• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 launch massively down from WD1 in UK.

patapuf

I look forward to the crash. On some level this industry needs it with all the bullshit they are pulling.

a "crash" will not lead to what people hoping for a crash wish for. It will lead to less, especially high budget, "traditional" games, not more of them. The things that make most money now ( MP and service games with lots of MT and DLC) will be what will continue to be made and pushed hardest.

I never want see word "hype" ever again.

a "crash" will not lead to what people hoping for a crash wish for. It will lead to less, especially high budget, "traditional" games, not more of them. The things that make most money now ( MP and service games with lots of digital MT and DLC) will be what will continue to be made and pushed hardest.
This is why I can't but laugh at post like that. The definition of "you don't know what your asking for".

CivRab

Not surprising after the awful way they handled the release of WD1 and then the disappointment of a game it was

Also, people are not buying full price "more of the same" titles anymore, I think.

They will go out of their way and spend 60 bucks on something completely new and "unknown" (see NMS) rather than pay full price for the latest assassin's creed or watch dogs, which they know will be 30% to 50% less in three months anyway.

I actually really agree with this and it's something I've been theorizing is happening for a while now. Consumers are catching on that within 2-3 months of launch they can get these games substantially cheaper and the games will be patched. It's a situation where it's just all around a better move to not buy at launch anymore. It wasn't as big a factor in older generations where patches weren't common place but every game now days gets multiple improvements shortly after the launch frame.

I think there is a lot more that went wrong with WD2 but I think this is a factor we are seeing with games generally currently. It's also why Games as a Service and microtransactions are becoming all the rage.

maybe people are getting tired of open world games
I don't think that is totally true. I think people are getting tired of cut and paste open world games where the content is very local and replicated across the larger map with little variation. I've always wanted an open world game that treats the map more as a single connected entity or at least large regions inside a bigger whole. Within these spaces RTS elements are layered on top of normal gameplay to give your actions more weight and a sense of influencing the world. In such a system progressions isn't just your character's improvement but the evolution of the world that you influence.

Alienous

For a 'GTA-like' game the marketing really wasn't there for Watch Dogs 2. I suppose they relied too much on brand identity, thinking this was their new Assassin's Creed.

It's almost like Watch Dogs only sold craploads because it's was pretty much the only game to buy for those that wanted an open world experience but didn't want to play GTAV on PS3/360 🤔🤔🤔🤔

a "crash" will not lead to what people hoping for a crash wish for. It will lead to less, especially high budget, "traditional" games, not more of them. The things that make most money now ( MP and service games with lots of digital MT and DLC) will be what will continue to be made and pushed hardest.

This is why I can't but laugh at post like that. The definition of "you don't know what your asking for".

How do you know what that poster is asking for? Not everyone wants "high budget traditional" games. And recent sales data seems to confirm that

The AAA space has become boring and samey

Chris1

I feel like most games down have reasons to be down and watch dogs 2 is no different.

Holy shit, 80k???? I predicted low 200k. Fucking hell.

forms

Their message should have been heavily focused on the changes between this and WD1, which was bit of a mess honestly. I would assume that their gathered data gave them input on the amount of "challenges" people finished etc.

Also, BF1. It is just So Good.

marmoka

Banned
Price drop incoming?

I feel bad for this game. Surely the quality and the bad feedback of its predecessor is affecting the sales. Honestly, I don't have enough confidence to pay full price for this game.

Xater

Except I don't really care about that space. Less of them just means more space for the little guys that create interesting stuff. It. Relates opportunities for them.

How do you know what that poster is asking for? Not everyone wants "high budget traditional" games. And recent sales data seems to confirm that

And here comes Ubi and 2k with a black protagonist in their games. AAA is slowly getting diverse.
Except I don't really care about that space. Less of them just means more space for the little guys that create interesting stuff. It. Relates opportunities for them.
The little guy already has the space. Nothing is blocking them.

dracula_x

like Battleborn or Evolve

I think there's no "holy grail" and some publishers don't realize that.

Son Of D

I honestly forgot it was set for release this year. Saw barely any marketing for it, not even anything on the London Underground (seeing a lot of Pokemon though).

Fliesen

i wonder if it suffers from being released this close to Christmas.

Anecdotally speaking, there's too much in my backlog right now, so i'll be saving up an open world collectathon Ubisoft game for my week of Christmas holidays.

We'll see how FFXV does and whether or not this might factor in with that game as well :/

Don't get me wrong, i think WD2 still doesn't do well, just wondering if its lifetime sales are just not as front-loaded as other releases throughout the year (WD1 was released in may, for reference)

oti

Banned
I look forward to the crash. On some level this industry needs it with all the bullshit they are pulling.

I don't know about a full-blown crash, that would mean the big names stay and the smaller names fade away. But just a re-scaling or publishers realizing what the hell is happening would certainly be healthy.

sjay1994

Good to see the backlash to Ubi's bullshit.

This is such a dumb shitty stance to have, especially when they learn from their previous mistakes.

Its a shitty cycle, when the game that does a lot wrong sells well, but the game that tried to learn from its mistakes sells abysmally.

And here comes Ubi and 2k with a black protagonist in their games. AAA is slowly getting diverse.

Doesn't look like that's helping.

People want fun and interesting games first and formeost. Only a small group of people cares about diversity in characters or sees it as a selling point.

sTiTcH AU

Watch Dogs 1 released in May, when there had been stuff all released around that time. That + the hype around that time for the game its no wonder it sold a shit load more.

Xater

This is such a dumb shitty stance to have, especially when they learn from their previous mistakes.

Its a shitty cycle, when the game that does a lot wrong sells well, but the game that tried to learn from its mistakes sells abysmally.

That's how this stuff works though. You get hit on your next release if you burned people on the last one. Maybe if pre-order culture wasn't as prevalent it would be different...

What bullshit? The game is really good.

You always pay for the previous games mistakes. It happen with Unity to Syndicate and now watch dogs.

Look at COD. Ghosts sold well but people didn't like it so next year a much better game suffered.

Destiny 2 bomba next?

But also the hype for WD2 was real muted. The game just didn't look interesting imo. The tone just seemed off putting and a marketing team trying to be edgy and cool which rarely works out.

sjay1994

Also, these threads always are about the UK.

Is it because they release their numbers first? Or is the UK just stopped buying games?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Watch Dogs 1 released in May, when there had been stuff all released around that time. That + the hype around that time for the game its no wonder it sold a shit load more.

It was also released on 6 platforms, compared to 3 for WD2.

Also, these threads always are about the UK.

Is it because they release their numbers first? Or is the UK just stopped buying games?

They release sales data every Monday.

WD1 was bad game...I didnt understand why ubi did second one

i ll try it when it's free

No, it was an average game that didn't live up to expectations, and it sold ridiculously well, that's why they made a sequel.

WD2 looks much better than 1 but 1 was such a huge disappointment (along with AAA Ubisoft games in general) that I didn't even bother. I'll get it in a month or two for half off.

patapuf

Yeah, but those mid budget games people are hoping for? The big publishers will keep not making them. Because mid budget games are not what the big pubs (or whoever will replace them) do.

I don't think we'll ever go back to the variety at retail in the PS2 days. If you want that, you'll have to go digital. Just like now. In fact, if there's one thing a crash will do, it's establish digital as the default way to buy videogames.

Visibilty will keep being the biggest problem for them. And a crash usually also kills most opportunities for the little guys to get any kind of investment/capital.

Good to see the backlash to Ubi's bullshit.

This topic made me smile. Ubisoft is the worst offender with the open world tripe.

You always pay for the previous games mistakes. It happen with Unity to Syndicate and now watch dogs.

Look at COD. Ghosts sold well but people didn't like it so next year a much better game suffered.

Destiny 2 bomba next?

But also the hype for WD2 was real muted. The game just didn't look interesting imo. The tone just seemed off putting and a marketing team trying to be edgy and cool which rarely works out.

Destiny 2 might be the biggest game of 2017.

Top Bottom