• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legion - Xbox Series X/S Ray Tracing vs PC RTX - Features, Quality, Performance + More

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So how is Ubisoft achieving this? Is it a fully featured RT implementation comparable with PC? Well, the answer is no - and we know this not just from our eyeballing but also from the Watch Dogs: Legion PC version, which rather helpfully contains all of the settings data for every rendition of the game.
giphy.gif

Spokker

agreed. The X1 and PS4 were at best a hearty "meh" at launch already, hardware wise.
I disagree. Even the launch games for PS4 and Xbox One demonstrated a more significant leap from the previous generation, more so than the PS5/Xbox Series launch. Killzone: Shadow Fall and Forza 5 were unlike anything that could be achieved on PS3 and Xbox 360.

I think an Xbox One X gets you 80 to 90% of the way to Xbox Series X right now, and is superior to Xbox Series S. The ray traced reflections on Watch Dogs are ugly and people/cars/trees pop in and disappear regularly. Even Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox One X (30 fps mode) has features not available on Series X, such as headlight shadows and SSAO.

I think a second-hand Xbox One X is the better buy for at least the next year for someone on a budget.

Last edited:
I disagree. Even the launch games for PS4 and Xbox One demonstrated a more significant leap from the previous generation, more so than the PS5/Xbox Series launch. Killzone: Shadow Fall and Forza 5 were unlike anything that could be achieved on PS3 and Xbox 360.

I think an Xbox One X gets you 80 to 90% of the way to Xbox Series X right now, and is superior to Xbox Series S. The ray traced reflections on Watch Dogs are ugly and people/cars/trees pop in and disappear regularly. Even Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox One X (30 fps mode) has features not available on Series X, such as headlight shadows and SSAO.

I think a second-hand Xbox One X is the better buy for at least the next year for someone on a budget.
I bolded the part you ignored in your quote of my posting :)

agreed. The X1 and PS4 were at best a hearty "meh" at launch already, hardware wise.
PS4/X1 were at best on low-med desktop level at launch. PS5/XSX launched at a far higher tier from a hardware standpoint.
You are mixing up diminishing returns in the software with hardware tiers.

Last edited:

Spokker

I bolded the part you ignored in your quote of my posting :)

PS4/X1 were at best on low-med desktop level at launch. PS5/XSX launched at a far higher tier from a hardware standpoint.
Whatever "level" the PS4 and Xbox One were on, the launch games looked significantly better than what was on Xbox 360 and PS3, which were very old consoles at the time.

The PS4 and Xbox One had mid-cycle refreshes in that of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I think that's part of why we are not seeing a leap in graphical quality at launch. Without the One X especially, the Series X would look so much better.

And it goes without saying that the pandemic probably resulted in some launch or near-launch games being delayed.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ray Tracing is more performant for Nvidia over AMD.
Wow, performant is a real word?

per·form·ant
/pərˈfôrmənt/

adjective
COMPUTING

1. functioning well or as expected.
    "a highly performant database which is easy to use"
noun
RARE

1. a person who performs a duty or ceremony.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Can't wait to see PS5 vs. PC RT comparisons. If XSX performs worse than the previous gen midrange RTX 2060S in RT, where will PS5 land?

Based on that video, exactly the same (they go over the INI file for RT settings and it's the same on both platforms).

Whatever "level" the PS4 and Xbox One were on, the launch games looked significantly better than what was on Xbox 360 and PS3, which were very old consoles at the time.

The PS4 and Xbox One had mid-cycle refreshes in that of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I think that's part of why we are not seeing a leap in graphical quality at launch. Without the One X especially, the Series X would look so much better.

And it goes without saying that the pandemic probably resulted in some launch or near-launch games being delayed.

PS4 and Xbox One were complete shit right from the start. I remember loading up battlefield 4 and was just horrified at how that game looked and ran on Xbox compared to my old, mediocre PC with BF3.

Thankfully, that is not the case this gen. You do make a good point though - without the One X, the leap between the One S and Series X even for this game is pretty huge.

Yams

Xbox Series S is not looking good. 1080p resolution with drops to 900p. Yikes.

Honestly, six months ago I thought that if ray tracing was clicked on, all the consoles would need to run at 1080p or 1440p to manage it. 4k with ray tracing seemed like a pipe dream.

Kssio_Aug

And XSX and PS5 were advertised with 8k and 4k, neither of which are well met. XSS certainly has 1440p and even higher titles, it's just not going to do it at 60 or with RT at 30.
It's unbelievable that this "concern" has to be brought and explained every single Xbox thread.

Redlancet

Banned
Thread is off to an amazing start with the usual suspects already shitting it up.

A cross-gen launch title with ray tracing is not going to anything spectacular. We are going to have to wait for 1st party games to shine and for 2nd or 3rd yr 3rd party games.
we dont need to wait,miles morales its here right now

Great Hair

Banned
Both consoles are capable of 4K, but in reality they´re 1440p machines. Seems like they have not the bandwidth for 4K or RT at all in AAA games.

Md Ray

This is a very good and interesting analysis. As a PC gamer myself, those console settings he showed are really helpful to claw back additional performance when optimizing settings for 60fps and it also shows clever optimization techniques that devs use on consoles to get the most out of the hardware for best performance/visuals ratio.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
"After all, in the non-RT Gears 5, an RTX 2080 is said to be comparable to Series X, yet here in Watch Dogs: Legion with RT features active, an RTX 2060 Super seems to be more performant. "

A 2080 equivalent console with a 1TB SSD (and HW RT of any kind) would have been laughed at before the specs leaked as console players dreaming.

Series X is incredible value for $500.

Denton

That is a fantastic video by Alex. I can only echo his wish for developers to include console settings in their PC version, it would be helpful both for DF and for us, customers.

I am no longer that surprised by how badly WDL runs on PC. It runs terribly everywhere and there is no "secret sauce" that would make it run better on consoles.

Last edited:

Rob_27

So when MS said the cu's were able to run in parallel RT and Rasterising. This not the case here? Or is the engine not taking full advantage of both ps5 and series?

Or they are just brute forcing and this is what the results are?

sinnergy

So when MS said the cu's were able to run in parallel RT and Rasterising. This not the case here? Or is the engine not taking full advantage of both ps5 and series?

What do you think with new architectures in your hands for a couple of months .. ?

Md Ray

Remember when GAF was losing their mind when Alex used 2060S (something agreed by other DF members) for RT comparison with PS5? Once again, GAF experts prove that they know little to nothing and are just cry babies that have been proven wrong time and time again when it comes to this next gen stuff. Not matter how many times these people are proven wrong, they keep embarrassing themselves over and over.
It was a given that AMD will be behind NVIDIA in RT. So console GPU comparison against 2060S when RT is involved is not surprising. In rasterization though, both consoles are above 2060S.

diffusionx

Gold Member

These results look totally reasonable based on the specs of the hardware. If you were looking for some secret sauce to think they would outperform GPUs 2x as expensive, you fell for the hype.

sobaka770

Banned
Digital Foundry raking in all the views while the new consoles are still hot. What are they at: 2 videos per day?
And it's good stuff as well, not some sad speculative videos they were doing on trailers and Halo lighting.

This video especially is factual and on-point, good job.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
A 2080 equivalent console with a 1TB SSD (and HW RT of any kind) would have been laughed at before the specs leaked as console players dreaming.

Series X is incredible value for $500.
incredible value performance/price. Good thing pc gaming is far from being only about performance.

Senua

Digital Foundry raking in all the views while the new consoles are still hot. What are they at: 2 videos per day?
And it's good stuff as well, not some sad speculative videos they were doing on trailers and Halo lighting.

This video especially is factual and on-point, good job.
Yea i can imagine this kind of video taking a long arse time create

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was gonna buy this, but I am not down with being limited to 30 fps on PS5 and XSX. This needs a performance mode.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Damn I watched it now, that's a pretty poor implementation of RT on consoles.
Nah, If it's poor on consoles it's poor on PC too (or nether!). It's just NVIDIA being nuts as we won't see RT without them pushing.
Edit: So Alex was right with it's next gen to 2060s comparisons, lol.

Last edited:
Spider-Man MM already has better Raytracing and that’s a launch title. Expect Sony’s devs to really show what is possible in these areas over the next few years

So XSX could manage higher settings, if devs didn't go for paroty between the consoles? Was xsx tearing because it could run above 60fps? Haven't really kept up with this recently, ngl.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Damn I watched it now, that's a pretty poor implementation of RT on consoles.
I would not say poor but just checking off the ray tracing box for least die space possible. So they could beef up the rest of the GPU vs nvidia. It was in the patents. This was never a performance solution but die space saving one. It was never going to be a great performer. That is why I said for a long time don't bother with ray tracing except maybe sound.

Leonidas

Unfortunately you're only going to be disappointed if you're expecting particular differences since the ray tracing settings have already been found to be identical between the PS5 and XSX:

The game uses dynamic resolution scaling for the consoles, safe to say there will be differences in resolution, which does make a difference...

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Some of these PC cards are talking about cost more than and entire console, be realistic.

Also Series S is fine on a 1080p TV, it's quick, small and quiet. It's actually good value at £249 for a second or bedroom console.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Some of these PC cards are talking about cost more than and entire console, be realistic.

Also Series S is fine on a 1080p TV, it's quick, small and quiet. It's actually good value at £249 for a second or bedroom console.
And can do much more. What would be the point in buying these cards if they only could do the same or less than the console?

Riky

$MSFT
And can do much more. What would be the point in buying these cards if they only could do the same or less than the console?

I didn't say they couldn't, you'd expect them to when they cost more than a whole console, this has always been the case it's nothing new.

Spider-Man MM already has better Raytracing and that’s a launch title. Expect Sony’s devs to really show what is possible in these areas over the next few years

It doesnt. He says in the video, there are different compromises on both games. But they're pretty similar in their output.

Elios83

The game uses dynamic resolution scaling for the consoles, safe to say there will be differences in resolution, which does make a difference...

You were talking about ray tracing, there won't be any difference in its quality.
And I guess the rest will be similar to the AC:Valhalla situation in terms of dynamic performance and res. It's still Ubisoft.

Yams

So Alex was right that the consoles are 3060 Super level.

For raytracing specifically, right? Maybe I misunderstood.

It'll be interesting to see the results for Cyberpunk considering they went "all in" on raytracing.

Last edited:

Leonidas

You were talking about ray tracing, there won't be any difference in its quality.

Since the consoles run the same settings one of the consoles has to be compromised either in FPS or resolution. Lower resolution is not the same quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom