• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 New Details: AR Games Not Returning, Multiplayer Detailed

Watch Dogs 2 looks to be a fun and exciting game, one that will take the flawed original title and build on its potential. It appears as though it shall be achieving this by focusing on everything that is necessary to sell the game’s story and setting, while cutting away the unnecessary, tedium inducing fat that otherwise plagues so many modern open world games.

Take, for instance, the AR games of the original title. Speaking to GamingBolt, Danny Belanger, Watch Dog 2‘s Game Director, confirmed that these would not be returning in the upcoming sequel.

“AR games from Watch Dogs are not returning,” he said. “We are offering more city exploration. So as you’re walking around the city, you’ll open Nethack and you’ll discover operations and secrets that will unlock side quests if you want,” he said, also hinting at how progression in the new game might change from Ubisoft’s usual norm, given that their trademark ‘towers’ are not going to be in this game.

He also described the multiplayer mode for this game, pointing out that the priority was to achieve ‘seamless co-op.’ “What I can say today is we’re bringing seamless co-op; we’re going to have seamless hacking so someone can come in your game and hack,” he said. “Now you’re part of DedSec, so you’re part of a hacker group, so we wanted those hackers to work together. So you can be in your single player game but there’s a DedSec ally that’s walking around the street, and if you want you can just go and press a button and go in co-op. We created operations meant for co-op because they’re challenging, so it’s good to have a buddy.”

I’d probably ignore the co-op features entirely, but that’s because of my own playing habits- for most people, co-op being this seamless and integrated is probably going to be a boon, and good on Ubisoft for achieving this.

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/watch_dogs-2-new-details-ar-games-not-returning-multiplayer-detailed

YES. I literally said to a few friends that one of the main improvements I wanted over the first game would be to 'cut away the tedium inducing fat'. The core gameplay of Watch Dogs was cool, but the wealth of things always on the screen and map really made me feel somewhat encumbered.

Alx

I won't miss those, I think I only played each of them once to see what it was about, and that's all.
I hope QR-code hunting is still there, though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn

AR games were the best part of the first. I really enjoyed those. Alone and the Spider Tank were fantastic :(

The AR games were lame, but the digital trips were surprisingly fun, though I'm not sure how many people played them. Spider tank was tons of fun.

Wasn't a fan of the AR games or the digital trips (though Alone had great atmosphere) so this doesn't bother me. The QR puzzles were fun though. All that being said, I'd rather they can all of that in favor of more substantial side missions.

Damn

AR games were the best part of the first. I really enjoyed those. Alone and the Spider Tank were fantastic :(

Alone and Spider-Tank were digital trips, not AR games. With AR games they mean the alien shooting game and the coin collecting game where you are still controlling Aiden in the real city.

Eh, I don't mind much as I didn't feel the AR games were exactly a strong aspect of the game, but some of them were kind of fun, especially the spider tank one.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm OK with the AR games not coming back. They were kinda neat, but it felt more like novelties and they were shallow too.

If they're focusing more on city explorations and mini-activities, then I'm totally fine with that.

The Argus

Weird that GAF is so excited for this. First one was pretty much hated here, and this looks more of the same with GTA V filter. If it reviews well I may buy it , but I've been burned by UBIHype before.

VR missions were pretty bad in the first (shoot these neon alien things, jump around on stuff through the city) so I won't miss them here.

PreFire

Gonna have to Youtube what the hell AR games are, I don't remember them.

Will there still be invasions? By far my favorite part of the game until asshole cheaters found some exploits to find you or just fucking disconnect before you caught them.

Weird that GAF is so excited for this. First one was pretty much hated here, and this looks more of the same with GTA V filter. If it reviews well I may buy it , but I've been burned by UBIHype before.
From what we've seen, it just looks like a much better game all around. I imagine most people are hoping for an Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 turnaround for Watch Dogs.

I just platinumed the OG and I really enjoyed it. I am beyond hyped for #2. There was so much stuff to do in the original, I'm sure even cutting a lot of it would still leave a ton of things to do.

Some Nobody

Should've ditched that wack-ass multiplayer and kept this. But losing this is okay if the side quests are better integrated.

Sojgat

Gonna have to Youtube what the hell AR games are, I don't remember them.

Will there still be invasions? By far my favorite part of the game until asshole cheaters found some exploits to find you or just fucking disconnect before you caught them.

NVZN and Cash Run were the AR games.

533563745.jpg

533563776.jpg

They won't be missed, but Digital Trips would be.

Vuze

Nooo, I want my coin rush game back ;_;

E: Cash Run. Playing through the game currently and can't even get the name right lol

TVexperto

Never played the AR games in watch dogs, so thats good and I loved the seamless multiplayer - I enjoyed hiding while somebody was trying and panicking to find me

They better have digital trips, it's part of why watch dogs was fantastic. I am dumb founded at how people don't like WD, one of the best GTA clones and the stuff like digital trips made it special, also how great online was incorporated.

Johndoey

Banned

VR missions were pretty bad in the first (shoot these neon alien things, jump around on stuff through the city) so I won't miss them here.
Ubisoft has a good track record of learning from past mistakes. This will almost certainly be a big improvement in the first.

Jedi2016

Did they get rid of those annoying pop-ups that kept telling you about such-and-such a challenge or MP opportunity or whatever the fuck? Those things were pissing me off, one of the reasons I didn't get far in the first game.

And give me some UI options this time. The overscan compensation on the last game was beyond stupid, and zero options to change it.

They've got a LOT to fix if they want to interest me, and not all of it has to do with gameplay.

vpance

They better have digital trips, it's part of why watch dogs was fantastic. I am dumb founded at how people don't like WD, one of the best GTA clones and the stuff like digital trips made it special, also how great online was incorporated.

If the budget and resources of GTA and WD were swapped I wouldn't mind that at all.

hemo memo

Gold Member

If only GTA can clone the movement (on-foot gameplay) and shooting mechanics from Watch Dogs. Yeah both can improve from each other.

Sterok

AR games were annoying bloat, so it's nice to see them gone. Hopefully more interesting side activities will replace them.

Bizzquik

I have very little interest in co-op. Assassin's Creed: Unity failed partly due to its gimmicky inclusion.

Tell me about your multi-player that isn't co-op. Tell me how you are improving Player Invasions and Player Tailing - you know, the multiplayer component in the first game that was truly unique. That was Watch Dogs. Dude changing a red stoplight to green was the window-dressing.

Top Bottom