• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was that the greatest troll in the history of the industry? (FFVII)

gwiz210

In my head when I think of Square's higher ups for some reason my head always pulls the image of the Shinra executives sitting around that table in their boardroom and never has that felt more right than today.

This was so good. :D

I admit that they definitely had me for a solid 5 seconds. They started showing the footage of the original game, and for those few seconds I thought "OK, when is it going to go full screen and show the remake/remaster?" But after several more scenes I realized it wasn't going to happen and just laughed.

What WOULD have legitimately excited me (even with this troll move) was if they announced FF7: Crisis Core for PS4 or Vita as well. It's such a great game and I hate that it seems forever stuck as a physical only PSP game. I know there's supposedly some song licensing issue with the game now (or so I've heard) that would make it tough to re-release or remake, but I wish they'd spend the effort on it.

A-V-B

In my head when I think of Square's higher ups for some reason my head always pulls the image of the Shinra executives sitting around that table in their boardroom and never has that felt more right than today.

RATE HIKE! RATE HIKE! Ohhh, maaannn...

This and Persona 5 were the biggest annoyances of PSX by far. Hilarious, too - I was laughing so hard at FFVII whilst reading forum views.

To give Square Enix the time of day to even announce this on that stage was a bit embarrassing, just like the time "Please be excited" happened.SE embarrass themselves and I feel like they embarrass Sony, too.

The mention of P5 "following the Japanese launch" seemed pretty obvious, honestly. So that, with no new video was annoying. Couple this with the way in which Boyes delivered this segment getting Vita hopes up was just a bit "ehh".

Overall, I give these moments my official stamp of:

Master Troll

Domstercool

Why do people actually want a remake of that game.

Let it stay in 1997 where it is innocent and beautiful.

I don't get this. If you don't want it, go play the 1997 version. It's not like people are making you play a remake, but let those people have an option, and Square Enix the money.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hilarious, cant believe they flew Hashimoto out to announce this.

You can't have a disappointing SE announcement without the face of SE disappointment!

I can't believe they would do this after the "please be excited" meme either. Wow. The tone deafness. It'd be like bringing back Ravi Drums to announce Wii Music 2. Or Don Matrick to announce the Kinect was mandatory again.

Yeah...now way this is the planned master trolling some people in here want it to be.
This is just square seriously expecting people to lose their mind over a port of an old popular game.

Then again...I guess they kinda did. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah...now way this is the planned master trolling some people in here want it to be.
This is just square seriously expecting people to lose their mind over a port of an old popular game.

Then again...I guess they kinda did. :p
"Trolling" clearly gives them too much credit.

Spectacularly tone deaf is the way I'd put it.

Turin

Banned
Meh. I don't think I could handle seeing them ruin VII with a remake, especially if they decide to go the route of fugly AC appearances.

I agree that the AC looks were mostly trash but I think we're on opposite ends as far as what direction they should go in. :p

Also, Square doesn't have the balls to make it as dark as it'd need to be(not to mention they'd bitch out on Barret's potty mouth). FFVII got away with a lot of things on the PS1.

kmax

Square Enix must really hate their fans. I didn't know that they'd have the guts to do it, but wow, they completely smacked their hardcore fans with a sledge hammer.

Troll level: 10/10

tumblr_lrs9mtry7Z1r1thdeo1_400.gif

warthog

Wow. I missed the keynote and I'm glad I did. Would have been pretty devastating to watch this comedy drama unfold live. This wasn't the best way to bring this "news".

ZeroX03

Banned
All this announcement did was push one of my less intelligent acquaintances to awful conclusions:

This is it. This is confirmation the FF7 remake is happening. They're testing the waters on PS4, XV was their prototype for a futuristic world and they'll have the full remake ready for 2017. I'm telling you Square are going to come through.

I kept telling him to was absurd but he's well and truly convinced this PC port is the gateway to a full remake.

RaijinFY

I wonder what's going to happen if FFXV ends up as disappointing as FFXIII.... I think no one will believe them capable to make a decent new FF and they will be forced to remake FFVII.

Yep that's exactly how I see them. We need an AVALANCH to save us.

FFVII yesterday is top of my list now but Geoff is rapidly climbing that list for me. He said at the Game Awards live on air that GTAV on PS4 would be discounted for the weekend as part of a PSX PSN sale. I've been waiting all weekend to pick that up Geoff, where is this sale!!!!

Bashtee

I wonder what's going to happen if FFXV ends up as disappointing as FFXIII.... I think no one will believe them capable to make a decent new FF and they will be forced to remake FFVII.

And fuck this up, too. I wonder what SE is doing these days. Besides ports. Whish they did Crisis Core :( or put it at least on PSN for Vita support.

Something in me believes they will pull it off like Bioware, and redeem themselves... maybe

But.. this is a different beast here. And I'm not so sure about their last few games

Hastati

All this announcement did was push one of my less intelligent acquaintances to awful conclusions:

I kept telling him to was absurd but he's well and truly convinced this PC port is the gateway to a full remake.

U4OkO6w.gif

Wow. That's impressive. A certain percentage of their fanbase completely broke a number of years ago, and spend their days talking to the clouds in a perpetual state of be excited. It all makes me want to crawl in a hole and stay there for awhile, thinking of nothing but peaceful, real things, like the pleasant bounce of pudding, or the brief but intimate joy of waves licking your toes in the sand.

SE, where the hell is your S&M RPG? In a slightly different genre, you'd be gods!!

Mr Swine

Banned
Haha, when I saw them showing FF7 I told my sister that Sony has won the console wars in Japan but then it was just a port... "Nope"

It was either a carefully devised troll, or them being completely out of touch with their fanbase. Either way, the end result was something for the history books.

SPAW

It's nice to see that fans are starting to get some grasp of reality: SE have obviously crunched the numbers and decided against a full-remake. Instead they are moving on with creating new interesting FF-games such as XV. For that I am very grateful.

The only thing we would have gotten from a remake would be endless battles over "the lost the essence", they should have left/taken out the battle system, the art has changed/should have changed and so on.

So, overall this was a wise decision, even if the delivery was troll to the max (!).

The only thing we would have gotten from a remake would be endless battles over "the lost the essence", they should have left/taken out the battle system, the art has changed/should have changed and so on.

This.

I have never understood why so many people are convinced that SE would do right by a FFVII remake while constantly bitching about other games they make or the overall direction of the company in recent years. Hell, I fully expect the internet to tear itself apart if the FFXV demo isn't absolutely stupendous in every way.

It's nice to see that fans are starting to get some grasp of reality: SE have obviously crunched the numbers and decided against a full-remake. Instead they are moving on with creating new interesting FF-games such as XV. For that I am very grateful.

So, overall this was a wise decision, even if the delivery was troll to the max (!).
Your giving se too much credit. Its the same company thats been remaking porting or creating ff games to mobiles as well as other ips. Square enix wants money first and foremost so lets not pretend like theyre moving forward.

dmr87

Just curious. Do the FFVII mega fans want a remake or a reskin?

If it ever happens I don't expect some kind of super-remake that rivals FFXV in terms of graphics. Just need a re-touch like some of the fanmade mods, and go over the translation again.

I never actually cared for a VII remake myself because VII is one of my least favorite entries of the series, but I can understand the pain. I just heard about this last night and saw the vid just now and it seemed like they did this shit on purpose. I don't ever recall them making a big announcement for a port of any of the older games.

I still don't understand why they won't do it? You know how much many they'd make off of that? The longer they wait, the less profit they'd make off of it.

SPAW

Your giving se too much credit. Its the same company thats been remaking porting or creating ff games to mobiles as well as other ips. Square enix wants money first and foremost so lets not pretend like theyre moving forward.

That is why I said that they have crunched the numbers and found out that the risk does not outweigh the gains. A conclusion that is perfectly reasonable. Instead they have decided on bringing us FFXV and KH3, projects that demand a high degree of resources, time, and manpower. So let's not go around saying stuff like all SE does is publishing remakes.

That is why I said that they have crunched the numbers and found out that the risk (possible gains vs loss) does not outweigh the gains. A conclusion that is perfectly reasonable.
No i meant that theyre moving on to make interesting ff games. Unless all the bravest is interesting.

dramatis

I didn't see the stream but I was reading posts and people were typing shit such as "FF7!!!" and I was just thinking it was a port and then somebody else typed "FF7 remake!!" and the first thought that popped in my head "that sounds like more trouble than it's worth". I never saw the words ff7 and just leapt to some conclusion about a remake
anyhoo, the point is anybody I find who automatically jumped to the conclusion it was a remake right away and then got angry to be really really silly, and kind of embarrassing
Probably because you were just reading chat and forum posts.

I never believed a remake would happen purely because I don't think it's going to be profitable if developed the way fans want it to be, and also because I don't want one. However, on the livestream, the manner in which Hashimoto was presenting, the way they popped out the FF7 logo, talking about history and returns, I actually thought for a moment, in half-disbelief, "Are they actually doing it?!"

I think what caught a lot of people, perhaps even those who didn't want a remake or didn't think a remake would happen, is just that one moment where we wanted to believe. Of course, it sounds silly, but a lot of us are still fans because we still feel something great can happen.

Top Bottom