• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the wait for Crash Bandicoot 4 worth it, and would you recommend buying it now?

I will come out with it and say I did not buy Crash Bandicoot 4 because I was concerned Activision botched it. N.Trilogy were good remakes but they just build off old code and the developers didn't really create a remake from scratch, but when it came time for Activision to try things on their own we have the poorly supported, Crash Nitro Fueled filled with Microtransactions so I tuned out. Further complicating matters, I see many copies of Crash Bandicoot 4 in stores, sometimes with piles of extra cases in separate cabinets which gives the impression the game didn't do very well in sales.

I wanted to hear from people who played the game to see if I made a mistake tuning it out. Was this game worth waiting for and did Activision do the series justice? Alternatively, was I right tuning the game out, and Activision did ruin what could have been a great sequel continuing the momentum from the remakes?

Longtime Crash fan here and strongly recommend Crash 4.

And it’s still just as hard as The Rock’s nuts, perhaps harder.

But sweet Jesus that platinum grind 😵‍💫

AndrewRyan

Really enjoying it. Bought it for the Switch but it's a little cramped on the small screen and only 30fps. Would recommend it for another platform if possible but game is outstanding.

Crash 4 is fantastic, and just might be the best Crash game ever made. It feels just as great to play by modern standards as the OG PS1 games did by 90’s standards.

I’d only advise you to avoid the Switch version at all costs. A tight platformer like this should not be played at 30fps.

bosnianpie

I have been playing since the originals and I really enjoy it, even though it took a while to get there. It's a bit frustrating since I went into Crash 4 with the mindset of being some kind of expert, forgetting that it's all new levels, enemies, bosses, puzzles etc. I got my ass kicked more than once and it took a while to get used to.

Once you get familiar with everything it's really fun, the worlds are beautiful and the new mask mechanics adds more variation to the platforming. With that said, if you're going for 106 %, it's brutal.

YCoCg

Was a PC version ever released? Did Activision ever do 60fps patches for this and N.Sane Trilogy/CTR/Spyro?

buenoblue

Game is amazing if your a crash fan. Rock hard even from the get go. I waited for 60fps on ps5 ant it was great. X

Fox Mulder

It’s fun and pretty, a great modern platformer to just enjoy.

As a numbered Crash sequel, I think they tried too hard to justify the $60 price with fluff and difficulty. I think the levels are too long and going for 106% is way too tedious and brutal.

TheRobot

Great game, took too many deaths to finish the last few missions, the only annoying things to me are the filters in the reverse missions which u can't disable and the checkpoint box which is usually much further between boxes compared to the originals.

It’s fun and pretty, a great modern platformer to just enjoy.

As a numbered Crash sequel, I think they tried too hard to justify the $60 price with fluff and difficulty. I think the levels are too long and going for 106% is way too tedious and brutal.
Are the levels in the main game actually harder than the other games, or is it only when trying for 100% that the game becomes hard?

mcjmetroid

I hated it at first but I grew to really like it.
It's a weird game. I think they made it too difficult to get all the boxes in a level.

You are never going to 100% this game.

But as a platformer trying to get through it casually. It's very good and worth it

Enjay

Banned
I wouldn't buy it, and I've loved all the crash games. It's like dkc64 rare made it with none of the good parts of dkc64.

Top Bottom