• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WBgames and Turtle Rock announce new zombie game, 'Back 4 Blood'

Codes 208

Edit:
false Alarm, turns out to be a new game
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...tle-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397

BURBANK, CA – March 14, 2019 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Turtle Rock Studios today announced Back 4 Blood, from the creators and development team behind the critically acclaimed, co-op phenomenon Left 4 Dead. Back 4 Blood is designed from the ground-up as an original, premium title and marries the best of what made the co-op zombie shooter so successful with new features and state-of-the-art technology.

“We are thrilled to partner with the proven Turtle Rock Studios team on Back 4 Blood to advance the co-op zombie genre forward with innovative multiplayer gameplay,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The talented team at Turtle Rock has been developing amazing games together for a long time, and this is a great opportunity to work with them to create a new gaming universe built specifically with the large co-op zombie shooter community in mind.”

“It’s hard to overstate what an awesome opportunity this is. We get to return to a genre that was born in our studio with over ten years of additional experience and zombie ideas racked up in our brains,” said Chris Ashton, Co-founder and Design Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We also have some of the best teammates in the business at WBIE who understand our development process and are equally committed to our player-first mentality. We love being able to announce, so we can start working with the community right away.”

“We are not resting on any past laurels. Our goal is to take all we’ve learned and push forward. We know that’s a tall order,” said Phil Robb, Co-founder and Creative Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We’re growing the team considerably because we’re stepping up to the biggest challenge in this studio’s history. We know this title has to stand out and we fully intend to make that happen.”

For more information on Back 4 Blood, please read the FAQ

Last edited:
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/...tle-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397

BURBANK, CA – March 14, 2019 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Turtle Rock Studios today announced Back 4 Blood, from the creators and development team behind the critically acclaimed, co-op phenomenon Left 4 Dead. Back 4 Blood is designed from the ground-up as an original, premium title and marries the best of what made the co-op zombie shooter so successful with new features and state-of-the-art technology.

“We are thrilled to partner with the proven Turtle Rock Studios team on Back 4 Blood to advance the co-op zombie genre forward with innovative multiplayer gameplay,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The talented team at Turtle Rock has been developing amazing games together for a long time, and this is a great opportunity to work with them to create a new gaming universe built specifically with the large co-op zombie shooter community in mind.”

“It’s hard to overstate what an awesome opportunity this is. We get to return to a genre that was born in our studio with over ten years of additional experience and zombie ideas racked up in our brains,” said Chris Ashton, Co-founder and Design Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We also have some of the best teammates in the business at WBIE who understand our development process and are equally committed to our player-first mentality. We love being able to announce, so we can start working with the community right away.”

“We are not resting on any past laurels. Our goal is to take all we’ve learned and push forward. We know that’s a tall order,” said Phil Robb, Co-founder and Creative Director, Turtle Rock Studios. “We’re growing the team considerably because we’re stepping up to the biggest challenge in this studio’s history. We know this title has to stand out and we fully intend to make that happen.”

For more information on Back 4 Blood, please read the FAQ

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh man, I absolutely love Left 4 Dead 2, but after the amount of microtransactions in Evolve, it's hard to feel excited about Turtle Rock making any sort of successor.

ultrazilla

Funny that Turtle Rock is calling this Back 4 Blood(subtle shot at Valve not being able to count to 3?)

I'll never grow tired of horde mode zombie gameplay/games. Sure, there have been a ton of "zombie" games but
a vast majority of them are garbage.

Also, Turtle Rock broke back off from Valve a year or so ago I believe.

Codes 208

Funny that Turtle Rock is calling this Back 4 Blood(subtle shot at Valve not being able to count to 3?)

I'll never grow tired of horde mode zombie gameplay/games. Sure, there have been a ton of "zombie" games but
a vast majority of them are garbage.

Also, Turtle Rock broke back off from Valve a year or so ago I believe.
I suppose it’s a subtle “fine, if you won’t make l4d3 then we will.”

Also turtle rock broke off from valve several years ago. Evolve was published by 2k back in 2014, not valve.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Well it will have to do so long as it's not another Evolve.

Ribi

Evolve as a game was fucking amazing. Not so with the mtx but as a game it's really good. The characters and small back story was very interesting. I'm all in on turtle rock and will be looking forward to b4b.

mcz117chief

Evolve as a game was fucking amazing. Not so with the mtx but as a game it's really good. The characters and small back story was very interesting. I'm all in on turtle rock and will be looking forward to b4b.
Yeah, I played Evolve Stage 2 a lot and REALLY enjoyed it. I had over 50 hours in that game, so much fun. A shame they turned it off.

TeamGhobad

Banned

it was awful are u kidding me, the concept was not strong enough to warrant an entire game around it. and the gameplay was abysmal. u could only attack the monster once the trap was set which is awful. just awful.

Closer

Evolve 2 BABY!

Is this a Battle Royale game F-Zero X style where you need to race and kill others in a race-style track with harsh enviroment and become the last one standing to win the chance to fuse with another being to Evolve 2 Baby?

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I played Evolve back in 2013 when they were advertising the game. I really wanted to play it but 2K killed that game with microtransactions really fast. Still though, if this game is similar then yeah I'm down.

-MD-

Evolve was terrible in almost every way.

it was awful are u kidding me, the concept was not strong enough to warrant an entire game around it. and the gameplay was abysmal. u could only attack the monster once the trap was set which is awful. just awful.
It was "awful" because you had retarded teammates who were incapable or unwilling to learn their roles.

But when you had a competent team vs a competent monster player, it was some of the most engaging cat-and-mouse gameplay (like L4D Versus) you could find in a videogame.

Last edited:

DonF

Cool! as that twitter said, there is nothing like left 4 dead. I still load it from time to time on the pc, play a quick campaign ...and it holds up.

Fbh

So it's basically L4D 3 in everything but name, right?

Cool.

Oh man, I absolutely love Left 4 Dead 2, but after the amount of microtransactions in Evolve, it's hard to feel excited about Turtle Rock making any sort of successor.

Stuff like Microtransactions and how to implement them are generally decided by the Publisher though, not the developer. And 2K, which Published Evolve, is notoriously shit when it comes to them.

With that said, WBGames isn't much better.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Was very happy to hear this the other day. They are a solid team and Evolve may have been bad, but I hope people are able to understand for better or worse, a team is more then 1 game.

They are a great MP team and that is a very, very difficult thing to do in this industry, like you don't come across quality MP titles as often as single player. If it has the same concept, design, DNA from Left 4 Dead, its a day 1 for me.

Ribi

Evolve was terrible in almost every way.
The game was really good especially when team work was on point. You had to know the routes and tendencies of the monster as well as take a few risks for a dome trap. Of course im biased since i came from a left 4 dead competitive background. Hell even still you can play Evolve with 40 people online on pc so something is keeping em there. And no its not as bad as you think.

Last edited:
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 were the most fun I've ever had playing online.

While I wish we could get an official Left 4 Dead 3, I'll take a spiritual successor over nothing.

Can we just get rid of the generic horde mode? All these games like Overkill's TWD, World War Z, etc. don't have much going for them, all you do is shoot at a bunch of enemies. There's no survival aspect, just a mindless shooting gallery.

I hope they change up the formula because too many games try to copy L4D and they don't even come close, heck I didn't even like L4D that much or any Valve game for that matter, so playing wannabe L4D games is even worse.

magaman

Banned
This is going to be a future GOTY. Evolve was wildly underrated, and if they can provide the L4D fix that is so sorely missed, they'll have a breadwinner for years to come.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The issue with Evolve was that it was mostly a run fest and then combat boiled down to who had the most mechanical skill. It rarely let players make fun or interesting choices during a match.

Hopefully they rebound with this.

If there are any/many of the same devs involved as the OG L4D crew, they have to realize that a ton of people (myself included) are giving them the wary side eye because of Evolve. They have a lot to prove after that MTX greed infested disaster. But I'll remain guardedly optimistic if only bc L4D/L4D2 are collectively perhaps my favorite MP game(s) of all time. I remain very hopeful.

Top Bottom