• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion confirmed 4K/30 with RT on XsX/PS5

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Reddit

OJDfhT.jpg

regawdless

Banned
Not saying much. Is it native 4k or "4k"? What level of raytracing? I guess the quality of the raytracing will be significantly reduced compared to what's possible on PC (of course, I mean a 3080 costs more than the whole console).

Relativ9

With one of the few games that have the same feature sets on both consoles (and includes RT) I predict this will be the first game to be compared in the "two extra flops" war. If there is virtually no difference between the two versions a lot of people are going to be throwing shade around about developers targeting the lowest spec rendering the power increase irrelevant to everything but first party. If they're different, how will they be different? More stable locked 30fps (one would really hope both are locked 30)? native 4k vs dynamic 4k? RT reflections with more objects included? RT shadows? Global Illumination (doubt it)? View distance?

Max_Po

Banned
Seems reasonable, but I’d like a 1440p60 option.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Md Ray

Not bad. I thought 4K + RT wouldn't be very common, especially for multiplats. But I'm being proven wrong. Now the question is whether it's checkerboard 4K or straight up native.

Either way I'd be happy with any of the reconstruction/cb solution as long as the IQ looks indistinguishable from actual 4K.

Self

With one of the few games that have the same feature sets on both consoles (and includes RT) I predict this will be the first game to be compared in the "two extra flops" war.

Wouldn't that be Cyperpunk?

Can't wait for the meltdown here. It will be hilarious, guaranteed!

X has runs smoother, P has lesser pop in, X has this and P has that....

Relax and enjoy:

wgGNQtF.gif

It already started. Yes!

o6HYtNR.gif

There isnt anything to start and certainly not from me as i profoundly dislike any console, im a lifelong pc gamer. Its just an observation that a box has everything more powerfull than the second box. By which metric does a box that has every single component slower can output something superior ? With what parts, if they're all slower ?

Last edited:

ManaByte

This seems like deju vu with AC Valhalla where Ubi "confirmed" it was 30fps and then it turned out to be 60fps.

Concern

So Valhalla devs are a little more competent than WD devs? Honestly doesn't really matter, since both franchises are trash.

They're only shot at redeeming themselves is this weak ass next gen launch.

Freeman76

I was expecting 60fps as a standard mode next gen. Valhalla has it and that looks incredible. I probably wont buy this just to be stubborn lol

Banned
Its interesting that Valhalla runs at 4k/60, yet WatchDogs 4k/30 with RT puddles. RT halving that gpu in half, just for puddles that you wont even notice when playing.
Sorry but give me 60fps and no RT. In fact thats what i will be doing on PC.

you re aware tho that Watch Dogs takes place in a city with lots of reflective surfaces like windows, cars etc. right?

an option for 60fps should have been implemented tho, either do it like DMC5 and go 1080p60+RT or like Spider-Man 4k60 no RT

Arun1910

This seems like deju vu with AC Valhalla where Ubi "confirmed" it was 30fps and then it turned out to be 60fps.

They didn't, you just read their statement wrong.

They said it would run at a minimum 30fps. Not that it would not go higher if it wasn't possible to do so.

Plantoid

If it has 4k/60fps option I'm in, if the only option is 30fps I'm out, Im used to play on pc, only thing that made me buy a xsx was the 60fps promises

Hunnybun

you re aware tho that Watch Dogs takes place in a city with lots of reflective surfaces like windows, cars etc. right?

an option for 60fps should have been implemented tho, either do it like DMC5 and go 1080p60+RT or like Spider-Man 4k60 no RT

How come it seems like you need such a drastic cut in resolution to maintain RT at double the frame rate? Is RT disproportionately expensive at higher frames or something?

Wouldn't halving the resolution make up for doubling the frame rate, all other things bring equal? Or is it more complicated than that?

Myths

Going to have to see it to understand what type of RT is being implement and how the resolution is being handled.

Banned
How come it seems like you need such a drastic cut in resolution to maintain RT at double the frame rate? Is RT disproportionately expensive at higher frames or something?

Wouldn't halving the resolution make up for doubling the frame rate, all other things bring equal? Or is it more complicated than that?

high resolutions are what impacts Raytracing performance the most. the higher the resolution the more ray the game needs to shoot out per frame.

some developers opt to reduce the resolution of reflections either as an option or as a standard.
in Battlefield 5 for example the RT reflections run at ¼ resolution to improve performance.

Spider-Man on PS5 does the same thing.

in order to get high framerates on the new consoles when using raytracing developers most likely will have to run the games at 1440p or 1080p with ¼ resolution reflections

Top Bottom