• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchMojo - Top 10 Classic Western RPGs

No BGII wat.

No Morrowind either, list is garbage :p

It's decent but scratching my head of Daggerfall over Morrowind. Was the former that acclaimed or influential at the time?

KyleCross

I was a bit disappointed not to see some titles on there, such as Witcher 3. However, it looks like this is a pretty established list of classics. Maybe it'll be on there in 10 years.

jblank83

One of the first lists I've been ok with as far as RPGs.

They even got Dungeon Master, a sorely underrated and highly influential series.

Nere

Why did OP not spoilered the list? You just ruinned the video for me!!! /sarcasm

Weird list. Why Daggerfall instead of Morrowind? Is it because Morrowind isn't that old?
Also why no BGII?

For those asking, they state at the start of the video that they're limiting themselves to the games of the 80s and 90s. Games released in 2000 and onward will get their own list later.

inm8num2

ITT people who didn't watch the first 20 seconds of the video.

"Here we'll be taking a look at games from the 80s and 90s..."

edit - what the poster above me said ;)

Why are two totally different Shadowrun games basically presented as 1 game =p

different story, game, developer, even released in different years... they've about as much in common as an Ultima and a Final Fantasy hehe

....that said, I'm just happy to see either game on a Top 10 list haha Shadowrun (Sega) is pretty close to by single favorite game (SNES version is a fun story too but it doesn't come close to the gameplay of the Sega game)

Unai

Guys, the list doesn't have games from 2000 and newer. They said so in the video.

Edit: Beaten.

I'm mostly fine with the list. Planescape: Torment should be number one in my opinion but third place is acceptable especially as the ones above it are great games themselves.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm mostly fine with the list. Planescape: Torment should be number one in my opinion but third place is acceptable especially as the ones above it are great games themselves.

I suppose. Planescape builds a fascinating world with memorable characters and engaging prose, but as a game...its eh. Infinity Engine gave us better ones.

Nikodemos

No Might & Magic VI?

No Betrayal at Krondor?

No Darklands?

No Dark Sun?

EDIT: For that matter, where's Albion, where's Realms of Arkania?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol at them somehow mixing the Genesis and SNES Shadowrun games up, they're way different from eachother, but they talk about them as if they were the same game. You play as god damn Jake Armitage in the SNES game.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
WHERES KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUB-

oh, nothing from 2000 and onwards

Oh. Okay. Nevermind

Although i was surprised to see system shock here. I was always under the impression it was a doom like game with horror and story elements

Came in expecing RPGS SET IN WESTERN SETTING, not rpgs made in the western world =(

This right here. I was really excited to learn that 10 Western RPGs actually existed... but, no.

Oh well. Maybe next decade.

Edit: Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skulldeep? Are you sure about that, announcer-man?!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I suppose. Planescape builds a fascinating world with memorable characters and engaging prose, but as a game...its eh. Infinity Engine gave us better ones.

As a game its amazing. The dialogue and its systems carry the game.

jblank83

The only change I'd make is to get Ultima Underworld in there. That game's influence is undeniable and far reaching. I'd probably bump Shadowrun.

Lack of Wizardry is pretty big also.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I guess Gothic 2 isn't on this list cause it came out after 2000. Fair enough.
Otherwise it would have totally been on that list. Right? Right.

DiscoJer

Eh, I like The Bard's Tale series, but I think it was essentially a copy of Wizardry and that later versions of that series (Wizardry 6-8) and the Might and Magic (3-5) series were superior to The Bard's Tale.

Also would have put Curse of the Azure Bonds on that list (as arguably the best of the Gold Box games). Not offense to Shadowrun, but there were like 10 of the Gold Box games, it was a huge series.

I respect this list. I wouldn't have Diablo on there, but I know many people would (I would have 5 Ultimas from 1-5...)

Famassu

Don't really understand Diablo topping the list at all. Otherwise the list seems ok. Would probably throw Betrayal at Krondor somewhere in there somewhere, but otherwise I don't feel the need to mock this list as I do many others.

mclem

It's a bit of a tough one, I think my list would put Underworld 2 on there, and I'd like some representation for Might & Magic, but I'm really not sure what I'd take off to justify those.

Nikodemos

It's a bit of a tough one, I think my list would put Underworld 2 on there, and I'd like some representation for Might & Magic, but I'm really not sure what I'd take off to justify those.
Shadowrun definitely. I mean, c'mon, console RPGs during the '90s were utterly pitiful compared to what you could get on PC.

Afterwards, it's a contest between The Bard's Tale and Dungeon Master II. You really don't need both on the list.

hemtae

10. Borderlands
9. The Witcher
8. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
7. Neverwinter Nights
6. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
4. Diablo II
3. Deus Ex
2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
1. Fallout 3

Honorable Mentions: Fable II, Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire, Mount & Blade,

10. Wasteland 2
9. Pillars of Eternity
8. Dragon Age: Inquisition
7. Borderlands 2
6. Divinity: Original Sin
5. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Dark Souls
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
1. Mass Effect 2

Honorable mentions: Diablo III, Legend of Grimrock 2, Torchlight II, Shadowrun Returns,

10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9. System Shock 2
8. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Deus Ex
3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2. Diablo
1. Fallout 3

Honorable mention: Dark Souls, Planescape: Torment, Wasteland, Neverwinter Nights, Shadowrun,

El_Chino

10. Borderlands
9. The Witcher
7. Neverwinter Nights
4. Diablo II
3. Deus Ex
1. Fallout 3

10. Wasteland 2
9. Pillars of Eternity
7. Borderlands 2
4. Dark Souls
1. Mass Effect 2

Honorable mentions: Diablo III, Legend of Grimrock 2, Torchlight II, Shadowrun Returns,

9. System Shock 2
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Deus Ex
2. Diablo
1. Fallout 3

Honorable mention: Dark Souls, Planescape: Torment, Wasteland, Neverwinter Nights, Shadowrun,
Fallout 3? Ouch....

Hektor

9. System Shock 2
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Deus Ex
2. Diablo
1. Fallout 3

cwm8.gif

Bad list is bad.

And why is Dark Souls listed?

Black Volt

Neo Member
Dang, didn't know there was an older shadowrun game, guess Shadowrun Returns makes a bit more sense now. I'd be tempted to check it out, but that doesn't look super easy to go back to.

Keasar

10. Borderlands
9. The Witcher
7. Neverwinter Nights
4. Diablo II
3. Deus Ex
1. Fallout 3

10. Wasteland 2
9. Pillars of Eternity
7. Borderlands 2
4. Dark Souls
1. Mass Effect 2

9. System Shock 2
5. Mass Effect 2
4. Deus Ex
2. Diablo
1. Fallout 3

Sooo, first they list Fallout 3 as their favourite. Then they remove it from the list and places Fallout: New Vegas in but slightly slower on the list. Then they remove that again and places Fallout 3 on number one again.

Make up your goddamn mind, I'm getting the impression WatchMojo is just pulling this list out of their ass every time
, they probably do

Also, terrible lists. Fallout 3 and Diablo 1? Really?

Top Bottom