• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

fozzy

Driving at top speed through the city is nearly stutter free for me now. Looks incredible too. The DOF is set too high for my liking when on foot though.

Bleep

So they removed Aiden Pearce's myopia in the final release? It could have been an interesting character trait.

Interesting.

Only got this (gift from a mate who bought a new card) the other day and have been hugely disappointed with how bland it looks even on max.

Will try this out...

V_Ben

Banned
Hmm, i'll be interested to see what the response is from Ubi. Do they patch these effects out of the PC build?

Timurse

Banned
Post rain daylight
Watch_Dogs_2014_06_07_20_26_13_740.png

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
people expected the same thing when dark souls 2 came out aswell (to find hidden effects stuck in game files to be unlocked)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, i'll be interested to see what the response is from Ubi. Do they patch these effects out of the PC build?

Ubi started working on a patch about a week-and-a-half ago, so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks compatibility with this "mod", but I doubt that's the intention.

ZeroX03

Banned
Waiting for it to turn to night/rain before I can see the full effect, but I'm on high locked at 30fps and it looks great. Not noticing the stutter anymore either.

EDIT: I'm at night and boy do those headlights pop.

scitek

So they removed Aiden Pearce's myopia in the final release? It could have been an interesting character trait.

Since it's not a first-person game, I tend to view it as a camera following him around, anyway, so it doesn't seem too out of place. Certainly much less so than the dynamic DOF mod in Crysis 2 did.

Nzyme32

If they did that it would just make people illegally obtain the original game files or pirate. There would be no point. You might as well ask the question, why did they ship it in the first place.

Kayant

Stability is my guess. Things like this might not be 'complete', and with deadlines what they are, features get cut.

They probably could have added this to another tier in the graphical settings. It's possible they locked it out so they could say that the new consoles could run it on the highest settings or something.

Makes sense probably a bit of both given the current performance and that it was really just a demo in the end but good to see people can at least get to experience what they sold originally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm expecting a response along the lines of, "cut for stability... performance issues... deadlines..." etc.

I doubt they'd say anything was 'cut'. Implies too much that they had it in the first place.

More like 'we carefully selected the optimum balance of graphical effects to get the most out of each platform'

Qassim

They probably could have added this to another tier in the graphical settings. It's possible they locked it out so they could say that the new consoles could run it on the highest settings or something.

Ubisoft already said that the console settings are equivalent to high on PC, not Ultra.

Newline

Ubisoft already said that the console settings are equivalent to high on PC, not Ultra.

Now imagine if PC had one more setting and they had to say that the PS4 was running it on the third best setting rather than the second... Console gamers could possibly go from 'i'm ok with that, PC's are hella expensive anyway' to 'unoptimised crap, we get last gen settings on our new gen consoles'.
Why downgrade the PC port?
So the console versions (that clearly couldn't handle those effects and will sell way more copies) don't look as bad.

Top Bottom