• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was that the greatest troll in the history of the industry? (FFVII)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why would Square purposely look to incite rage like this. Its insane. Surely a metric ton of people said "this is a bad idea. Just soft-launch/announce it. Don't...don't get up on a stage and pull that shit ARE YOU CRAZY"

lemmykoopa

when they were showing the old gameplay I was expecting them to transition to the 'new' graphics to show the leap in graphics but alas that never happened.

Conezays

I'm fine without a remake being made personally, but I totally thought they were showing "old" footage and then going to show the new footage in contrast. Seems like a really overblown announcement for what has been available on PS3/Vita/PSP for years, etc.

StarVigil

9XFQ5lt.gif

He came to Vegas for this.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It was pretty pathetic, but I loved it.

Can't stand people who ask for ultra expensive remakes when we could be getting new games instead.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm still laughing. The lead in with all the nostalgia, getting everyone excited, building tension and then BOOM there's your PS4 EXCLUSIVE PC PORT OF THE SAME GAME YOU PLAYED 17 YEARS AGO!!! Are you happy now??

It was masterfully executed. Squaretroll, TrollEnix.

hahhhhahha reading this made me laugh

maybe if wasn't such a bad thing!

now we all have a memory together....forever.

Really though, why fly all the way over there to announce you're rereleasing a 15 year old game? What an utterly pointless waste of time. At least show another trailer for XV or something.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Lock this thread asap. We need everyone to go to the other thread. >:D

Man that got me. The hypeness was so real. The music was pumping. The wait for the next gen graphics was intense. And then.........pc port...i couldn't even get mad at first.

It was beautifully executed, that I must say. But it tarnished what was an "ok" conference to a "meh" one to me. Only Uncharted 4 and Yakuza news were good, the rest was crap.

Shredderi

Why the fuck did they do this? Why such a big fucking ceremony for a port of the original game? I'm not mad about them not remaking the game, I'm fucking furious about them pulling this off at an event like this. What the fuck where thinking that people would expect when they put "FINAL FANTASY VII" on the screen. Ruined the whole damn thing for me. Haven't actually been this angry at anything in months.

It was amazing.

Just...wow... holy shit, even I was excited for VII R after the Please be excited-dude came on the stage...and then they showed VII footage.

Zoe

As soon as he said "17 years ago" I knew a letdown would be coming. There's no way they would do something that big when it's not their own milestone.

Theoris

Neo Member
The worst thing for me is that a move like this hints that PS1 upscale emulation of current psn purchases isn't something likely to be in the pipeline. Oh well, thanks for the chatter on twitch GAF, very entertaining at times.

It has to be. His delivery of the troll move was perfect.

Seriously its like SE knew they were trolling the world and loved every second of it.

If it was a troll, who was doing the trolling? Certainly not Square Enix, who have done nothing to cultivate the expectations for a remake. Fans trolled themselves, another one of the ten thousand dumb collective hype train delusions they've been prey to.

you're right, it's all on the hyped. Square Enix had no idea what they were doing with their PS3 tech demo showing 10 years ago. They had no idea that FFVII has real impact to a lot of people and that that kind of news would excite people like no other. And they understandably must not have known that never once addressing it since then would not kill it off in people's hearts. They're totally ignorant to the power and cultural relevance of their own franchises...

... oh my god, I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic or accurate anymore.

I wasn't expecting Remake at all, but when that logo and trailer started I started believing lolol You just don't do something like that LOL

That's what makes it a master troll!

Socreges

Banned
People actually think this was a self-aware troll rather than patented incompetence?

Also, what this guy said:

If it was a troll, who was doing the trolling? Certainly not Square Enix, who have done nothing to cultivate the expectations for a remake. Fans trolled themselves, another one of the ten thousand dumb collective hype train delusions they've been prey to.

sono

Gold Member
I am dead.

our hype train is wrecked

Agreed. That was really poor judgement on someones behalf. That game is like the core of the temple of the core of the temple for gamers and we have been asking for HD remake since forever. And they announce a PS4 port of a PC port of an upscaled version of the original.. They could just release that on PSN with the other average quality stuff, rather than announce it here.

You have to admit though, the way that was handled was ridiculous. Showing off the FFVII logo first and foremost was insane. There's no way anyone, despite expectations at any level, would not assume a remake at that point.

Post-trailer reactions are obviously dependent on how much hype was shown, but still that was a plain troll, no way around it.

chadboban

My heart started beating out o myf chest for that one. I actually started hyperventilating a bit. Then I saw the footage and was like "Okay they're probably gonna show us the old game then blow us away when they switch to the remake". But it never came and it's probably the most pissed off the I have ever been at an announcement. EVER!

Rflagg

At first I was like holy crap this is the biggest news ever, then I got the kicked in the nuts feeling when I realized it was just a port.

Edit:
You have to admit though, the way that was handled was ridiculous. Showing off the FFVII logo first and foremost was insane. There's no way anyone, despite expectations at any level, would not assume a remake at that point.

Post-trailer reactions are obviously dependent on how much hype was shown, but still that was a plain troll, no way around it.
I know this was true for me I didn't go into this event expecting a ff7 remake, but when I saw the logo I was like is this real life.

Pilgrimzero

Let's be realistic here, this won't hurt the sales of the new big FF game. As much of a troll as this was, fans tend to forgive and forget.

Mr. RHC

Yeah. Square Enix still ether'd us hard.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
when they were showing the old gameplay I was expecting them to transition to the 'new' graphics to show the leap in graphics but alas that never happened.

same. and then when i realized the graphics weren't changing and it was just a port....haha...such disbelief SE would do that. haha

i don't care either way, since VII isnt my favorite, but SE really does hate their fanbase

Agreed. That was really poor judgement on someones behalf. That game is like the core of the temple of the core of the temple for gamers and we have been asking for HD remake since forever. And they announce a PS4 port of a PC port of an upscaled version of the original..

Wait, so you're telling me that this is confirmed separate from the already existing PS Classics version of FF7 that people already own for PSP/PS3/PS Vita?

...nope, can't act surprised. Fucking Square Enix. Knowing them it'll probably cost a lot more than the other versions too. And knowing Square's core fanbase there will be NO reason for shit to change because the way these dudes work they probably already got their money out.

I was expecting the old footage to....idk burst like a crystal and reform into VII R the whole time through.

I can´t . Oh my, that was amazing.
ralph-heartbreak-o.gif

"And this is the moment when millions of VII-fans´ hearts were broken!"

Top Bottom