• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PR stunt sees bomb squad called to evacuate building

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://mumbrella.com.au/australia-s...gency-sends-suspicious-package-ninemsn-229352

A PR stunt for a new video game saw the bomb squad called to Ninemsn’s offices yesterday afternoon after a black safe was delivered to the Australia Square offices of the publisher along with a “suspicious” letter which told a reporter to “check your voicemail”.

However, the reporter did not have a voicemail, and when staff tried to enter a pin code taped to the top of the safe, which was dropped off by a courier but not signed for, it started to beep but did not open, leading to fears it could be an explosive device.

Mi9 staff on the sixth floor of the George Street offices were sent home, and bomb squad officers called in to open the box in the basement of the building. Inside was a copy of new Ubisoft video game Watch Dogs alongside a baseball cap and beanie, and a note saying it was embargoed until 5pm.

Ninemsn editor Hal Crawford told Mumbrella: “This is definitely the other side of the line in terms of what it’s safe for a PR company to send anonymously to a newsroom. The thing was black, heavy and slightly creepy.

“We did check with other newsrooms to see if they had received a similar package as we thought it was a PR stunt, but no-one else had. We weren’t panicked at any point, but given there was no note explaining what it was, we had to take sensible precautions.”

Ubisoft has not responded to Mumbrella’s repeated requests for comment today, and it is unclear whether the package was sent by the internal PR team, or an agency acting on their behalf.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/05/28/15/14/suspicious-package-sees-ninemsn-office-evacuated
Ninemsn does not cover video games.

PtpL2bs.png

glLNJRHl.jpg

aLSamlJ.png

Armaros

Who would ever think this was a good idea in this day and age, with this political climate.

Someone that should/is going to get fired.

Soulflarz

Banned
Seems like a dumb idea.
Think about it. I send you a package then i send you a voicemail with the code. Whats cool about that.

Freeman

Banned
I would not be surprised if in the future publishers sent real bombs to promote their games, anything to get the numbers up I guess.

kulapik

The fact that they didn't have voicemail and the website doesn't cover videogames show that someone messed up with the receiver.

However, the reporter did not have a voicemail, and when staff tried to enter a pin code taped to the top of the safe, which was dropped off by a courier but not signed for, it started to beep but did not open, leading to fears it could be an explosive device.

Alright who thought this was a good idea?

rjinaz

The whole thing seems off to me. Of course whichever company received this would think it was a bomb, they would have to assume it was. Horrible PR move from whomever sent it.

thefro

Ubisoft ought to be forced to pay for the police response. Hopefully the bomb squad response didn't pull emergency services away from preventing other crimes.

J3ffro

Probably not the smartest move. But seriously, who doesn't have voicemail? I don't check mine with any regularity, but it exists.

The Cowboy

People are so afraid of a little fun anymore.
This is not something that is "a little fun", this is a strange package being sent to a building with no explanation as to why (and that started beeping) - this is far from a little fun, its bloody idiotic and very dangerous.

That's a safe? When I think of safes I think of the things that Bugs Bunny drops on Yosemite Sam.

Man I loved the news surrounding the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie's marketing campaign.

The whole thing seems off to me. Of course whichever company received this would think it was a bomb, they would have to assume it was. Horrible PR move from whomever sent it.

Apparently they didn't think it was a bomb (at first) since, you know, they actually tried to open it using the PIN taped to it.

Top Bottom