• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was that the greatest troll in the history of the industry? (FFVII)

Percy

Banned
I laughed my ass off, sure, but it made SE look kind of pathetic tbh.

Even that idea that was floating around for a 'compilation of FFVII' HD collection would have been better than porting the PC version of FFVII to PS4 and doubtless charge a huge markup on the price in the process.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
you're right, it's all on the hyped. Square Enix had no idea what they were doing with their PS3 tech demo showing 10 years ago.

They did an FF8 tech demo for PS2. It wasn't because they were releasing FF8 on PS2. It was because they were doing a tech demo. It's not their fault fans are actually crazy.

They had no idea that FFVII has real impact to a lot of people and that that kind of news would excite people like no other. And they understandably must not have known that never once addressing it since then would not kill it off in people's hearts. They're totally ignorant to the power and cultural relevance of their own franchises...

So basically fans are crazy and SE should respect that and if they don't they're trolls.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm perfectly happy with playing the OG game, so this is hilarious. But if you don't think a multi-billion dollar company with international reach didn't know exactly what they were doing with this, you trust far too much in the power of message boards. They're clearly sick of fans asking for a return to the past.

I scooted up to the tv and sat there cross legged while my wife giggled at my excitement. Saw the old footage, kept waiting for a cut to remastered and it never came.

It never came...

Natheren

zack_fair_by_cloudstrifesgirl-d3apx64.jpg

That announcement...

ViciousDS

Banned
Sat there watching the initial footage go by thinking, omg watch them flip the switch only to want to punch his face by the end of the announcement. Biggest fucking troll.

Rion

People are expecting way too much from SE. Think about it, their plate is full. I would rather have them working on XVI than VII remake.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You have to admit though, the way that was handled was ridiculous. Showing off the FFVII logo first and foremost was insane. There's no way anyone, despite expectations at any level, would not assume a remake at that point.

I didn't assume it because I am not crazy and I know that SE has struggled with development, that the bulk of their staff are tied up in the existing white whale projects they've been chasing for a decade, and that they weren't magically going to have 300+ people working in secret on a fan fever dream rather than a new product.

When the logo came up, my immediate reaction was "oh, FF7 PSX playable on PS4. Wonder if they're using Gaikai or they've got the emulator running? Wouldn't streaming like 5 minutes of the game actually be more bandwidth than just downloading it?" The fact that it's an actual port was a pleasant surprise, honestly.

They did an FF8 tech demo for PS2. It wasn't because they were releasing FF8 on PS2. It was because they were doing a tech demo. It's not their fault fans are actually crazy.
So basically fans are crazy and SE should respect that and if they don't they're trolls.
Maybe they're not trolls, but ignorant? I mean if a Nintendo rep were up on stage mentioning F-Zero and putting a big F-Zero logo up on-screen for all to see would you blame people for anticipating an actual new F-Zero announcement and being VERY disappointed when it's a F-Zero X re-release? (better yet a standalone F-Zero X purchased seperately from a Virtual Console version you might already own?) I don't see how Square get's a free pass here. At the very least even if it's not entirely on them they should have realized that showing FFVII's rerelease in this way is a little tactless/careless. It IS on them to consider the feelings and expectations of their fans - not saying they should bend to their wills but they should be aware of when something simple like this has the potential to mislead or disappoint their audience.

TheChaos0

I don't underwtand why Hashimoto was even there! What a waste of a plane ticket. He could have just done all this via Skype, while at home in a bath, with a life sized cutout standing on the stage.

go into the PS:Experience thread and look at all of the "OMG I'M LITERALLY CRYING" posts (page 98 or 99 if you have 100 posts/per page) when people still thought this was actually the FFVII Remake. I'm trying to imagine all of the tear-covered faces melting into sucker-punched confusion, eventually distorting into pure hatred.
I knew something didn't feel right about the whole thing. Then 'Spring 2015' popped up and I was immediately thinking "nope."

I'm so fucking angry, but I can't stop laughing.
I mean... why did this even happen?
Are they really going to package the shitty PC version and release it on PS4? Good lord what in the I dont even uh

I thought that was unbelievably cruel. I don't care one way or another but I know lots of people do and they thought it was actually happening. For real happening. Sony was funding it and Square Enix had been hard at work on a PS4 remaster and oh boy our dreams are real......PC Port. That was outrageously brutal.

Codeblue

I didn't really see it as a troll. It never even crossed my mind that it could be a remake or anything other than a port. I'm surprised anyone did. You guys are familiar with Square Enix, right?

Business

Absolutely brutal. I couldn't care less for FF but I can imagine how it was for those invested in the franchise. Incredible.

Hasney

Yeah, but that was FF8. Nobody cared ;)

Seriously though, while I agree that it was the fans that have hyped this up for years, surely it looks terrible on SE (and Sony really) for putting this on stage. I don't think it matters who hypes it, but putting that on a big event, especially with a celebratory "EXCLUSIVELY ON PS4" like it was a big deal kind of shows their fingers are very far from the pulse of the fans.

I don't think it was a troll, I think it was a deceleration of a company to say how out of touch they really are.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This motherfucker TOOK A PLANE RIDE FROM JAPAN OUT TO VEGAS just to deliver this troll.

It really is unprecedented. Like, this is going into the trolling hall of fame. It's almost beautiful.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it was a troll, who was doing the trolling? Certainly not Square Enix, who have done nothing to cultivate the expectations for a remake. Fans trolled themselves, another one of the ten thousand dumb collective hype train delusions they've been prey to.

The biggest reminder for everybody for every other hype thread. Seriously, it's all on you guys.

WHen the reality of the situation crept in, and I realised that what we were being shown wasn't a remake but just a port, well... it wasn't a pleasant feeling. I felt crushed and an overwhelming sense of embarrassment that, for a moment, I actually believed a megaton on that scale was unfolding before my eyes.

It's not the announcement itself that's the problem, it's the way it was presented. It should have been unveiled in a low key manner, like an entry on the PSBlog or something. Instead, both Sony and Square Enix turned it into a farce, and now everyone looks really fucking stupid.

Balb

Why do people actually want a remake of that game.

Let it stay in 1997 where it is innocent and beautiful.

I don't know, it could be amazing if it was masterfully reworked by a really talented director like REmake. I don't think Square has anyone even close to a Shinji Mikami at the moment though so that seems unlikely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe they're not trolls, but ignorant? I mean if a Nintendo rep were up on stage mentioning F-Zero and putting a big F-Zero logo up on-screen for all to see would you blame people for anticipating an actual new F-Zero announcement and being VERY disappointed when it's a F-Zero X re-release? (better yet a standalone F-Zero X purchased seperately from a Virtual Console version you might already own?) I don't see how Square get's a free pass here. At the very least even if it's not entirely on them they should have realized that showing FFVII's rerelease in this way is a little tactless.

I think if Nintendo put the F-Zero X logo up on stage and said "We really liked F-Zero X for N64", I wouldn't assume they were leading into "We're spending tens of millions of dollars to make a brand new F-Zero game exclusively for Wii U even though we've spent the last 5 years talking about our changing software strategy, our increasingly selective portfolio, the fact that we need outside developers to help with lower-level franchises because we can't spare the manpower, the Wii U's relatively poor hardware install base which is fine for major megaton games but might hurt lower profile stuff". And I wouldn't call it trolling if they didn't.

For me, Square Enix "gets a free pass" because the logic of this thread is "I want a remake, so it's trolling that I didn't get one". I do not believe that a CG tech demo that was made the better part of a decade ago that they announced as a CG tech demo is reason to expect a full price full budget remake the better part of a decade later for a different system.

If the worst people can accuse SE of is that they were tone deaf to just how crazy their fans are, then I think that's praising by faint damning.

A PlayStation One game shouldn't have been a main stage moment of a big event like this. I know Square wasn't trolling people, but we are living in an HD-port-age with GTAV, Last of Us, etc.

It wasn't crazy for peoples first thoughts to be "holy shit, it's happening" when that logo popped up. HD remakes are the norm right now, not PSOne ports.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I didn't assume it because I am not crazy and I know that SE has struggled with development, that the bulk of their staff are tied up in the existing white whale projects they've been chasing for a decade, and that they weren't magically going to have 300+ people working in secret on a fan fever dream rather than a new product.

When the logo came up, my immediate reaction was "oh, FF7 PSX playable on PS4. Wonder if they're using Gaikai or they've got the emulator running? Wouldn't streaming like 5 minutes of the game actually be more bandwidth than just downloading it?" The fact that it's an actual port was a pleasant surprise, honestly.

It's a terrible port though. I'd much rather play the PS1 Classic version on PS3/Vita.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

But what if the fans and SE are both crazy.

h01hCpt.jpg

They are

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was jumping up and down while my wife looked at me.

And then it hit me "wait...why do they keep showing the old game? Aren't they going to transition to the remade graph....no....no....my God. No. NOT A PORT. WHAT THE FUCK!?!? FUCK YOU!"

it was beautifully executed as a troll. If they'd have announced and said it was a port straight away, then ok. But like you say, they showed the old version with text describing how fondly it is remembered, and you're waiting for that fade transition to the amazing new remastered graphics. And it never comes.

That seed of doubt starts small and you try and hold it back but it slowly grows bigger and bigger until you can't ignore the reality - its a shitty port with almost no attention or love paid to it. And the worst thing is - they think that is worth shouting about.

Stumpokapow has given me more than enough reason to not be upset and to not have freaked out and been over-hyped.

...but I'm still irrationally pissed.

Jawmuncher

Sorry Stump you might have been able to keep expectations in check.
But I see no issues with how the masses interpreted that reveal.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I am here to announce that you guys can play a game that came out in the 90's, exclusively on PS4, in several months time. Disregard the fact that you can play it right now on 4 different platforms if you really wanted to and the differences would be negligible.

Please be excited.

quickfire13

Neo Member
I'll put it to you this way.

I don't even like Final Fantasy (FFVII was the only one I played as a kid and I was too young for nostalgia to set in).

I was audibly saying 'No Fucking Way' when he started his announcement. Towards the end I was crushed for all of you.

Troll: Best/10
Hype: 0/10
Satisfaction: Fuck Square(and Sony for allowing it)/10

Top Bottom