• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs will arrive on Wii U in Fall 2014

RiggyRob

As someone that is currently hyped as fuck for a port of Borderlands 2, it seems weird to see people crushed over a six month delay. If the games good, it'll still be good in six months.

Funnily enough, a Fall 2014 release date would help the Wii U drought in between Mario Kart and Smash. Whether it'll actually ever get released is the problem. I have no problem buying the superior (gameplay) version of it on Wii U for full price.

Edit: The quote seems to suggest it could possibly be an eShop only release? I don't know, but I do hope it does get released in some form, maybe as a Director's Cut like Deus Ex.

Vagabundo

I've zero interest in getting this for any platform right now, but in six months I might for the Wii U if it is competent.

Taker666

I'll get it if it's decent..but not until the price drops to the same as the other versions which will probably be $20 by then.

If it came out at the same time as the others I'd buy it at full price (if it reviewed well)...but not 3-6months later.

Kazerei

Banned
Heh, now I wonder which version will hit $20 first. Judging from Assassin's Creed III and IV, the Wii U version will price bomba faster than the PS360 versions, but it's being released at least a few months later. Will be interesting to see heh heh.

VariantX

Too late. The other versions will start to see discounts by then. Everyone willing to pay $60 will already have the game by then.

AdanVC

Great! It's obvious it would not have the best graphicel fidelity compared to PC/PS4 but sure it would be the most unique experience thanks to the Gamepad. It's perfect to use it as Aiden's Smarthphone to quickly switch through menus and making it very dinamyc. Ubisoft did an excellent job using the Gamepad features on ZombiU they would do good this time as well. I'm probably on the minority but this is the version I would buy of Watch_Dogs :)

lewisgone

The Gamepad in Assassins Creed 4 was reasonably useful so if I'm going to try out Watch Dogs I'll probably try it out on Wii U, if they are telling the truth and putting the effort in. Assassins Creed 3 used the Gamepad terribly, but then again the UI in that game was bad on every platform.

Don't worry, Ubisoft will figure that out before Fall 2014.

And then, of course, they'll blame it on the Wii U, instead of their stupid decisions. I'm not saying the game would sell great if it released the same day on the Wii, but it would certainly have a better shot.

It's better than having Ubisoft Bucharest do nothing. So they can at least do something for their salaries.And labour is relatively cheap in Romania.

So could it be that it's cheaper to just push to release rather than loosing money by canceling it outright (which I still feel is a possibility).

What are you talking about?

Zombi U was a new IP(Yes I know there was an original) in a niche genre. Although ZombiU was great it was lacking features that other games have with zero hype and marketing behind it.

I really loved Zombi U and I hope for a new one but come on, Zombi U on any other platform probably wouldn't have done much better.

Plus Rayman sold best on the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

In terms of total copies sold or attach rate?

Every time I hear about this game I'm less interested but if they can find a compelling use for the gamepad I'll pick it up for sure. The Wii U version is the only one I have any interest in at this point.

Shiggy

So could it be that it's cheaper to just push to release rather than loosing money by canceling it outright (which I still feel is a possibility).

Maybe Nintendo convinced them by offering a spot in an upcoming Nintendo Direct.

Perhaps it will even launch at a cheaper price when the other versions are at 19.99 € in October. (haha, no)

Back to being serious, it probably would've made more sense to put the team on producing assets for another Ubisoft game. But then Ubisoft Shanghai might not have a job anymore.

What are you talking about?

Zombi U was a new IP(Yes I know there was an original) in a niche genre. Although ZombiU was great it was lacking features that other games have with zero hype and marketing behind it.

I really loved Zombi U and I hope for a new one but come on, Zombi U on any other platform probably wouldn't have done much better.

Plus Rayman sold best on the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

In terms of total copies sold or attach rate?

In Japan, in terms of total copies. For other regions we don't have any data past the first month. Total sales were really low, but the Wii U version fared best if I remember correctly.

Effect

If Ubisoft Bucharest gives us exclusive missions, Mario's kart as one of the vehicles and strong gamepad specific features, I will gave them my $60.

Something along these lines is what will get me to still get the Wii U if the game turns out well in the end. That's still up in the air. I don't care about the release date anymore. Personally I have enough to play between the Wii U/3DS/PC. If there isn't something to show for the delay then I'm not going to bother.

phanphare

Banned
Yea, but it was already a fanbase that didn't really support Ubi games despite Ubi showing a ton of support early on. Ubisoft even put out an exclusive launch title, among other titles at launch, and still got shat on by the Wii U fanbase. They were probably just returning the favor.

What I'm saying is, ZombiU deserved better sales.

except Rayman sold better on the Wii U and would have likely sold much better in February considering the post-launch drought.

but ZombiU did deserve better

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So glad I canceled my preorder. I'll considering buying Watch_Dogs if it's an actual competent port, though I have my doubts.

Budget price, all DLC included, cool exclusive features/extras, and I could bite. Otherwise? Why even bother.

Also this.

Richie

Budget price, all DLC included, cool exclusive features/extras, and I could bite. Otherwise? Why even bother.

Anth0ny

I'd still be surprised if this game actually comes out on Wii U.

If it does... congrats on the 100 copies sold? I guess?

Ludist210

My backlog is already huge (PS3/Wii U/3DS), and if, for some reason, Smash Bros. and/or X hit before this does on Wii U, my chances of purchasing it then go from very slim to no chance at all.

impact

Banned
except Rayman sold better on the Wii U and would have likely sold much better in February considering the post-launch drought.

but ZombiU did deserve better

2D platformer originally slated as Wii U exclusive sells more on Wii U. Shocking

Except not, because Origin was a mega bomb and Legends wasn't anywhere near as good. I don't think anyone expected Legends to sell well on PS3 or 360, especially with the game coming out around the same time as GTA V (a game which Wii U did not get)

And it's not just about ZombiU, all the other Ubisoft ports to Wii U flopped with Splinter Cell being the biggest offender. You can't blame them really, they're some of the only third party pubs supporting Wii U and they don't get rewarded for it by the fanbase.

Bollocks

2408813-6497602437-13694.gif

needs updating!

may as well reverse the gif

trixx

Those generalizations. Gotta love em
Right?

So long as the game is good and the value ends up being good, I don't see the really see it as a big issue, however I hope its not launching at full price unless it has some included dlc.

But yeah if it has extra features, runs well, and has overall good value then I'll pick it up.

phanphare

Banned
2D platformer originally slated as Wii U exclusive sells more on Wii U. Shocking

Except not, because Origin was a mega bomb and Legends wasn't anywhere near as good. I don't think anyone expected Legends to sell well on PS3 or 360, especially with the game coming out around the same time as GTA V (a game which Wii U did not get)

And it's not just about ZombiU, all the other Ubisoft ports to Wii U flopped with Splinter Cell being the biggest offender. You can't blame them really, they're some of the only third party pubs supporting Wii U and they don't get rewarded for it by the fanbase.

well it obviously was shocking to Ubi considering they delayed the game 2 weeks before it released to appease the other console makers and bring in more sales.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very strange. It is very likely going to be the worst version of the game (technically speaking) so coming later kind of kills ANY shot it has of selling. AC3 and 4 both ran slower on Wii U than any other platform and I don't see that changing with Watch Dogs. We'll see, though.

Most people interested in the game will no doubt play it elsewhere before Fall, though.

Yea, but it was already a fanbase that didn't really support Ubi games despite Ubi showing a ton of support early on. Ubisoft even put out an exclusive launch title, among other titles at launch, and still got shat on by the Wii U fanbase. They were probably just returning the favor.

What I'm saying is, ZombiU deserved better sales.

But 5-600k sales is not as bad as ubi makes it seem. I mean the budget could not have even been very high for a game like ZombiU, although I found it to be an amazing game.

I bet they have high expectations for this title. Prepare for the massive marketing campaign!
No. They will just stealth release it and keep mum about the 14 units sold.

This is just depressing...

Exile20

Rayman being a 2d platformer, Timing, other game release during the same time doesn't matter. It sold best on that platform. What is the issue? Why are you making excuses?

You mean the same Splintercell that was missing features? Yes everyone should buy that version when everyone has a ps3/x360.

If Ubisoft was feeling that way towards the Wii U fanbase they had plenty of time to cancel the game. I have no clue what your point is.

Top Bottom