• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wave Race 64 has aged like fine wine

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This thread got me to go downstairs to hook up the N64 only to realize I have two Wave Race carts and have no idea how I got two…?

Anyway, this game was a god send when the N64 came out. Y’all remember the N64 launched with two games in the US? Mario 64 and Pilot Wings were awesome, but there was literally nothing else to play. When Wave Race came out it was like holy shit, this console is going to be amazing. Then Mario Kart, Star Fox, Zelda…what a time to be a kid

RAIDEN1

I need to check out the GC version sometime, I still have the cart of Wave Race 64, but I think I barely touched the GC version when it came out...and soon enough traded it in..

BlackTron

This thread got me to go downstairs to hook up the N64 only to realize I have two Wave Race carts and have no idea how I got two…?

Anyway, this game was a god send when the N64 came out. Y’all remember the N64 launched with two games in the US? Mario 64 and Pilot Wings were awesome, but there was literally nothing else to play. When Wave Race came out it was like holy shit, this console is going to be amazing. Then Mario Kart, Star Fox, Zelda…what a time to be a kid

I never realized Wave Race wasn't a launch game until today because I didn't actually get my 64 until November. All this time I thought the 64 launched with Mario, Pilotwings and Wave Race lol.

And yeah, I often think back to this time and the order that everything came out. Man early N64 days were really tough until games started flowing. But that anticipation made it even more megaton when a game did drop. The way it felt to score and experience for the first time MK, Starfox, Zelda 64, Goldeneye, Star Wars SotE with that opening Hoth level (which became RS), how can you ever create that feeling again. The best time to be a kid.

My N64 cart collection is also a haphazard mess because there was so much cross-pollination with friends and family playing them well over 10 years later. Like I have random games I never bought like Winback, and titles I want and still have the original box for are missing like Smash and Pokemon Stadium. Majora's Mask is gone but for some totally unexplainable anomaly there are two gold OOT and that really stumped me because I never even met anyone else IRL who had it...I dunno man I feel like this is a reflection of the crazy ride it was to game on 64 lol.

clem84

Gold Member
I was never a fan of the first wave race. I remember trying it and for some reason, it just didn't click with me. To be honest I thought it looked kinda bad, and time hasn't been kind to it in that regard.

Blue Storm on the GC, now that was a different story. I remember playing it for months and memorizing and mastering every track. I was honestly just floored by the waves and the weather effects. Phenomenal game. I remember playing Rogue Leader and Waverace non stop for months after getting my GC in November of 2001.

BlackTron

The controller is garbage nowadays and most games are muddy, low FPS messes, but there are some that hold up well. F-Zero is a 60FPS masterpiece for Christ’s sake.

As someone who just last night rebuilt an N64 control stick to try a bunch of games on my new CRT, I must sincerely disagree.

I would use this thing on PC today even.

Konnor

I can't think of any kind of graphics that have aged worse than N64 to be honest.

Playstation 1 has far more dated graphics, mainly because it lacked some basic texture techniques so the games were both pixelated and the pixels were often extremely unstable with constant pop in and pop out. Not ot mention the jaggies and other imperfections. Mario 64 still looks great if you ask me even though it was a launch game of the first 3D console Nintendo ever released.

Dr_Salt

I forgot how good this game was. Had to look up some videos and yea those water physics are pretty impressive for a N64 game. Also the music and chill vibe atmosphere is pretty unique for a racing game.

Is Blue Storm for the GC any good?

sinnergy

I never realized Wave Race wasn't a launch game until today because I didn't actually get my 64 until November. All this time I thought the 64 launched with Mario, Pilotwings and Wave Race lol.

And yeah, I often think back to this time and the order that everything came out. Man early N64 days were really tough until games started flowing. But that anticipation made it even more megaton when a game did drop. The way it felt to score and experience for the first time MK, Starfox, Zelda 64, Goldeneye, Star Wars SotE with that opening Hoth level (which became RS), how can you ever create that feeling again. The best time to be a kid.

My N64 cart collection is also a haphazard mess because there was so much cross-pollination with friends and family playing them well over 10 years later. Like I have random games I never bought like Winback, and titles I want and still have the original box for are missing like Smash and Pokemon Stadium. Majora's Mask is gone but for some totally unexplainable anomaly there are two gold OOT and that really stumped me because I never even met anyone else IRL who had it...I dunno man I feel like this is a reflection of the crazy ride it was to game on 64 lol.
In europe they made a mistake with the launch of Turok some stores had it with launch. 2 months or so early .. was very weird.

Last edited:

BlackTron

In europe they made a mistake with the launch of Turok some stores had it with launch. 2 months or so early .. was very weird.

That is weird because it shows the game was done and ready to go. You would think with N64 they would be getting games out the door ASAP with how many problems there were in the release window.

I've wanted Nintendo to make a new entry in the franchise for a long time now, but I'm not sure they could really pull it off properly. There's a certain atmosphere or tone this game has that would be hard to replicate. This tranquil quality permeates the game even during the more difficult races and it makes for a peaceful experience in a genre more often associated with intensity. Even with Blue Storm you could tell Nintendo was leaning slightly more towards the extreme sports angle compared to 64.

Pilotwings Resort was pretty close to nailing the same tone of Pilotwings 64, though 64 had a smidge more charm to it.

RAIDEN1

I've wanted Nintendo to make a new entry in the franchise for a long time now, but I'm not sure they could really pull it off properly. There's a certain atmosphere or tone this game has that would be hard to replicate. This tranquil quality permeates the game even during the more difficult races and it makes for a peaceful experience in a genre more often associated with intensity. Even with Blue Storm you could tell Nintendo was leaning slightly more towards the extreme sports angle compared to 64.

Pilotwings Resort was pretty close to nailing the same tone of Pilotwings 64, though 64 had a smidge more charm to it.
It was a title that you could show off to the PSX fanboys and Saturn fanboys and say "Your systems would struggle to replicate this from a graphical point of view without question..."

fart town usa

Gold Member
Loved it back in the day. Probably still do but haven't played it in years.

I remember being horrified at the one on GCN. Can't remember what it was about it but I just remember really disliking the game.

Edit- The water physics were mind blowing when it released on the N64. Loved the practice area with the dolphin, so chill.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It was a title that you could show off to the PSX fanboys and Saturn fanboys and say "Your systems would struggle to replicate this from a graphical point of view without question..."
Surely you jest Sir. Saturn fanboys?? You and I know there was only 1 Saturn owner per school back then. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

amigastar

I've read that GTA VI will have sophisticated water physics. Maybe it will beat Wave Race 64 which is still good today.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
First time dusting off my Switch since BOTW because I wanted to dive back into the WaveRace portable experience for the first time since the Gameboy and have not yet procured my Steam Deck.

Anyway, this is one of the best games ever created. Nintendo at their peak. They have never made a game this good since.

I still have yet to play a JetSki or moto water based game that frankly comes even close. The interaction between the JetSki and the water is like some kind of magic trick.

How Nintendo accomplished this in 1996 is insane and the tech almost seems alien compared to anything else at the time it was so advanced.

The racing in this game is still phenomenal (especially on Expert) and it may look crude but it's somehow incredibly beautiful.

Talk about a missed opportunity to remake the game with online.

tumblr_n9zudexoum1qd4q8ao1_500.gifv
blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif

I must of missed this thread the first time, but always glad to see Waverace 64 get a shoutout, such a hidden gem in the N64 collection.

The framerate is a real bummer, especially in PAL land where it was like sub 20 fps, but the game just has this incredible happy childhood vibe about it, bright skies, teal waves and 90's jet skis. It almost feels more like a classic SEGA era title like Daytona USA than a Nintendo first party title.

The music is also nuts, to think this is the same composer who did Animal Crossing's plodding little muzak just baffles my mind. Even things like the sound effects are just the polar opposite of Animal Crossing. Totaka is crazy talented.

Top Bottom