• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchmen (HBO) Teasers

The Watchmen Instagram feed put out three brief videos today to tease the upcoming HBO series. The glimpses are extremely brief (although I have a feeling that we’ll get our first real trailer tied to the series finale of Game of Thrones as HBO tries to shift the audience to a new expensive adaptation of a well-known title), but they do provide an interesting look at the alternate America presented in Damon Lindelof’s adaptation. The scythe with the pirate flag is reminiscent of Tales from the Black Freighter, the “Reach out and touch Mars” bit is a callback to Doctor Manhattan’s sojourn to the red planet, and the new American flag is a reminder that in the alternate America presented in Watchmen, Vietnam had been turned into an American state.

Of course, the larger job of these videos isn’t just to create callbacks to the source material, but to provide the eerie vibe and tone the series seems to be going for. The Watchmen Damon Lindelof appears to be building is a legacyquel, one where you take Alan Moore’s seminal graphic novel and use it as a springboard to tell a new story inspired by the one set in 1985. That way, you don’t offend fans who are precious about staying faithful to the source material, and you still get to play in the Watchmen world. I’m curious to see how it works.

Check out the Watchmen teaser videos below. The series premieres sometime in 2019.

Source: http://collider.com/watchmen-hbo-teaser-videos/#poster

Yep, they're the true definition of teasers, not 2'30 minutes trailers disguised as teasers

Huge fan of the graphic novel, I liked the extended director cut of the film (much better than the theatrical release, imo). Very intrigued to see what they do with this series.

I also heard that Watchmen have had a bit of a rebirth in the DC Universe in recent comics? I might need to check that out too

It's a risky move to make it a sequel to the comic but expect it to be this huge Game of Thrones level crossover hit, will viewers not familiar with the comic or at least the movie be totally lost?

It will definitely be interesting to see what they come up with.

Honestly with Doom Patrol being as good as it is, I have high hopes for Watchmen

I'd love to watch Doom Patrol but I'm not subscribing to an entire streaming service just for one show, same deal with the new Twilight Zone.

This new future of endless streaming services suck.

Jon Neu

Banned
I read the comics and I wasn't that big of a fan, but if Lindelol is in charge, I'm going to totally watch it.

tkscz

Doom Patrol is so great. I wish more people I know watched it

I know this feel far too well. I even lend out my DCU account just so they can watch it

It's a risky move to make it a sequel to the comic but expect it to be this huge Game of Thrones level crossover hit, will viewers not familiar with the comic or at least the movie be totally lost?

It will definitely be interesting to see what they come up with.

I'd love to watch Doom Patrol but I'm not subscribing to an entire streaming service just for one show, same deal with the new Twilight Zone.

This new future of endless streaming services suck.
Doom Patrol is an HBO level show behind a paywall people don't even know exist. WB allowing a DC streaming service over bringing together a single umbrella service for WB, DC, HBO, Cartoon Network and TNT is such a terrible idea.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
HBO and Watchmen is a good combination and has a very high ceiling, hopefully they can make improvements over the movie.

I know this feel far too well. I even lend out my DCU account just so they can watch it

Doom Patrol is an HBO level show behind a paywall people don't even know exist. WB allowing a DC streaming service over bringing together a single umbrella service for WB, DC, HBO, Cartoon Network and TNT is such a terrible idea.
I definitely want to check out Doom Patrol. I'll sign up once all the episodes air to binge watch. I read the graphic novel way back in the 90s, but have yet to check out the movie. Is the director's cut of the movie than Sucker Punch, JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered ?

Yes, a DC centric streaming service is oddly specific, versus simply a WB one.

Tesseract

Banned
FluffyVeneratedAmazonparrot-small.gif

could be good could be bad, hard to tell

it looks nice

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
After the awesome that was The Leftovers I'm prepared to give Lindelof another shot. I think it's a difficult property to take on truth be told, but I dare say it will be a novel spin on it.

plushyp

After the awesome that was The Leftovers I'm prepared to give Lindelof another shot. I think it's a difficult property to take on truth be told, but I dare say it will be a novel spin on it.
If the writing in this is anywhere close to "International Assassin" then I'm all in.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm surprised they went straight for s sequel. I thought the first season would follow the original graphic novel and then build on that in later seasons.

I'm guessing that you won't have to have read the original or seen the movie to follow the plot of this because that would be a mistake if they're aiming for mainstream success.

Yeah, it's looking pretty stale to be honest. Going by what was shown, I have no sense about who or what I should care about. It's just a collection of ques trying to unnecessarily hammer in the fact that this is a Watchmen show. So that decision by itself kinda tells me it's gonna be on par with something like something between Gotham and Daredevil with maybe just a little more edge. I'm interested in how the pilot will kick off.

Javthusiast

Banned
Y u change Avi!?
OL2y.gif

I like to spice things up with regular avatar changes and new cute/hot girls to look at. ;)

Yeah, it's looking pretty stale to be honest. Going by what was shown, I have no sense about who or what I should care about. It's just a collection of ques trying to unnecessarily hammer in the fact that this is a Watchmen show. So that decision by itself kinda tells me it's gonna be on par with something like something between Gotham and Daredevil with maybe just a little more edge. I'm interested in how the pilot will kick off.

From an IGN article a couple months back.

There are only two things we know for sure about the Watchmen series. First, it's an extension of the original story, not an adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' beloved work. Second, it's set in the present day. Showrunner Damon Lindelof described the series as being the New Testament to the original Watchmen's Old Testament. Lindelof also said that the show will be influenced by contemporary politics and figures like Donald Trump, Theresa May and Vladimir Putin in the same way the original was very much a product of the Cold War.

Last edited:
I have no faith in anything written by Lindelof, so I was intentionally ignoring everything related to the show.

But I happened to catch a few of these teasers while waiting for GoT last night and.. what the fuck is this shit? I admit it's been over a decade since I've read Watchmen but this just looks like Lindelof fan fiction, and anyone who has seen Prometheus should know to abandon ship when it comes to Lindelof adding to established mythos.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I have no faith in anything written by Lindelof, so I was intentionally ignoring everything related to the show.

But I happened to catch a few of these teasers while waiting for GoT last night and.. what the fuck is this shit? I admit it's been over a decade since I've read Watchmen but this just looks like Lindelof fan fiction, and anyone who has seen Prometheus should know to abandon ship when it comes to Lindelof adding to established mythos.

1. Clearly, you never watched the Leftovers
  2. Lindelof only did some dialogue clean up on Prometheus, but the original writer was the one who wrote the insane plot points.

1. Clearly, you never watched the Leftovers
  2. Lindelof only did some dialogue clean up on Prometheus, but the original writer was the one who wrote the insane plot points.
1. I watched the first season and it was incredibly boring. By the time the second season premiered, I had absolutely no desire to watch another second of it.

2. That is completely false. A quick google search reveals this quote:
“ ‘Look, embedded in this script are these amazing ideas, and if you want to hire me, I play up this stuff and play down this stuff, but I don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water because obviously there’s a lot of great things in Jon’s script,’ ” Lindelof recalls about how he went into his meeting Scott. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Does that sound like someone who merely cleaned up dialogue? As for "insane plot points": you mean like Weyland still being alive and on the ship? As well as the sequence of events that result from said revelation? Those were Lindelof! :)
But I digress - I'm not getting into this tired discussion again. I'm not here to convince you he's a bad writer, and you can't convince me otherwise (from Lost to Prometheus to Tomorrowland, there are just too many examples). If you like him for that one season, then that's fine.

I'll watch the first episode of Watchmen out of curiosity, but based on the teasers, I'm not expecting anything good.

Kadayi

Banned
Last edited:

I’m doing my best to kind of treat this like it’s own thing apart from the novel.

I’m confused as to what I’m supposed to be seeing in the trailer at some points but I’m relatively intrigued

Some things are clearly beyond you it seems. C'est la vie.
You're really going to blame the viewer for not wanting to continue watching after a lackluster (to put it nicely) first season? Even you said it takes "a while" to get going. That's a hell of an understatement, by the way.. but a smart way to introduce it to potential new viewers.
It's like arguing with FFXIII fans lol. And like FFXIII, I'm sure it gets better but it's already wasted enough of my time that I don't want to continue. Have I put it simply enough for you to understand yet?
Or are you continue being weird and uppity about me not giving a shit?

Read the original script. Pretty much all the crazy is in there already

I did, years ago. That's how I was able to say your assessment was completely false. Sigh I'm not getting into this again lol. I've already wasted enough time responding to you.

Last edited:
I really need to get on to watching The Leftovers. I’ve heard great things.

I binge watched all 3 seasons in about a week. Season 1 can be hit or miss for some people, but Season 2 was brilliant television to me. Season 3 had earned me enough good will to stick through to what I thought was a very serviceable series finale. The acting from Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon were otherwordly, and the soundtrack from Max Richter is hauntingly beautiful.

I think Lindelof has learned and grown from Lost and the Leftovers, so I'm definitely willing to give him a chance on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom