• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

GHG

Gold Member
Does DOF not work in this game or something?

Or is no one using it?

A lot of people hate DOF for some reason so turn it off. They don't want to "game through a camera lense".

Judging by the LOD's on distant objects in this game, it seems to have been optimised to have it on rather than off.

The flatness is probably my biggest problem as well. With already poor day lighting, it makes the game look absolutely drab. Ubisoft is not reliable on great open-world gameplay either (see the AC series) so it's hard to get very excited.

I know people like to troll or spread hyperbole but I can honestly say I can understand where this downgrade talk comes from. The first thing I thought after watching the first re reveal trailer was "the hell happened to the visuals" then I logged on here & saw the reactions from people.

I'm disappointed as I liked the atmosphere/vibe surrounding the game before it's delay, now I don't know what to think of it.

I've been somewhat impressed with Killzone, Ryse & Infamous but nothing has amazed me. We had 512mb of RAM last generation, what's happening to all that extra memory this generation ? I hope E3 has some games that really take advantage.

Marcel

i know the scale is way bigger and more stuff to do, but I can't be the only one that is a bit disappointed how close the visual fidelity is for watch_dogs a game made by 1000s of people vs sleeping dogs which was made by like 50 guys and went through crazy development hell.

Ubisoft has a sprawling content pipeline all over the globe. I'm really not surprised that the game ended up the way it did. Too many cooks in the kitchen and so forth.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
See, I think its the stuff in the distance that makes the city look arse (LOD I think), those buildings in the last shot look awful. But that boat shot actually looks fairly good, so hopefully its something that can be tweaked.

You can disable the LOD in the options.

GHG

Gold Member
I know people like to troll or spread hyperbole but I can honestly say I can understand where this downgrade talk comes from. The first thing I thought after watching the first re reveal trailer was "the hell happened to the visuals" then I logged on here & saw the reactions from people.

I'm disappointed as I liked the atmosphere/vibe surrounding the game before it's delay, now I don't know what to think of it.

I've been somewhat impressed with Killzone, Ryse & Infamous but nothing has amazed me. We had 512mb of RAM last generation, what's happening to all that extra memory this generation ? I hope E3 has some games that really take advantage.

The increase in the amount of RAM does not always linearly equate to games looking a lot better. It does, however equate to the consoles being much easier to develop higher resolution games for since they no longer have to swap recources out at such a high frequency. The CPU and GPU in these consoles are not that great, and that counts for a lot. You have to consider that at the time of release, the CPU and GPU in the PS3 and 360 were pretty much cutting edge. The same cannot be said of the CPU+GPU combos in the current crop. That counts for a lot.

Kayant

this is pc on ultra at 1080p - not mine, just passing them along. looks ok, but not like the original trailer. havent seen rain shots.

watchdogz3vxohb.png

watchdogz4dqp5q.png

watchdogz1jgp3a.png

watchdogz2bjo6o.png

Night shots and the water look awesome but the daylight lighting shots look poor because of the downgrade.

Furianshi

Neo Member
Why is the car on the left breaking apart when Aiden rolled into it. Is his legs made out of metal
It's the shock-wave from the explosion; all vehicles in the scene are affected. Notice the character rolls at precisely the right moment to avoid being blown off his feet, or to avoid making it obvious that there's no blown off your feet animation (which might have seemed odd with vehicles all around him bouncing and coming apart).

Edit: actually the roll was probably the close proximity to explosion animation (?)

Main issue is how flat the buildings look. The game looks great at night and while its raining. Would play the entire game in that weather setting if there was an option to do so.

Main issue is how flat the buildings look. The game looks great at night and while its raining. Would play the entire game in that weather setting if there was an option to do so.

I think you can just sleep and change the time of day as you please, so you'll at least get half of it.

Fucking hell the lighting took a major hit.

A lot of people hate DOF for some reason so turn it off. They don't want to "game through a camera lense".

Judging by the LOD's on distant objects in this game, it seems to have been optimised to have it on rather than off.

Yeah I don't think that's doing the game any favours, especially when all the earlier stuff has it on.

The increase in the amount of RAM does not always linearly equate to games looking a lot better. It does, however equate to the consoles being much easier to develop higher resolution games for since they no longer have to swap recources out at such a high frequency. The CPU and GPU in these consoles are not that great, and that counts for a lot. You have to consider that at the time of release, the CPU and GPU in the PS3 and 360 were pretty much cutting edge. The same cannot be said of the CPU+GPU combos in the current crop. That counts for a lot.

I see, well that's disappointing from MS & Sony considering the length of last generation, expect better. Thanks

d3rd3vil

Neo Member
Is there a chance the game will get relased via Origin/Steam/Uplay this weekend? It's ridiculous how many are already playing.....

seph1roth

Are you guys telling me that with a 780Ti the game doesn't run on 60fps?

Okay, if this is true...the lie about the gamer pc 600-700$ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS4 would be not that true.

I'm afraid because i have a good PC and the idea was that it would run all next gen games better than consoles...

Marcel

Is there a chance the game will get relased via Origin/Steam/Uplay this weekend? It's ridiculous how many are already playing.....

I really doubt Ubisoft wants to open themselves up for a potential shellacking from consumers. If they won't even allow reviews before release day, why would they officially release the game early to players?

Ah we've come full circle again. The general discussion in every watch dogs thread basically "time to 2012 reference".

How is it not relevant to discussion? Morin said it would look "on par and in some places better" with/than 2012 build. It doesn't. He lied.

Not even rainy weather looks now good.What happened with the lighting programmers in this game?.They all went to other companies mid last year without finishing the game?.

GHG

Gold Member
Are you guys telling me that with a 780Ti the game doesn't run on 60fps?

Okay, if this is true...the lie about the gamer pc 600-700$ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS4 would be not that true.

I'm afraid because i have a good PC and the idea was that it would run all next gen games better than consoles...

Depends on what resolution and settings you're talking about...

The ps4 version is 900p and definately not high or ultra PC settings from what I'm seeing.

Sini

WD seems to currently lack real time screen space reflections on wet surfaces from Nvidia demo video.
Water seems to have good reflections, but everything else is done with static cubemaps which thankfully seem to be parallax corrected. Sleeping Dogs had cubemaps without parallax correction and that made reflections on wet surfaces look terrible.

Staab

Looks good enough to me from the screenshots and videos I've been seeing.

Real question here is "how does it play" ?
Campaign seems to be getting good reviews from the few streams I've watched.
Lots of minigames, good integration of online modes and the driving is apparently nice.

seph1roth

Depends on what resolution and settings you're talking about...

The ps4 version is 900p and definately not high or ultra PC settings from what I'm seeing.

The idea is that a lot of people said that a 600$ PC would run better than PS4 games, and i think that is a false statement.

Really, not even a rocksolid 30fps like AC4?!

At the Ubi event here in Toronto yesterday, I honestly couldn't tell. At a few of the stations I looked the game seemed to run rather smoothly. When I went to play it though, I found the frame rate to seem really stiff.

The problem is I am not that sensitive to frame rate issues, I can tell 30 fps and 60 fps apart when its side by side but I usually don't notice if the frame rate is slow unless it drops far past 30.

So I dunno, its probably running at 30 fps? But it doesn't look good to me, or consistent.

it's only 30fps. But I've found it to be pretty rock solid, to be fair I've spent 10 mins playing the ps4 version. So it might be worse in som situations.
We only got to play a small section they showed off at previous events.

Ubisoft has a sprawling content pipeline all over the globe. I'm really not surprised that the game ended up the way it did. Too many cooks in the kitchen and so forth.

expecting this game had issues in development too. like them or not, its pretty amazing how they can churn out AC games of those visual quality for open world game in 2-3 years.

I expect watch_dogs 2 to look pretty damn spiffy once they cut last gen systems if this sell well though.

Hasney

The idea is that a lot of people said that a 600$ PC would run better than PS4 games, and i think that is a false statement.

It could in a lot of situations I'm sure. Unfortunatley, Ubisoft are horrible about optimising their PC ports. It's really the wrong game to discuss this about.

Smash88

Banned
Am I just being blind or is it raining under a bridge?

Yup. So what?

Also welcome to the Watch Dogs official thread where the game actually looks good, but people are still looking for reasons to nitpick every single little aspect of the game, because you know other games don't do similar things.

Jhn

Does anyone know why they keep touting the multiplayer as "seamless"? By now, it's immediately apparent that it isn't.

When you invade, you get put into a loading screen, you teleport to your "victim" and the time of day and weather syncs to the invadee. That is what you'd call a seam.

Oh, so it's only seamless for the victim you say? Well, stop proclaiming something as seamless when it's only seamless half of the time. If it's seamless half of the time, it's by default not seamless.

Does anyone know why they keep touting the multiplayer as "seamless"? By now, it's immediately apparent that it isn't.

When you invade, you get put into a loading screen, you teleport to your "victim" and the time of day and weather syncs to the invadee. That is what you'd call a seam.

Oh, so it's only seamless for the victim you say? Well, stop proclaiming something as seamless when it's only seamless half of the time. If it's seamless half of the time, it's by default not seamless.

Seamless

Top Bottom