• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

fushi

They'd be able to get a whole lot more support if they had something more to show for themselves than just talk and namedrops, though...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They can't show much before the project getting funded and starting development though...

Xater

If that's the case, they should probably put more priority on localization of the game to European languages. I see nothing at all in their Kickstarter about other languages. Disappointing.

The people who back a project like this probably don't care about localization. I know I don't. Just give me a good game that is at least in English. ;)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've put a nice $15 down to help try and revive a long last style of genre that's been quiet for some time. I hope this project pays off.

If that's the case, they should probably put more priority on localization of the game to European languages. I see nothing at all in their Kickstarter about other languages. Disappointing.

If you're into video games, you should probably put more priority on learning English.

Actually, that was kind of a two-way thing with me.

Wildesy

Fargo should do an AMA on Reddit to drum up some interest. A similar thing on here wouldn't go astray either.

I genuinely hope it comes together, but I'm pretty sceptical. The names involved aren't particularly relevant in the gaming world today, the game itself is a sequel to a game that isn't even well known and the company developing the game has a average reputation and a pretty poor track record over the last ~10 years.

I think there is only so much steam this project can gather on the back of the Fallout series, especially when the majority of the people involved in FI+II aren't contributing this time round. It would have been interesting if he had managed to team up with some of the old Interplay guys like Avellone and used their pulling power to push this project on a little. I'm sure those guys would be interested in being involved in rebooting the old isometric, turn based RPG genre (even with Avellone hinting at starting up his own Kickstarter project).

Anyway, you can't deny the guy's passion for the project. It's obviously something that lies pretty close to his heart and as someone who hasn't played Wasteland (or even heard of it before a few weeks ago) it was this passion that inspired me to contribute.

I can't help but feel that the 1 million dollar goal is pretty conservative as well, I suspect Fargo has his fingers crossed that it will manage to get a fair amount more than this number. It's a pretty minuscule budget in the scheme of things, I'd be shocked if they hadn't been able to drum a budget that small up from a publisher when they were shopping it around.

SparkTR

Get this on RPS, get this on Reddit, get this on Eurogamer, get this on every goddamn gaming forum you know of. This needs to happen.

Here's the Reddit post if people want to get it to the frontpage.

mclem

Fargo should do an AMA on Reddit to drum up some interest. A similar thing on here wouldn't go astray either.

One of the advantages Schafer had, thinking about it, is all those little things that were done to promote it - the videos, the AMA - they all directly helped to showcase his humour, and for lots of fans of his previous games that served to underline What You're Getting; there was the constant reassurance that he still had the ability to make people laugh. On the video released last night (on the fairly starchy subject of how to back the project without a credit card) there were a good few genuine laugh-out-loud moments.

Is there a way that Fargo could engage with potential backers similarly, where the very way the promotional thing is presented serves to highlight what you're getting out of it? I'm not sure that there is.

Magilla

Banned
I think getting out there and showing his passion will help. He has been active on twitter about it, but some more interaction on Reddit and other sites would help even more. I don't think he will kill it with humor as much as Schafer, but his passion is there and that would hopefully come across.

Acosta

I genuinely hope it comes together, but I'm pretty sceptical. The names involved aren't particularly relevant in the gaming world today, the game itself is a sequel to a game that isn't even well known and the company developing the game has a average reputation and a pretty poor track record over the last ~10 years.

I'm going to argue that the point is that Wasteland and what it represents it's well known among the people that matter here.

It's not a popularity contest, the question here is that if this niche public can support this kind project (and if they have faith on Fargo to deliver.)

jnCQDZ2UpASko.JPG

150+15 for international shipping.

KICKSTART THIS!!

SparkTR

Hopefully this will cement Kickstarter as a viable means to fund games of this caliber. Looking at it now only Schafer seems to have gotten success out of the model, that Serellen LLC tactical shooter has no way of making its target despite having talent behind it. I hope this isn't a one hit wonder, and saying goodbye to a possible Wasteland 2 is too depressing to think of, it better not meet Van Buren in cRPG heaven.

Zeliard

I don't think it'll have trouble hitting the mark. Far more people are looking for a return to 90s era (well, late 80s in this case) games than I think people realize. The games that will truly have trouble getting this sort of Kickstarter project going are the ones without some bit of nostalgia behind them. New Wasteland/Fallout'ish type game? That's a cool story, and people want that sort of game.

I'm pretty positive they'll reach the minimum...also, I think that localization is a fluid thing that will come out fine. Gonna pledge a big amount day after tomorrow, myself, but how big depends on how a check to my CHA goes...

SparkTR

I don't think it'll have trouble hitting the mark. Far more people are looking for a return to 90s era (well, late 80s in this case) games than I think people realize. The games that will truly have trouble getting this sort of Kickstarter project going are the ones without some bit of nostalgia behind them. New Wasteland/Fallout'ish type game? That's a cool story, and people want that sort of game.

Man, I hope you're right. The numbers now are promising, almost 50k!

Acosta

I'm pretty positive they'll reach the minimum...also, I think that localization is a fluid thing that will come out fine. Gonna pledge a big amount day after tomorrow, myself, but how big depends on how a check to my CHA goes...

Hey Mighty, confess it, you are one of the 1000$ backers, right?

The only problem for wasteland getting kickstarted is that you really have to be old to have played it back when. And I have. I loved it; fallout came after and was like a spiritual successor but wasteland is where its at. I even had it as one of my facebook profiles last year...

Hopefully, a whole other bunch of old cunts like me chip in the money and get it made. I mean, the $1000 kickstart option illustrate that people who are cashed up are chipping in

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
They should get the original up on GOG asap as I'm sure there's more people like me that would be interested in supporting this project but have never played the first one.

I rather worry about the game itself than reaching the "needed" funds. So far the reccent portfolio of inXile doesn't appeal to me that much.

To really spend money I would need to know more about the project just being Fargo with a Wasteland 2 "idea" and bold money needs is not enough to convince me. I do hope they will get enough funds and make a great game but I will pass until then and rather pay a steeper price once its finished or maybe get picked up by a publisher.

DaBuddaDa

The only problem for wasteland getting kickstarted is that you really have to be old to have played it back when. And I have. I loved it; fallout came after and was like a spiritual successor but wasteland is where its at. I even had it as one of my facebook profiles last year...

Well, Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island were both released in the exact same period of time and we've seen how well those guys are doing...

Minsc

Gold Member
I never played the original but i did play fallout 1 and 2...i wonder if ill like this...

Well he did tweet this:

Brian Fargo @ Twitter said:
I think anyone who wanted a proper #Fallout sequel that was more like the first two will he very happy with our direction with #Wasteland.

So you should enjoy it! I think leveraging ties to Fallout helps, even if they're very different games.

I hope it succeeds and passes $1.5M, for a positive outlook of other potential cRPG kickstarters that may come after this as well as what I hope is a very fun game.

Aside from a few missing pieces, lining up a little more publicity, the project looks to be presented and laid out very well. I'll back it later today, probably start at $30 and see if they work out the tiers any more later on. I would have liked to see a copy of the original included for the boxed copy level, though maybe that's not possible due to some obscure license? If it is possible, hopefully they include it at some point.

So you should enjoy it! I think leveraging ties to Fallout helps, even if they're very different games.

actually I think fallout is very very much in the same vein as wasteland. obviously updated to have more story + mechanics. That aside, fallout 1+2 could have been wasteland 2+3 easily.

I'm really excited about this. If brian gets a passionate team behind him; and he will. This thing is going to be insanely good.

Owensboro

I'm in for $15. I never played Wasteland but I loved, loved, loved Fallout 1 and 2. They had me at "top down" and "strategy" when describing gameplay.

Also, is it sad that part of me is happy they are doing 0 voice recording and instead spending that money on the game? I can't wait to see people get angry that they have to read.

For anybody wondering about the original Wasteland, this Let's Play was recommended to me. The guy goes over the basics and edits it in a way that appeals to fans of Fallout.

Oh wow, thanks for that! I've been looking for a good lets play of this, but couldn't find anything.

Munin

I predict that they'll be able to fund pretty soon, but that in a year or whenever it comes out, it will turn out to be just not as great as everyone hoped, which will in turn dampen everyone's enthusiasm for these kinds of projects.

Well, maybe that sounds too pessimistic but what has Fargo / inXile done lately that's actually good? Not much...

Top Bottom