• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 will be released on PC in less than 2 weeks

Way of the Samurai 4 will be released on PC on July 23rd. Ghostlight has been able to fix the remaining bugs in the PC port, and the game will be available for preorder starting on July 16, with a 40% discount from the 24.99 USD price tag.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/way-of-the-samurai-4-gets-release-date

It’s been a long time coming, but I’m delighted to say that the Japanese action game and prestigious ‘Famitsu Gold Award’ winner, Way of the Samurai 4, will be released on Steam on the 23rd July priced at just $24.99.

In addition to this exciting news, I can let you know that there will be a massive 40% Steam Pre-Purchase discount available from the 16th July until the game’s release on the 23rd.

Steam Store page:

store.steampowered.com/app/312780

LProtag

I played the first few but never really understood what I needed to do and never got very far, haha.

Maybe I'll give the series a try again.

Wonder if it'll come to GOG, as well.

Or if it'll be a good port in the first place. I hope so.

Ghostlight's earlier ports are quite good (Agarest series, Flame Over)
The Agarest games are on GOG, so WotS 4 will probably follow the same route.
I played the first few but never really understood what I needed to do and never got very far, haha.

The games got sillier with each installment, but they are still great. Hopefully you'll like it!
Excellent discount. Assuming the UK price is decent, I'll preorder it.

Agarest 2 is 19.99 in the US and 14.99 pounds in the UK. Probably gonna follow a similar pricing structure (so it's a bit pricier on the UK, sadly)

TriAceJP

That's the thing. You don't NEED to do anything. You wander around and do what you want. If you end up getting tied in to a war against the revolutionaries or a rival samurai clan, so be it.

Giever

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been following this game's PC release since it was supposed to be coming out by last Christmas, lol.

bender

What time is it?
I'll give this a whirl as I've yet to play it. Wish we could get the original. I didn't much care for the 2nd or 3rd installments.

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been following this game's PC release since it was supposed to be coming out by last Christmas, lol.

They never promised a solid release date until now, though. Looks like the game was full of bugs, so they had to take the time to fix everything before getting the game out.
I hope it'll sell well, they did a lot of work.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I hope the KB+M controls are functional, I swear if this is another case where it basically requires a gamepad to play I'm gonna be disappointed.

Melinda-Megamelons.jpg

I hope the KB+M controls are functional, I swear if this is another case where it basically requires a gamepad to play I'm gonna be disappointed.

Someone who had access to the beta told me that the kb+m controls aren't bad. I'm not promising anything though, as I wasn't a tester (hopefully Ross won't get mad that I'm sharing what a tester told me)

Can someone tell me what type of game it is? I am mildly interested.

I second this motion.

It's a VERY open ended action adventure game. Players start the game as a nameless Samurai who arrives in a fictional Japanese port town in the middle of the 19th century, just as foreigners start to influence Japanese life. Upon arrival, the player can choose to align with different factions (foreign powers, Shogunate forces or rebels who want to expel the foreigners) This non linear approach also translates to the gameplay, as players are able to experiment with different fighting styles, character customization options (though the character's gender is always male) important decision making and also ten different endings.

Edit: you can also unlock a female character option if you beat the game, forgot to add that.

Is ghostlight bringing out the plus version with all the DLC rolled up into it?

Can someone tell me what type of game it is? I am mildly interested.

action simish. you can make decisions which affect the course of the game. time matters as events happen on specific days. from memory when you die you start the game again from the beginning but with all your stuff from previous runs.

weird and fun, combat is slightly clunky though imo

Is ghostlight bringing out the plus version with all the DLC rolled up into it?

action simish. you can make decisions which affect the course of the game. time matters as events happen on specific days. from memory when you die you start the game again from the beginning but with all your stuff from previous runs.

weird and fun, combat is slightly clunky though imo

I'm not sure about the DLC. People in the Steam forums think that it's not gonna have all the DLC (that they'll sell it separate) but in the blog post Ross wrote that there will be DLC in the release. Dunno what that means exactly though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Someone who had access to the beta told me that the kb+m controls aren't bad. I'm not promising anything though, as I wasn't a tester (hopefully Ross won't get mad that I'm sharing what a tester told me)

That's promising though, because as long as they're functional I'll be pleased.

Durante

Or if it'll be a good port in the first place. I hope so.
I think it's solid, though not exceptional.

Let's start out with the bad:
  • M/KB controls are, well, there, and at least you can use the mouse in menus unlike some other ports, but really, don't play this without a gamepad.
  • Locked 30 FPS.

The good:
  • Arbitrary resolutions are supported.
  • Graphics performance is great. No, seriously, at 5k on a 970 it just uses 45% of my GPU for locked 30 FPS.
  • Frame delivery is very consistent (likely as a result of the great performance). So although it's 30 FPS, I find it playable.
  • The game is pretty interesting and unique.

Here's 2 screenshots downsampled from 5k:
wayofthesamurai4_2015vvuev.jpg

wayofthesamurai4_2015c2utu.jpg

I think it's solid, if not exceptional.

• M/KB controls are, well, there, and at least you can use the mouse in menus unlike some other ports, but really, don't play this without a gamepad.
  • Locked 30 FPS.

The good:
  • Graphics performance is great. No, seriously, at 5k on a 970 it just uses 45% of my GPU for locked 30 FPS.
  • Frame delivery is very consistent (likely as a result of the great performance).

Hot damn, that looks great!
Glad to see that we can get it looking like that with a 970.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

• Locked 30 FPS.

The good:
  • Frame delivery is very consistent (likely as a result of the great performance). So although it's 30 FPS, I find it playable.

Cool, thanks for the breakdown. As long as it's better than the console version (which it clearly looks like it is), I'm in. I love the series, so I want to support it as long as they're putting out a good product.

Durante

Cool, thanks for the breakdown. As long as it's better than the console version (which it clearly looks like it is), I'm in. I love the series, so I want to support it as long as they're putting out a good product.
I never played the console version, but I doubt it was running at 5120x2880 at a locked 30 FPS ;)

• Locked 30 FPS.

The good:

Is the game logic/physics tied to the framerate? Hope someone finds a way to unlock it. Also, even downsampling from 4K has a large amount of blur in the distance, which is irritating. Otherwise though, it's a pretty good port with a few issues here and there.

Almost-instant saving, fast load times, no screen-tearing and a solid framerate automatically make it better than the console version =P

Parsnip

It's a VERY open ended action adventure game. Players start the game as a nameless Samurai who arrives in a fictional Japanese port town in the middle of the 19th century, just as foreigners start to influence Japanese life. Upon arrival, the player can choose to align with different factions (foreign powers, Shogunate forces or rebels who want to expel the foreigners) This non linear approach also translates to the gameplay, as players are able to experiment with different fighting styles, character customization options (though the character's gender is always male) important decision making and also ten different endings.

Edit: you can also unlock a female character option if you beat the game, forgot to add that.

I wish the female character option was there from the start. Maybe some enterprising modder will step in and enable it.

What's the combat gameplay like? I'm looking at some gameplay vids but without context it's just some dude swinging a sword.

I wish the female character option was there from the start. Maybe some enterprising modder will step in and enable it.

What's the combat gameplay like? I'm looking at some gameplay vids but without context it's just some dude swinging a sword.

Nothing too in-depth, but there's a large variety of styles, each with their own movesets to keep things interesting. It's quite fun, but not exactly groundbreaking.

Durante

Is the game logic/physics tied to the framerate?
I don't know, I haven't looked at it in detail. In this case I'm inclined to assume good faith and that they'd have unlocked it if it was not prohibitively complex to do so.

Almost-instant saving, fast load times, no screen-tearing and a solid framerate automatically make it better than the console version =P
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Load times seem basically non-existent.

You can beat the game pretty quickly in order to unlock the female face (there are many ways of beating the WotS games)
I'd also prefer to get the option from the start, but it's not as bad as it seems.

The combat gameplay is hard to explain for me. You have many different stances (and you can learn new skills which get tied to your character and not your sword, as it was with earlier WotS games)
You have to dodge a lot, and you can grab enemies (it's really useful)
Swords can break, and they can also be upgraded.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

• [*]M/KB controls are, well, there, and at least you can use the mouse in menus unlike some other ports, but really, don't play this without a gamepad.
  • Locked 30 FPS.

The good:

This honestly looks solid except for the bolded.

So how bad we talking here? I dont have a gamepad available to me right now so what exactly am I in for?

Is it gonna be like WASD IJKL?

Well honestly these games are kind of designed for multiple play throughs.

This is unexpected (to me) and exciting news. I still have to finish playing through 3, but I'll pick this up for PC for sure.

Now give me Tenchu Z on the PC and I'll be a very happy man. Sure, it reviewed terribly and a lot of fans of the series hate it, but it's still one of my favorite games.

Top Bottom