• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Playstation's E3 conference in movie theaters

Symphonic

Nashville turned out to be a pretty good time.

I was sitting behind a GAF guy in the middle. Next to the guys with the beers. I also met a gaffer on the way out, but I forget his username. Kyle, nice to meet you.

LBP got a much bigger reaction than I thought, which is awesome. Bigger than Destiny and other shooters. Sad to not see any driving or extreme sports games.

I have not redeemed my code yet, but it sounds like we just got a weak invite to the betas and that iffy poster. Still a lot of fun, despite the seizure glitches in the middle, lol.

Hey I was there! Mildly freaked out when they mentioned GAF, but you must have been farther back.

I was amazed at how common the Dorito Pope thing is,
Its what everyone was calling him in regular discussions before the show started and then like 90% of the audience shouted it during the after show.

LBP3 reveal was the most fun reaction in Minneapolis, followed by the white PS4 and probably Batman I'd say. There was a ~10 minute period where the stream was constantly fucking up with the entire screen scrambling and cutting to black with audio breaks so people were kinda upset about that. It happened during the end of Farcry 4 and the part where they were reading "letters" about indies or whatever.

Kyzon

Vegas gaf was calm until MKX came on and then uncharted and Batman.

I was the guy wearing a Majora's Mask Shirt and Link Hat.

NastyBook

How'd it go ATLGaf?
It went. I had fun, but I didn't meet anybody from GAF, unfortunately. Guess everybody was too scared to yell out "GAF?" to people in the line. But yeah, this was a great idea, and I hope it didn't cost Sony much to not do it again next year.

The show had its highs and lows throughout the night. Here are just a few of mine:

Highs

• Collective groans during the Kingdom Heats Remix trollveal
  • More Collective groans when the triangle icon appeared on Galahad during the 1886 gameplay footage
  • The surprise cheers from the crowd when LBP3 showed up
  • The groans from the crowd when the lady on the LBP3 demo was TOO FUCKING LOUD
  • INDIES! (I actually want a Brobocop game now)
  • Pop for Bloodborne reveal
  • The whole attack sequence in FC4
  • The previously spoiled No Man' Sky and MGSV trailers
  • Getting the weirdest boner from female Waspinator in MKX
  • Sub Zero's icicle prison shank grab animation
  • RATCHET MOVIE!
  • Theater's laugh at TLOU's spoiler warning
  • Theater's gasp at the first spoiler arguably being the biggest in the game
  • Theater's slow realization that they were watching the GTAV PS4 edition trailer
  • The pop when Trevor shows up on screen
  • Iron Batman suiting up and being shit hot awesome
  • The theater losing its shit thinking the glitches and hiccups they've been experiencing all night on the stream had somehow managed to fuck up the entire stage during the Batman trailer
  • Screams when the Naughty Dog logo showed

Lows

• TVTVTVTVTVTVTVALFREDHITCHCOCK'SNEWSHOWTVTVTVTVTV
  • No Jack Tretton
  • Jack Tretton's replacement going STATSTATSSTATSSTATSSTATSSTATS
  • No TLG (TGS, I guess?)
  • This dude that I ended up sitting next to snarkily critiqued everything the entire night. It also didn't help that his breath was so fucking terrible that it literally permeated my clothes. I smelled his mouth fungus all the way home. Took my shit off before I even got near my wife, then febreezed it before I threw it in the hamper.

It was weird, though. I enjoyed seeing the games, but I thought the overall show was pretty weak. I still want Sony to do another one next year. ATL GAF'll just have to have a set meeting time or something.

Afrikan

is there any footage online, of that extra 30mins of bonus interviews and trailers?

I found an article of someone explaining what was shown, but I haven't read it yet.

I'd like to watch video footage first if possible.

I had to leave as soon as the presentation was over and missed the extra stuff.

Nashville turned out to be a pretty good time.

I was sitting behind a GAF guy in the middle. Next to the guys with the beers. I also met a gaffer on the way out, but I forget his username. Kyle, nice to meet you.

LBP got a much bigger reaction than I thought, which is awesome. Bigger than Destiny and other shooters. Sad to not see any driving or extreme sports games.

I have not redeemed my code yet, but it sounds like we just got a weak invite to the betas and that iffy poster. Still a lot of fun, despite the seizure glitches in the middle, lol.

Could be coincidence, but I was sitting directly behind a group of three or four guys with beers in the middle. Pretty good show, was worried about the stream quality for a while there.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Could be coincidence, but I was sitting directly behind a group of three or four guys with beers in the middle. Pretty good show, was worried about the stream quality for a while there.

Middle, ever slight left of center? I was sitting to the right of those guys.

geomon

[*]This dude that I ended up sitting next to snarkily critiqued everything the entire night. It also didn't help that his breath was so fucking terrible that it literally permeated my clothes. I smelled his mouth fungus all the way home. Took my shit off before I even got near my wife, then febreezed it before I threw it in the hamper.

Ew, that's foul!

Hey, so I missed my chance to use my code didn't I? I heard it had to be redeemed by 11:00.

11:59PM Pacific, tonight.

Ohhh I thought that time seemed too soon. Can someone help me then? I feel really dumb, but every time I go to the url it just pops up blank. Like it's the sony site but there is no place to put in a code...

RE_Player

The best part of the Toronto showing for me was the No Man's Sky. It started silent when they showed the initial footage but when it was explained that everyone starts on a different planet and no two planet is alike there were audible gasps.

That guy was my friend who absolutely loves Powers and Bendis. I'm excited about it too, but it had no place in that conference. I was the bearded guy sitting right next to him.

I might have sat next to you. I was a guy with a shaved head and short beard. I might have said something like, "Well that's one way to move their TVs" during the Playstation Now portion.

Ephemeris

M1pZGLz.jpg

LA century city

haha, that's me with my feet up

Meh. I was at that one as well, it was nice to hear the positive feedback when the Naughty Dog logo showed up at the end for Uncharted 4. I just couldn't get as hype because I was sure it was going to be there.

I was shocked at the responses in our theater. Like it seemed the audience was dead during Destiny, GTAV, Far Cry. Just mild applause(hell I dont even remember any for GTAV) but people erupted during Mortal Kombat? It was kind of weird. Didn't help that I had some wise guy behind me cracking lame ass jokes the entire time.

Vegas gaf was calm until MKX came on and then uncharted and Batman.

I was the guy wearing a Majora's Mask Shirt and Link Hat.
I was wondering if someone here went to the Vegas showing. Not surprised it was calm for most of the time. How many people were there? Did they give away any free stuff?

This place is popular in movies and television but it seems like nobody ever lives in this damn town and if they do, they don't stay here long. I hate Vegas.

OmahaG8

More Collective groans when the triangle icon appeared on Galahad during the 1886 gameplay footage

Was in Omaha, and had the same thing occur. Though I will say the groans turned into definite excitement by the end of the trailer.

Also, and I could be mistaken, but I think Mortal Kombat gameplay footage got the loudest clap. Bloodborne was great, but leaked, and it showed.

Jeels

A very well produced conference, with some annoying anti-Xbox people behind me. Came off as a bit juvenile, but hey, they probably were. I like to think that anyone over 17 doesn't actually "hate xbox". That's dumb.

Ya that one guy screamimg came off as very childish. The crowd in general felt super young. But it seemed like people were having a good time.

Jeels !! Sorry !! I didn't get any of your messages. Sorry. Come see Guardians of the Galaxy with us or something. And yeah, no shirts in Houston.

Hey man, its all good! I had brought a friend with me so I wasnt forever alone or anything haha. When are you guys seeing GotG? Im glad you all had fun.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm glad our theater was pretty responsive the whole way through. The only time it dulled down was the obvious TV section, but everything else was met with screams, laughs, groans, etc. The KH 2.5 troll trailer had the entire theater booing lol.

Concept17

Seattle crowd had a nice reaction to LBP3, Grim Fandango, and more than anything else, UC4.

Naturally everyone was excited about indies, especially No Man's Sky. Everyone had their eyes glued to that showing in particular.

Colby

I went to the St. Louis one. I didn't notice a reaction from the audience when GAF was mentioned, so I don't know how many gaffers were there. The video was mostly great, but there was some hiccups. Luckily, the hiccups weren't during important gameplay videos.

I'm slightly disappointed in the gifts only because I don't have a PS4. I think a T-shirt or something would appeal to a lot more people, but maybe that's just me.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Was in Omaha, and had the same thing occur. Though I will say the groans turned into definite excitement by the end of the trailer.
Also, and I could be mistaken, but I think Mortal Kombat gameplay footage got the loudest clap. Bloodborne was great, but leaked, and it showed.
Yeah, it's possible MKX got got the most claps out of anything. Which just completely baffles me. Since when is MK a super awesome epic franchise again?
Ya that one guy screamimg came off as very childish. The crowd in general felt super young. But it seemed like people were having a good time.
Hey man, its all good! I had brought a friend with me so I wasnt forever alone or anything haha. When are you guys seeing GotG? Im glad you all had fun.
The dude stopped trying to predict stuff after I corrected him early-ish in the conference. It seems the current plan is release night at The Palladium.

fernoca

Since when is MK a super awesome epic franchise again?
Since...forever?! :p
Outside of online forums (not including MK centric ones), Mortal Kombat is quite big and lets not forget the movies (and the soundtrack) were a huge success that seems even parents taught their children as I've seen many kids screaming "Mortaaal Kombaaat". :p

Is part of the reason Sony has a good relationship with the MK team and even published MKII on PS3 (among other things): it has been an established multi-million seller which they recognized...and the latest one ended been the highest selling entry in the franchise so things has been going up.

Did anyone see the cut off date printed anywhere? Our "Sony" rep didn't tell us when it expired, and I apparently missed out on redeeming not one but TWO passes.

Pretty crestfallen at this point to be honest. I was thinking we'd have a few days at least, and it makes me want to punch myself.

Especially if the cut off date is emblazoned somewhere on a Sony site.

Deeke[VRZ];115945391 said:
Did anyone see the cut off date printed anywhere? Our "Sony" rep didn't tell us when it expired, and I apparently missed out on redeeming not one but TWO passes.

Pretty crestfallen at this point to be honest. I was thinking we'd have a few days at least, and it makes me want to punch myself.

Yeah, I didn't redeem my second pass but luckily I redeemed one :( I never noticed a cutoff date when I went on.

Sorral

Ew, that's foul!

11:59PM Pacific, tonight.

Wow, I literally missed it by an hour then when tried to redeem it. Oh well.

I tried contacting support chat, but he said since the page was down, there is no way to redeem it now.

No deadline mention from what I remember, E3 isn't even over and only up for a day to redeem it. Pretty disappointed because I'm not even interested in the $5 since I just really wanted to try out Destiny.
Maybe I'll have better luck with the Alpha sign up page.

I did the same thing and signed up for the alpha. I think this was Sony's way to recoup some of those millions they were giving out in vouchers...but really it feels underhanded. I like Sony quite a bit and it makes sense for a company to do this, but it burrrrns nonetheless.

Oh well, Beta is next month so it's not so bad....I guess ._.

Magnus

Reading that the biggest, most positive reactions were to LBP 3 makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I just don't think people were expecting a logo to show up so suddenly on the screen without a verbal announcement first. It shocked and surprised so early in the conf.

So after decompressing a bit, what'd you guys think of the movie theater concept?

It was a bit of a bummer that the stream had some issues, since that stuff -terrifies- me (I have some small experience in that sort of thing), but it seemed to have worked alright for the important stuff.

I liked that the stuff we got was related to the conference itself, as well as some small goodies like the PSN money and Music Unlimited trial. I know people were expecting more, but that just felt like a pipedream.

I loved that, in Philly, they put us in the RPX screening, which was the biggest one Regal has, and also the one with the really nice recliners and such. Was a great experience there. People getting hype for surprise announcements was a pretty fun deal and made it seem like a bigger thing to me too.

I'd definitely do it again if I had the chance. I just hope that next year I can swing actually going!

LaneDS

Count me amongst the folks that didn't realize there was an expiration date to our codes and missed the chance to redeem it. Oh well. Was looking forward to trying Destiny this weekend, but I'll live.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

WHAT THE FUCK

I was going to redeem this Friday when I actually had some time to sit down and play.

Top Bottom