• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Share Play for FIFA 15 (PS4) silently removed in the last 24 hours? (edit: YES)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is an absolutely terrible move by EA to block this after initially allowing it.

I honestly believe Sony needs to remove the ability for publishers/developers to disable shareplay. This feature will be useless if major publishers just disable it.

Also, did EA push out a patch for this, or were they able to do this via PSN?

Publishers being able to opt out is why Share Play is even a thing. Sony wouldn't get away with attempting to mandate the feature; there'd be a lot of resistance. You can bet Sony wanted it to be a universal feature but had to settle for allowing for an out.

Darknight

You guys think Sony can still make this a mandatory thing? Anything that a twitter mob can do to reach Shu on this subject?

Shocking move if true as FIFA was used in an advert I saw to demo it.

Do we have actual confirmation this has happened though and not just a bug on the OP's end?

I'm in the UK and have a copy of FIFA at hand but my internet connection is absolute pap here 2.3mb down and 400-500kbs up so not sure if share play would even work with that, never tried it.

Kilau

I'm not able to Shareplay what seems like any games with a friend in the US (I'm in Canada). Here is a list of titles that were working previously but now are not:

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Lego Marvel
Steamworld Dig

Alien Isolation also doesn't work but it may never have.

Oh man I'll have to check Lego Marvel, it worked so good with that game. Sucks if it's being disabled like this.

UrbanRats

That's pretty fucking lame. I have had a blast watching FIFA stream while my games download.

Share Play doesn't include video streaming, just the ability to play a game you don't own, that someone "shares" with you through streaming.
You can still watch other people play.

I don't think Sony should stronghold publishers into forcing this feature for all games, thats an abuse of power imo. With that said its stupid for any dev to disable this because ultimately it helps expose their games to an otherwise untapped market of potential buyers.

It's no different than a demo and those were never made for good intentions but as marketing products to sell their game. Hell the publisher doesn't even have to spend resources crafting a demo, its literally free marketing.

And demos are proven to be detrimental to sales.
In an industry largely built on HYPE, the last thing you want is for people to actually play your game, really.
The imaginary projection of the game you have in your head, will always be greater than the actual product, and it's why a lot of people preorder and buy collector's editions, even.

Shareplay at the very least should end up being supported by everyone except Activision and EA as I really can't see anyone else having a problem with it, even Ubisoft seems onboard with it.

There was a article up on EuroGamer about SharePlay being disabled for certain games (it had quite a comprehensive list of games which did and didn't work with it). EG asked PS4 Minecraft dev why it was with they had disabled it and it turned out they didn't know. So it makes me wonder how many of these games have been intentionally disabled and how many, if any, are not working due to a possible technical issue.

edit: cannot link to the article as I am on my Vita.

Great feature for players but publishers must hate it. A lot of gamers might not buy a game because of this. Sony had to let publishers block it for obvious reasons. It's sad though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, is EA trying to one up Ubisoft's shitty week now?

onQ123

I think it's a case of publishers not wanting big features on one console that's not on the other.

The crazy thing is this works without devs having to do anything yet they are going out of their way to turn it off.

vercity82

Tonight alot has gone down had been able to shareplay UFC not any more same with walking dead season 2 my mates been playing all week and not tonight seems we need a new thread of what works and what don't.

Lost Culture

Neo Member
Would be nice to know what publishers are onboard behind Sony with share play. Would it be far fetched to think EA would hold a grudge against Sony for not agreeing with EA Access? Either way this is a great feature, and I would like to see more devs and pubs support.

I think it's a case of publishers not wanting big features on one console that's not on the other.

The crazy thing is this works without devs having to do anything yet they are going out of their way to turn it off.

Which is stupid since this is something that could actually get people to buy their games. And that's supposed to be the point of releasing them. They're basically ruining a feature that could help them make more money.

Lrrr

I actually played FIFA 15 last night with a friend via Share Play. I'll see if we can test it out again tonight and get back to you with our results. We're in the U.S.

Which is stupid since this is something that could actually get people to buy their games. And that's supposed to be the point of releasing them. They're basically ruining a feature that could help them make more money.

Agreed 100%. Being able to play the final version of FIFA is what made me want to buy it.

Sounds like to me like a bug. Ea and Activision games fair enough, but steamworld dig? Seems unlikely an indie dev would have an issue with with a game being shareplayed, especially one that is free to any PS+ member for the entire month.

This is some real bullshit. Shareplay is a great feature and big publishers like EA should embrace it. Instead they're treating their costumers like dirt.

mreddie

Publishers think Shareplay is messing with their sales when it's not since Shareplay has a time limit.

This is getting stupid.

meanspartan

Sony quit being such a bitch and put your boot on these publishers' throat and FORCE share play to work across the board. If they have a problem, they can quit selling their games on the console currently in 1st place. You aren't Wii U.

Sorry if that came off unreasonably angry.

meanspartan

Great feature for players but publishers must hate it. A lot of gamers might not buy a game because of this. Sony had to let publishers block it for obvious reasons. It's sad though.

I don't see why it's obvious. Tell them too fucking bad if they don't like it. I have lost all patience with these giant publishers.

vypek

Sony quit being such a bitch and put your boot on these publishers' throat and FORCE share play to work across the board. If they have a problem, they can quit selling their games on the console currently in 1st place. You aren't Wii U.

Sorry if that came off unreasonably angry.

That would probably be a bad move for Sony. Might hurt them more than it helps. Especially if its a feature that not a huge number of people are using yet.

For all we know, it might be some small technical issue. Do we know for sure that devs are actually patching games to actively disable SharePlay? Hopefully its a weird issue thats figured out soon. Its a nice optional feature that I hope most people will support.

Iorv3th

Could this have anything to do with firmware 2.02 since it's not mandatory? Maybe if both users don't have it or something?

meanspartan

Publishers being able to opt out is why Share Play is even a thing. Sony wouldn't get away with attempting to mandate the feature; there'd be a lot of resistance. You can bet Sony wanted it to be a universal feature but had to settle for allowing for an out.

Maybe if this were before launch and pissing off publishers could mean a real threat to establishing a base.

No publisher is going to pull their game from the 1st place console. Hell, most wouldn't pull it from the second place console either, Xbox One may be selling less than Ps4 but 10 million is 10 million, the people who can't resist putting micro-transactions in $60 games are NOT going to leave that many sales on the table in a who's is bigger contest.

Sony should absolutely force Share Play to be mandatory. If publishers bitch too much, they'll only catch consumer backlash. Fucking greedy assholes.

EDIT: If I sound grumpy it is because I've had now 3 games in the past 6 weeks be total letdowns due to either not working or being worse than simply not working. I have lost all patience with the publishers.

This is a really odd move. I just watched an advert for the PS4 on tv earlier where they were using FIFA while talking about the new shareplay feature. Going to be a fair few disappointed people after seeing it.

It occurs to me that this could be a bug. Though I suppose it could also be Sony receiving more pushback from the publishers than they expected, and preemptively removing SharePlay support from games until they've received explicit approval from the publisher.

Alej

Banned
Frankly disgusting. It's like with PES, I have no less than 6 friends who wanted to try it since last night to see how it plays before eventually buying it. They are FIFA players not normally interested by PES, so in fact I am pretty sure Konami loses potential customers because of this move.

It is fucking free marketing ruled by entitled fans, this is so bullshit. Share play could be so big!

How many more people tried this out?

I feel like it's more of Sony issue if anything because there aren't patches for these games we think are affected.

It's not a magical switch to turn it off without a patch.

Skullet4000

Neo Member
Frankly disgusting. It's like with PES, I have no less than 6 friends who wanted to try it since last night to see how it plays before eventually buying it. They are FIFA players not normally interested by PES, so in fact I am pretty sure Konami loses potential customers because of this move.

It is fucking free marketing ruled by entitled fans, this is so bullshit. Share play could be so big!

If only there had been some kind of demo they could have downloaded...

TheAznOne

Trying it right now and NBA 2k15 play share is not working. Getting the same message that the pic was posted earlier. So something is def up.

Edit: After restarting play share, the game now works like it should. So it could be the servers acting up.

Eusis

EA is getting to much good press for Dragon Age, they have to do something about that.
Actually, what games have had it blocked so far? I know CoD did and I can wholly blame that on Activision, but this IS a licensed game. I'm more than happy to blame FIFA for it if it looks like they may've taken issue with it, and frankly they're infinitely more abhorrent than EA can ever be without some grotesque expanding on their part.

LAM09

It's crazy to think FIFA SharePlay supposedly stops working the same week PES comes out.

SharePlay is slowing becoming less and less interesting thanks to certain devs.

someone tweeted Shu. it seems like all games are having problems, even Sonys first party titles.

https://twitter.com/psaprez/status/533114078802501632

Was a patch released for FIFA?

Is it a server side change vs. a local patch?

i think it's a serverside thing. publishers can ask Sony to flag titles at their discretion. this is why local updates aren't needed and it works retroactively with all games going back to the PS4 launch.

Two Words

The bullshit part about limiting SharePlay is that it isn't duplicating anything. It's literally letting somebody else play your copy of a game with your system, using your internet. At no point is the publisher getting cheated out of anything.

Wow this is horrible on EA's part. Me and my cousin have played Fifa through shareplay multiple times in the past. He ended up buying the game!! This sucks, it's such an awesome and true next gen feature and these anti-consumer practices are going to kill it and make it irrelevant. Fuck EA and Fuck Activision!

someone tweeted Shu. it seems like all games are having problems, even Sonys first party titles.

https://twitter.com/psaprez/status/533114078802501632

i think it's a serverside thing. publishers can ask Sony to flag titles at their discretion. this is why local updates aren't needed and it works retroactively with all games going back to the PS4 launch.

Thought as much soon as someone mentioned steamworld dig. Makes no sense for that game to be blocked.

Yakkity

Same with PES 2015. Friend has Uk PSN, has Uk disc, lives 15 miles from me in the Uk and I got the regional restriction error last night. Seems a sony side thing rather than game patched?

Top Bottom