• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Barrack Obama a good president?

Was Obama a good president?

• Total voters

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Not an ideal metric to go by. Times changed dramatically during Obama's terms. Everyone has a voice in the new social media generation, which has amplified dumbfuck comments infinitely.

It's far more socially acceptable to levy death threats toward the current POTUS, and it's the latest pastime of celebrities (who do it consequence-free). Obama was popular. Note that many, many other presidents came closer to assassination (or were assassinated).
I don't like how some people make light of a possible Trump death. That's not even the least bit funny. I don't like him (never have) but the conversation should be about beating him at the election which, thankfully, is what most seem to be doing.

Obama was popular because people wrongly thought that meant we were a post-racial society... Far from it. That is part of why I said he had more death threats than any president previous. We can all disagree with his policies and actions while in office, but racism didn't magically start back up when he became president. As a black man (or biracial man), he had a different perspective on race than a white president... Even a well-meaning one like (hopefully) Bernie Sanders. He has had racism thrown at him by even family members so he had a unique perspective on it. So him TALKING about it made many feel uncomfortable. NOT talking about racism and how it affects us WON'T make racism go away. It just emboldens those who practice it and they pass it further down their family trees.

Racism never went away... Those who were racist taught their kids and grandkids... And all of them NOW have the internet. They can reach more people ...

And this is also the problem with groups like antifa and proud boys. The internet gets idiots together to plan things to hurt people.

Also, I never bought into that "if you criticize Obama, you're a racist!" logic... I get why people say that: he was scrutinized more with being the first black President. But if you challenged his policies with viable alternatives, I don't think anyone would.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
LOL he invited Black Lives Matter to the White House and met with Farrakhan. At the very least, he was tone deaf on race.
I'm curious why you think BLM is racist... Especially when "too" is implied. It doesn't mean "only".

And Farrakhan... That was at a meeting of the Congressional Black Caucus... Whic,h I think, was the only time they've met. It wasn't a secret meeting at the White House or anything of the sort. It happened before he even ran for Pres.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
I'm curious why you think BLM is racist... Especially when "too" is implied. It doesn't mean "only".

And Farrakhan... That was at a meeting of the Congressional Black Caucus... Whic,h I think, was the only time they've met. It wasn't a secret meeting at the White House or anything of the sort. It happened before he even ran for Pres.
BLM is racist because they protested prosecution of charges against black men regardless of the evidence or circumstances. It was the same as what happened with Jussie Smollett.

I'm okay with racist organizations like that existing, but not okay with them getting away with breaking the law, shutting down roads and businesses and such.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
BLM is racist because they protested prosecution of charges against black men regardless of the evidence or circumstances. It was the same as what happened with Jussie Smollett.

I'm okay with racist organizations like that existing, but not okay with them getting away with breaking the law, shutting down roads and businesses and such.
They protested because of the verifiable history of black men being railroaded by the criminal justice system... Which still goes on.

Like corruption in the Baltimore PD
Or the DNA scandal that resulted in thousands of overturned convictions...

Or like this case in Chicago.... Which has a long history of police corruption (I think Chicago was the inspiration for Gotham City)

Whether you like it or not, this country STILL has a problem with corruption by those who are supposed to PROTECT us... Not all are bad but when even good cops try to blow the whistle and then are retaliated against it makes it harder for all of us.

So they protested ... When you understand that false claims, police corruption and other things work against you and people who look like you (I know there are white men who have been falsely accused and incarcerated... But that number may be far lower than for POC), you tend not to trust the Justice system.

And if they're breaking the law by blocking traffic, call the cops! Don't ram into them, possibly killing them (I'd post the videos but I'm not trying to look and get angry)!

Last edited:

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
I don't disagree that there were reasons for them to protest. That also doesn't mean that they aren't racist, which was the original point.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I don't disagree that there were reasons for them to protest. That also doesn't mean that they aren't racist, which was the original point.
I'm still failing to understand how they're racist.

Maybe I'm looking at this through the lens of my own experiences as a black man, but I've never understood why people call BLM "racist" other than not understanding that "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "only"... It means that our lives matter just as much as white lives (which the media has had a hand in promoting that we don't matter).

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
"Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "only"... It means that our lives matter just as much as white lives
It doesn't make sense how much they tried to attack anyone who used the statement "all lives matter" then, especially when it was milquetoast government officials they cornered.

Every black man that made the news for criminal activity during the summer of BLM was called a good young boy and they whitewashed any allegations away as being racist.

It's not the typical kind of racist language, but when you spread the message that your race is above the law, it's still racist.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
I will say this. I'd still rather have Obama for a third term than any of the current nut jobs that are currently running for the presidency. At least he was sane.
he was really good at projecting this narrative of "sane". locking up whistleblowers? droning people without trial? creating the detention camps people are fuming at the mouth about? what are you talking about? the guy is totally cool. he went on Ellen!

yes it was all nice cos you could just shut your mind off. "look at this playlists he made!" nobody gave him shit about concentration camps cos he was so smooth. if you brought up "Collateral Murder" and his administration openly killing foreign journalists, everyone swept it under the rug. he was a cool guy. don't harsh his buzz!

tbh i would rather have Trump and have people actively call out abuses than another Obama and everyone just sleepwalking through it.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
It doesn't make sense how much they tried to attack anyone who used the statement "all lives matter" then, especially when it was milquetoast government officials they cornered.

Every black man that made the news for criminal activity during the summer of BLM was called a good young boy and they whitewashed any allegations away as being racist.

It's not the typical kind of racist language, but when you spread the message that your race is above the law, it's still racist.
Every man that is accused of something in local news is called "he is a good boy! He didn't do nothing!" (At least in the south that's a universal thing)

The reason that people got mad at "all lives matter" is because, at least in the news and the criminal justice system, black lives did NOT matter.

It's obvious that all lives SHOULD matter but when a people feel like they're kept from the American dream and still told they're the bad guy (welfare queens, criminals, drug users, etc.) ... "All lives matter" is a cop out.

Plus, it's used by people who think BLM means BLM only...

But all lives DO matter... Most just wish they mattered to everyone.

And the bolded is not what it's about nor their message.

Jan 9, 2018
He performed the part extremely well, from a PR perspective, and that is to his credit as a speaker, presenter, etc.

I'm not so positive about the nefarious things that his progressive-shine permitted to take place under the surface, however. He was a state-power kind of guy like any other, highly fond of state secrecy, surveillance, etc and took us even further down those roads. He extended the new era of drones and other proxy violence. He then spearheaded cultural progressivism via his bureaucratic arms, with the most disastrous instance being the notorious "Dear Colleague" letter that pushed gender ideology conflict into the schools.

I voted for him twice, prior to my own political restructuring. In retrospect, given what he did, I wouldn't even let him sit at the table with me now, or allow him to be in a room with family.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

Sounds pretty racist to me. I mean, they're a divisive group, helmed by assholes like Shaun King. I can get you some choice quotes from him too, if you like.

Did someone hold a gun to Obama's head while he was going to meet Farrakhan? Because the picture I saw of him with a big, toothy grin being all palsy-walsy with a known racist and anti-semite. Further, the black members in the CBC conspired to hide the photo because they knew it would sink Obama, which it would've. It wasn't until the photographer came out with it that the public got to see it, and I use that phrase loosely because the public never really got to see it because the corrupt press ignored it. So while it wasn't a secret meeting at the White House, it was a secret meeting nonetheless WITH a known racist.

Last edited:

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Trump is WAY better at self-marketing than Obama was. Fucking lightyears.
I agree. Trump knows how to sell himself.

I mean, maybe not self-marketing, what I was saying about Obama is how he had more like a marketing done by the media. Obama is similar to Haddad, the runner-up in the Presidential campaign in Brazil. A guy that was supported by the majority of the media but is a total hack.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
I agree. Trump knows how to sell himself.
Trump shamelessly puts his last name on everything, but he's a lot less popular as president.

I wouldn't really count that as knowing how to sell himself.

I voted for him twice, prior to my own political restructuring. In retrospect, given what he did, I wouldn't even let him sit at the table with me now, or allow him to be in a room with family.
I am a bit curious then, about what current political figures would you want to invite.

tbh i would rather have Trump and have people actively call out abuses than another Obama and everyone just sleepwalking through it.
Well, at least this can be read as an implicit acknowledgement that Trump is carrying out abuses. Based on how other people are commenting, you'd think he made it all fine. But nope. Drone strikes? Still happening. Executive actions? Still happening.

His option, his ONLY option, was to attempt to get reform passed. This decision was cowardly and will result in massive abuse of executive action by future administrations.
He did try to get immigration reform passed. Can you guess why it didn't get through?

Speaking of which, I wonder what's your position on Trump's use of executive power to date.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DeafTourette

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
Good or bad it doesn’t matter. He has been erased. The best he can do is be Trump’s shadow in a weird Peter Pan way from now on. There is no Obama without Trump now and this thread proves it.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
His foreign policy was a disaster. Is Libya better off today as a result of his administration? The open air slave markets don't point to a better tomorrow for that country.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
I am a bit curious then, about what current political figures would you want to invite.
Good question....

... hard to come up with anyone...

...maybe Jacob Rees Mogg, he's at least interesting and any of his faults are too far removed from us geographically.

Elcid

Jul 27, 2018
In my mind FDR, Woodrow Wilson, and Obama are all in Hell fighting for the title of worst President in US history.

Last edited:
Reactions: prag16

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
BLM was founded by a Ashkenaz Jew and a white guy,t hey have nothing to do with Black people and have done actions that if it was another black group that wasn't funded by non-blacks would have been machine gunned down with mass arrests and life imprisonments.

As for Obama he was a puppet, he wasn't even suppose to get in but Hillary slipped up so much everyone moved to him, he ran pretending to be for black people to distract them for four years so they could pass policies that would make it hard to counter decisions by the then Democratic cabinent members (which backfired since Trumps using it against them and now they are mad) and then as soon as the first 4 years was up he did a 180 went full Communist, full Homo, full government spending, full dismantling the constitution.

It's clear that something happened in 2012 for Obama to just make a full turn to the far left in 5 seconds from 0.

Is he the "worst" President? No. He fought for it but the republicans blocked half the things after his 2012 reelecation that would have made things much worse so he got saved from that title.

• Triggered
Reactions: DeafTourette

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Terrible, terrible president. Where he excelled was being the highly educated, great speaking, minority face of the Democratic party to inspire people to vote for their dumpster fire of an agenda. He fooled me and won my support. Nothing he did made this country any better. He was the trojan horse of the same ol, same ol agenda.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
No. But in an indictment on the current Democratic party... by comparison Obama's platform was actually pretty Centrist by comparison, and in 2020 a candidate with such a platform is almost something I could somewhat support. But none of the current Democrats are anything like that now; everyone's off the identity politics SJW deep end. (Not that Obama did anything to help with that; in fact in a lot of ways he probably set the state especially during his second term; he definitely had a hand in setting race relations back decades.)

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007
I'm still failing to understand how they're racist.

Maybe I'm looking at this through the lens of my own experiences as a black man, but I've never understood why people call BLM "racist" other than not understanding that "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "only"... It means that our lives matter just as much as white lives (which the media has had a hand in promoting that we don't matter).
Yeah, it was always a response to the mentality that black lives do not matter, expressed through how parts of society, like the police and media in general unfairly treat black people. Basically saying, "no, black lives do matter."

Last edited: