• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Sony and Nintendo are not in-step with how the rest of the software industry works

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Well, they don't have to be in-step with everyone else. They are a large, self-sufficient part of this industry for 30 years (and some). 🤷‍♀️
Their approach to business is one of the factors that allows them to keep that part.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
All these PS4/PS5 devs coming out of the wood work.
Id really love to know what significant reworking is needed to port a PS4 game to PS5.

As for higher asset quality, that really is a none issue for most if not all devs.
They already have high polys in the back room, they already have 4K+ textures created, editing the lighting or whatever isnt back breaking work when the game is already a shippable title.
Needing to rebake assets isnt exactly going to kill any member of the arts team....heck Ill bet alot of them keep some high quality bakes just for portfolio work.

Unless the game is actually a different game like Forza Horizon 2 was then really this massive rework narrative is nonsense.....but lets keep defending it.

Oh boy, th defence force is on point today.

In the world of video games in 2021, there is no justification for charging for "next gen upgrades". Period. Platform recompilations are trivial, and its clear that Sony is hoping people's lack of understanding on this gets done will let them milk their customers. This is simply Sony picking its hill to die on; Sony wants to establish the USD$70.00 price point for its games, because it knows if it can just get people to accept it, the long term financial gain significantly outweighs the short term bad press they'll endure in the process. Sony played the PS4 generation as "for the players" and build a mountain of goodwill. Now, it wants to cash in and get paid.

On the other front, looking at backwards compatibility, Nintendo has been putting in zero effort in maintaining its historical catalogue of games for decades. Its fans do more via emulation and preservation than Nintendo has ever done. And this is because Nintendo knows it doesn't have to, and that people will pay whatever they want. They treat their games like Disney does with the Disney Vault; utilising FOMO and artificial scarcity, they can charge premium prices for decades old games and everyone just accepts it because there is no alternative.

In both cases, the PC space clowns both Sony and Nintendo's approaches - both to backwards compatibility and to "next gen upgrades". This shit straight up doesn't fly in the PC space, and PC gamers are right to laugh at this type of bold faced greed. To that end, Microsoft has once again simply brought the PC mentality to the console space, and as a result its backwards compatibility work is second to none, and its smart delivery system is now the gold standard for how this shit gets handled. All Microsoft had to do was implement PC-style handling of these things and they've instantly made fools of Nintendo and Sony on both fronts. It's good to see Sony and Nintendo taking heat for their outdated and antiquated approaches that no one should accept. Their fans shouldn't be defending USD$30.00 re-releases of old games they already own, or USD$10.00 "next gen upgrades". They should be demanding better.
Everyone is doing $70, including Microsoft.

ZehDon

I see you already played HFW and forgot the other enhancements to say MM like 60 FPS and Ray-tracing, DualSense haptics and dynamic triggers, and fast loading times or forget how those FPS and resolution only enhancements were actually free (see GoT, GoW, etc…).
In what way does these require a $10 upgrade when they already exist?

For your typical remastered re-release - like the Skyrim Special Edition, The Last of Us Remastered, Metro Redux, Homeworld Remastered, and so on - additional work was added to the game that did not exist when the game was originally made. That's why there's a price tag. When Spider-man Mile Morales was released... it had everything in it already. They didn't revisit the game and add in things that didn't exist - the "enhancements" you're speaking of aren't enhancements at all, they're the stock-standard features that were budgeted and paid for by the development that goes into the sticker price PlayStation gamers already paid when they bought the game. In what world should anyone pay more for features that already exist in the product they already paid for? Madness.

Everyone is doing $70, including Microsoft.
Except that they're not? Every announced game available from Microsoft for the Xbox Series X is priced AUD$100.00 (USD$60.00) or less. Every first party game announced by Sony for the PS5 is AUD$125.00 (USD$70.00). Even the cross-gen ones. Halo Infinite? AUD$100.00. Forza Horizon 5? AUD$100.00. Psychonauts 2 (On PS4 or Xbox)? AUD$100.00. As of today, I believe the only publisher besides Sony to commit to a complete transition to USD$70.00 pricing is Activision - although I have missed some press releases, so that may no longer be accurate. To date, everyone else has been doing it on a game-by-game basis to test the waters.

Last edited:
Ano

Sure, but why are many 3rd party developers supporting Adaptive Triggers + Haptic Feedback for free although they have to pay Sony a 30% cut? Extra work at no extra cost is called good customer service. Sony doesn't have that 30% but still charges for some extra work.

I am not getting you clearly. Are you saying that Sony charges 30% additional for dualsense features or 30% cut as a whole from the game/mtx sale? A third party company deciding not to charge extra for some additional features is a choice they make based on their strategy I suppose.

I am not getting you clearly. Are you saying that Sony charges 30% additional for dualsense features or 30% cut as a whole from the game/mtx sale? A third party company deciding not to charge extra for some additional features is a choice they make based on their strategy I suppose.
I mean that 3rd parties already are paying Sony 30% for the right to sell their games on Sony's platform and yet many still do the extra work for the Dual Sense gimmicks at no extra cost while Sony gets the whole money and also charges for some extra work.

Last edited:

reksveks

I mean that 3rd parties already are paying Sony 30% for the right to sell their games on Sony's platform and yet many still do the extra work for the Dual Sense gimmicks at no extra cost while Sony gets the whole money and also charges for some extra work.
For third party devs, it's a marketing point much like how the touchpad was initially used when that was introduced. It's also probably not too bad to introduce in terms of coding effort. I think devs will just continue to make use of it but how much might decline slightly.

How is the help/hint feature looking in terms of a publisher/dev uptake?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Just to illustrate, this is what Sony wants you to pay 10-20$ for:

config.jpg

Those games are made on the exact same x86 architecture, on the exact same engines, during the exact same time period, there's nothing new/additional in them to justify the price hike. Because what do you get? 4K? 60FPS? This should be a given, you paid for more powerful console after all. Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, tempest audio? Again, those are the console's features you already paid for.

Sony's policy makes the PS5 look like a PS4 Pro v2, where unless patched the games run exactly the same as on the base PS4 model from 2013, which simply doesn't make any sense at all. I can imagine such incompetence from the usual suspects like EA or Activision, but Sony should be the front-runner with their 1st party games and showing others how it's done, promoting their new console, and yet here we are with 3rd party devs doing way better job at handling cross-gen games. Really, we're not even 1 year into next-gen and they already tried to bump the price by 20$...

Last edited:
For third party devs, it's a marketing point much like how the touchpad was initially used when that was introduced. It's also probably not too bad to introduce in terms of coding effort. I think devs will just continue to make use of it but how much might decline slightly.

How is the help/hint feature looking in terms of a publisher/dev uptake?
How is it a marketing point? Nobody will pass on a great game if it doesn't support those gimmicks. But maybe Sony pays some of them to implement it or they have some kind of relationship or devs want some kind of relationship.

To be honest i had to google what the help feature is and i don't think too many people will make use of it or appreciate it.

arvfab

Banned
Ah yes, here we are again with the concern for the poor poor Nintendo and Sony players who don't get things for free :(

.... completely ignoring the fact, that I can still play any PS4 game on my PS5 with no additional costs - even the example he used, Stardew Valley - , same as the same version of a game on newer generation mobile devices....

Do I need to pay for an upgrade if such an upgrade is available and I WANT it? Yes.
The alternative is no upgrade at all, or - like in the past - buying the same game again

And it's funny these "concerned" people only fight against these stuff, when Sony and/or Nintendo are affected.

It's not like I get access to the upgraded Master Chief Collection if I have the original games, do I? Or the Mass Effect Legendary Edition? What about Grim Fandango Remastered on PC, although I have (somewhere...) the original physical release?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In what way does these require a $10 upgrade when they already exist?

For your typical remastered re-release - like the Skyrim Special Edition, The Last of Us Remastered, Metro Redux, Homeworld Remastered, and so on - additional work was added to the game that did not exist when the game was originally made. That's why there's a price tag. When Spider-man Mile Morales was released... it had everything in it already. They didn't revisit the game and add in things that didn't exist - the "enhancements" you're speaking of aren't enhancements at all, they're the stock-standard features that were budgeted and paid for by the development that goes into the sticker price PlayStation gamers already paid when they bought the game. In what world should anyone pay more for features that already exist in the product they already paid for? Madness.

MM had features that were only available in the PS5 release and the PS5 version cost more money, period. What I listed are extra features PS4 does not support, period. We are discussing all this mess for HFW and future cross generation games so the same scenario as MM.

reksveks

How is it a marketing point? Nobody will pass on a great game if it doesn't support those gimmicks. But maybe Sony pays some of them to implement it or they have some kind of relationship or devs want some kind of relationship.

To be honest i had to google what the help feature is and i don't think too many people will make use of it or appreciate it.

It's a marketing point as they can get put in a Sony blog or they can create a 90 second youtube video about those features. Whether people pass on a game that doesn't have those features is a different conversation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just to illustrate, this is what Sony wants you to pay 10-20$ for:

config.jpg

Those games are made on the exact same x86 architecture, on the exact same engines, during the exact same time period, there's nothing new/additional in them to justify the price hike. Because what do you get? 4K? 60FPS? This should be a given, you paid for more powerful console after all. Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, tempest audio? Again, those are the console's features you already paid for.

Sony's policy makes the PS5 look like a PS4 Pro v2, where unless patched the games run exactly the same as on the base PS4 model from 2013, which simply doesn't make any sense at all. I can imagine such incompetence from the usual suspects like EA or Activision, but Sony should be the front-runner with their 1st party games and showing others how it's done, promoting their new console, and yet here we are with 3rd party devs doing way better job at handling cross-gen games. Really, we're not even 1 year into next-gen and they already tried to bump the price by 20$...

Sure, because part of the PS5 version is to code against the new file system API’s, support haptics and dynamic triggers, add RT (see MM, GT7, HFW, etc…). Sony has been making a bit of a mess sure, having a single universal more expensive binary would have been easier to communicate, but you do not need to be misleading to make a better and stronger point.

Where is this extra $10 you are adding now to get to $20?

Last edited:
It's a marketing point as they can get put in a Sony blog or they can create a 90 second youtube video about those features. Whether people pass on a game that doesn't have those features is a different conversation.

Bad example, Sony payed lots of money for the timed exclusivity of this one and you can bet DS was part of the deal. That the trailer is almost more about DS than the game says it all. The whole purpose is to say that the PS version is superior, because of the gimmicks, but no 3rd party dev is interested in doing so. They don't care whick platform they sell their games on, Sony does.

Last edited:
Here's an idea, vote with your wallet and either (1) don't even buy a PS5 at all (if you haven't already), (2) always buy the last-gen version (for as long as possible) and never pay the upgrade if they offer a paid one, or (3) refuse to pay "full price" for any PS5 game out of principle, always wait for them to go on sale and don't give them the satisfaction of getting $70 from you.

Money talks and anything else is just us neckbeards bickering on the internet.
💙 I'm a neckbeard doing just this and bickering online too.

reksveks

Bad example, Sony payed lots of money for the timed exclusivity of this one and you can bet DS was part of the deal. That the trailer is almost more about DS than the game says it all. The whole purpose is to say that the PS version is superior, because of the gimmicks, but no 3rd party dev is interested in doing so. They don't care whick platform they sell their games on, Sony does.
That trailer is like 1 of 6, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Calling haptic feedback/adaptive triggers a marketing point maybe implies that it is only a marketing point and not a useful feature but that's not my aim. Also devs like also to experiment and work with new technologies so some of them would probably be implementing it for that reason.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm glad they didn't just glomp on to the latest bullshit from Sony and rightfully called Nintendo out on this shit too. The fact that you have to repurchase games for different virtual console access blows my mind. I can't believe that people didn't cause a stink about that back when it started.
haters gonna hate GIF

Sony were clearly concerned about the Horizon Forbidden West controversy overshadowing their Sep 9th event. They acted at the weekend in the hopes of making the conversation - and the articles etc - die down by the time of that event.

It shows that a backlash can work.

Three

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Both the PS4 and PS5 are x86 based consoles running on AMD CPUs and GPUs. They're still written in the same language and for the same core architecture. One is just much more powerful than the other.
You are underestimating this. They are both x86 but "same language" is stupid. Language is not what determines the work required. You can write code in C for pretty much anything and compile. The APIs for the different machines are different though. If it were so easy why is CDPR struggling with Cyberpunks current gen version?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Even with that shouldn't there be QA involved to test the game on each platform separately? Also what about added features which are only supported on PS5 like dualsense, help/hints etc. Some amount of effort/cost would go into this right?

Publishers should charge additional money for new fidelity features they have for the game on Playstation 5. $5 for 4K support, $5 for 60fps, $5 for ray tracing, $10 for Dualsense, $2 for help/hint

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nintendo can get away with it because their IP is ridiculously strong. With Sony, I'm not so sure. We'll see.
Hi and welcome to Neogaf, enjoy your stay.

Many are defending Sony in here, even in this thread.

Sony is in the same position as nintendo. They can get away with anything because games.
I am with Sony at this. 🤣

So... Are you where Sony said we believe in generations and wouldn't do cross gen, which people cheered for because Microsoft would do cross gen, which make them a joke

Or, when Sony no longer believed in generations, and like Microsoft would do cross gen, which people cheered for?

Because Sony doesn't always 100 percent know what they wanna do.
Here's an idea, vote with your wallet and either (1) don't even buy a PS5 at all (if you haven't already), (2) always buy the last-gen version (for as long as possible) and never pay the upgrade if they offer a paid one, or (3) refuse to pay "full price" for any PS5 game out of principle, always wait for them to go on sale and don't give them the satisfaction of getting $70 from you.

Money talks and anything else is just us neckbeards bickering on the internet.
The only reason some on Gaf can do rule number one is because they can't get a ps5.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Most disgusting thing of this generation is Nintendo not allowing us to keep our eshop games that we’ve purchased on Wii and paid to transfer to Wii U. EU should be after them for that seeing as how they stick their beak in everything else.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh boy, th defence force is on point today.

In the world of video games in 2021, there is no justification for charging for "next gen upgrades". Period. Platform recompilations are trivial, and its clear that Sony is hoping people's lack of understanding on this gets done will let them milk their customers. This is simply Sony picking its hill to die on; Sony wants to establish the USD$70.00 price point for its games, because it knows if it can just get people to accept it, the long term financial gain significantly outweighs the short term bad press they'll endure in the process. Sony played the PS4 generation as "for the players" and build a mountain of goodwill. Now, it wants to cash in and get paid.

On the other front, looking at backwards compatibility, Nintendo has been putting in zero effort in maintaining its historical catalogue of games for decades. Its fans do more via emulation and preservation than Nintendo has ever done. And this is because Nintendo knows it doesn't have to, and that people will pay whatever they want. They treat their games like Disney does with the Disney Vault; utilising FOMO and artificial scarcity, they can charge premium prices for decades old games and everyone just accepts it because there is no alternative.

In both cases, the PC space clowns both Sony and Nintendo's approaches - both to backwards compatibility and to "next gen upgrades". This shit straight up doesn't fly in the PC space, and PC gamers are right to laugh at this type of bold faced greed. To that end, Microsoft has once again simply brought the PC mentality to the console space, and as a result its backwards compatibility work is second to none, and its smart delivery system is now the gold standard for how this shit gets handled. All Microsoft had to do was implement PC-style handling of these things and they've instantly made fools of Nintendo and Sony on both fronts. It's good to see Sony and Nintendo taking heat for their outdated and antiquated approaches that no one should accept. Their fans shouldn't be defending USD$30.00 re-releases of old games they already own, or USD$10.00 "next gen upgrades". They should be demanding better.
I'm not going to complain about $10 next-gen upgrades, or that most publishers are establishing $70 as the new standard for AAA games. I'll just judge each game on its own merits and the value it offers to me and behave accordingly. Simple.

Offering no upgrade path or bundling next-gen upgrades in $30 special editions as a platform holder that can't yet satisfy the supply of next gen consoles is bollocks as it forces the user to make a (costly) decision on the hope they can obtain the console. If it was me, again I would vote with my wallet and simply not buy that game, until I could play it on the platform I wanted to with the features that I want to enjoy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In the iphone example, is the same game sold for more if you have the iphone 12?

I don't like the 2 tier pricing, but logic is simple, if the ps5 version costs 10 bucks more, but they offer a free upgrade, it undermines the entire price structure. Why buy the ps5 version at all when you can get it 10 bucks cheaper. If the games cost the same, charging would be insane, but with the 2 tier price it only makes sense.

Pretty much this. So the "solution" would be to also increase all PS4 game prices by $10 and get rid of the upgrade fee. Then everyone would be happy I guess? Actually, I doubt it, lol. But it would be "fair".

If you don't want either of these solutions, you're basically saying you want video games to cost $60 forever. Which is a nice thought, but not realistic. They cost more and more to make, and a dollar is worth less every year.

I'm not trying to be a corporate shill here, but you COULD view this whole thing as Sony giving you a $10 discount if you choose to buy the last-gen version of a game (which can still be played on PS5, just without native upgrades). But of course that's not how people see it.

Last edited:

Markio128

It’s pretty clear that Nintendo are in the top 1 of not providing any kind of streaming service for multiple platforms. However, their console and games appear to be selling like nothing else before. It’s almost like consumers are trying to tell us something.

MrTentakel

I purchased games for Android 6 (2015) which are not working with Android 10 (2019). I have no clue why the lazy devs [/s] don`t provide free upgrades, they got 1,50€ from me and I´m entitled for life-long free upgrates for all plattforms.

Last edited:

ZehDon

MM had features that were only available in the PS5 release and the PS5 version cost more money, period. What I listed are extra features PS4 does not support, period. We are discussing all this mess for HFW and future cross generation games so the same scenario as MM.
I've already explained that this is not true. Repeat yourself all you like, you're just more wrong. The PS4 version was not developed and released separately to the PS5 version, constituting a schism in the available feature set. The PS4 version cannot enable features its platform doesn't support, but the feature is developed, ready, and paid for none-the-less. Ray Tracing in PC doesn't cost extra. Ambient occlusion doesn't cost extra. So, either you know nothing about application development, version control, platform recompilation, or modern game development in general - in which case, why are you talking about something you clearly don't understand? - or, you're being deliberately dense for the purposes of a poor man's attempt at justifying unjustifiable price gouging by your favourite plastic box.

There is no justifying $10.00 "next gen upgrades". Period.

I know that people always mention it but it's really about the X86 architecture, it's never really that simple.
The best way to understand it is to look at how Microsoft do this and ask why it's different for them. The simple answer to that is that Xbox has been created to be a single platform where creators can run identical code across multiple pieces of hardware.
This was where the old "tools" memes came from where their games weren't doing anything close to what the hardware was capable of. This is why Smart Update is possible, this is why developers have more play in terms of backwards compatibility games and frame rate enhancements.
This is why the Series consoles run Windows and Direct X, the Series consoles have that very specific name for a reason. They are literally PCs but with restrictions on what you're able to do on them, not that anybody would really want to run Photoshop on a Series console (or Windows to Windows wither for that matter). These won't be the last Series consoles as the aim is to be just like buying PC games where the entire software environment is essentially Windows.
Is this the right way to do things? It's absolutely the right way for Microsoft to do things because that is where their strength lies and it's there because of the pretty amazing Satya Nadella. I know that people always seem to think that Phil Spencer has been making these decisions but everything that people have liked about Xbox really has Nadella's fingerprints all over it.
It is very different for both Nintendo and Sony and to be honest, it should be. They are not the same company as Microsoft, they don't the same strengths and weaknesses and we should really be celebrating that these companies are not the same and that each offer their own thing.
I wouldn't be too surprised to see the next Switch being natively compatible with the current games and much like it works with the PS5 it will likely be hardware based rather than having to run in software as you get on the Series consoles. In terms of paying for upgrades, it's much like anything else, I asses whether the asking price is worth it for me and whether I want that upgrade. If not, I don't buy them.
It's very much the nature of disposable income capitalism, companies set prices and the market as a whole decides whether they accept it or not and if they're successful then it suggests that they are certainly doing something even if 100% of potential customers don't like it because the reality is that 100% potential customers don't have to like it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't have a problem with what Nintendo and Sony are doing. It's business, and they're proving that the market will pay what it can bare for what it wants. Do I like it? Of course not. I wish Sony took Microsoft's approach to upgrades, and I wish Nintendo would reduce the cost of their games over time like everyone else does.

I wish Nintendo would reduce the cost of their games over time like everyone else does.
The other's only do it, because they have to. Believe me, Sony would still gladly charge you 70 Euro for TLOU2 if they could, but it was already down to 9,99 in my country, because nobody wants to buy it after a year. Nintendo games will sell like hot cake even after years.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've already explained that this is not true. Repeat yourself all you like, you're just more wrong. The PS4 version was not developed and released separately to the PS5 version, constituting a schism in the available feature set. The PS4 version cannot enable features its platform doesn't support, but the feature is developed, ready, and paid for none-the-less. Ray Tracing in PC doesn't cost extra. Ambient occlusion doesn't cost extra. So, either you know nothing about application development, version control, platform recompilation, or modern game development in general - in which case, why are you talking about something you clearly don't understand? - or, you're being deliberately dense for the purposes of a poor man's attempt at justifying unjustifiable price gouging by your favourite plastic box.

There is no justifying $10.00 "next gen upgrades". Period.
You are right in some respects. However maybe for Sony it is a budgeting thing. When commissioning a game they account for things such as the R&D of the game's engine to support the new features, the R&D of the new console, the losses they may take on selling the new platform and how game X may help recoup that at different price points. The console model is just different than PC/Mobile in that respect and always has been. Whether it should be or not is a fair debate, but there are other factors that go into pricing decisions.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alot of games have been delisted, and dont work all together.

Like Trainyard
pzsae_1.png

Pro Zombie Soccer - I cant even find this in my purchase history even though I have every iPhone made available to me.

Mobile development is terrible, there is so much shit which gets changed every year, it feels like every year whole SDK is done by different people. Especially iOS is terrible in this sense. You can still sort of compile and run apps which were program for Android decade ago*, but this shit with iOS does not exist. It's tiring.

*but you definitely cannot publish said game on the store.

KAL2006

Banned
I agree cross gen games that are coming in the future should be cross buy. Such as Horizon, God of War and etc. However I think it's not a big deal if developers have to go back and make improvements to a game to feature instant loading, better graphics and DualSense feedback to charge a upgrade fee. However if it's not a native version and a patch of course it should be free.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is so overstated.

The $10 fee is specifically for Sony's own first-party output on PS5. Products that were announced, pre hardware release to cost $10 more than PS4 titles.

This is the extent of it, and why they are asking for a premium in order to upgrade. It also makes a great deal of sense business-wise as it gives actual incentives to do specific additions and optimizations for PS5, because if there's no difference between a PS4 build running on PS5, and one designed natively for it there's no impetus to do anything beyond what the PS4 version offers!

So, no haptics, spatial audio, activity cards and other OS features, or anything else that the PS5 alone can do. You just get the same thing with maybe higher res and/or better frame-rates.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
PS4 AAA 1st party games are $60
PS5 AAA 1st party games are $70
If you buy a PS4 game and want a PS5 upgrade it cost $10. Or you can just keep playing your PS4 game on PS5 fully BC.

Sony insure you can't skip the $10 increase by buying the less expensive PS4 version on your PS5.

Had it be better for us to keep the $60 price on PS5, obviously yes, but never increasing the price tag on AAA games while cost to make them increase each year has to be adressed one way or another (in game purchases, multiplayer subscription etc.).

Last edited:

MHubert

Yeah that also sucked, but you can "justify" that by pointing out the previous cross gens had wildly different architectures and game builds unlike now making the two titles very separate builds in many cases. Look at stuff like Horizon 2 on 360 vs One.
Why doesn't the insane price hike of producing AAA titles nowadays justify it? The unsustainability of making bigger and bigger games have been a serious talking point/issue for years now. I'm surprised that you are supposed to be a software engineer with experience in making games while arguing the way you do - maybe you are one of those heroes who like to work for free or having your wages subsidized.

Azurro

Banned
So Sony isn't charging gamers $10.00 for "next gen upgrades"?

The topic is nonsense. The PS5 upgrades PS4 games through BC, Sony has even gone back and unlocked the framerate in many of those games, free of charge.

Now, reading the article, it's absolute nonsense. Why? This person brings up the PC and Android. Well, guess what? Both Android, iOS and PCs are hardware agnostic platforms, applications don't need to be ported over, no need for recompilation, to update dependencies, update parts of the code that are tied to specific hardware.

The PS4 and PS5 are different platforms, and portions of the game code is tied to each, and given differences in pricing between platforms, then I don't see an issue when upgrading.

Now, what MS is doing is interesting, if a little sleazy. They can't really compete with neither Sony nor Nintendo in a global way, and the Xbox consoles have been on a downward spiral ever since the 360, so they tied their ship to being "consumer friendly", came up with the silly Gamepass program to try to buy their way into relevance and are using their contacts in mainstream media for favorable press.

That is why this article is nonsense.

ZywyPL

Banned
You mean 4K (native or checkerboarded) 60 FPS like GoT and GoW?

Those are exactly games patched specifically for PS5, how about DC, UC4, BB and so on? How many port patch begging posts daily do we have on this on a daily basis? The baseline just moved from PS4->Pro to Pro->PS5, but not much has changed in the grand scheme, you still pay for a more powerful hardware but then you're on the company's mercy to patch the games, and then you're on their mercy again whether those updates will be free or paid. There's really no way to defend this, especially now when Sony themselves backtracked from it, to some extent at least. They know they're doing wrong, but they want to squeeze as much money as possible, but thankfully the gamers and the media aren't that blind/dumb to give them a free pass.

Sure, because part of the PS5 version is to code against the new file system API’s, support haptics and dynamic triggers, add RT (see MM, GT7, HFW, etc…). Sony has been making a bit of a mess sure, having a single universal more expensive binary would have been easier to communicate, but you do not need to be misleading to make a better and stronger point.

It's their problem not mine a.k.a. the consumer. They screw up the design and want me to pay for their mistakes, sorry but that's a no go. PS4 Pro and now PS5 make me wonder why they even bothered with x86 if they cannot use it properly, the games aren't cheaper or easier to make, and not even compatible across the HW revisions. Maybe they should think about redesign their OS from the ground up to make it future-proof instead of charging people for FPS/resolution bump and build-in features. Because if PS5 Pro or PS6 shows up then what, are we still gonna beg for patches, or get another 10-20$ updates on top of PS5 next-gen tax already? Something has to change because today sure, you can say 10$ if not a big deal (again, assuming there is a way for the game to fully utilize the PS5 to begin with), but in the long-term the issue will only get worse and worse.

Where is this extra $10 you are adding now to get to $20?

That's how much they wanted to additionally charge for HFW to use PS5 features.

Why even spend 500$ for a new console to play old games? 🤔

There are new games launching every month if not week even.

Top Bottom