• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington post: Investors want MS to kill Xbox

Tex117

Banned
The XBOX One was always designed to fight multiple wars for the living room. It was designed to fight Sony and Apple. Hence why yes, it play games (fighting Sony), it is a multimedia device (fighting Apple).

The XBOX One cannot be viewed as a standalone product but out of the entire ecosystem of Microsoft and how it relates.

For some people, it will be a good answer to their living room entertainment needs. For others it wont.

I can understand Bing and maybe Surface, but Xbox?

What's the profit/loss of the Xbox Division?

100-billion-dollars-276x300(1).jpg

I think the Xbox division represents a lot of opportunity cost and winning the living room isn't as important as it once was. I don't think Microsoft should kill it off (or sell it) but I don't think they should spend nearly as much money on that division. Just put out a Halo box every five years and reap cash in return, whatever.

LeleSocho

Banned
Sell it to Nintendo so they'll have back Rare IPs, more first party studios to make western stuff that generates lots of money with ips like forza and halo and an high performance console... everyone wins.

ymmv

Banned
Xbox isn't a problem like Bing or Surface, which are actively pissing away cash. Xbox is a distraction. Investors who are critical of MS aren't arguing that Xbox is a money pit, they're arguing that Xbox is taking away focus and tying up capital that could be use on more lucrative projects and programs. Basically, when you're a company that has multiple ten+ billion dollar profit market segments, why play around with 1 billion dollar market profit segments?

The investors are right. It made sense for Sony to create a games console, it fits in with their other products (TVs, HiFi, DVD/Blu-Ray players, ereaders, etc etc). But it doesn't make much sense for MS to create a games console when their focus is on business software, operating systems for phones, desktops, tablets and servers. Setting up a cloud server infrastructure makes sense because software is going to the cloud. But what was the idea of creaging a MS branded games console? Because MS wants to sell TVs and Blu-Ray movies? It never made much sense for MS to enter the console space.

Sydle

No investor is asking MS to give up consumers.

Investors want MS to reach consumers through what they're best at, aka software. Not hardware.

They want MS to put Office, Outlook into everything. They want MS's services to be pervasive into every inch of the technology, regardless whether or not it's Android or iOS.

Once upon a time, they could leverage the fact that they owned a large part of the technology space to push exclusivity of hardware ( PC with Windows ) + software (Office, etc), but investors are seeing that it's impossible for MS to overthrow Android/iOS, so they want MS to get in bed with them instead of trying to switch customers over to Surface.

Which would essentially be giving up consumers. Google and Apple have alternative offerings for just about everything Microsoft does, with their own ecosystems where it's just more convenient to have one service as opposed to many. In each of those ecosystems Google and Apple have the advantage of how they market to their users and get them further ingrained to their products.

If Google and Apple didn't have a portfolio to threaten nearly every part of Microsoft I'd agree with you.

Xbox is and has been about far more than the Xbox hardware for a few years now. Yeah, they're slow at realizing that all-in-one entertainment service, but you can get Xbox games, video, and music on any Windows 8 device. Entertainment is moving to the cloud and ecosystems will rule. There will be mountains of money to make off of people buying, selling, trading, and renting digital entertainment. Someday, when streaming tech and internet delivery are more mature, it's reasonable to assume Microsoft will offer an Xbox service that is device agnostic.

x-Lundz-x

I could only imagine a future where Sony buys the xbox division. Would finally not have to worry about having to buy two consoles for the games I want to play.

Never happen though just imagining. :)

Amneisac

Nintendo should buy Xbox.

Shore up their big weaknesses.

Yeah, this clearly won't happen, but they could certainly afford it and I'd actually be very interested to see what Nintendo first party developers would work with Kinect. They might actually make something for it that didn't totally suck, at least if the tech is up to it. I'm still not impressed with either Kinect so far.

I never understood why MS even tried to get into the console business. They already had the PC why not push that as a games and media center platform. Their core business has always been PC software so why let that rot with half assed garbage like GFWL while they tried to get into the console business with no real experience at console hardware?

Earendil

On the Devices side, it's one of the stronger revenue generators (billions). I don't think Surface and Windows Phone are anywhere close yet.

With Nadella at the helm, and Gates at his side, there is just no chance of this happening. Both of them believe that productivity and entertainment are key to Microsoft's future, with devices that enable innovative experiences (premium hardware), and Xbox is their only entertainment brand.

If MS gives into business only then Amazon, Google, and Apple will eat away at everything Microsoft does that much easier. I get why investors want it, but it's a really fucking stupid idea for the longevity of Microsoft.

That's the thing though. Most investors do not care about long term strategy. They want to make money now (rightfully so). However, the idea of investors dictating a companies direction is a mistake. Nadella and the board need to do what is best for the long term viability of the company. Personally, I don't care either way as I've never owned an Xbox, but I can at least see that listening to the whims of investors is retarded.

just picked up a pro 2 myself...the thing is a beast, loving it.

I'm considering it for my wife. She doesn't do anything on a daily basis that a tablet cannot handle, except that some of the things she uses for teaching are Flash based. That is the only thing holding me back.

It's just such a blip in the grand scope of MS business, it's profitable (unlike Bing) but its not like getting rid of it would be devastating to the company.

ibwZfA3GcGgnbb.png

Why in god's name is bing still in existence? The continued support of that is the craziest thing I've seen corporate wise for some time

Sell it to Nintendo so they'll have back Rare IPs, more first party studios to make western stuff that generates lots of money with ips like forza and halo and an high performance console... everyone wins.

Didn't all the original rare people leave? Not the same studio as the n64 days...

DrZeus

Surface Pro 2 looks awesome. Xbox division being sold off eventually was hinted at was it not at some point? New CEO not a believer in the brand or something. The Samsung rumor is interesting. Is Bing still paying people to use it? I need to get on that. :/

Gorillaz

I never understood why MS even tried to get into the console business. They already had the PC why not push that as a games and media center platform. Their core business has always been PC software so why let that rot with half assed garbage like GFWL while they tried to get into the console business with no real experience at console hardware?

TL: DR answer, to slow down Sonys reign in the 90s and to stop them from taking over the living room

Microsoft has much more profit out there in the enterprise and web hosting/cloud markets. I think they won't kill the brands outright. Rather, they will give support to those product when those products incidentally line up with their bigger plans.

For instance, don't be surprised to see Microsoft offer "the light switch" option to activate all the constantly-on stuff for Xbox One a few years down the road, sans the game DRM which would be a nightmare to activate recursively, so they simply will skip that option. But it won't be for the sake of gaming (even if they sell it as such). It'll be to integrate consumers with their network. Remember, the bedrock of Microsoft is now advertisers, advertisers, advertisers. Until the new CEO says otherwise, I'm going to assume that is still the case.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Can't they just study and copy Sony's strategy and make money off of the gaming business?

Probably not the best company to model yourself after. Sony took an absolute beating in the mid-2000s on their Playstation business.

The problem is, game systems by their nature are a bad business model. Spend billion on R&D and Tech on a system. Hope that the bet pays off and in the long-run your licensing fees and software sales will offset costs. Oh, and the business has like a 5 year shelf-life before you have to start that process over again.

It creates a problem (that Nintendo is now facing, and MS and Sony have certainly faced with the Xbox, Playstation 3 and to some extent the early write offs for rrod for 360). You bet on a loser that more or less necessitates that you expend billions MORE hoping to make back the billions you already invested. Once you are in a console business you are pot-commited to get it back.

So, if you are lagging behind internal targets you have a few choices: cut console price, buy exclusives, market beyond your inital budget, open studios to create critical content. None of these are sure things and several of them take years to bear fruit.

It's certainly not a unique situation to the console business, but when you factor in rising costs for everything and shrinking margins it is easy to see why a lot of investors would want to cut bait and run to the safety of divisions that are already generating insane profits to reinvest there.

rob305

The OG Xbox was a mess, the 360 was profitable after the first years (R&D, extensive marketing, higher production costs etc). But the profit is still minimal compared to the enterprise branches which is why I actually understand the shareholders point of view.

Vlade

Yeah, this clearly won't happen, but they could certainly afford it and I'd actually be very interested to see what Nintendo first party developers would work with Kinect. They might actually make something for it that didn't totally suck, at least if the tech is up to it. I'm still not impressed with either Kinect so far.

imho, kinect 2 is, technically, AMAZING. Someone should really figure out something fun to do with it.

Bsigg12

Why in god's name is bing still in existence? The continued support of that is the craziest thing I've seen corporate wise for some time

Bing isn't going anywhere. They're baking it into Windows OS and Windows Phone. It's crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing their 10 year roadmap for Bing to see why they still keep it.

Which would essentially be giving up consumers. Google and Apple have alternative offerings for just about everything Microsoft does, with their own ecosystems where it's just more convenient to have one service as opposed to many. In each of those ecosystems Google and Apple have the advantage of how they market to their users and get them further ingrained to their products.

If Google and Apple didn't have a portfolio to threaten nearly every part of Microsoft I'd agree with you.

Eh, the future of Microsoft isn't through consumers, IMO. If they don't fight off the attacks on Windows (which smartphones/tablets represent) and the attacks on Office/Exchange (which Google is waging pretty successfully) they don't HAVE a future, Xbox or no Xbox.

Phediuk

We're at a weird inroad here where all three manufacturers' futures look uncertain. MS investors want to abandon the Xbox, Sony's teetering on bankruptcy, and Nintendo's audience has evaporated. I could see any of the three companies pulling out of the business entirely in the next 3 years or so.

Maybe this really will be the last console generation.

Despite all the Xbox sales, has Microsoft ever made a penny in profit from system? If I'm an investor I'd also want them to kill it

Econ 101... it's not just about turning a profit, but economic cost.

Let's say Bob makes pizzas. Bob makes a decent amount on making pizzas, but Bob also has a medical doctorate (he's a very overqualified pizza maker). He COULD invest 300k into opening a couple more pizza chains that would break even and start turning a profit in 10 years... Or he could take that money and open up a couple practices and make back that money and turn a profit in 1-2 years.

Both are technically "profitable" in the long haul, but one is substantially MORE profitable. In this case maybe Bob just likes making pizzas more and thus doesn't care... but Microsoft isn't run by Bob. Microsoft is run by a board of directors and investors... they don't care if Microsoft has more "fun" playing with consoles, tablets, or search engines... that money COULD be being used to make MUCH MORE money elsewhere.

Con_Smith

Banned
Instead of them cutting the Xbox I'd much rather see them loose a little access to the MS warchest. Make them hungry enough to stop moneyhatting third parties and focus on building brands in-house.

Bring back some of those Xbox and 360 titles and put these studios you claim to have faith in on those. Maybe bring your studios together ala Sony to make things shine and highlight what makes the One special. They way their going now though is doing more harm to their brand and the industry and if they can't fix that then they deserve to be spun off.

I wonder who they could sell the brand to.....Amazon?

It is surprisingly incredibly unprofitable......and they threw billions at RandD for X1 so it will take years before costs are made up

I read that as a word and was wondering what in the world 'randy' was; I usually see it appreviated R&D.

McHuj

I'd be ok with Amazon buying Xbox and selling it as their console, but I'm not sure if I would trust any other company to.

Certainly not Samsung, I think their software/firmware support for consumer products blows. And I think it would be awful for Xbox.

I think if an investment firm would buy it, they would make the microtransactions in Forza seem like a good deal.

If I was an investor I would want them to kill it also.

I'm not an investor though. I'm a customer. If they kill off the xb1 prematurely I will be livid. It will be the last MS product I buy.

I don't think they will. They pay lip service to investors but chart their own course and I think they still see the upside to having a box in people's living room even if as a whole the xbox division has lost them money.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
This isn't really anything new. It's the same two shareholders that have been wanting this for a while; it's just suddenly news again because Nadella's been announced as the new CEO. Nadella's already said he's keen on carrying on with the devices and services approach so I can't see anything coming from this. At least not for many years anyway.
Yup. Article feels like clickbait to me.

Mandoric

Banned
You know I understand the huge losses on the 360 but they're a profitable division now, right?

They were. OTOH, if we trust their own numbers, the billion-dollar marketing push alone eats all the profit they'd have seen in one of the 360's best years, and 360 sales have fallen off.

MS's problem isn't that they don't know how to make a console business that could be profitable, it's that they spend far more getting them there than the competition.

It probably has the biggest upside of all their products, so they'll keep faith in it for a while yet.

I can't imagine they have much marketshare though. Besides maybe window phone users I don't know anyone that uses it regularly and while that's entirely subjective personal experience the numbers for it look abysmal

Bing isn't going anywhere. They're baking it into Windows OS and Windows Phone. It's crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing their 10 year roadmap for Bing to see why they still keep it.

Seems odd to me considering what the losses are like. They burn through money with Bing and I don't see the returns now or in the future with google still in play

Yup. Article feels like clickbait to me.

That's why I put article excerpts. Felt click-baity to me as well

Pillville

from Wikipedia:
The team hoped to create a console to compete with the Sony's upcoming PlayStation 2, which was luring game developers away from the Windows platform.

Top Bottom