• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Sony and Nintendo are not in-step with how the rest of the software industry works

Neither is it always on Xbox

I stand corrected. 99.99% of game saves transfer over on Xbox and Smart Delivery remains the superior way to handle cross generational titles.

arvfab

Banned
Listen, you'll do you, if you feel sad for the devs, that they need every penny and the games are so good they should be at least 100$, you can always walk out of the store with 2, 3 even 4 copies of the same game, but not every shares your enthusiasm. Just be sure not to shit on GAAS, DLC and MTX, because remember - the devs need money for their hard work!

But I shit on stuff like that. I can vote with my wallet what I support or not.
I'm buying their games at this price, because I want them to continue to produce them. The moment they go full on with MP only/GaaS/streaming services, I will simply stop buying into their products. Easy.

If you are against whatever Sony is pricing their games and their upgrades, go ahead, don't pay for it! Complain about that so that Sony gets notice of it.

Don't do it here, just for the sake of your fanboysm/console favoritism.

Kagey K

Banned
Neither is it always on Xbox

One example of a publisher doing it poorly and admitting they did it poorly.

Three

Those are exactly games patched specifically for PS5, how about DC, UC4, BB and so on? How many port patch begging posts daily do we have on this on a daily basis? The baseline just moved from PS4->Pro to Pro->PS5, but not much has changed in the grand scheme, you still pay for a more powerful hardware but then you're on the company's mercy to patch the games,
Those only show the popularity of the games (here at least) . If it were costless and so easy to patch proper PS5/Switch/XSX support for those games why do they not have it? That 5 minute job would create great buzz. After all it's not about sales, right.

There are countless games from last gen without any patch. Anybody asking for Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive or Halo 5 patches? They don't have any patches too.

This isn't about patches to last gen games that won't generate buzz/new sales with a patch. This is about whether there should be a generations approach to development of new games. i.e separate SKUs and possibly different codebase.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
True but people keep paying so this is the fault of the buyers more than the greedy companies. Worse is that the writer will probably get death threats from some mentally unstable fans because they dared to write a negative article about Sony and Nintendo and they’ll defend this practice fiercely.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Both the PS4 and PS5 are x86 based consoles running on AMD CPUs and GPUs. They're still written in the same language and for the same core architecture. One is just much more powerful than the other.

lol no? I've worked on a game for Xbox and PC and I can assure you it's the same shit with PS4 and PS5 (as ManaByte says its all x86 likely in C++ or C# for 99% of games) and you basically only have a different #ifdef for the target platform to load/use certain APIs...

You think a game built in UE4 or Unity are drastically different "coding methods" or products? You just package it for the target platform and that's basically it.

This was a PS5 only release. A single SKU for PS5. Next gen. All in, barriers down PS5. They had to find a way to recode sections of the game to fit onto the PS4 midway through development. You're arguments don't make sense and cherry picking words out of my reply to fit your narrative makes me question who's a paid shill and who isn't.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
But I shit on stuff like that. I can vote with my wallet what I support or not.
I'm buying their games at this price, because I want them to continue to produce them. The moment they go full on with MP only/GaaS/streaming services, I will simply stop buying into their products. Easy.

If you are against whatever Sony is pricing their games and their upgrades, go ahead, don't pay for it! Complain about that so that Sony gets notice of it.

Don't do it here, just for the sake of your fanboysm/console favoritism.

Voting with my wallet is exactly my thing. But has nothing to do with fanboyism. You on the other had are in a clear minority who desperately tries to justify the price hike and you're getting mad that people are calling out Sony for their practices. but like I said, you do you, if you feel you're obligated to support it, all the power to you.

elliot5

Games used to ship in working condition when PCs ran under DOS, needed special "drivers" for different audio/video cards and were developed by groups of kids that just moved their offices put of their parent's garage.

Nintendo and Sony ship games that work day one too.

Software as a service should not be an excuse for a game to ship before it works (unless it's branded as beta or something, Steam has a service for those who can't wait).
Who is excusing or calling things software as a service here?? Even if things on PC have gotten better, making a robust PC version of a game is more complex than a robust console one.
This was a PS5 only release. A single SKU for PS5. Next gen. All in, barriers down PS5. They had to find a way to recode sections of the game to fit onto the PS4 midway through development. You're arguments don't make sense and cherry picking words out of my reply to fit your narrative makes me question who's a paid shill and who isn't.
Where's your proof that horizon was a ps5 only release and got backported?

arvfab

Banned
Voting with my wallet is exactly my thing. But has nothing to do with fanboyism. You on the other had are in a clear minority who desperately tries to justify the price hike and you're getting mad that people are calling out Sony for their practices. but like I said, you do you, if you feel you're obligated to support it, all the power to you.

I'm not getting mad at all, I'm just amused by this false concern.
Sony surely needs to be called out when they do wrong. Look at what happened to HFW or the shutting down of the PS3 and Vita shops.
Pricing their games higher, after so many years were they stayed the same, is not one of them.

Three

Some companies are not interested in races to the bottom, sometimes trying to chase every consumer doesn’t yield the long term results you would want.
It's not a race to the bottom but one where a race doesn't take place. The article or twitter post mentions "stardew valley". If you buy stardew valley on an iPhone X it will work on an iPhone 12. If you buy God of war or any game on a PS4 it will work on a PS5 too. The issue is that stardew valley doesn't push anything on an iphone 12. It isn't a better iphone 12 game. It's the same 2d crap graphics game that doesn't require an iphone 12.

Xbox has a different approach to Sony and Nintendo because their business model is different. One where they give up very few sales because they had very few sales to begin with. Their model is a platform agnostic subscription model.

They don't even put in that much effort into it even though everyone is saying it's so easy. I mean look at FS2020 or Halo Infinite. Just put your #ifdef's here and there and you're done Xbox one and XBox S/X support.

Last edited:

elliot5

It's not a race to the bottom but one where a race doesn't take place. The article or twitter post mentions "stardew valley". If you buy stardew valley on an iPhone X it will work on an iPhone 12. If you buy God of war or any game on a PS4 it will work on a PS5 too. The issue is that stardew valley doesn't push anything on an iphone 12. It isn't a better iphone 12 game. It's the same 2d crap graphics game that doesn't require an iphone 12.
How about this: I buy a game on iPhone and it works fine. Later I buy an iPad pro which is a different form factor and uses 120hz. That game works on the tablet and utilizes the better hardware. No need to buy a tablet version of the game. It's just one version that adapts to the full feature set of the hardware it's running on, not just gimped to iphone settings. Nice isn't it?

Three

How about this: I buy a game on iPhone and it works fine. Later I buy an iPad pro which is a different form factor and uses 120hz. That game works on the tablet and utilizes the better hardware. No need to buy a tablet version of the game. It's just one version that adapts to the full feature set of the hardware it's running on, not just gimped to iphone settings. Nice isn't it?

Yes. If it was created for the iPhone it will have the same crappy assets and essentially be the same game at a higher res/fps. It may also be shit as some iPhone apps on tablets are which don't have a separate iPad/tablet version. IPad/tablet versions of apps on an iPad/tablet are much better.

Last edited:
just get used to it. its no more bullshit than having to pay for online gaming but most people are used to it and do it without complaining anymore. like with nintendo, i would love to get their games cheaper but it just aint gonna happen.

Bryank75

Banned
just get used to it. its no more bullshit than having to pay for online gaming but most people are used to it and do it without complaining anymore. like with nintendo, i would love to get their games cheaper but it just aint gonna happen.
I mostly pay for the free games.... I'm not playing online much and when I do it's for F2P games recently.

Been like this since PS3, the value was established by offering decent games most of the time.

MHubert

Profits at the publishers are at record highs too. So they are going hand in hand with the stock price, but I totally get what youre saying. Sometimes they dont like some biotech company with nothing but some phase 2 drug is worth billions though their sales are $0 and they are losing $100 million per year.

But for anyone trying to play the "higher tech = higher costs justification", then as you said what about GAAS mtx?

They are going to justify a game is worth $70 (or a $10 upgrade), and also justify a weapon skin is worth $5?
It's not so much higher tech = higher prices, but bigger game/scope without higher return of investment = bad business. But you are right, a 70 dollar game is no guarantee that it won't have GAAS and MTX - It's just more likely that they will actually listen when their customers complain about it.
A board of investors (or a publisher) will look at the numbers and see that yes, people are willing to pay a bit extra for the 'old school' games and it doesn't need to sell minimum 5 million copies just to break even - alternatively, they would look at those customers complaining and see they aren't even valuable customers to begin with, since they won't shell out an extra 10 bucks for what they want. As some posters have rightfully pointed out: Vote with your wallet.
Kinda why I wanted profit margin. I also don't know if we should or shouldn't save the profit for each product/category. It's kinda hard if some companies are using the profits from store revenue or mtx to fund more risky games like the ea indies program or Microsoft/Sony could do.
I'm sure their profits are great as well. Again, those publishers have IP's selling well above 20 million copies per iteration; but if they see that their GAAS games are raking in money and 'traditional' games are more risky, why would they take the profits from what they know works to sink it into projects that keep getting bigger, taking longer to make and are more unlikely to give a satisfying return of investment? Look at what happened to Konami.

Last edited:

reksveks

I'm sure their profits are great as well. Again, those publishers have IP's selling well above 20 million copies per iteration; but if they see that their GAAS games are raking in money and 'traditional' games are more risky, why would they take the profits from what they know works to sink it into projects that keep getting bigger, taking longer to make and are more unlikely to give a satisfying return of investment? Look at what happened to Konami.

Same here, I think their profits are great and the price increase is largely to ensure margins go up or to ensure they don't get overly skewed on the GaaS games for profit.

StormCell

Feels like most of GAF is missing the distinction between games that are remastered or actually enhanced for PS5 versus games that are bare-bone ports. When Sony sellss you the PS4 version, the PS4 version still runs on PS5. If what you wanted was the PS5 version with enhanced textures and effects that weren't physically possible on PS4, you can expect to pay for that difference.

On the other hand, when Nintendo sells you Tropical Freeze for Wii U, you only have a license for that game on that specific piece of hardware. When they bring the exact same game to Switch, you will pay for it all over again and in this case pay more for it. Just because f--k you! Nothing is different about that game. Textures are not enhanced. Resolution isn't an enhancement. Almost no work went into it. Same case with Skyward Sword where it's running on some emulator, I believe.

I know this about these companies before I buy in, so I don't complain a lot. However, I much prefer Xbox's approach on this where games I bought for 360 are still part of my library on Series X.

Last edited:

elliot5

THIS is the issue with this article that I have. Technically you don't HAVE to pay extra for any PS4 games on the PS5. It's just the upgrades that you have to pay extra for.
The title of the article is literally "‘Horizon’ upgrade mess seals the deal: PlayStation 5 title upgrades will be $10"
and states:
"Ryan’s decision to charge $10 for future first-party, cross-generation upgrades to the PS5 versions finally puts into place some kind of standard for the PS4 to PS5 pipeline."

and refers to how PS4 games playable on PS5 got free updates still using the PS4 version
  • Owners of the PS4 games “The Last of Us Part II,” “God of War” and “Horizon Zero Dawn” all received free PS5-exclusive upgrades in game performance to 60 frames-per-second, all while using the PS4 files of each game.
I'm confused where your issue is. No where in the article is it implied the PS5 cannot run PS4 games without an extra fee.

MagnesG

Banned
On the other hand, when Nintendo sells you Tropical Freeze for Wii U, you only have a license for that game on that specific piece of hardware. When they bring the exact same game to Switch, you will pay for it all over again and in this case pay more for it. Just because f--k you! Nothing is different about that game. Textures are not enhanced. Resolution isn't an enhancement. Almost no work went into it. Same case with Skyward Sword where it's running on some emulator, I believe.
The Switch is a new hardware though vs WiiU unlike the revised PS5 and SeriesX which are automatically backwards compatible natively with their predecessor PS4/Xbone.

Yes. If it was created for the iPhone it will have the same crappy assets and essentially be the same game at a higher res/fps. It may also be shit as some iPhone apps on tablets are which don't have a separate iPad/tablet version. IPad/tablet versions of apps on an iPad/tablet are much better.
Not really, games can store different resolution assets for different hardware configurations (I'm pretty sure this is true for Android as well).

Also, games are often developed with higher resolution assets than what ships on current generation hardware, the initial model is often of much higher quality before it's exported to use in the game as well... So on and so forth.

The rest is mostly configuration files and good coding igiene.

Obviously this is different from one game to the other, but it many cases a game is ready to take advantage of some level of upgrade with minimal effort... Especially in a 5years project.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have no idea why do people think Horizon Forbidden West is developed on the PS4 first, then up port it to the PS5. That will be a terribly stupid pipeline and a rather foolish thought in the first place.

Why does PS5 have to be any different? Develop a game targeting PS5 specs, in the deployment process downgrade res, framerate and turn off RT in the ini file for PS4. This is exactly how Xbox smart delivery works, how PC works and it should be how Playstation works as well.

What if they are charging full price for PS5 game and giving a discount of $10 for the PS4 one which has reduced features. Consumers choose which one they want.

How is this different from different edition of same game on the same platform like Standard edition, Deluxe edition, Premium edition etc. They are priced differently based on additional content which can also mostly be purchased separately for additional money. A case can be made for those as well that they should be priced the same as the content is already developed and just disabled in lower editions.

StormCell

The Switch is a new hardware though vs WiiU unlike the revised PS5 and SeriesX which are automatically backwards compatible natively with their predecessor PS4/Xbone.

This is true, however they're not having to rebuild Wii U games from the ground up for Switch. They've simply taken advantage of the changes to fully cash in again (double dip, so to speak) on these titles. At least in the case of Super Mario 3D World, there was Bowser's Fury. Tropical Freeze did, at least, include that Funky Mode. Skyward Sword offered some updates.

I just get burnt out on all the full price price tags. Sometimes it's nice to get relatively good deals on what amounts to re-releases of games.

CeeJay

What if they are charging full price for PS5 game and giving a discount of $10 for the PS4 one which has reduced features. Consumers choose which one they want.

How is this different from different edition of same game on the same platform like Standard edition, Deluxe edition, Premium edition etc. They are priced differently based on additional content which can also mostly be purchased separately for additional money. A case can be made for those as well that they should be priced the same as the content is already developed and just disabled in lower editions.
They haven't done any of this in an elegant and clear way though, it's been a total cluster fuck and they keep floundering on their message. its totally different to any of those things as they are charging for upgrades on the same editions alongside having tiered editions as well.

I think they honestly would have had less flack if they'd raised their prices on PS4 to $70 and given free upgrades to PS5 across the board.

Derktron

Banned
Very true, the bad thing is judging by the comments on here data shows that no matter the hard criticism people will defend their brands to death and say otherwise.

supernova8

Banned
The only reason some on Gaf can do rule number one is because they can't get a ps5.
Yeah I'm certainly not desperate enough to get one right now. It's not like there's a deluge of exclusive PS5 games to play right now anyway. I can live without the likes of Spiderman, R&C, Boring Souls, Regurgitaturnal

Fbh

I don't like what Sony and Nintendo do. Though I can understand it from a business perspective, if most of you audience is willing to pay for it then why the hell wouldn't you do it.
Nintendo has the advantage that millions of people are willing to pay anything for their franchises, and Sony has the advantage that they've had a stronger start to the gen and Playstation as a brand is way stronger than Xbox (specially outside the US).

It's up to MS to close to gap. Hopefully they keep at it and hopefully once all their recent purchases (Bethesda in particular) start to pay off they manage to make the Xbox brand strong enough to really start putting pressure on Sony.

Feels like most of GAF is missing the distinction between games that are remastered or actually enhanced for PS5 versus games that are bare-bone ports. When Sony sellss you the PS4 version, the PS4 version still runs on PS5. If what you wanted was the PS5 version with enhanced textures and effects that weren't physically possible on PS4, you can expect to pay for that difference.

I know this about these companies before I buy in, so I don't complain a lot. However, I much prefer Xbox's approach on this where games I bought for 360 are still part of my library on Series X.

Nah, I think most people get the difference.
That's the point of the article. On Xbox, PC and Mobile you mostly no longer buy a hardware specific version of the software. You don't buy "the Iphone X version of Stardew Valley" or the "GTX1080 version of Doom Eternal" or "The Xbox One S version of Forza Horizon 5" . You just buy Stardew Valley, Doom Eternal and Forza Horizon 5, and then get the best available version for your current hardware.

You don't have to repurchase or pay for an upgrade of Doom Eternal just because you upgraded to an RTX3080 and want to enable higher rest textures, 120fps and ray tracing

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
On PC it's the same copy of the game, requiring nothing from the developers.

This is a PS4 SKU of a game, completely different coding method and product than the PS5 version. Your argument doesn't make sense.

The game is the f*cking same!!!

Heck, PS4 OS is based on FreeBSD, the same as PS5. The x86 architecture is exactly the same. Both consoles uses the same exact engines (unreal, unity, etc), and from a technical standpoint THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTIFICATION to pay twice for the same game. There simply isn't.

Heck, there isn't even a justification for the god-awful backwards compatibility from Sony, since they have the same tools that EVERYONE in the IT world has to bake "smart delivery" (or whatever they want to call it) on their PS5 console.

Seems like Sony really loves to screw their loyal customers over and over again.

tr1p1ex

Meh. IT's just a different business model. In the end there is no such thing as a free lunch so just because some of the other guys don't charge you anything up front doesn't mean you aren't paying for it in some other form or fashion.

Also I would say one of the MS's strengths is backwards compatibility given their history with Windows and OS/DirectX/VM software development expertise so more power to them in this area.

It's like how consumer electronics is one of Sony's strengths.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

This is true, however they're not having to rebuild Wii U games from the ground up for Switch. They've simply taken advantage of the changes to fully cash in again (double dip, so to speak) on these titles. At least in the case of Super Mario 3D World, there was Bowser's Fury. Tropical Freeze did, at least, include that Funky Mode. Skyward Sword offered some updates.

I just get burnt out on all the full price price tags. Sometimes it's nice to get relatively good deals on what amounts to re-releases of games.
Nintendo is not taking advantage of the hardware change to fully cash in again. On the contrary, they rereleased the games again because they never fully cashed in in the first place. No one played the games the first time around relatively speaking so there was lots of untapped demand. 35 million copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe demonstrates this.

Last edited:

aclar00

Sony should have just waited mid-gen to increase the price of FP titles to $70. This would have alleviated some of the stupid cross-gen mess theyve put themselves in. I blame Jim Ryan.

While, not a complete indication of the arrogant Sony of yesteryear, it is a small hint of where they may be in the near future.

mckmas8808

Banned
The title of the article is literally "‘Horizon’ upgrade mess seals the deal: PlayStation 5 title upgrades will be $10"
and states:
"Ryan’s decision to charge $10 for future first-party, cross-generation upgrades to the PS5 versions finally puts into place some kind of standard for the PS4 to PS5 pipeline."

and refers to how PS4 games playable on PS5 got free updates still using the PS4 version
  • Owners of the PS4 games “The Last of Us Part II,” “God of War” and “Horizon Zero Dawn” all received free PS5-exclusive upgrades in game performance to 60 frames-per-second, all while using the PS4 files of each game.
I'm confused where your issue is. No where in the article is it implied the PS5 cannot run PS4 games without an extra fee.

Because he's comparing it to Nintendo's strategy. He's making it sound like Sony and Nintendo are doing the same thing and they aren't.

CamHostage

...In a less snarky comment, mobile DID used to charge an upgrade fee, back when there were separate low-res and "HD" versions. But now, mobile isn't even in that ring of competition, they're either trying to give games away F2P or they're tying them to subscription services. Get big quick, hook the whales, that's the mobile software strategy. I can't even think of a game that has massive differences across mobile games that isn't free, most of the for-cost stuff is decade-old console stuff ported over without any MTX to fund them.

Also, in sports games, PC has so far sidestepped the $10 upgrade fee by just not being the platform where the next-gen versions launch. I don't think too many other genres of games will be released on PC that way, but for companies serious about that $10 upgrade fee being necessary to produce a product at that caliber, we may just see PC prices go up as a baseline.

And although the upgrade fee system is being challenged, it's not like it's unusual in other markets. You pay a higher price for high-definition in video (4K BDs are usually $5-10 more, and Netflix is $9 for Basic and $18 for UHD Premium), and music generally costs more for the HD dl/stream. There's not really a "next-generation" price break in professional software utilities like Premiere or Pro Tools where they charge extra for a Windows 11 version or a HD version or like a "DirectStorage-compatible" version optimized for SSDs, but there's very often a Base and Pro version that change capabilities (such as track limitations) for high-performance use. It's not a universal price hike, but it's common.

I don't like what Sony's doing, and as next-gen evolves it'll be interesting to see how prices adjust with the market, but to say it's out of step with the rest of the software industry is kind of a narrow view of the software industry.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nintendo is not taking advantage of the hardware change to fully cash in again. On the contrary, they rereleased the games again because they never fully cashed in in the first place. No one played the games the first time around relatively speaking so there was lots of untapped demand. 35 million copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe demonstrates this.
They're still trying to fully cash in again on many of the WiiU titles. Many of the games that have been ported forward sold in the multi-millions on WiiU. Although the WiiU hardware didn't do all of that well the attach rates for many first party games were still really high. Nintendo could have let the millions of people who bought a digital version of a WiiU game play the ported version on Switch but Nintendo chose to not allow that and instead had people pay again.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
"The best selling consoles doesn't do what everyone else does" is not exactly a sound argument against it, if you ask me.

AllBizness

Banned
Dont buy Nintendo and Sony products then. Problem solved. I'm dont with console games if those companies ever stop making games.

Kjtc1979

They're still trying to fully cash in again on many of the WiiU titles. Many of the games that have been ported forward sold in the multi-millions on WiiU. Although the WiiU hardware didn't do all of that well the attach rates for many first party games were still really high. Nintendo could have let the millions of people who bought a digital version of a WiiU game play the ported version on Switch but Nintendo chose to not allow that and instead had people pay again.
I’ll be annoyed if Switch 2 or whatever it’s called isn’t backward compatible.

But Wii U was BC with Wii, and Wii with GameCube.

3DS with DS, DS with GBA, GBA with GB.

I understand why Switch isn’t backwards compatible with 3DS or Wii U.

I’ll be surprised if the next system isn’t BC with Switch, if there even is a next system.

I think I will be even more surprised if we get a full new system instead of ongoing iterative upgrades.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

You cannot defend Sony and Nintendo here.

They're going to keep this going as long as they possibly can but it's not going to last forever. Console gamers are starting to wise up.

10 dollars to upgrade a previous gen console game to a current gen one is hilarious from Sony.
Still though at least Sony are giving a cheap option, Nintendo will just release the same game again and in some cases charge more for it than the original game which is very funny to watch and see people defend.

" but it's portable and it's got Funky Kong!!"

MHubert

Same here, I think their profits are great and the price increase is largely to ensure margins go up or to ensure they don't get overly skewed on the GaaS games for profit.
True, but I think the price increase primarily benefits smaller developers who haven't hit it home in the AAA space yet - like Housemarque.

I have skyrim on steam, then had to pay the full game for the Special Edition(I bought it at discount really :D ) that have better graphics but its basically the same game and there is also a VR edition that you also dont get for free and is even more expensive almost double than SE

there are free upgrades sure but is not a "sony and nintendo thing only", it depends the game and what the publisher devs want to do with their game

Last edited:

HisExcellency

Neo Member
A couple things:

Firstly, it seems as if people think there is no difference or very little difference between these versions. But we have examples of games with two distinct versions in Madden 22 and NBA 2K22 and I don't believe they are even offering the "next-gen" versions of those games for PC players. So if it is the same why wouldn't they just offer the game to PC players since the only thing that matters is the specs on your PC. And if the versions are different for them then isn't it in the realm of possibility that Sony's games are different as well?

Secondly, if the PS5 version is not different enough to justify additional payment then why not just purchase the PS4 version? And if those PS5 features are significant enough that you want them then why should you not have to pay for them?

Imo the onus is on Sony and the other publishers to justify the additional price they want to charge or the public can just buy the PS4 version. What am I missing here?

Azurro

Banned
On PC, free means free-free as in no need to pay a single cent. Not pay-subscription-for-free.

Just like Far Cry 3 right now on Ubisoft Store

It's not the same case, a game developed on PC doesn't need to be recompiled or updated if you get a new graphics card/cpu, it's the windows platform. PS4 and PS5 are different platforms, of course that if people have to go and retool and create a native PS5 version of the product, that that work has to be paid for.

I honestly don't understand the furore. I get it from shills like DarkMage619 DarkMage619 , who I hope gets paid for his nonsense, but not from a lot of other posters, there's been a big influx of Xbox fanboys lately, which make this place less pleasant to be around.

Kjtc1979

You cannot defend Sony and Nintendo here.

They're going to keep this going as long as they possibly can but it's not going to last forever. Console gamers are starting to wise up.

10 dollars to upgrade a previous gen console game to a current gen one is hilarious from Sony.
Still though at least Sony are giving a cheap option, Nintendo will just release the same game again and in some cases charge more for it than the original game which is very funny to watch and see people defend.

" but it's portable and it's got Funky Kong!!"
DK was the worst offender of the Wii U ports, for sure. It left me wondering if they had lost money on the original game and were trying to overcompensate. But I think they shot themselves in the foot, because it didn’t sell as well as some of the other ports. If they put in a bit more effort, and maybe charged $40 for it, they might’ve made more money in the long run. They should make it part of the first Nintendo selects line for the system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom