• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was there implied rape in Bayonetta 1 and 2? *spoilers*

Afrocious

...at least, I'm having a difficult time seeing that attack Rodin does in both games as not rape considering the two are fighting and Bayonetta's kinda laying there with her back turned to the camera, which is probably the most vulnerable I've ever seen the character in either game.

I did a basic search for "bayonetta rape' but no threads, so I went and made this one. Gotta say I feel uncomfortable and kinda disgusted that two games I enjoyed to death have such content in it all tucked away in a secret boss fight.

Here's the video of it from the first game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6e1H8M8cgg

Here's a gif of it in the second game. I'd rather not embed it due to content: http://gfycat.com/SoreGiantBubblefish

I feel conflicted about this, and I'm disappointed ultimately. I don't see how either of these were seen as good ideas to have in the games.

Here's a gif of the same attack from bayonetta 2 except with a costume on. She's not naked in this one:
gqpcix.gif

Tweets from Kamiya in response:

Squishy3

TIL that Akuma is a rapist too.

In all seriousness, here is what actually happens during a raging demon, which is what that secret boss is doing.

"The user teleports both him/herself and the opponent into Hell, where both are viciously mauled by demons, each hit dealing a blow for past sins. The technique can kill not only the opponent, but also the user as well. Only true masters of the Satsui no Hadou can survive the technique without dying. As it turns out, Akuma's one of them."

Yeah that does make me uncomfortable, however he doesn't actually rape her. Looks like he just beats her really hard and humiliates her, which is something Bayonetta herself does to almost all her enemies. I see it as a bit of "the tables have turned" type attack rather than alluding to rape.

Mephala

It doesn't seem like rape to me. It reminds me of Akuma's super in Street Fighter. Bayonetta's nakedness is more due to being beaten so bad she temporarily lost control of her hair.

I think the main reason it doesn't feel like rape to me is because when the screen goes blank it has a very standard looking "I'm beating the shit out of you" hit sparks all over the place and again, it reminds me of Akuma's attack. Now that you mention it though I can clearly see how some would feel uncomfortable with this.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah that does make me uncomfortable, however he doesn't actually rape her. Looks like he just beats her really hard and humiliates her, which is something Bayonetta herself does to almost all her enemies. I see it as a bit of "the tables have turned" type attack rather than alluding to rape.
Yeah, I never jumped straight to rape from this.

Falk

that puzzling face
Call me insensitive for this somewhat devils advocate observation, but games also feature a lot of violent death.

I guess people who get killed aren't around anymore to be traumatized by being killed, though. :|

Razzorn34

It looks like a humiliation type of attack to me. Leaves her stripped down for a second. You are definitely reaching here.

EBE

well its certainly difficult to construe that in a way that isnt sexual
the suggestive pose of the male character, bayonetta, nude, on her side, rear facing toward the camera... its.... its something

maneil99

Disgusting, as someone dealing with a close friend and rape I will not be touching this game, was debating rebuying a Wii-U for a few exclusives, maybe not now.

Afrocious

He just hit her a bunch of times really quickly.

Jumping to rape is troubling, OP.

It's a thing to smoke a cigar/cigarette after having sex. However, my issue is how Bayonetta is pretty much dead and naked on the ground after getting hit with the attack once the picture comes back.

Nives

Neo Member
It's a character who has hair for clothing, losing control of it when beaten.

If you see such horrifying thing as a rape scene in this particular instance, it's disturbing for a lot of other reasons.

Is this the only boss this happens with? Doesn't she lose her hair suit if she loses all her HP and a continue screen appears?

Two Words

For those denying the rape reference, answer this. You are watching a movie. A scene starts with a man and a woman. They are laying on their sides, not facing each other. The woman is naked and you can see her ass. She's laying down in defeated fashion without any energy to get up. The man is facing the camera laying on his side, smoking a cigar and grinning.

What do you think this man and woman were doing?

Afrocious

Is this the only boss this happens with? Doesn't she lose her hair suit if she loses all her HP and a continue screen appears?

Nope.

She loses her hair/clothes when she's doing a finishing attack, which goes with Bayonetta's flamboyance and power. I'm trying to think of a time where intentionally she's naked and weak in either game.

The Rodin boss fight is amazing, but I dunno what to say about that attack, I actually laughed when it happened for the first time(mostly over the SF reference and seeing him not give a fuck in the floor) but I can see why it can bother others. I honestly hadn't even noticed the naked Bayonetta as I was focusing on Rodin.

Resilient

For those denying the rape reference, answer this. You are watching a movie. A scene starts with a man and a woman. They are laying on their sides, not facing each other. The woman is naked and you can see her ass. She's laying down in defeated fashion without any energy to get up. The man is facing the camera laying on his side, smoking a cigar and grinning.

What do you think this man and woman were doing?

Oh fuck off. It's a game where her hair is a demon which is her clothing, and she's fighting a demon from Hell, who uses a technique that has never been associated with rape before. Goal post moving at its finest.

DeanBDean

I know what that is, and that's apples and oranges. If she wasn't naked and Rodin wasn't smoking a cigar, then I'd buy it.

Right. I mean, the cigar really sells it. Bayonetta is naked a lot in these games, but the context of Rodin smoking is pretty damning

Oh fuck off. It's a game where her hair is a demon which is her clothing, and she's fighting a demon from Hell, who uses a technique that has never been associated with rape before. Goal post moving at its finest.

How is this moving the goalpost? I think the smoking and the position of the characters is the whole point of contention here. If you take the same actions and put them in a different context, the implication is clear. So why does the implication change because its a game?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wut?

So akuma, Ryu, Ken, chun li, charlie, asura and a host of other characters are rapists as well?

http://youtu.be/N5WdGE_nf0w

Its ridiculous how people try to find offense when there is none.

Also, after nearly 100 hours in Bayonetta 1, this is the first time im learning he had a raging demon in the first game too. I only fought rodin couple times though.
http://imgur.com/4Q0YxVf NSFW

This pose is definitely implying more than simple defeat. This is a really ridiculous thing to put into any video game, parody or not.

Top Bottom