• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Share Play for FIFA 15 (PS4) silently removed in the last 24 hours? (edit: YES)

Gustav

Banned
Either I have a bug or Share Play has been removed in the last 24 hours for FIFA 15.
If I try to share play with a friend, a message pops up saying:

"Viewing the game screen that the host is currently playing is not allowed due to content restrictions in your country or region.
If the host starts a game you can view, the game screen will be displayed."

Edit: it worked yesterday.

Well I am glad that Sony added this feature that they allowing content owners to disable. I mean sure the promise was all games, but when has any promise been fulfilled.

Gustav

Banned
Well I am glad that Sony added this feature that they allowing content owners to disable. I mean sure the promise was all games, but when has any promise been fulfilled.

I think it would be sensible to have a list of all titles that support it. Was shocked to see it silently removed.

Not sure why Sony wouldn't make this mandatory, but I guess they were afraid of pubs?... though what could pubs really do about it if Sony made it mandatory?

Not sure why Sony wouldn't make this mandatory, but I guess they were afraid of pubs?... though what could pubs really do about it if Sony made it mandatory?

Until there's an update to the actual publishing requirements, like trophies on PS3 initially, publishers will have the option.

Luckily, indie developers, the ones who tend to still do couch co-op, seem a bit more enthusiastic about it.

I can also confirm that Share Play has worked in the past for me and a friend in FIFA 15. We live in Canada. I cannot test to see if it is working now though. It will suck if this turns out to be true.

Gustav

Banned
Grimløck;138755695 said:
total dick move by EA if they retroactively disable shareplay.

So far, I am the only person that has reported this problem (at least here on GAF and quick google search). Might be a weird fluke. We tried turning our PS4s off and on again, restore licenses, etc, though. Who knows.

stephen08

I'm not able to Shareplay what seems like any games with a friend in the US (I'm in Canada). Here is a list of titles that were working previously but now are not:

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Lego Marvel
Steamworld Dig

Alien Isolation also doesn't work but it may never have.

Darknight

These features have to be forced by Sony else they are pointless bulletpoint features.

"PS4 has revolutionary Shareplay feature!"*

*only if devs allow it.

Sony should give like a 1% cut of PS+ revenue to devs to allow Sony to have this feature enabled or something.

I always wondered how Sony convinced Pubs, who can't even give us games that work on launch day, to allow us to share games. Now I have my answer.

It sucks in a major way

Raonak

Banned
I don't understand why sony didn't just make share-play mandatory.
It doesn't use up any additional game resources or anything, it's basically just remote play to another PS4.

I'm guessing it has to due with licencing or something, because it wasn't there from day 1?

Fucking asshole publishers :mad:
trying to shut down one of the most revolutionary features this gen.

UrbanRats

I'm not able to Shareplay what seems like any games with a friend in the US (I'm in Canada). Here is a list of titles that were working previously but now are not:

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Lego Marvel

Lol, in 6 months this feature will be rendered useless, if not for first party games.

Honestly, I only care about SharePlay in games that don't have online, like TowerFall: Ascension or Sportsfriends. Yeah, it's pretty crummy that some games won't allow you to hand over controls to a friend for help, but I hardly think FIFA or PES would suffer from a lack of this. And since they are internet connected already, maybe SharePlay is not needed. Having said that, I hope this does not become a trend on games that could really benefit from that.

GnawtyDog

Banned
PS4 does not have a 30mill+ install base, trouncing the Xb1 3-1 to command fear and make this mandatory. Just the way it works. Soft-power...let it work...

UrbanRats

I don't understand why sony didn't just make share-play mandatory.
It doesn't use up any additional game resources or anything, it's basically just remote play to another PS4.

I'm guessing it has to due with licencing or something, because it wasn't there from day 1?

Because now to play FIFA with a friend, you need to buy two copies? And to play with another friend, three copies (unless you unrealistically pass that second one around).
Pretty obvious.

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Lego Marvel

Wow even Destiny was removed? It worked on Shareplay launch.

Quotient

This is an absolutely terrible move by EA to block this after initially allowing it.

I honestly believe Sony needs to remove the ability for publishers/developers to disable shareplay. This feature will be useless if major publishers just disable it.

Also, did EA push out a patch for this, or were they able to do this via PSN?

stephen08

Who said it was removed?

That poster just reported his issue.

That's correct. The game specifically says that the content cannot be viewed because of region but all of the games I listed were working not too long ago with people in other countries.

EDIT: I'd take a screenshot of the message but the system won't let me.

Quotient

Destiny
Shadow of Mordor
Lego Marvel
Steamworld Dig

Is this for real?!

What's the point of this amazing feature if publishers are just going to disable it. This is the time for Sony to put its foot down and state if you want to release games for the PS4 then you must support share-play, it would be suicide for the publishers not to comply.

which is why it shouldn't be a choice, it should be required just like remote play. This will most likely be the norm with the big 3 publishers and some others.

I don't think Sony should stronghold publishers into forcing this feature for all games, thats an abuse of power imo. With that said its stupid for any dev to disable this because ultimately it helps expose their games to an otherwise untapped market of potential buyers.

It's no different than a demo and those were never made for good intentions but as marketing products to sell their game. Hell the publisher doesn't even have to spend resources crafting a demo, its literally free marketing.

Top Bottom