• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington cancels training of NATO ally's F-35 pilots over Ankara's planned purchase of Russian S-400 missiles

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

The United States said it is winding down Turkey's involvement in its F-35 stealth fighter jet programme over Ankara's plans to buy a Russian air defence system that could pose a danger to the aircraft.

US officials announced on Monday that Washington had halted the training of Turkish pilots on F-35 fighters at an airbase in the US state of Arizona.

The move at Luke Air Force Base comes faster than expected, days after acting US defence chief Patrick Shanahan told his Turkish counterpart their pilots already in the country could remain until the end of July.

Washington gave Ankara a July deadline to make its decision over buying the Russian S-400 missile system. The US says Turkey's missile defence acquisition from Russia poses a threat to Lockheed Martin's F-35 stealth fighters, which Ankara also wants to buy.

Washington says Turkey cannot have both.
Wait a minute here, how can a NATO memeber buy Russian equipment? Do other NATO memebers do this or what? I mean I know the cold war is over but NATO was created to be a counter to the USSR. So how can a NATO member buy Russian weapons?
Someone can correct me I guess if other countries in NATO do this but it seems kinda against the point of NATO?

May 22, 2018
The US sells weapons to its own enemies so I don't see why its so shocking that a NATO country would buy weapons from one of its enemies.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
S400 is a major demarche by Erdogan.
So, booting him from F-35 access is deserved.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
They are bargaining. Erdogan is a turk and they love bargaining + politics. Nothing new here.

Last edited:

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
The US sells weapons to its own enemies so I don't see why its so shocking that a NATO country would buy weapons from one of its enemies.
The US is probably worried that Russia will be allowed to monitor/test the S400 system in Turkey alongside the F-35. I imagine they see it as a National security risk and not simply Turkey buying something from Russia.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The US is probably worried that Russia will be allowed to monitor/test the S400 system in Turkey alongside the F-35. I imagine they see it as a National security risk and not simply Turkey buying something from Russia.
The s400 is an anti aircraft weapon system. I think the Russians would be very interested to know the intimate details on how well the s400 can counteract the F-35's.

It would be a giant security risk IMO.

Reactions: desertdroog

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
The US flies F35's over syria where Russia operates the S400. So that argument is nonsense.

This was all about strong arming turkey into buying US anti-air systems. Turkey wouldn't bend.

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
The US flies F35's over syria where Russia operates the S400. So that argument is nonsense.

This was all about strong arming turkey into buying US anti-air systems. Turkey wouldn't bend.
Being able to test the system under controlled conditions is an entirely different thing. If Turkey allowed it, it could give Russia the opportunity to test its missiles system against the F-35 in any scenario it wanted. That's invaluable information you aren't getting in Syria.

Now is this why this is happening? I donno. Who knows whats going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam