• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaterMelon's Project Y, now know as PAPRIUM.

caffeware

Banned
zredgemz @ watermelon's official boards said:
Paprium began development in 2012 as project y, it is a new beatup'em up that is two player Cooperative. The game take's place in a post apocalypse cyberpunk future.(Shadowrun and snatcher references please)
The game will come on a 64 meg cartridge, it has three playable characters. Dice(left),Tug(top),Alex(right)

rdQUcvR.jpg

The amount of stage's are unknown at the moment, a popular guess from the forum's is 14.

STAGES PIECES

ARCADE STICK

Rg1dHx5.jpg

A six button arcade stick, both the arcade stick and the limited edition version of game will be limited. "while suppies last"

The arcade stick has these functions
- High-quality switches (SANWA + WM).
- Four-direction joystick and eight buttons.
- Dual connectivity with Mega Drive / SEGA Genesis and USB.
- State-of-art casing and finish (Aluminium, Stainless-Steel and Acrylic).

Extra Features:
- Configuration DIP switch for additional features and settings.
- Power and Feature led.
- Mod-friendly.
- Some surprises.

Compatibility:
- Compatible with any official SEGA hardware and existing game library.
- USB connectivity compatible with any HID-compliant computer or device.
- May not be compatible with clones or inferior hardware.
The magical game factory had a Graffiti contest for both Projects Y&N and all the submission's were put into the game's.

MORE IMAGES
Real early version of tug, he has a super mullet here.
GULCX7q.jpg

OqfWEfT.jpg
xsCiIN4.jpg

21vDjp9.jpg
GMD4kzU.jpg

KN7rcLO.jpg
jhbgKuk.jpg

WORK IN PROGRESS FOOTAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iR8wwBhYPM

ArjanN

Looks cool, but I'm really over the novelty of releasing stuff for old hardware, unless it's also coming to other platforms?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are they still refusing to show it or let anyone play it or do the bare minimum in showing it off?

Seriously, what is with these homebrew devs that expect people to buy their games sight unseen just because they're being released on retro platforms? There's nothing novel about it anymore.

XGoldenboyX

Im very excited to finally show you guys what I have been working on for the last 4-5 years .

My collegue is hard at work putting things together until the release date. And we still have quite a few things to do : )

Thank you for the post and support.

SEGA !!! 80 MEGA POWER!

kfwud3O.jpg

Im very excited to finally show you guys what I have been working on for the last 4-5 years .

My collegue is hard at work putting things together until the release date. And we still have quite a few things to do : )

Thank you for the post and support.

SEGA !!! 80 MEGA POWER!

kfwud3O.jpg

Any chance of a PS4/Xbox One version?

Deft Beck

I'm with others who say that releasing a retro styled game on a retro console is cute, but ultimately a niche angle for anybody releasing a video game nowadays, indie or not.

Game looks great, though.

Credo

Will definitely buy this since old beat 'em ups were one of my favorite genres back in the day, and I still enjoy the ones that make it out now.

BNGames

It only took them like 2 years to ship me my Pier Solar for Dreamcast after it was already finished pressed and done. Think ill pass.

Drencrom

This is Sega Genesis only?

That's cool and all, but why would you develop a game exclusively for a long gone and dead platform with no PC/Console port? Sounds pretty stupid financially.

Cody_D165

Banned

That's cool and all, but why would you develop a game exclusively for a long gone and dead platform with no PC/Console port? Sounds pretty stupid financially.

As a long time Genesis fan and collector stuff like this and Pier Solar are quite honestly incredible passion projects that ooze what the console is all about. Pier Solar was technically impressive as well as notably being the only Genesis title ever made that can utilize the Sega CD for CD-quality OST while playing the game itself from the Genesis cartridge.

Watermelon's devs know what to do with that hardware and as a HUGE fan of beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage I am incredibly excited for Paprium.

I'm sure it's Genesis for now, but their previous game saw ports to other platforms later in life.

Beartruck

The port begging in here is sad. Is it really so terrible that an old console get a new game first that will probably be ported to modern systems eventually anyway? You might as well complain about music being released on vinyl.

Glad to see game has a release date. September is tantalizingly close after the long wait.

CO_Andy

Beyond the awesomesauce graphics, Pier Solar was pretty mediocre.

Here's hoping this game does a better job of replicating the inspiration its taking from.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I've got a US Genesis and Japanese MD, both working, so I'm more than ready for this. An actual 16-bit beat-em-up releasing in 2017. This makes me happy.

Fularu

Banned
So either they sold out instantly when they came back online or something's wrong on my end and I can'T order it

Brofield

What's the difference between Classic and Limited Edition? It'd be nice if the store had a couple images to differentiate the $20 price difference (probably a little more with the weak Canadian dollar)

Fularu

Banned
What's the difference between Classic and Limited Edition? It'd be nice if the store had a couple images to differentiate the $20 price difference (probably a little more with the weak Canadian dollar)

No idea. I finaly managed to preorder a limited one

Cody_D165

Banned

From what I can infer from Watermelon's website and their past release of Pier Solar, the Limited editions are like regional packaging depending on the region selected, (pictured near the end of the trailer) and the Classic is packaged in a clamshell with black grid pattern a la early Genesis games

PAPRIUM is available for pre-order in two outstanding editions:
LIMITED edition, available in three regions (Japanese, Usa, Europe).
CLASSIC edition, black clamshell box with black grid design.
Each edition includes the original 80-MEG game cartridge, a full color instruction manual, quality box, multiple goodies and extras. Game is compatible with both PAL and NTSC original Mega Drive / SEGA Genesis game system. Game is region-lock free.

Top Bottom