• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Tagyhag

It's not something I'd "like" to believe. I'm a PC gamer, so I would love for it to have as significant a market share as possible.

If those numbers exclude digital sales and the PC share is in fact much higher, that's a good thing.

Jeez my fellow PC gamers are insufferable aren't they.

I'm sorry but you're on GAF, ignorance is going to be called out. If you don't want to be called out then do your research.

It has been known for years now that most retail data sales exclude digital sales since you can't even get the exact number from some sources unless it comes from the Developer themselves. I would think to a self proclaimed PC gamer, this would be common knowledge.

timshundo

Eh. The depth of field hack in those screenshots was probably just to demo the DoF back in 2012. The game currently has awesome DoF effects in appropriate scenarios; the screenshots have it just for the sake of having it and it doesn't look right. That's not how camera lenses work.

Also the added bloom doesn't seem much better than their current implementation, just a different style. What they have in their now for car headlights and daylighting looks more realistic.

I've never had trouble with stuttering and have had great performance so I can't speak for the rest of the bullet points but I'm pretty sure this isn't some grand scandal against PC users. That code could be more than 2 years old... Made for demoing the graphics. Watch Dog's cut scenes are largely more graphically impressive than the rest of the game; back in 2012 they added some effects to give the whole game the cut scene treatment. It's how demos work. I'm pretty sure PC users are probably getting duped 10% of what they actually think they are right now.

Let's see some accurate before/afters, people.

Will they eventually be able to improve the cloth physics to effect the entire coatike in the E3 presentations and not just the tail? I hope so but I doubt it. That is one of the starkest differences, imo.

SparkTR

The forced parity argument seems a bit silly given the PC version as it comes is already a lot better looking than the PS4 version. More like odd incompetence? Wonder what the justification will be.

There's nothing odd about incompetence from Ubisoft.

But we're what, 1-2% of the market? I remember when they released the first-weekend sales figures for Watch Dogs across all platofrms - PC wasn't even listed in the breakdown. That's the unfortunate reality.

I don't know how about Ubisoft titles but games like Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim the PC version accounted for more or less 1/3 of sales going by Steam Gauge numbers. A number than rival or tops other individual platforms. Interestingly enough those are games that put even a small amount of effort into the PC versions, Ubisoft has wasted any goodwill left from the PC community after the AC2 always on DRM, and then UPlay, and then the unoptimized ports.

SparkTR

This was posted on here a while back:

WD 1st week in UK
PS4 49%
Xbone 27%
X360 13%
PS3 9%

If true, you start to realise why PC gaming doesn't get the attention from devs it deserves. Granted, that's only UK, but I imagine it will be similar elsewhere.

Looking at UK retail for PC games is like looking at the Chinese market for console games. Unless they start tracking digital it's worthless.

Faith

Edit: It seems with the help of GAF and Reddit, I've single-handedly brought down Guru3D. Sorry.
Edit 2: Alternate download link - 'TheWorseMod(lol) TEST'.
This is so awesome! Thank you :)

I made some screenshots:

watch_dogs2014-06-161a5j7t.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161xujt4.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161lakbz.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161yejz6.png

watch_dogs2014-06-16117kr9.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161tfj05.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161x2jm8.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161scj3o.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161ktkbb.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161oqjj1.png

watch_dogs2014-06-161jsjai.png

Orayn

Whatever the answer is, it's probably in line with the reason From Software gimped the PC version of Dark Souls 1. A filter that hid detailed textures making them look horrible, locked framerate, low resolution, etc.

The textures looking bad was a consequence of the low resolution. Framerate was locked to 30 because physics and game logic relied on it, and the unlocking method is hackish and breaks some things.

jeh

I'm 99.99% sure Ubi did this because the ps4/Xbone versions could not have this quality and they decided to have the pc version dialed down so that there is not that much of a difference.

Not taking any side here, I have a ps4 and love it

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just....don't understand. Why is this all sitting there unused? And those screens in the rain look damn beautiful.

Because...reasons?

Either:

1. Ubi didn't have time to QA and bugfix the ultra graphics & shaders and simply turned them off, or

2. Ubi didn't want the PC version overshadowing the console versions that much

3. Ubi was planning on releasing an Ultra DLC for the PC later on, even though it would actually be a small patch

Who know the real reason, either way its fucking hilarious. God I love PC gaming!

Wow, incredible. Is this using this mod? This looks better than the mod which is simply an extreme DOF mod. I'm not a fan of it. It's blurring everything.

Yes, I'm using the mod. It was originally a bloom and shadows mod, which goes a long way to make it look better. You can disable DOF entirely from the in-game options menu if you don't like it (it's kinda annoying as you run around).

Ah, ok.

Is it just me or is the DOF a bit too much

It is. You can turn it off.

Jibbed

Has the 2012 scene been recreated yet? I wanna see the receipts.

It's been changed quite dramatically, so it's not really possible to recreate the whole thing.

There are some comparisons around with 2012 vs. release (unmodded) though, which shows the huge differences between the two; most notably lighting.

Alot of this stuff is buggy

IE: Shadows caused by headlights get cut in half freuenetly

Already fixed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly I don't think there any conspiracy here.

If you look at games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, they scale vastly above the console versions on PC.

What I feel is more likely here is they abandoned these features long ago and then just assumed they either wouldn't work well and/or look good with the current version without actually testing it out, since they were presumably death marching to get the game out by the end.

Oh boy. Can't wait to see Ubisoft explain this one away. As much as I enjoy a lot of Ubi's games, what little trust was left is shattered by this.

Caayn

Now I'm wondering if the PS4 version COULD have been 1080p native... just like AC4 was after they patched it in...
Why would this revelation have any affect on the console versions? It's more likely that these effects where canceled mid production in order to accommodate the consoles. Besides this has nothing to do with the resolution the game is rendered at.

SparkTR

Yeah, so I've heard. So what is the average PC market share for an AAA game? More like 10-15%?

No idea about the average, it depends on genre and game so I imagine it swings a fair bit (CoD and AC swinging way more towards consoles). Like I posted before the closest we've ever gotten to digital numbers is from the Steam Gauge article, and judging by that games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, XCOM and Borderlands 2 have a closer to a 35% share (much more for XCOM I'd bet, I'm going a limb here at saying higher than 40%). UPlay/Origin titles don't get counted here, but those are Steamworks so they should be reliable.

No idea about the average, it depends on genre and game so I imagine it swings a fair bit (CoD and AC swinging way more towards consoles). Like I posted before the closest we've ever gotten to digital numbers is from the Steam Gauge article, and judging by that games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, XCOM and Borderlands 2 have a closer to a 35% share (much more for XCOM I'd bet). UPlay/Origin titles don't get counted here, but those are Steamworks so they should be reliable.

Damn, 35% for something like Bioshock Infinite or Borderlands 2 is really impressive. Had no idea it could be that high.

mnannola

This is when delaying the PC version for 30-60 days would have come in handy. I suspect the devs went to Ubisoft and said "Ok we can get these features running on the PC version, but it will take a few weeks." Then Ubisoft probably told them to fuck off because they think PC gamers will buy it anyway, so there is no point to delay it.

Yeah it definitely looks better with the increased rain, illumination from headlights, bloom etc. Does anyone know if there's any console commands (for that matter how to enable console?) to change the weather and time of day? I'd love to play this exclusively at night/evening with rain. Game looks so damn gorgeous when both of these are going on at once.

I'm kinda hoping to see a mod scene emerge for this like GTA IV. Obviously once V hits PC icenhancer will be all over it, but I do have to say I have really enjoyed the layout and world design of Chicago in WD, especially exploring the industry/factory areas with all the overgrowth. Kinda evokes similar feelings that some of the environments from TLoU had.

Tempting to buy the pc version now, question is what kind of a framerate would I be expecting with these specs:
Amd Radeon 7950 2GB card
AMD FX 8320 8 core processor running at 3.5GHZ
8GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
Windows 7 64 bit of course.

drexplora

I'm pretty sure they cater to the demographic that puts the most money in their pocket... and unfortunately for you, that's consoles.

I don't see how using the extra horsepower afforded by pc could be a bad thing.
It would mean more players.

Top Bottom