• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchMojo: Top 10 Video Game Controllers

MauroNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drVTKknVw7A

10. SEGA Genesis 6-button controller
9. NES controller
8. Atari 2600 controller
7. Nintendo 64 controller
6. Wii Remote
5. Wii U Pro controller
4. SNES controller
3. PlayStation Dualshock series
2. Nintendo Gamecube controller
1. Xbox 360 controller

Honorable mentions:
Wii U Gamepad
NES Advantage

#1 is king

Elitist1945

Solid list. I don't think they should have just done 'Dualshock Series', though, since the DS4 is miles ahead of the DS3 (which I still love).

EDIT: Also I think the Gamecube controller is too high. Really awkward button layout, for me.

-shadow-

Put the Pro Controller on a equal spot with the 360 and I'm fine with it. No real objections to the rest actually :)

Xbox one controller is an improvement over the 360 controller in ever way, the fact that the elite controller isn't #1 is bullshit I'm really mad.

dadjumper

Xbox one controller is an improvement over the 360 controller in every way

Agreed. There's no reason to put the 360 controller here except for the attachment to games you played with it, I guess. That dpad was never not awful.

Also, why Genesis 6-button and not Saturn? It was the same controller but with much nicer build quality and a better dpad.

The 360 had some controllers with the transforming d pad which I thought was an improvement. Still I prefer the x1 controller over it. Maybe its because I have big hands but I just find the shape and weight to be perfect. Also the 64 controller? That big piece of plastic with the horrible d pad and analog stick that caused some people to get friction burns? This list is more nostalgia then modern day standards.

bigkrev

It's crazy to not have the Xbox One controller on the list, especially if you are putting the 360 controller at #1.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
360 is a terrific pad but XBO's is better in every way.

likewise, Saturn pad is superior to Genesis 6-button in every way.

decent list though, WatchMojo is a guilty pleasure.

Xbone is the iterative number 1. Then I'd place snes at 3 and duals hock at 4 as long as I can bury the DS3 at the bottom of a strange and uncomfortable mineshaft.

Anyone who imagines that the GameCube controller was anything less than superb is obviously bananas.

Exuro

Don't like that they list all of the dual shocks for 1 slot. DS4 has been the only controller I've used from the series that felt like it was made for human hands.

It's a shit video for stealing footage from Classic Game Room, but at least they are giving Mark credit this time, unlike the last dozen WatchMojo videos raided from his channel.

Analog stick is so important, but N64 controller is the worst I ever had to use. I say had to because you couldn't turn down playing the best N64 games no matter what, and had to adapt one way or another.

360 pad's asymmetry and windows compatibility is cool, but the X1 and the Elite are like SSJ4 versions of that.

Saturn pad should be where the Genesis one is, and higher.

Dualshock series is a bad broadstroke since some are really different from each other and most are pretty bad in a lot of ways... we're just used to them imo.

I would say this list is about impact and importance, but if that were the case, they'd have ranked the N64 controller much higher.

aaaaaa

My list

1. Xbone/PS4 (tie)
3. Gamecube/Wavebird
4. Sixaxis/Dualshock 3
5. SNES
6. PS1 non-Dualshock
7. Dualshock 2
8. Dualshock 1
9. Saturn, second model
10. NES

X360 disqualified due to the worthless D-pad.

Dual Shock 1-3 above Wii U Pro and N64? Just no

Seriously how is this awkward arrangement:
Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

(I need to change my grip on the controller to access other buttons/sticks)
supposed to be better than this
aid279006-728px-Fix-Analog-Sticks-on-Dual-Shock-2-Controller-for-PS2-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

(all buttons and sticks available at all times)

dreamfall

360's d-pad is a squishy mess - that's the only thing that holds it back. The claims that the XBO controller is better - not to me at all. The shoulder bumpers are still super uncomfortable even though the triggers and sticks are way better.

Majine

Banned
Uh you kinda can't have the 360 as #1 and no mention of Xbox One. It has better weight distribution and better d-pad.

Seriously how is this awkward arrangement:
Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

(I need to change my grip on the controller to access other buttons/sticks)
supposed to be better than this
aid279006-728px-Fix-Analog-Sticks-on-Dual-Shock-2-Controller-for-PS2-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

(all buttons and sticks available at all times)

Why the hell are they holding the DS3 like a 360 controller? Is this why people think it's uncomfortable? Because they're holding it wrong?

Not a great list in my opinion. To each their own, though.

The Xbox One controller not being on there is a major omission, because it's close to as good if not better than the 360 one. But I'm glad that 360 at least got first.

The N64 controller is too high, and I don't think the gimmicky Wiimote would make my list. I'm so sick of those things.

JDB

Banned
The Playstation controllers feel like could fall apart at any moment like a cheap plastic toy. The PS4 controller was the first one that actually felt like a quality product. Not sure why they're ranked so high.

There was definitely one thing the GC controller was king at.

SmashBrosSymbol.svg

Over a decade later after the Gamecube era, Nintendo went ahead and made a GC controller adapter for Wii U made just for Smash Bros. and nothing more. Pretty telling.

Top Bottom