greek. They've shown practically nothing and I am so pumped.

Hope it doesn't suck. :(
lol. It's from KOEI. How can it *not* suck?

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Fuck yes!! Dynasty Warriors + ancient Greece is FTW. Now hopefully it will be more like the awesome of Dynasty Warriors 3 and less like the phail of bladestorm.

tehfryguy

NoitoraJirugajr said:
Fuck yes!! Dynasty Warriors + ancient Greece is FTW. Now hopefully it will be more like the awesome of Dynasty Warriors 3 and less like the phail of bladestorm.

qft

Press Release

WARRIORS: LEGENDS OF TROY™

ALL MEN HAVE NEED OF THE GODS

Three thousand years ago, a poet sang of heroes strong enough to stand alone against an army. For love, they sailed the world. For family, they made the greatest sacrifices. For honor, they stood and faced the will of gods, And fought a war which shook the earth.

In the age when Zeus Almighty ruled over immortals and men, what begins as a truce between two cities quickly erupts into a massive war that will shake the very foundations of Olympus. Two great armies clash not over home and country, but for the love of a single woman. The fates of these civilizations now stand upon the razor's edge.

FEATURES

Do battle as the Trojans or the Greeks. With two unique storylines, players will see the war from two perspectives. Clash with legions of soldiers on glorious battlegrounds that reach for miles

An intense combat system lets players grapple with and throw opponents, pick up and attack with a variety short range and long range weapons, charge with shields, and use evasive maneuvers. Online multiplayer coop and competitive play for up to 4 players.

Additional online features include voice chat, team and individual leaderboards, and more. Among the inspirations for the game is The Iliad, Homer's epic poem from the 9th century BC, however Warriors: Legends of Troy will include more mythological elements than the original source material. Players will annihilate hordes of soldiers, battle larger!than!life heroes and even confront mythical creatures sent by the gods.

ABOUT KOEI CANADA INC.

Established in 2001, KOEI CANADA Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yokohama, Japan!based KOEI Co., Ltd. Based in Toronto, Ontario, the company began as a computer graphics studio in September 2001, and later expanded in July 2005 to become a full video game development studio.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Platform PlayStation®3 , Xbox 360®
Category Tactical Action
Developer KOEI CANADA
Players 1!4 (online)
Display 720p
Sound Dolby®Digital
Memory TBD
Online Up to 4 players
LEGAL

Warriors: Legends of Troy and the KOEI logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of KOEI Co., Ltd. ©2009 KOEI Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "PlayStation", and "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. The PlayStation Network Logo is a service mark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Video output in HD requires cables and an HD compatible display, both sold separately. Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. The ratings icon is a trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. "Dolby", "Pro Logic", and the double D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.

960456_20090602_screen002.jpg

More Concept Art

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-very-interesting-details-on-warriors-legends-of-troy-134808.phtml

Koei invited us over to its booth today in order to find out the latest on Warriors: Legends of Troy. Although there was nothing playable, I was able to speak with Koei Canada and discuss how this brand new action title will work. What I heard was quite surprising indeed.

Legends of Troy will indeed be part of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors franchise, taking the familiar hack n' slash, one-versus-many style of action to the legendary battle featured in Homer's Iliad. However, it will come with a number of key differences that will set it apart, and hopefully help break the series onto the mainstream stage.

Hit the jump to find out all about it.

Warriors: Legends of Troy will be the first M-rated title in the Warriors series. While Koei's signature franchise has always steered clear of blood and guts, Legends of Troy will be providing a darker, far more brutal experience. The hack n' slash combat will remain the same, but there'll be some real violence this time.

Koei Canada is taking the reigns, but will be working with original Omega Force staff to help produce a game that remains true to the series' roots, while appealing directly to a Western audience. The team at Koei Canada is gearing this series predominately to the West, with the battle of Troy serving as an ideal premise for the new game. Unlike previous games in the series, Legends of Troy will tell a cohesive story from beginning to end, rather than assuming that people already know the source material and creating cutscenes that make very little sense unless you know the history upon which the games are based.

In terms of combat, we've been told that Troy will be very similar to previous DW titles pre-Dynasty Warriors 6. This means there'll be nothing like the Renbu system. The combat may be deeper however, with perhaps more similarities to popular Western action games in order to keep up the game's ambition of becoming popular outside of Japan.

You might also be very pleased to learn that Legends of Troy will also feature online multiplayer. Four-player co-op and verses battles have been confirmed, finally bringing the Warriors series into the 21st century.

Warriors: Legends of Troy is sounding very promising indeed, although we'll need to see some gameplay before making a firm judgment. If the violence, story and online works out well though, this could potentially by the title that makes Warriors a respectable series outside of Japan.
And still, nothing to show yet but some prerendered CG.

God, these ass warts should be making Legend of Cao Cao 2, ROTK XII, and Uncharted Waters 5!!!! None of this dynasty vomit shit.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
"In terms of combat, we've been told that Troy will be very similar to previous DW titles pre-Dynasty Warriors 6."

YES, I'm sold already on this. I hated how crappy 6 turned out to be.

nli10

Would have preferred Uk History based game (war of the roses etc.) but the greek thing can be good too.

4 Player online sounds promising.

shintoki said:
"In terms of combat, we've been told that Troy will be very similar to previous DW titles pre-Dynasty Warriors 6."

YES, I'm sold already on this. I hated how crappy 6 turned out to be.

I really liked the upgrading system in 6, but that stupid combo meter needs to go. Who thought that would be a good idea?

VASPER said:
Have you ever played Spartan: Total Warrior. its right up your ally.
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/734/734615.html
Got that one... overall it was a fun game but sorely lacking in presentation, personality and style... plus, it became extremely frustrating towards the end thanks to the checkpoint saves. As I recall I got fed up with restarting missions with ~0 life and had to cheat to finish it and move on.

Shadow of Rome was more up my alley, as a similarly-themed game from that year.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ram said:
its from koei canada - the makers of fatal inertia.
ram said:
ram said:
ram said:
ram said:

;_;

Oh well, maybe it might turn out all right if it's Omega Force doing all the game play stuff and Koei Canada doing the visuals.

Maybe.

;_;

Lyte Edge said:
;_;

Oh well, maybe it might turn out all right if it's Omega Force doing all the game play stuff and Koei Canada doing the visuals.

Maybe.

;_;
Or maybe... just maybe... futuristic racing games weren't their forte. Maybe the sort of games Koei is typically known for, is their forte.

Aaron

Lyte Edge said:
;_;

Maybe.

;_;
Omega Force is doing the Trinity PS3 game. They have nothing to do with Troy.

*BUMP*

So... after practically a year of absolute silence on this game, apparently Warriors: Legends of Troy has resurfaced at this year's E3 with new screens, new trailers and gameplay videos, and hands-on impressions of an actual, honest-to-gosh demo. Again, why wasn't I informed?!?

E3 Hands-On Impressions from Destructoid.com

It's the boss fights, however, that really make Troy stand out. From noxious warriors who spit out venom clouds and require copious use of the dodge move to get behind them, to huge statues of Apollo that take some serious beating to take down, Legends of Troy aims to host a large variety of unique bosses and altercations with Greek deities in order to keep things interesting. The boss fight I had with Apollo's statue was a tricky task indeed, not least for the fact that once I thought I beat him, the bastard came back with no legs and totally messed my life up.

One sad thing about Legends of Troy is that I can confirm the previously announced online multiplayer is no longer a part of the game. Koei had planned for online modes, including co-op, but the plan was nixed sometime over the past twelve months. The official reason I was given was that the game's narrative didn't support it, with various portions of the game that required one-on-one battles. It sounds incredibly weird to hear someone talking about preserving the narrative experience of a Warriors game, but there you have it. Koei actually cares about the story in this one.

Warriors: Legends of Troy strikes me as a promising concept, coming from the perspective of a Dynasty Warriors fan. It looks pretty good visually, the heavy combat works better than I imagined it would, and the addition of blood and gore makes it feel far more serious than its campy predecessors. I think I'll need more thorough time with the game to come a definite conclusion on its overall quality, but right now I'd say I liked what I played and I definitely like where it's going. Dynasty Warriors fans would do very well to keep this one on their radar.

E3 2010 Screens from Warriors: Legends of Troy courtesy of Worthplaying.com (REHOSTED)

x6jvvn.jpg

106y5h3.jpg

2mx07yf.jpg

2v01g69.jpg

3504eq8.jpg

3524qdw.jpg

288sb9u.jpg

4j7qdc.jpg

29avdvo.jpg

111qcqu.jpg

Key Features:

* Choose Sides: Do battle as the Trojans or the Greeks. With two unique storylines, players will see the war from two unique perspectives.
* Epic Battlefields: Clash with legions of soldiers on glorious battlegrounds that reach for miles throughout the ancient world.
* Strategic Carnage: Do anything to survive. Grab a sword from a fallen enemy and hurl it at a soldier bearing down on you. Smash an opponent with shields, and then run your spear through him. Or just throttle them with your bare hands.
* Legendary Battles: Battle larger-than-life heroes and even confront mythical creatures sent by the gods themselves.
* Brutal History: Among the inspirations for the game are The Iliad, Homer’s epic poem from the 9th century BC, and in-depth research of the ancient battlefields of the Trojan War.
* Ancient Heroes: Play as infamous heroes such as Achillies and Odysseus from Greece, as well as Hektor and Paris from Troy.

And finally... VIDEO!

E3 2010: Warriors: Legends of Troy Trailer on GameTrailers.com

E3 2010: Epic Battle Walkthrough (Cam) on GameTrailers.com

E3 2010: Bloody Massacre Gameplay on GameTrailers.com

Visually it looks reminiscent of Hokuto No Ken, but it's clear from the videos that this game still needs a lot of polish -- especially in the animation department. Also, too much trademark Koei "enemies stand still and wait to be killed" going on especially in that last video. Even so, I loooooooooves me some games set in ancient, epic Greece!

ram said:

Yep!

Game play looked like boring shit, this spoken as a Dynasty Warriors fan. Ubisoft = the only non-Japanese developer who can make a competent beat'em up.

Really quite a wasted premise IMO. Koei should just disown the Canadian arm. :|

Decado

It seems pretty much impossible to ruin this concept...but I see from the gameplay videos that Koei is still capable of it. Looks awful.

Decado said:
It seems pretty much impossible to ruin this concept...but I see from the gameplay videos that Koei is still capable of it. Looks awful.

Koei Canada.

A proper Omega Force / Koei Japan take on this would be stellar.

Musou game haters can suck it!

So according to the Koei website this game is coming out (shipping?) next Tuesday. Is there anyone who's going to be picking it up? Has there been any reviews in any magazines? I can't seem to find anything.

Dead to Rights said:
So according to the Koei website this game is coming out (shipping?) next Tuesday. Is there anyone who's going to be picking it up? Has there been any reviews in any magazines? I can't seem to find anything.

Is this still from the Bagged Milk team behind that rubbish Wipeout clone?

Just wait on Dynasty Warriors 7.

Its considerably better, with better fighting, more sensible career mode, a giant strategic mode, less duplication (though its not gone completely). Having played them all, DW7 is the best since - and perhaps alongside - DW3. Its no-bullshit satisfaction from beginning to end.

Sqorgar

Banned
Dead to Rights said:
I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably bite. The lack of ANY substantial information makes me worried, and many of the videos I've seen don't give any hint as to what the environments are going to be like (looks very linear to me). I can't tell how big the game is, or how open, or how varied (aren't there only like 10 characters?). In the same month as DW7 and the 3DS SWC (both of which are 100% certain buys), Koei has basically sent this game to die with the very fans that were likely to check it out in the first place. It is hard to justify a full price purchase sight unseen. As curious as I am, I'm waiting for some reader reviews.

Emitan

"Why didn't anyone tell me?"
Turn off Ad Block. There's been a banner ad for this game for at least a week.

EDIT: /humbled

Dead to Rights said:
1000 pardons fellow B. Jenet fan, but after DW6 I was left bitter and angry. I didn't follow up anything DW7 related.

You are pardoned.

As much as I love DW series, it's a franchise where I skip iterations because one fits my need. I skipped DW6 as it wasn't as good, but DW7 looks and sounds amazing. Although I'm kind of afraid it may be DW6 style and divert too far from the original formula, and some of the grotesque influence from Crapcom's inferior wanna-be Musou games is evident in recent DW7 media.

The beacon of hope? DIAN WEI'S AXE! :D

GrayFoxPL

I've been following this game since the beginning. It's funny how many times it got delayed but no-one noticed because no-one cared, lol.

The most amusing thing about it is what developers said in an early(first?) interview, that "it's a Dynasty Warriors game for people who hate Dynasty Warriors."

I thought: "They want to commit suicide like that?" Koei Japan must've a word with them since they've kept quite since then.

The game looked awful back then but the latest trailer makes it look ok. I'll pick it up if I'll buy a new tv soon, old one just broke now.

Phloxy

You haven't heard of this game because it is fucking horrible. No split screen, around 7 characters, really bad frame drops, and lame combat. Avoid at all costs.

The Take Out Bandit said:
You are pardoned.

As much as I love DW series, it's a franchise where I skip iterations because one fits my need. I skipped DW6 as it wasn't as good, but DW7 looks and sounds amazing. Although I'm kind of afraid it may be DW6 style and divert too far from the original formula, and some of the grotesque influence from Crapcom's inferior wanna-be Musou games is evident in recent DW7 media.

The beacon of hope? DIAN WEI'S AXE! :D

hahahahahaha

oh man, the mainline Sengoku Basara series has blown anything Koei has ever offered out of the water. The difference in gameplay, graphics, and dedication to making and upgrading a comprehensive and exciting battle system with a ridiculously diverse set of characters is astounding. I'd speak about character designs and story, but character designs are way too subjective and the stories of both are absolute horseshit.

^And I'm actually a fan of DW/SW/DW:G

The sadder part is, Koei is actually getting WORSE as they go along. SW3 was almost unplayable it was so poorly made.

I'm going to try DW7 because I'm happy they are going back to a broad array of weaponry and dropped the renbu system, but Troy just doesn't look like it offers any enjoyable gameplay whatsoever from the videos I've seen.

MoxManiac

I gotta side with TToB here. Basara didn't hold my interest. It doesn't really have the elements that make musou games good. (open battlefields with army vs. army clashes, rescuing and working with allies, alternate defeat conditions etc) Basara was more just beat everything up with your overpowered character. Plus the animu designs and story was kind of crappy too.

Troy doesn't really look that good to me. :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think Koei scorched the earth for this genre. Guilty Gear 2 was incredible but the press was so genre fatigued that no one cared. I don't think people would give this game high reviews even if it was decent.

NeonZ

robotzombie said:
hahahahahaha

oh man, the mainline Sengoku Basara series has blown anything Koei has ever offered out of the water. The difference in gameplay, graphics, and dedication to making and upgrading a comprehensive and exciting battle system with a ridiculously diverse set of characters is astounding.

Now, I've only gotten into the Musou series very recently, so I haven't gotten yet enough time to be tired of the system and reused engine, but, based on what I've played, especially comparing Sengoku Basara 3 vs Samurai Warriors 3- Sengoku Basara has a faster and slightly more free flowing combo system and a better graphical style... but that's it.

The stages are all very linear, there's a smaller emphasis on objectives, the cast is diverse in a sense, with the bigger freedom for combos, but they aren't that much more unique than Musou characters... The whole point of the game becomes beating up waves of CPU controlled opponents with little else to do.

I think Basara handled story better though. It actually had coherent stories, while in Samurai Warriors (at least, 3), there are often these huge time skips between stages with a large number of events being just briefly mentioned by the narrator or even not mentioned at all and just randomly shown during the stage itself (like some secondary characters changing factions between stages).

HebrewHammer

Neo Member
Ok guys, WTF is the official release date for this game?! The official site says March 8th, GameStop says March 15th, IGN says March 22nd... I mean cmon! WHAT THE FUDGE! When is it?!

Top Bottom