• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Playstation's E3 conference in movie theaters

Yeah, it's possible MKX got got the most claps out of anything. Which just completely baffles me. Since when is MK a super awesome epic franchise again?

The dude stopped trying to predict stuff after I corrected him early-ish in the conference. It seems the current plan is release night at The Palladium.
Count me in for gotg at the Palladium. And admiral woofington, probably.

And holy fuck the codes expired? I used mine yesterday night... When did they expire?

ViciousDS

Banned
Chicago

Had a fun time. Brought my 4 year old son ( youngest gamer in the theater)

HAHAHAHA I know what beast looks like........and was proud to see such a little guy in the theater. Was he excited for LBP3? I was the dude in the Red Fleece directing everyone into the theater room along with my other MVP compatriot.

LaneDS

We had essentially one day to redeem the codes. Would have been nice if the Sony reps explained that to us, because the badge certainly doesn't (apparently the site did).

nelchaar

Bunch of bullshit. Tried to redeem my code now.. IT'S EXPIRED. You'd think Sony would bother letting you know these things expire! Nope.

Chicago

Had a fun time. Brought my 4 year old son ( youngest gamer in the theater)

Had a good time in Chicago as well, was really fun besides the few times the stream got wacky. I was there with my girlfriend (girl in the green shirt) who fell asleep just before the end of it. She isn't a gamer at all so can't blame her!

@thebiglouie 5:22 PM
Phone is too ghetto to post on NeoGAF. Can one of you post my twitter address in the Sony theater thread? TIA

https://twitter.com/thebiglouie/status/476157354376196097
Thanks Wario.

I went to the Century City screening.

g8zSRw3.jpg

I drove 3 hours to get here. I was hesitant about going after signing up because of the rumor of the prizes being just codes and I didn't want to drive just for a viewing and codes. But I had nothing better to do that day and went anyway.

DT1FLnr.jpg

1BuBb7D.jpg

At around 3:30pm, there was already a line forming. I later learned that most of the people in line where for stand-by and I was registered, so I didn't have to stick around.

vw2AioT.jpg

The theater lobby was stuffy, but thankfully, no one stunk too bad. I went outside and walked around, since I never been at Century City before.

o9sPdhb.jpg

PKk1YOh.jpg

I found a caviar vending machine. Yes, that says $400. 0_0

qp4tG2W.jpg

One thing I didn't expect was a camera crew. They were with PlayStation interviewing various people in line. I wasn't interviewed and I didn't catch what exactly they were asking everyone. A lady in a black jacket gave everyone release forms to sign. The camera panned around everyone, so everyone there should be on video, whenever it comes out.

y0Lmkr7.jpg

Left line was for registered, right line was for stand-by. A few seconds after this was taken, they started bringing people in to the theater.

6sUjsae.jpg

I got... whoever this is... from The Order 1886

M1pZGLz.jpg

LA century city
That's me in the white polo next to the two empty Reserved seats.

nmniGhV.jpg

People behind me while the theater was filling up.

UwdaRqU.jpg

The camera crew was still there! Before the conference started, they had the camera in the middle front and told everyone in the theater to scream "Greatness Awaits!" towards them. They stayed there during the press conference in that corner. I think they filmed people's reactions in the dark.

As most others reported, the satellite feed broke up right before the conference started, and in the middle of the Devolver segment. The feed problems affected my mood significantly and almost took me out of enjoying it. This was my biggest worry about the theater viewing and it happened. I kept worrying that it would happen again, but thankfully, it didn't break up too bad after the second time.

The mood of the theater was very positive. I was worried that some smartasses would bash announcements out loud, but none of that happened. The air was cool and there was no bad smell, which was a big surprise since most were waiting in the stuffy lobby. I thought it would be dumb and lame to watch a press conference on a screen with others, but it ended up being enjoyable. Reacting to announcements along with hundreds of others was kind of fun.

Biggest reactions were for LittleBigPlanet 3 (I didn't know that many people still liked LBP), Uncharted 4, and GTA V for PS4.

The interview segment after the conference was lame. Most of the stuff shown was already shown in the conference, so there wasn't anything interesting. The PS4 background music playing throughout it was also distracting. Everyone was quiet throughout it. We found out what the bonuses were (they were codes after all *sigh*), we went out and got a small poster. I think there was a table with around 50 more lanyards with codes but I didn't grab one.

eVqL9OL.jpg

My "haul", including the Reserved sign.

RSDcRRu.jpg

Goodbye Century City. I drove 3 hours back home.

Overall, it was okay. If it wasn't for the feed problems, I would have enjoyed it more. I won't go to a future viewing unless they have one somewhere in central California where I live, but that is never happening.

Bunch of bullshit. Tried to redeem my code now.. IT'S EXPIRED. You'd think Sony would bother letting you know these things expire! Nope.

Damn it. I had no idea they expired so fast! I was going to give away my code on GAF, too, after I offered it to the person who's ticket number got me in.

Rampage99

The two friends I went with both missed out on the freebies due to the deadline as well. I just happened to put my code in about 30 minutes before it expired. So... When are we supposed to get the email with the alpha/beta/trial/$5 voucher? They said today and I haven't gotten anything. With the Destiny alpha being so short I'm hoping they get this out relatively early.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So after decompressing a bit, what'd you guys think of the movie theater concept?

It was a bit of a bummer that the stream had some issues, since that stuff -terrifies- me (I have some small experience in that sort of thing), but it seemed to have worked alright for the important stuff.

I liked that the stuff we got was related to the conference itself, as well as some small goodies like the PSN money and Music Unlimited trial. I know people were expecting more, but that just felt like a pipedream.

I loved that, in Philly, they put us in the RPX screening, which was the biggest one Regal has, and also the one with the really nice recliners and such. Was a great experience there. People getting hype for surprise announcements was a pretty fun deal and made it seem like a bigger thing to me too.

I'd definitely do it again if I had the chance. I just hope that next year I can swing actually going!

I also think I would go again. It was enjoyable to watch on the big screen and see others' reactions. What would really turn me off is if the conference was boring or not focused on games and trailers. The parts where we had a lot of talking with nothing to show felt a little wasted. It helped the theater here in Nashville was huge, and seats were comfy. What I wish they had more was crowd interaction. I was disappointed they did not have web cameras in each theater and do shout-outs to various cities.

But props to the organizers, email with ticket was prompt, check-in was smooth, clear and fast.

I redeemed my code but have yet to receive anything. No PSN credit, no alpha invite, nothing. Is that normal?

I also think I would go again. It was enjoyable to watch on the big screen and see others' reactions. What would really turn me off is if the conference was boring or not focused on games and trailers. The parts where we had a lot of talking with nothing to show felt a little wasted. It helped the theater here in Nashville was huge, and seats were comfy. What I wish they had more was crowd interaction. I was disappointed they did not have web cameras in each theater and do shout-outs to various cities.

But props to the organizers, email with ticket was prompt, check-in was smooth, clear and fast.

I redeemed my code but have yet to receive anything. No PSN credit, no alpha invite, nothing. Is that normal?

Yeah, once the conference got rolling, it was awesome. The non-game bits were a bit of a drag.

But yeah, organizing wise it was done really well. Everybody got in pretty quickly.

They're sending 3 separate emails:
Destiny Alpha Today
Battlefield Hardline Beta Tuesday
5$ PSN and Music Unlimited Trial Thursday

Kyzon

I was wondering if someone here went to the Vegas showing. Not surprised it was calm for most of the time. How many people were there? Did they give away any free stuff?

This place is popular in movies and television but it seems like nobody ever lives in this damn town and if they do, they don't stay here long. I hate Vegas.

The middle of the theater was packed. Not too many on the sides. So I'd say maybe 100ish people were there.

We got posters and a lanyard. That's it lol

Idk why gaming stuff doesn't come here more often. We have EVO every year and yet, blah.

andycapps

Yeah, once the conference got rolling, it was awesome. The non-game bits were a bit of a drag.

But yeah, organizing wise it was done really well. Everybody got in pretty quickly.

They're sending 3 separate emails:
Destiny Alpha Today
Battlefield Hardline Beta Tuesday
5$ PSN and Music Unlimited Trial Thursday

Actually glad I didn't go then. I preordered Destiny so should hopefully get the code today, got the Battlefield Hardline code today, and $5 PSN credit doesn't seem worth it. I enjoyed it more at home, though the IGN stream that I was watching seemed to have problems in streaming where it would stutter every few minutes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Actually glad I didn't go then. I preordered Destiny so should hopefully get the code today, got the Battlefield Hardline code today, and $5 PSN credit doesn't seem worth it. I enjoyed it more at home, though the IGN stream that I was watching seemed to have problems in streaming where it would stutter every few minutes.

It was surprisingly awesome to see the trailers on the big screen. Even rewatching them on the big screen at home just does not compare. Now I really want to play Batman on a movie sized screen. I can't imagine how awesome a driving game would feel, unfortunately we didn't get a DriveClub trailer.

Megasoum

Banned
So I realized something...

I remember that when I redeemed my code on monday they said they would send me a code for Destiny today (thursday), BF sometime next week (already in on pc so don't really care) but I don't remember anything about the 5$ on PSN... They are sending a seperate mail for that? When am I supposed to get it?

Weren't they supposed to send destiny alpha codes today? And yes NoMoreTrolls apparently were being all formal after everything that happened that night, I'll be there.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Weren't they supposed to send destiny alpha codes today? And yes NoMoreTrolls apparently were being all formal after everything that happened that night, I'll be there.

codes going out at noon. we aren't anymore special than the people who manually applied for the beta at http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/destiny.html. :(

sucks for the people whose codes expired...but i guess it may have something to do with this. i would complain to though. you should at least get your bf and $5

The middle of the theater was packed. Not too many on the sides. So I'd say maybe 100ish people were there.

We got posters and a lanyard. That's it lol

Idk why gaming stuff doesn't come here more often. We have EVO every year and yet, blah.
We're a major convention city so I don't know why either. We do get gaming here once in awhile, such as the one you mentioned, and we have CES.

codes going out at noon. we aren't anymore special than the people who manually applied for the beta at http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/destiny.html. :(

sucks for the people whose codes expired...but i guess it may have something to do with this. i would complain to though. you should at least get your bf and $5

I was gonna give mine away anyways. Do a service since this weekend is packed with activities and I'd rather give it to someone who'd mancave. And I did. I did my nerd duty.

I can't believe so many people waited to redeem the codes, waiting till the next day makes sense, but waiting days later just to enter a 13 digit code? Why wait? Just curious.

Top Bottom