• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Media Coverage [Starts April 23]

kazebyaka

Banned
Nah, it'll be 75.
Name me the last AAA game from Ubisoft to have 75 on metacritic

Rayman Legends (PS4) - 90
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 84-88
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 82-84 (wii u inferior version is 75 tho)
Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

Let's not pretend that Ubisoft don't know how to make good games. Hate for Watch Dogs on GAF is just baffling to me.

Jhn

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 82-84 (wii u inferior version is 75 tho)
Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

Let's not pretend that Ubisoft don't know how to make good games. Hate for Watch Dogs on GAF is just baffling to me.

Jesus, that's just wrong.

Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

Indeed, minus AC3, all those game are fantastic and probably we will have to add Child of Light to that list.

Nydius

I agree that the revenge story is so played out and dumb that I stopped caring about the game.

And hacking looks so fucking lame too. All of the hacking shown so far is because the main character was given a magic phone that hacks what he wants at the press of a button. I had my doubts that the main character was a hacker at all until they had to straight up say it in the story trailer.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it just looks like another open world shooting/driving game with contextual powers.

This is precisely my fear too.

I've long stopped giving a shit about graphical downgrades or whatever the latest outrage of the moment may be but I can't shake this feeling that this game went from being something that could have been truly unique - a free roaming game where thoughtful hacking could change the environment while gunplay was a secondary or tertiary aspect of the design - to a typical GTA clone where hacking is just the game's "gimmick".

I hope we're both wrong but the more I see of this game the more it looks like every other carjacking and gun fight open world game on the market.

Squire

Banned
Out of curiosity, what is broken for you from a game that has yet to release? Don't take that as a snarky remark, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm speaking figuratively, if that wasn't clear.

I think Watch_Dogs has a great premise, but it doesn't look like they're capitalizing on that. So far it just looks like AC with a sci-fi skin (which is admittedly not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not remarkable either) and a generic story.

I was already worried about it after hearing it wasn't very good when people played it during the holidays last year, but the last few trailers have almost completely killed my interest. That last story trailer was particularly awful'

I applaud Ubisoft for delaying it, but the jury's o out on this one and it's not looking good.

Broken compared to what?
Broken how?

You guys read the post I quoted, right?

You understand that was a figurative reference and not a mechanical criticism of a game that's not going to be out for a month?

HowZatOZ

Banned

I think Watch_Dogs has a great premise, but it doesn't look like they're capitalizing on that. So far it just looks like AC with a sci-fi skin (which is admittedly not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not remarkable either) and a generic story.

I was already worried about it after hearing it wasn't very good when people played it during the holidays last year, but the last few trailers have almost completely killed my interest. That last story trailer was particularly awful'

I applaud Ubisoft for delaying it, but the jury's o out on this one and it's not looking good.

You understand that was a figurative reference and not a mechanical criticism of a game that's not going to be out for a month?
It came across as if you were stating the game was broken before it had come out was all :) I do agree that the story at this time does seem a bit cliche, but honestly I just need a good open-world game for PC as GTA5 won't be making the rounds any time soon. Of course, that doesn't mean Ubisoft can just put out an okay game, though their past titles have all been of superb quality (besides AC3) that I'm not particularly worried about.

In regards to open-world stories, it seems like no one has really hit that "perfect" spot yet. GTA5 was great for its style, but felt rather forced in some parts and exciting in others. I think the closest I've come to in saying "wow, that was an amazing story" was for Red Dead Redemption, but they really capitalised on the Wild West setting which helped a lot. Open-world games seem to just naturally suffer from rather stringed out or cliched stories because they are open-world and entice you to do whatever. This can sometimes work against the story where you have characters that can't be killed or places that can't be touched because they are assigned to the story.

Anyway, I'm eager to see what Watch Dogs is like, and from the gameplay I've seen it is looking rather spectacular. I don't quite get the rather rabid mentality many have when Watch Dogs' graphics are brought up, as every trailer I've seen they aren't reminisce of 90's styles or PS2 quality (some of which is thrown around a lot in those very threads which is clearly hyperbole). Yeah the whole bait 'n switch from E3 2012 is annoying, but if anyone actually expected that quality on release they were dreaming rather vividly.

No sorry, didn't understand that.
That's why i asked.

garyBig

I'd say AC3 is the best of the bunch, but that's just me

Well, I share this opinion. But I get why people were fatigued to death by the time. I felt the same with Revelations. God, did I loathe that garbage. Then, a year later I returned to it and actually liked it again. Along came AC3 and I was surprised how good it was. Guess the same thing happened with the majority on Gaf here, only that it was AC3 they hated. Also the reason why Black Flag got so hyped up around here. Personally, I encountered a lot more bugs in 4 than in 3. And the game really took the fun out of that naval awesomeness we once felt. I hope Unity will unite us all in favor of the game. (Or the opposite, but a good AssCreed would be very welcome)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, I share this opinion. But I get why people were fatigued to death by the time. I felt the same with Revelations. God, did I loathe that garbage. Then, a year later I returned to it and actually liked it again. Along came AC3 and I was surprised how good it was. Guess the same thing happened with the majority on Gaf here, only that it was AC3 they hated. Also the reason why Black Flag got so hyped up around here. Personally, I encountered a lot more bugs in 4 than in 3. And the game really took the fun out of that naval awesomeness we once felt. I hope Unity will unite us all in favor of the game. (Or the opposite, but a good AssCreed would be very welcome)

It wasn't a matter of fatigue. It was a matter of the game made the start of Skyward Sword look fast paced. The game just took waaaaaaaay too long to get going. It's possible the game got good eventually, but I really didn't have the patience to find out.

Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

Yeah, Ubisoft's name really is mud around here for next-to-no reason.

garyBig

It wasn't a matter of fatigue. It was a matter of the game made the start of Skyward Sword look fast paced. The game just took waaaaaaaay too long to get going. It's possible the game got good eventually, but I really didn't have the patience to find out.

Oh, okay. Totally forgot about that neverending tutorial stage. I guess I was just lucky not to get too turned off by it, then. I think the setting (and the character) just had me immersed enough not to. But I empathize with your experience of the game. They really went a bit too far with that.

After that, though, I really liked the setting, graphics, hunting, nature traversal, naval missions and a few other things that elude my mind right now :)

EDIT: ah i even liked the Desmond stuff (despite the ending obviously being an abomination beyond redemption, but hey, it's AC after all)

Can't wait for this!! This will be my game of the summer. I will be free roaming the shit out of this. I think we should set up another dummy PSN account for this game much like we did for Trials!

Albo

Yeah, Ubisoft's name really is mud around here for next-to-no reason.

A giant green exact arbitrary number says they are very good therefore they must be very good.

They aren't bad really, but they have many common flaws throughout multiple games that have started to affect overall game quality and my enjoyment.

Phil4000

Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

Yup, Ubisoft have been making better games than EA lately...
Hope Watch_Dogs turns out well.

The media in Europe is posting this images as new today. They are not new to me but maybe people didn't see them before, nothing groundbreaking anyway.

watch_dogs-2513357w6fso.jpg

watch_dogs-2513359pgen4.jpg

watch_dogs-2513361loegx.jpg

watch_dogs-2513377ivieb.jpg

watch_dogs-25133638tfwt.jpg

watch_dogs-2513365j6eye.jpg

watch_dogs-2513367kcei3.jpg

watch_dogs-25133698gf9u.jpg

watch_dogs-25133719sf1w.jpg

watch_dogs-25133735ddfj.jpg

watch_dogs-2513375scc73.jpg

kudoboi

The media in Europe is posting this images as new today. They are not new to me but maybe people didn't see them before, nothing groundbreaking anyway.

watch_dogs-25133719sf1w.jpg

those dots on the waves would really ruin the immersion for me. hopefully they aren't there in the actual game

SJRB

Gold Member
those dots on the waves would really ruin the immersion for me. hopefully they aren't there in the actual game

Of course those are not in the game. That's a screengrab from the tech trailer showing off their engine's water movement.

Dawg

Of course those are not in the game. That's a screengrab from the tech trailer showing off their engine's water movement.

This.

If you still have doubts, I drove a pretty huge boat through the water and didn't see anything like that at all.

Haha, to begin Watch Dog week filled with exclusive footage here is a video of...games that aren't Watch Dogs! Hurrah! Very canny that one. Yeah, don't click on the video if you are interested in WD.

QaaQer

Assassin's Creed 3 - 85
Far Cry 3 - 90

The anit-hype is baffling to me as well. I also found the hype around GTA5 baffling. People are strange and can be quite prejudicial.

I do believe that Ubi has pumped enough money into focus group testing and reviewer consultation fees* that it will be a 85+ metacritic game.

*the practice of hiring current and former reviewers to play a game, then write a review and score the game. Gameplay, story, ettc is then altered to maximize the probable metacritic score. IMO, this is the real reason WD was delayed, i.e. because it didn't cater enough to the (mostly) white, 20-40 year old game jorno. And as such, if you dont have the same tastes in games as those guys, you probably wont like this game.

Samyy

I would not be surprised if it ends up being one of Ubisofts most profitable ventures this year.

Its questionable how profitable the game will be considering the massive investment and delays, I bet they are more concerned about making this successful in the sense that they can turn it into a giant franchise.

Why does the Sears Tower look totally normal in some pictures and video and criminally wrong in others? Even in the PAX East footage there's a part where the player opens the map and you can see the outline of downtown. Sears Tower looks accurate there.

DrBo42

Why does the Sears Tower look totally normal in some pictures and video and criminally wrong in others? Even in the PAX East footage there's a part where the player opens the map and you can see the outline of downtown. Sears Tower looks accurate there.

Are you the guy that posted the comparison pic in one of the other threads? Something with the antennae, right? Seemed to me that from one angle the antennae is silhouetted by the other making it look like only 1. You can almost see it happening here:

Top Bottom